Thai food the best in the world?

Grateful farang

if you like plenty sugar,"fermented" stuff,MSG and deep frying is your prefered cooking method than you are right.

You are, obviously, eating in the wrong places.

Try eating with thai people, then you will get it

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For me Thai food was untill a few years ago a no go... I just didn't like anything except Pad Thai.... then I met my gf and she cookes Thai food every day. I don't say I like everything, but nowadays I love (her) Thai food. I like Japanese as well, for me nr 2. Brazilian food can be pretty good, if you like "basic" food. The worst for me is from my own country, Dutch food.... just one of the most boring foods ever...

What I also like very much is Indonesian food and Malay food. I might still prefer some of it over Thai food. But hey, once you taste the food my gf cooks...

I have it on good authority that the Dutch pretty much consider Indonesian food as being Dutch food. wai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

1.French

2.Japanese

3.Thai

4.Chinese

1.McDonalds

2.Subway

3.7/11

4.Big C

5.Burger King

6,Chicago Pizza

7.KFC

Burger King is far superior to McD's and Carl Jr's is the best fast food burger I know of in Thailand. They even do beer.

if you like plenty sugar,"fermented" stuff,MSG and deep frying is your prefered cooking method than you are right.

You are, obviously, eating in the wrong places.

Try eating with thai people, then you will get it

Royal Thai and Chiang Mai are the top Thai Foods.

I read an article once malaysia and thailands cuisines were compared as being the same

The article claimed thailand copied malaysian dishes and credited malaysia as being the originators of that cooking style.

That I doubt very much. There are few, if any similarities and of all the SE Asian countries I rate Malaysia as having the worst food.

Yeah not much like Thai. But have you tried char kway teow? Murtabak? (Indian Malay) Some Malaysian hawker food is delicious too.

Best SE Asian cuisine - Thai

Worst cuisine - Philippines

Best dishes - Murtabak, pho bo & som tam (haa met) khao niao gai yang

True though there are a couple of Filipino dishes I like (suckling pig for example).

And the best Indonesian food I had was in Amsterdam.

As for the people pointing out Mickey Dee's and the like: they obviously have underdeveloped taste buds.

@jimbolai

Thanks for the reply

1. French

2.. Japanese

3. Thai

4. Chinese

Yes!

Macdonalds andburger king? You must be joking!

I saw a video on youtube where a man abe finkelstein boasts and talks about human meat being ground up and put into the fast food industry

He said: We make sure you eat it in sausages for breakfast and in your hamburgers for lunch.

This evil man should be arrested

Abe finkelstein of new york

Thailand, together with Laos and Vietnam, has the highest liver cancer rate in the world, due to parasitic worms that they ingest with their food prepared with fermented fish. Be careful of what you eat here, especially in the Isaan region! The Thais also use astronomical amounts of MSG in their soups and sauces, and that includes the so-called high-end restaurants. Some people can stand it, many others cannot. It makes me very sick. I avoid Thai food whenever I can.

I'm sorry but to say parasitic worms are the cause of high liver cancer rates in Thailand, Laos and Vietnam is an unqualified statement. To add it comments about personal taste is nothing more than a biased opinion.

Thai food is on the whole very healthy, with fish, rice and variation in fruits and vegetables. High levels of alcohol consumption and exposure to poor water quality over a life time probably put more of a strain on the liver than occasional exposure to fermented fish.

Thailand, together with Laos and Vietnam, has the highest liver cancer rate in the world, due to parasitic worms that they ingest with their food prepared with fermented fish. Be careful of what you eat here, especially in the Isaan region! The Thais also use astronomical amounts of MSG in their soups and sauces, and that includes the so-called high-end restaurants. Some people can stand it, many others cannot. It makes me very sick. I avoid Thai food whenever I can.

I'm sorry but to say parasitic worms are the cause of high liver cancer rates in Thailand, Laos and Vietnam is an unqualified statement. To add it comments about personal taste is nothing more than a biased opinion.

Thai food is on the whole very healthy, with fish, rice and variation in fruits and vegetables. High levels of alcohol consumption and exposure to poor water quality over a life time probably put more of a strain on the liver than occasional exposure to fermented fish.

not according to a public health doctor I talked to

Eating raw ba-lah (fermented fish) is not a good idea and most Thais cook it now but there is a parasitic worm that Thais pick up in their childhood from not wearing shoes and takes decades to enter the liver. Sorry I can't remember what it's called.

@hanno

Hello

When i'm in thailand I alway train everyday to keep my weight down

Other wise I would become an obese person

Gaining 3 or 4 stones/42+ lbs

All asian countries have delicious dishes

They probably even got great dishes down in papua new guinea

Them people talking about macdonalds and burger king are having a laugh!

I dont eat that food anymore

Literally for years

I did use to like fillet of fish and fries and thick vanilla milk shake

that was 20 years ago

I've since found out last year that macdonalds put silicone in their food (cheese) that probably explains the plastic chemical taste?

I discovered.a video on youtube in april

A man from new york: abe finkelstein

Is talking and boasting about what they put in macdonalds

Basically human meat

Check out the video on youtube.com/abefinkelstein

No more macdonalds for me

• Like 1

Eating raw ba-lah (fermented fish) is not a good idea and most Thais cook it now but there is a parasitic worm that Thais pick up in their childhood from not wearing shoes and takes decades to enter the liver. Sorry I can't remember what it's called.

and then there is the way they use pesticides and herbicides

Anything from western taste is so normal, eastern play hard with flavors, that is my favorite! I love Thai food, Indian food, Chinese Food (infinite options), Korean are good specially soups in the cool season, those cuisines are the best in the world in my opinion. They use a lot of herbs, it is amazing and healthfully. Of course I'm not talking about junk food on the streets. But I still love lasagna. LOL. thumbsup.gif

I feel very sorry for you, because it is YOU who did not do your research properly. The infestation with liver flukes from fermented freshwater fish IS the reason for the abnormally high incidence of liver cancer among human populations in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and certain provinces of China. The public health physicians know this and try their best to warn the public about this grave danger, but to little avail. All the relatives of my girlfriend in Ubon province died of liver cancer at a relatively young age...

Google it and you will find out about the ugly truth, before accusing other people of biased opinions. You seem to have some business interest to defend!

There are great foods in many parts of the world. It is good to savour the best foods of many different cultures. Hard tack, biscuits and hot tea or coffee at -40C around a campfire in the arboreal forest is very good first thing in the morning. Sum tum would be very strange.

I would be most disappointed going to a French restaurant to find Thai food only on the menu.

Every situation is different. Viva la difference.

• Like 1

The answer is "it depends" (it is not my fault, I work with lawyers). Thai food can be very good if freshly prepared with good quality ingredients. It is kind of like pizza, even bad pizza is OK and better than nothing (here in the USA anyway). I think Thai food is the best when it is properly prepared, wide ranges of bold flavors and flavor combinations. I also like Korean, Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, American, French, Mediterranean, American soul/country, and even some British/Scot food.

1. Mexican

2. Italian

3. Spanish

4. Middle Eastern, Israeli, etc.

5. Thai

Thai can be tasty but lack of red meat, cheese and dairy makes it boring for me after many years. pad gaprow gai 5X per week...O.K...khao ka moo can be nice. also they grow avocados here in Thailand but i never see Thais cook with them. wonderful fruit...avocados.

• Like 1

I read an article once malaysia and thailands cuisines were compared as being the same

The article claimed thailand copied malaysian dishes and credited malaysia as being the originators of that cooking style.

That I doubt very much. There are few, if any similarities and of all the SE Asian countries I rate Malaysia as having the worst food.

Yeah not much like Thai. But have you tried char kway teow? Murtabak? (Indian Malay) Some Malaysian hawker food is delicious too.

Best SE Asian cuisine - Thai

Worst cuisine - Philippines

Best dishes - Murtabak, pho bo & som tam (haa met) khao niao gai yang

True though there are a couple of Filipino dishes I like (suckling pig for example).

And the best Indonesian food I had was in Amsterdam.

As for the people pointing out Mickey Dee's and the like: they obviously have underdeveloped taste buds.

You should give the dinguan (chocolate meat, which is pork, ginger, and fresh pork blood cooked together) a shot, use a blindfold if you must but the taste is really nice. There are probably a dozen or so other dishes that I have tried that are really delicious.

Personally I like a lot of various foods from around the world . Including real Chinese food. (Not the stuff in North America restaurants. You can find real authentic Chinese restaurants in North America.... but only with difficulty.)

During four months in northern Thailand in 2013, I fell in love with Som tam, Khanom sen (with those jelly like chunks of coagulated blood), Pad Thai of course.. Khao soi...(Chiang Mai noodles)...... and all kinds of other foods that I mostly bought from street vendors...

But in a Lisu village far into the mountains north west of Chiang Dao.....(I was the only westerner there) they were having a feast coinciding with Chinese New Year, and honouring the spirits of the ancestors and the local nature spirits... they had all kinds of food... I didn't know what I was eating.... except for some pork dishes... that one of the pigs had been butchered for earlier...

Favorite desert ? ? Mango with sticky rice and lychee ice cream or Durian ice cream....... delicious... :)

By the way.... I think the best sunflower seeds in the world are the sunflower seeds sold by street vendors in those cellophane covered plastic containers... Better than the sunflower seeds in North America...

Yes... I love Thai food.... and I miss it very much.... North American Thai restaurants just don't make it as good..... just not the same,,,,

I'll be returning to Chiang Mai, Thailand in the next year or two.... and never leave...

• Like 1

@ayjaydee

Thanks for the warning

Msg

Maybe who can be sure

But with me if I eat something like: msg , aspartame, fructose or flouridated water, I will soon know if its bad, because I soon feel scratchy

Sensations around my liver, kidneys, or in the case of flouridated water after one bottle of it I start to feel weezy and my mind goes cloudy and its harder for me to think clearly

Fermented fish

Fermented sounds like its been soaked in alcohol?

Alcohol causes liver cancer.

The worst food i've eaten in thailand were kebabs

The actual kebabs were delicious.and for only b60

The problem is the vendors are just playing with their phones at the side of the road, touching his moped, then touches the bread and everything else without washing his hands.

But I never got sick but was unhappy about the lack of hand washing

@catoni

I like to buy from street vendours too

One dark night I saw a vendour and bought some kinda soup

It tasted unusual; like it had some vegatable i've never tasted before in it.

Now you say they put chunks of blood in soup?

The soup did have big square cubes in it.

You say blood? No wonder it tasted funny?

2 years

You cant go back to thailand for 1 to 2 years?

Wow! Long time

I wonna be back for christmas

And thats still to long for me: 6 months

pure torture waiting and atiscipating

@catoni

I like to buy from street vendours too

One dark night I saw a vendour and bought some kinda soup

It tasted unusual; like it had some vegatable i've never tasted before in it.

Now you say they put chunks of blood in soup?

The soup did have big square cubes in it.

You say blood? No wonder it tasted funny?

2 years

You cant go back to thailand for 1 to 2 years?

Wow! Long time

I wonna be back for christmas

And thats still to long for me: 6 months

pure torture waiting and atiscipating

the big red brown cubes in soup are congealed blood