I won't resign, says Hodgson after England shocker

Jonathan Fairfield

Also am sure that years ago, it was an honour to play for your country, nowadays it seems to be a case of how much money they can earn.

Harry Redknapp coming out with the story about players not wanting to play for their country rubs salt into the wounds

Edited by beano2274

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's getting an absolutely free ride for being completely incompetent at his job rix. what mocking? what hatred? the press are giving him nothing of the stick and outright abuse that eriksson and capello got. so i don't know what you're on about with this european/south american thing apart from it sounding like a very misplaced persecution complex.

hodgson is an overpaid clown. liverpool fans warned england fans of this a while ago. but you wouldn't have it would you?

The mocking and the hatred from the likes of you. The press has gone much easier on him because unlike you, they appreciate that it wasn't only him that failed to deliver, it was the players too.

I've accepted and agreed that Roy made some mistakes and shouldn't stay in his position, not because i particularly think an incoming man will do a better job, but because the job pays an awful lot and unless Roy is willing to work for free, i don't see how he can go on getting that sort of money with the results as they are. Yet to hear from you any acceptance or agreement whatsoever in the failings of the players, besides Rooney of course. The fact that you stay silent on them, give them a free ride, and focus blame entirely on Roy, along with the other fact that you continually defended the job the Capello did, in getting us to the mighty heights of the second round with the most tedious brand of football you are ever likely to see, makes it clear to me that all your comments actually have nothing to do with the job Roy did or football, but to do with your feelings on the man, feelings that get aired and repeated at every single opportunity.

As i said before, it would have made no difference how well we did, even had we won, it was only ever going to be Liverpool players receiving all the possible plaudits, and the manager receiving all the possible blame. Perhaps next time in four years it will be back to a foreign manager at the helm and only the odd few Liverpool players. You'll be able to revert back all the blame to the "overpaid passionless arrogant players".

This topic is about Hodgson.

Should he stay or should he go?

Track record before he took the job was poor.

Deficiencies and strengths of the players is a different debate.

Is he the man to take us forward.

IMHO. No. Never was.

he's getting an absolutely free ride for being completely incompetent at his job rix. what mocking? what hatred? the press are giving him nothing of the stick and outright abuse that eriksson and capello got. so i don't know what you're on about with this european/south american thing apart from it sounding like a very misplaced persecution complex.

hodgson is an overpaid clown. liverpool fans warned england fans of this a while ago. but you wouldn't have it would you?

The mocking and the hatred from the likes of you. The press has gone much easier on him because unlike you, they appreciate that it wasn't only him that failed to deliver, it was the players too.

I've accepted and agreed that Roy made some mistakes and shouldn't stay in his position, not because i particularly think an incoming man will do a better job, but because the job pays an awful lot and unless Roy is willing to work for free, i don't see how he can go on getting that sort of money with the results as they are. Yet to hear from you any acceptance or agreement whatsoever in the failings of the players, besides Rooney of course. The fact that you stay silent on them, give them a free ride, and focus blame entirely on Roy, along with the other fact that you continually defended the job the Capello did, in getting us to the mighty heights of the second round with the most tedious brand of football you are ever likely to see, makes it clear to me that all your comments actually have nothing to do with the job Roy did or football, but to do with your feelings on the man, feelings that get aired and repeated at every single opportunity.

As i said before, it would have made no difference how well we did, even had we won, it was only ever going to be Liverpool players receiving all the possible plaudits, and the manager receiving all the possible blame. Perhaps next time in four years it will be back to a foreign manager at the helm and only the odd few Liverpool players. You'll be able to revert back all the blame to the "overpaid passionless arrogant players".

utter crap as usual i'm afraid. i'm sure you used to be a considered and interesting poster rix. you're all over the place these days.

players didn't play well. gerrard was awful. that make you happier? but he was doing what the clown hodgson told him to do. cahill and jagielka were poor, but they were left exposed by hodgson's amateurish tactics. johnson was crap (happy again? he's liverpool too by the way) as was baines, both also left utterly exposed by the manager's idiotic formation and players picked. and i know it goes against your pisspoor agenda here again but i thought welbeck had a decent first match. he doesn't play for liverpool FYI.

this is a good squad of players who have all, absolutely all of them, performed very well at premier league level and beyond. there is loads of evidence of this, that they are fine footballers. there is practically no evidence of roy hodgson being a top manager. your bringing capello into it and trying to make this about them damn foreigners again is utterly irrelevant - hodgson is an incapable manager, he's failed at every top job he's been appointed to, he's had 21 jobs in 38 years - he is a doddering journeyman at best, a clueless charlatan at the worst. my thoughts on liverpool, capello and anything else have nothing to do with this other than in your misguided head i'm afraid.

Edited by StevieH
  • Like 1

Every 4 years it's the same story.

We've got a great line up this time. We're in with a chance.

Then, when England lose and sooner or later, get kicked out of the running, everybodies surprised and want the manager fired, the coach fired, etc.

Be realistic, if England make it to the final in any World Cup it's a miracle. As for winning......

When was the last time England won the World Cup?

How many times has England won the World Cup since it's inception?

Come on, be realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Every 4 years it's the same story.

We've got a great line up this time. We're in with a chance.

Then, when England lose and sooner or later, get kicked out of the running, everybodies surprised and want the manager fired, the coach fired, etc.

Be realistic, if England make it to the final in any World Cup it's a miracle. As for winning......

When was the last time England won the World Cup?

How many times has England won the World Cup since it's inception?

Come on, be realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Fair point about realism.

However, Hodgson demonstrated a clear lack of tactical acumen.

Is he the man to take England forward into Euro 16 where the competition is also fierce?

The press and football pundits have been remarkably lenient imho.

Hodgson for years and years stuck rigidly to a 4-4-2 set up.

What does the brave adventurous man do at the World Cup?

4-2-4.

Recipe for disaster.

He is not in the same class as the top managers.

Edited by P45Mustang

The problem with England is that you always have higher expectations than other countries. I mean Brazil are allowed to have expectations because they have won it a few times.

England won it in 1966 . After that they have done worse than Germany, France, Spain, Italy and all the great football nations.

No , there's no point in sacking Hodgson . he's a good manager with experience but his problem is to cope with the expectations from the press and England fans , you always think you're gonna win it , don't you?

You don't have the right mix of players to do that . Maybe next time try to focus on the group stages and be happy if you go through to the next round.

England needs SAF.

Yes, I know he's scottish and they are English and Scots and English hate each other blah blah. But maybe it's time to get over that at some point? Also he's probably not interested. But 4 years from now, he might be. A lot can happen in 4 years.

England's players are better individually than what they're doing on the pitch. Look at Costa Rica - it's a team of nobodies, but they play together as a team, with confidence, and they get results because of it. Individually the players are most certainly worse than England. So the difference is the coach. Their performance against Italy was very impressive - they looked rock solid.

Holland is winning because they have Louis v. Gaal - one of the best coaches in the world. You want a man of that caliber to coach your national team if you're serious about it. Is Chelsea going to hire Hodgson? Is ManU? No they are not.

There is no good English coach, and there is no reason the coach has to be English. It's not one of the rules. The only reason to do so is nationalism, and I am quite happy that that mentality gets punished every time ;) Anyway England's not alone with this, Argentina also has zero team spirit, it's just 11 talented guys on the pitch. I don't think they'll get very far either.

English people belive the English players are better than they are doing on the pitch. But there is a reason nearly no English players are bought by the good European clubs outside England. Nearly every other country in Europe have more players in the Spanish, Italian, German or French League

The problem with England is that you always have higher expectations than other countries. I mean Brazil are allowed to have expectations because they have won it a few times.

England won it in 1966 . After that they have done worse than Germany, France, Spain, Italy and all the great football nations.

No , there's no point in sacking Hodgson . he's a good manager with experience but his problem is to cope with the expectations from the press and England fans , you always think you're gonna win it , don't you?

You don't have the right mix of players to do that . Maybe next time try to focus on the group stages and be happy if you go through to the next round.

Nope.

He's an average manager with a very questionable track record if you actually look at at it from a football perspective.

smile.png

• Like 1

Nope.

He's an average manager with a very questionable track record if you actually look at at it from a football perspective.

smile.png

I'm looking at it from a historic perspective , what is the best result in the world cup after 1966 ? In 1990 you had a good team and reached the semifinals. Not a lot to talk about really compared with most big football nations. And 3 times you didn't even qualify to the WC.

So lower your expectations , and Hodgson is not a bad manager, above average anyway .

Here's a little final thought from me for the moment.

If England had Mourinho would we have got out of the group stage?

smile.png

yeah, without a doubt. because he'd have played to the squad's strengths and known that the most important thing in a group stage match is to not lose it.

but then mourinho is an intelligent, successful, trophy-winning manager. and hodgson is not.

• Like 2

smile.png

yeah, without a doubt. because he'd have played to the squad's strengths and known that the most important thing in a group stage match is to not lose it.

but then mourinho is an intelligent, successful, trophy-winning manager. and hodgson is not.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

What we saw was England do their best with limited talent, and there isn't much to be done about it.

It's a long term problem and started a couple of decades ago. It will get worse and may go on for at least a decade if left unchecked.

Where there are problems in an organisation they generally stem from the top and the seeds of the solution lie there too.

The FA needs to change from within, and both FA and FL drastically need to improve coaching.

Sheer misery.

• Like 1

Hodgson should stay, but we need to get rid of the old guys, even Lambert is 32 and that is too old, we have great youngsters who should be given the chance to shine now. The next big tournament is on the horizon, start now with the young guys.

Bye bye Gerrard, Lambert, and all those over 26.

....and any manager over 60 ( who is patently out of touch with the modern game.) ?

facepalm.gif

That is the other problem we are not producing young good quality managers at the moment and relying on the older

ones. This is another aspect that needs looking into. But who is willing to do the job?

I reckon Glenn Hoddle would be willing to do the job, if it were offered to him.

He also had a win ratio of 60% when he managed the England team in 1996 -99

and was sacked for non footballing reasons by being misinterpreted by the UK media.

He has all the credentials and age on his side.

Edited by sotsira

Hodgson should stay, but we need to get rid of the old guys, even Lambert is 32 and that is too old, we have great youngsters who should be given the chance to shine now. The next big tournament is on the horizon, start now with the young guys.

I am amazed at that. If you manager is not successful and his, erm, omelette is much worse than the eggs he put in to say it with Mourinho, then the manager must go. It's as clear cut a case as any. Why hold on to the guy. IMO if you're England, with an English-FA-size budget, you need to hire one of the top managers in the world.

I feel sorry for the English but it's a home-made mess, and it's not due to lack of player talent.

• Like 2

There is no good English coach, and there is no reason the coach has to be English. It's not one of the rules. The only reason to do so is nationalism, and I am quite happy that that mentality gets punished every time wink.png

What is that supposed to mean? Nationalism. You say it like it's a dirty word. You may not have noticed this but the World Cup is a competition of nations. If you want nationalism to be punished you'd better cancel the whole thing... either that or start allowing countries to field players from any country they like.

It is what you make it!

I love the world cup - it's teams coming together from all different parts of the planet, the teams are kinda mixed up randomly because you can't buy nationality (well except all the braziian born ... ahem... but for the most part you can't), and it's a great huge footballing party! If you're from one of the countries in the finals you can cheer for your team, or if not you can pick one to cheer for.

Nationalism is a disease of the mind ( I think Einstain said that, BTW). The core of it is that a person belonging to a particular group that they were born into without any choice is better than a person belonging to another particular group they were born into without any choice.

• Like 1

I am amazed at that. If you manager is not successful and his, erm, omelette is much worse than the eggs he put in to say it with Mourinho, then the manager must go. It's as clear cut a case as any. Why hold on to the guy. IMO if you're England, with an English-FA-size budget, you need to hire one of the top managers in the world.

I feel sorry for the English but it's a home-made mess, and it's not due to lack of player talent.

Didn't they have an Italian manager?

smile.png

Maybe, but I doubt it.

What we saw was England do their best with limited talent, and there isn't much to be done about it.

It's a long term problem and started a couple of decades ago. It will get worse and may go on for at least a decade if left unchecked.

Where there are problems in an organisation they generally stem from the top and the seeds of the solution lie there too.

The FA needs to change from within, and both FA and FL drastically need to improve coaching.

Sheer misery.

Disagree.

Loads of talent in England squad. Witness the game against Italy.

They all play Premier league as first choice players in top table teams.

They need harnessing, cultivating and organising.

Then we go beyond group stage. How much further would depend on player commitment and the manager's skills.

ie. winning without necessarily having the best squad.

Hodgson can not do this.

• Like 1

smile.png

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Sheer misery.

i agree about there being systemic problems through the FA and premier league, absolutely. root and branch reform needed. but good luck with that one.

but you're not telling me a half-decent manager couldn't have done more with this squad of players. and worryingly for england fans, the FA appears to be giving hodgson a free pass and even a pat on the back for this tactically inept debacle.

• Like 1

....and any manager over 60 ( who is patently out of touch with the modern game.) ?

facepalm.gif

That is the other problem we are not producing young good quality managers at the moment and relying on the older

ones. This is another aspect that needs looking into. But who is willing to do the job?

I reckon Glenn Hoddle would be willing to do the job, if it were offered to him.

and was sacked for non footballing reasons by being misinterpreted by the UK media.

glenn hoddle is mental and hasn't managed any kind of a team in about eight years. this is how desperate england are?

• Like 1

Let me run this thought past everyone.

How come Costa Rica managed to beat both Italy and Uruguay?

How come Argentina just about got past Iran with a 1 nil victory.

When you get to the world cup there are no easy teams.

Costa Rica do not have more talented players than Italy or Uruguay.

Iran do not have players in the calibre of Argentina.

Costa Rica and Iran got lucky?

Or were they organised and committed?

Costa Rica and Iran both have astute managers who understand the modern game.

Is Roy Hodgson of this calibre?

Maybe we'll get lucky against Costa Rica?

Never mind the talent pool, England need to load the dice in their favour with a world class manager.

At the moment we don't have one.

• Like 1

Never mind the talent pool, England need to load the dice in their favour with a world class manager.

Costa Rica and Iran have players with hearts that give 110% in every game. And love playing for their country in the World Cup.

England so so

Costa Rica and Iran have players with hearts that give 110% in every game. And love playing for their country in the World Cup.

England so so

england players absolutely love playing for their country in a world cup. and the problem still wasn't lack of effort, it was lack of organization, coaching and tactical clue.

these costa rica and iran lads aren't just sprinting about 100mph thumping their chests in displays of mad patriotism you know. they're being sent out with defined tactical plans by their managers and they're executing them well.

• Like 1

England so so

Need a guillotine....or an inspirational motivational manager then.

Lack of player commitment is an easy let off for Hodgson.

I accept the argument that Costa Rica boys will play their hearts out because they are underdogs, or because they want to shine on the world stage to further their careers.

But you need something as well as heart against Uruguay and Italy or they will rip you to shreds.

Same for the boys from Iran playing Argentina.

Edited by P45Mustang

England so so

england players absolutely love playing for their country in a world cup. and the problem still wasn't lack of effort, it was lack of organization, coaching and tactical clue.

these costa rica and iran lads aren't just sprinting about 100mph thumping their chests in displays of mad patriotism you know. they're being sent out with defined tactical plans by their managers and they're executing them well.

Agree.

Insulting to the England team imho to suggest they are not disappointed getting out of the group stage.

facepalm.gif

glenn hoddle is mental and hasn't managed any kind of a team in about eight years. this is how desperate england are?

If the FA were to replace Hodgson with another englishman, they wouldn't have that many to choose

from that are young enough with playing and managerial experience apart from Hoddle.

Otherwise they would have to look for a foreigner.

Then the debate would be whether a foreigner should be the England manager?