Second generation mobile system to remain serviceable for longer period: Thailand

webfact

Second generation mobile system to remain serviceable for longer period

mobile-phones-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Second generation mobile phone services of both True Move and Advanced Info Service's subsidiary, Digital Phone (DPC), are to continue after the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications (NBTC) said it will extend their services when they expire in September.

The extended period for the two operators to service subscribers of around six millions on the 2G mobile phone system came after the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) ordered the NBTC to put on hold the licence auctions of the 4G mobile phone system.

True Move still has around six million customers on the 1800-MHz spectrum, down from 17 million last October while DPC has 10,000 users, down from 70,000.

The NBTC ordered True Move and DPC to retain their customers for another year after their concessions expired last Sept 15. They are not allowed to acquire new subscribers.

NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said the extension would ensure no service disruption for the over six million subscribers who have not migrated to the 3G system.

But he said the exact extension period has not been decided, adding the dates are expected to be finalised next month.

Auction for the 1800-MHz spectrum for 4G mobile phone system was scheduled for auction in August. But this was suspended by the military junta.

The temporary suspension of the 4G spectrum auction could provide more time for the two operators to proceed with customer migration.

The NBTC needs to amend the regulation governing customer retention after the expiry of 2G mobile concessions in order to avoid any violations.

However, the extension will increase costs for True Move and DPC in retaining their customers for longer.

True Move has posted a cumulative loss of up to 4 billion baht from last September.

Earlier it predicted more than 4 million 2G users may still be using its 2G services by September because more than 1 million of these 2G SIM cards are inactive numbers.

It is encouraging its existing 2G customers to migrate to the company’s 3G networks on both 850- and 2100-MHz spectrums to avoid service disruption.

True Move earlier in February asked the NBTC whether it would allow the company to transfer its existing seven million subscribers to 3G networks by sending text messages without their consent, but this is against NBTC regulations and was rejected.

AIS chief Wichian Mektrakan said DPC is also facing an operations loss each month as revenue from serving only 10,000 users could not offset the operating costs of the networks and services.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/second-generation-mobile-system-remain-serviceable-longer-period/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-20

Unfortunately it is not only True that still uses 2G. Out in rural Thailand many of the cell sites of DTAC and AIS are also 2G.

Not every user has a smartfone or a 3G phone.

I am not sure that having a smartphone is necessary. One phone that I have is an introductory Samsung 650 baht phone. For free, True took out the 2G sim card, and put in a 3G sim card from True Move H. No big deal. Keep your number and everything. Please correct me if I am missing something.

no clue what system my phone is using ???? can you see that some where? is it shown on the phone screen?

what is the advantage of 3G than or is it just more expensive and more gain for the operators???

anyway my phone is working and that is all that counts.

It is encouraging its existing 2G customers to migrate to the company’s 3G networks on both 850- and 2100-MHz spectrums to avoid service disruption.

How about giving them new phones? Give them a couple of choices. Or at least give the customers a 5000 baht credit to be used towards the purchase of a new phone.

Cost of doing business. Write if off. Let's move on with technology.

Well I just changed my True SIM and lost the very economical international connections (1b/min) that my prior InterSIM gave me... which of course no longer works. My phone always shows me as roaming on 3G now and their tech suggested it was because they did not have their own 3G network in Pattaya and outskirts.

I could have left it alone.

no clue what system my phone is using ???? can you see that some where? is it shown on the phone screen?

what is the advantage of 3G than or is it just more expensive and more gain for the operators???

Whether ur phone is a smartphone? what phone ur using? nowadays all smartphone come with 3G.

3G is faster then 2g internet and call quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Edited by solai4

Unfortunately it is not only True that still uses 2G. Out in rural Thailand many of the cell sites of DTAC and AIS are also 2G.

Not every user has a smartfone or a 3G phone.

I am not sure that having a smartphone is necessary. One phone that I have is an introductory Samsung 650 baht phone. For free, True took out the 2G sim card, and put in a 3G sim card from True Move H. No big deal. Keep your number and everything. Please correct me if I am missing something.

Stoli that may work great for you but you probably live in a town or city and not in rural Thailand. That may possibly be what you are getting and I am missing.

I have a True phone site about 50 metres away. It has been there nearly one year. Perhaps they will switch it on one but nobody out here uses True, just AIS and DTAC. The next nearest site is 7 km away on the other side of the hill and we can't get service.

Whether ur phone is a smartphone? what phone ur using? nowadays all smartphone come with 3G.

3G is faster then 2g internet and call quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

3G is faster but only if you have a 3G site for your operator nearby. If not you may roam on another network and that can be expensive.

I know as I have built mobile networks in some 20 countries including AIS, DTAC and Hutch in Thailand.

Edited by billd766

I have Samsung Galaxy Note3, not that old and plenty of options to use. normally using a 12call prepaid card, works fine, even when I was in Indonesia and Malaysia!

Internet normally not used, only around our house on my own network.

Well I just changed my True SIM and lost the very economical international connections (1b/min) that my prior InterSIM gave me... which of course no longer works. My phone always shows me as roaming on 3G now and their tech suggested it was because they did not have their own 3G network in Pattaya and outskirts.

Try researching your phone to see what frequencies it uses. Perhaps your phone does not support True's 3G frequencies. You could try your SIM in different phones to see if they have a better connection to the network also.

So you may need to buy a new phone if it is not supported, or switch to a different carrier that your phone is able to connect to.

Try researching your phone to see what frequencies it uses. Perhaps your phone does not support True's 3G frequencies. You could try your SIM in different phones to see if they have a better connection to the network also.

So you may need to buy a new phone if it is not supported, or switch to a different carrier that your phone is able to connect to.

No apparently I should have done nothing. Since True have now been ordered to keep the 2G network for another year.

I don't have a drawer full of 3G phones to keep swapping to, but the Tech made it manually select to whatever network he thought best. Yes the phone was bought out of Thailand, but only recently. I am not going to waste more money on a new one, just bought a new washing machine, surprisingly they cost less!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1