Public input to be welcomed : Prayuth

Lite Beer

There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions and refine them down to form a bullet-point petition of ideas to correct the main issues, and present it to Gen. Prayuth.

I know the nay-sayers will be all "He'll never listen to farangs", and "We'd never get a consensus", however, to the first point I'd say that 1. It's worth a try, 2. If you don't try you will certainly not succeed, 3. Gen. Prayuth appears to be actually quite worldly in his approach and has been quite "unThai" at times, and 4. The General is smart enough to know that although not part of the electorate, the condensed views of tens of thousands of worldly and Thai-experienced people is worth a read, and to the second obstacle, well, that's why there's a committee, to find a consensus on the issues.

Maybe a special TVF subforum to accept suggestions and nominations for committee members? A subforum strictly only for submissions, with no replies, quotes or debate.....the committee do the debating based on the submissions. After submissions close, the forum is view-only to non committee members while the committee debate publicly.

Even if it doesn't bear fruit, it would be an interesting excersise.

are you serious? I only see the dregs of western society here

Them mirrors...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions and refine them down to form a bullet-point petition of ideas to correct the main issues, and present it to Gen. Prayuth.

I know the nay-sayers will be all "He'll never listen to farangs", and "We'd never get a consensus", however, to the first point I'd say that 1. It's worth a try, 2. If you don't try you will certainly not succeed, 3. Gen. Prayuth appears to be actually quite worldly in his approach and has been quite "unThai" at times, and 4. The General is smart enough to know that although not part of the electorate, the condensed views of tens of thousands of worldly and Thai-experienced people is worth a read, and to the second obstacle, well, that's why there's a committee, to find a consensus on the issues.

Maybe a special TVF subforum to accept suggestions and nominations for committee members? A subforum strictly only for submissions, with no replies, quotes or debate.....the committee do the debating based on the submissions. After submissions close, the forum is view-only to non committee members while the committee debate publicly.

You really think anyone would listen to ideas put forward on TVF? It would probably be the worste thing you could do at this time. It will probably be hard enough for the General to get a concencus from the current politicians and academics, especially if they come with their agendas to the debate, you think TVF members will somehow come to the rescue, the saviours of Thailand? cheesy.gif

Did you think the ask the owners of the forum, if the forum was created for such a purpose? You might actually succeed in closing down the forum whistling.gif

However, If you do continue with this, leave it till the main issues have been resolved and there is an interim council. The only issues you should involve yourselves in would be immigration regulations that could be relaxed, in so far as it has to do with those of us who settled in Thailand and have families.For example the 90 day reporting, really is a waste of time and effort. And maybe talk about cleaning up some of the more corrupt immigration offices who charge for the 90 day report, when it should be free of charges, for example! And maybe it should be done by some of the wives of such members, who could present this to the relevant immigration officials!

But stay out of Thai politics, If you want to be active in politics I am sure you own country needs you more?giggle.gif

• Like 1

OK, How to contact the General?

Does anyone know?

Facebook or that nice looking movie star colonel?

I tried that - no luck.

Have you got a link?

Try flashing the three finger sign in a Bangkok Mall. They will even send a Taxi for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What a stupid thing to ask...Input welcome as long as its in line with current thinking by a certain group they mean .... Hmmm

'they mean' ?

It would seem you forgot to add the 'IMHO'. Of course if you have access to additional information to explain the 'they mean', please kindly share with us

Sorry cant share, its not allowed here under the wonderful current rules restricting freedom of speech, so obviously the info dosnt exist. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

I could reply meaningfully to this, but the forum rules inhibit me somewhat. Mind you, those forum rules were in place before we had the 'coup' and martial law declared.

Now if you want to start a discussion with info you only hint at, but cannot share, you more-or-less kill off the 'discussion' part. Obviously that's not (nor ever will be) your fault, it's just that you can't and any one reading your post should simply believe what you write and / or imply.

Maybe only the last part of your post makes real sense, "the info doesn't exist" rolleyes.gif

Rubi im not Thai so I dont rely on one website or country that is restricting information. The moment im told to I know theres more to it and go research. If you wish to stay uninformed that is your affair, i understand your Thai so its almost impossible to break your conditioning of believing what you are told to by authority. Plus its a lot less effort.

I never was much into group think camps, personally I prefer as much varied opinion and information as possible, pretending there isnt anything else because thats convenient to your group think dosnt mean its not out there or mean its not important or even untrue, just that youd rather not have to face or deal with it. Sok I forgive you, im perfectly used to that here. :)

Group think and idealism never were my strong points. Critical thinking and reality is.

I could reply meaningfully to this, but the forum rules inhibit me somewhat. Mind you, those forum rules were in place before we had the 'coup' and martial law declared.

Now if you want to start a discussion with info you only hint at, but cannot share, you more-or-less kill off the 'discussion' part. Obviously that's not (nor ever will be) your fault, it's just that you can't and any one reading your post should simply believe what you write and / or imply.

Maybe only the last part of your post makes real sense, "the info doesn't exist" rolleyes.gif

Rubi im not Thai so I dont rely on one website or country that is restricting information. The moment im told to I know theres more to it and go research. If you wish to stay uninformed that is your affair, i understand your Thai so its almost impossible to break your conditioning of believing what you are told to by authority. Plus its a lot less effort.

I never was much into group think camps, personally I prefer as much varied opinion and information as possible, pretending there isnt anything else because thats convenient to your group think dosnt mean its not out there or mean its not important or even untrue, just that youd rather not have to face or deal with it. Sok I forgive you, im perfectly used to that here. smile.png

Group think and idealism never were my strong points. Critical thinking and reality is.

No offence meant, old chap.

Since I'm not Thai, but Dutch as in 'from the Netherlands', plus always and consistently proclaim to be Dutch and being a 'Dutch uncle', would you like to rephrase your reply accordingly?

Sure, then im actually very surprised you speak as you do, as your Dutch you should really know better than to get caught up in group think propaganda. No excuse for it really, no offence. Hows that ?

My dear, dear chap, assuming you're as English as that Oak, I'm slightly offended by this post which is in reply to mine, but not seen as reply. Especially since I posed the question "would you like to rephrase your reply accordingly?"

Anyway the 'you should know better' relates to some assumptions you make rather than to me being Dutch, Thai, or from Mars.

This discussion started with you posting "What a stupid thing to ask...Input welcome as long as its in line with current thinking by a certain group they mean .... Hmmm "

Now once more, 'they mean'? Would it seem you are going on about 'group thinking' and make other accusations, but show similar 'group thinking' yourself?

Since we're stuck with the NCPO for now thanks to the stupidity of Thaksin and his Pheu Thai trying to push through his amnesty a.o., it would be better to co-operate and really try to provide the input necessary to move in the right direction even if that may upset some posters here.

Told you already that information is restricted here, my dear im not going try and debate anything with someone who has their mind made up already, fly's a particular colour so strongly and has no interest in seeing a bigger picture. Your blame totally on PTP for the current situation rather than Thai society and its refusal to grow up and take even an ounce of shared responsibility for the state of the nation is a perfect example...

I have no loyalty to any of them so forgive me if I refuse to go along with the new lots propaganda lines any more than I did with the last one.

So far I find nothing unexpected in appointments or dismissals nor is it really inclusive in engaging all sides, no surprises though, Its a feudal mentality here and I dont expect that to change anytime soon or in the future.

Im happy to sit on the sidelines look at them all, digest all the information I find, form my own opinion and enjoy having a giggle at those who won't stand back and take a longer and deeper neutral look. You'll have to go without me expanding any further, freedom of speech isnt even what it used to be here. Not that it was ever really free just conditional.

im sure the Junta will fix everything just great, harmony and unity will reign and Thailand will become the dragon and shining moral example of SE Asia. And then I woke up .........

Adios wai2.gif

So many intellectual people here, who just cannot stop going on about the past, you're never going to be able to move forwards if you keep a hold of the past, it's done and dusted, can't be changed, but what can be done by everyone, is that what you do today, can change what happens tomorrow, nothing you can do or say can ever change what happened yesterday.

Get rid of the constant referrals to what Thaksin did, if people are serious about this, then it's forward thinking that gets things done and noticed, not harping on about the past events.. If you want to Change Thailand for the better, part of the Generals reconciliation means having to let go of the past, and let them fade away as bitter memories. If you can't let go of the past, you will never be happy in the future.

When the General said public input would be welcomed, I don't think he had Farangs in mind, otherwise he would have said it straight out. And the thing is, what qualifies one to be "influential" enough to put forward these ideas? I see a lot of posts slagging off "sexpats" and the bar boys, but what if one of them had some good ideas, you still going to look down on them as "bottom feeders" or the type of tourists who give the "tourists and long timers here a bad name and guilt by association" ?

It would simply descend into a slagging match just like most of the other descent threads on here, there are some members who seem to act incredibly snobbish, and believe they're better than everyone else, it's an internet forum, where people of all shapes and sizes and background congregate because they all have one thing in common, and that's Thailand and I don't believe there's anyone who resides here, who doesn't want things to improve, from the shit roads, to the inability to buy land, to poor schooling, to ridding the place of corruption.

Not everyone has Masters degrees in Political sciences, or have University Education, or are self made millionaires, Professional people, like lawyers, Doctors, Academics, some blokes are just normal hard working, routine blokes, that many wouldn't even say good morning to, don't judge books by their covers, and accept that all the ideas that would be put forwards, from guys with 10 post, to the guys with 25,000 posts, respect them all, and you'll get the respect back .

I'll listen to what you say, so long as you agree with me. If you don't, then I'll get my men to terrify you into shutting up.

Another kids post, I see you don't want to know with your over the top post. Biased to the extreme .

Call it what you like, in your simple way of shouting others down, but if you read the news you'll know that people who criticise the junta are being routinely locked up and told to shut up.

In a regime where civilians face court martial for opposing the generals, offering an opinion that disagrees with theirs is risky by any measure. They'll likely hear only supporting voices.

• Like 1

OK, How to contact the General?

Does anyone know?

Facebook or that nice looking movie star colonel?

I tried that - no luck.

Have you got a link?

Try flashing the three finger sign in a Bangkok Mall. They will even send a Taxi for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So no link from you then?

Many thanks for your important contribution.

You might like to switch to this thread:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/269250-worst-joke-ever/

What should be done is to disband all political parties and make them Reregister again where all the regulations about office bearers meeting requirements etc can be checked.

Good time for a fresh start with this and a few parties may end up with less supporters than they claim to have.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

I agree with you, that even if the chances are small, it worth a try to

get some of our ideas in front of him. If you get things going...................count me in.

Thailand is now unquestionably going through a process of fundamental change- politically, socially, and in economic terms. Asean will have an impact sooner rather than later. The uncovering of systematic and long term corruption at all levels is happening, and if there is even a small shift in the spread of assets and wealth, the country will be better off. Example: if many lower level public employees were paid better, there would be less corruption. But where to find the money ? There has to be an acceptance that paying income tax is good for both yourself and the country.

The list of things to change is huge. Political parties will never achieve that. Thais have universal respect for military institutions, as they are comparatively independent. So for Thailand they are currently the best equipped to lead and shape the reform process. So far they are 'walking the talk' and doing a great job. While all parties both political and otherwise do need to have a say, as others have said, they will not own any reforms unless they have contributed to it, and unless there is something in it for them.

It's worth remembering that much of Thai decision making processes, like the legal system is based on compromise, not win/lose as in western democracies, and inevitably the reform process here will involve considerable compromise.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public opinion will be included with the opinions of academics and political parties to help conclude national reform, the junta chief said yesterday.

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) will receive opinions via telephone, mail and websites, General Prayuth Chan-ocha said in his weekly television programme last night.

Correct me if I am wrong - but this is the topic of this thread?

Can anyone give contact details fot "telephone, mail and websites"?

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public opinion will be included with the opinions of academics and political parties to help conclude national reform, the junta chief said yesterday.

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) will receive opinions via telephone, mail and websites, General Prayuth Chan-ocha said in his weekly television programme last night.

Contact details have only been provided privately to people the Junta deem 'morally good persons'.

They include officials of the judiciary, the NACC, the constitutional court, the senators they elected in 2006 and the leaders of the PDRC. No one else is needed.

The Nation

Contact details have only been provided privately to people the Junta deem 'morally good persons'.

They include officials of the judiciary, the NACC, the constitutional court, the senators they elected in 2006 and the leaders of the PDRC. No one else is needed.

Childish pro PTP propaganda post------mods beware.

Actually, I would like the contact details, it is my wife who has a good idea.

Anyway, please don't let me be the one to interrupt your P1$$ing contest

• Like 1

Excuse me, but what is the "temporary shutdown of the hate army propaganda" ?

Sorry I was answering to another poster who is anti army clean-up.

If posters wait to see the outcome of army reforms rather than shouting it down with anti army rhetoric then they will have to run the gauntlet.

The limited censorship is to stop this kind of trouble making, giving the army a clear vision of how it can mend the mess left.

The only ones opposing the army are the ones that cannot be patient, and hate the fact that this is not the time, sorry for those who it affects.

Sorry but I'm not following the argument

"If posters wait to see the outcome of army reforms rather than shouting it down with anti army rhetoric then they will have to run the gauntlet."

Do you mean - posters will have to wait to see the outcome of army reforms, rather than shouting them down (opposing), in which case they will have to run the gauntlet (of arrest etc) - ??

After reading the history books , can we seriously believe the best people to sort things out are the military?

Quote , William Graham Sumner: (critical thinking ..)

"the examination and test of propositions of any kind which are offered for acceptance, in order to find out whether they correspond to reality or not. The critical faculty is a product of education and training. It is a mental habit and power. It is a prime condition of human welfare that men and women should be trained in it. It is our only guarantee against delusion, deception, superstition, and misapprehension of ourselves and our earthly circumstances"

This is something that this country is in dire need of, but anyone capable of it is completely stifled. There is a long tradition of the stifling of dissent with periods that have a certain amount of window dressing, to appear democratic and relatively free. However the underpinning isn't democracy and free thought , it is Unity, conformism and surface value/face value judgements.

You are either going to have a surface value culture that has to turn back at times of disunity, often at the barrel of a gun, or you have to let that society mature and analyse itself, developing ways to deal with its discord.

A situation of forced compromise cannot promote a healthy development in the long run. In can lead to forced unity. But forced unity is exactly that whether it be intrinsic or extrinsic forcing.

Careful mate, you are hampering freedom of speech by raising questions/queries of the Junta according to Ginjag.......

• Like 1

Thanks ginjag,

If you find any addresses etc, I would welcome them.

Smutcakes was the third such nonsense post and I would ignore them all.

(Trying not to feed the Troll)

"There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions ..."

Or he could just read through a few of the threads on Thai Visa already filled with posts from these smart, Thai-experienced guys who dispense their wisdom without the bother of bullet points or committees.

Of course virtually none of the whining suggestions have anything to do with improving life for the citizens of Thailand, but if he's thinking of turning the country into a Club Med for layabout foreigners and/or a refugee camp for indigent farangs, he should find an unending list of changes that need to be made ... higher balcony railings, unfettered borders, no qualifications for foreign teachers, free jet-skis, an end to Songkran ... the very things that all Thais are clamoring for.

And all that free advice from those whose only qualification is a fair complexion and an out-sized ego. Sounds like an offer he can't refuse. I wouldn't be surprised if, after reading some of those posts, he decided to reimpose curfew and tighten immigrations procedures.

Edited by Suradit69

• 2 weeks later...

I had been hunting for a contact address and this is it

The NCPO hotline is www.1111.go.th, PO 1111, and phone 1111.

The website looks very good too.

Many thanks to. MikeN for finding it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by laislica

Yes. Very nice. But unless you are fluent in written AND spoken Thai, waste of time for FALANG.

Yes. Very nice. But unless you are fluent in written AND spoken Thai, waste of time for FALANG.

Indeed, you are correct.

To provide content you need a Thai ID.

Thai wives have them.

The problem is IMHO, that many Thais do not like to make waves or potentially cause trouble in case it rebounds on them.

For evil to be successful, it only needs good people to do nothing (or something like that)

I think it is great that the site even exists and I wish there was such a site in my home country!

Finally, where it says that the General welcomes input from the public, I assume he means the Thai public so fair enough that the website is in Thai.

Perhaps, Farang with Thai wives could encourage their wife's to provide some input?