How to use EM

I just purchased a bottle of EM to use on my lawn. It came together with another substance in a half liter bottle and a brochure, completely in Thai.

I understand that the EM has to be diluted 1/1000, please correct me if wrong, but have no idea how to dilute the other substance and what that actually is.

I have the intention to spray about 150 liter of the solution on 300m² of lawn. Would that be enough ?

Thanks for your help.

Take a look at the aquaponics thread. There was a bit of a discussion a few days back about EM. There a couple of guys there that seem pretty well versed in the topic. Only time I used it was in my fish tanks and just dumped 5lt right into the system. It didn't come with a second bottle though

ok , well something is not correct the EM bottle on the far right is the real deal , the other two i have no idea what they are , again i use it and never mix it with anything else ... never dilute just use it straight ...

ok , well something is not correct the EM bottle on the far right is the real deal , the other two i have no idea what they are , again i use it and never mix it with anything else ... never dilute just use it straight ...

Both bottles on the right are the real deal, since the picture is taken from the Emro-Asia website, and is also available on their brochure.

The bottle on the left is the mixed solution.

The bottle on the far right isn't mixed already, it should be diluted 1/1000.

Edited by JesseFrank

i add mine to my fish tanks and floating rafts , undiluted and never had a problem , sorry Jesse but your pic is confusing , the original EM bottle is on the right from the manf in Japan , i have seen that brand as well ...but what does the second bottle look like that you talk about ? is that the middle bottle ? what does it smell of molasses? can you not get a thai to translate for you ?

i add mine to my fish tanks and floating rafts , undiluted and never had a problem , sorry Jesse but your pic is confusing , the original EM bottle is on the right from the manf in Japan , i have seen that brand as well ...but what does the second bottle look like that you talk about ? is that the middle bottle ? what does it smell of molasses? can you not get a thai to translate for you ?

This is the page of Emro where the picture comes from.The bottles look exactly as in the picture. Emro asia is the producer of EM worldwide.

http://www.emro-asia.com/prepare-em/2/%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%98%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3-em-%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7

I don't know how molasses smell, but I guess that is what it is. I can understand how much to dilute both products, but the question is actually, how much of the mixed solution should be used per 100m² .

Of course when you add EM to a fish tank it gets diluted inside the tank, isn't it ?

You can do it in 3 ways.

1. That is no harm in using EM straight from the bottle, just pour the 1 litre of EM into a 20 litre tank of water (back pack sprayer) and spray off on the 300sqm lawn immediately. No need to add sugar cane molasses (the black sticky liquid of sweet & sour smell).

2. For future usage and of economical reason, expand the density and the shelf live of EM by mixing with 1 litre of molasses, 1 litre of EM and 18 litre of water (stir until molasses dissolve). Now you have 20 litre of EMA (secondary brew), distribute them into 20 (1 litre) plastic Cola bottles, seal the bottle tight and store in a dark cool place with no sunlight. Shelf live is best before 6 months but once you open the bottle you should use it within 7 days for result.

Just grab a couple of bottles and mix in the 20 liter backpack sprayer and use immediately. Don't do a third brew with additional molasses and water, it is unbalance and PH level is very acidic.

3. If you do a EMA base on 1/3 of each ingredients. Mixing 1 litre of EM, 1 litre of molasses and 1 litre of water (stir until molasses dissolve), distribute into 3 plastic Cola bottles ( 1 litre/bottle) and store in a dark cool place with no sunlight. Shelf live is 3 years.

I am among a few posters here using EM on regular basis.

Cheers smile.png

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, you are the poster I was waiting for.

I've set my mind already on distributing it through the irrigation system though, as I have purchased the whole setup already. 150 liter tank connected to the system.

I have about 800 m² of lawn divided into 3 more or less equal zones. Do I understand that I will need 1 liter of EM per zone or can I make more use of it by mixing the molasses with it ?

Can it be used straight after I mixed it with the molasses or does it need some "maturing" time ?

well my pigs like it,,

food grade to them,

i buy my molassas strait out of a big tank, the ones you see on a road tanker, i cant for the life of me remember how much we pay for 10ltrs,

but if you ask around the suger plants they will tell you were to buy it,

i soak corn in a diluted mix of molasses and em for 24hours for the pigs that are 80kilo and over, but the smaller ones get a little too, brings them on a treat,

jake

• Like 1

You can do it in 3 ways.

1. That is no harm in using EM straight from the bottle, just pour the 1 litre of EM into a 20 litre tank of water (back pack sprayer) and spray off on the 300sqm lawn immediately. No need to add sugar cane molasses (the black sticky liquid of sweet & sour smell).

2. For future usage and of economical reason, expand the density and the shelf live of EM by mixing with 1 litre of molasses, 1 litre of EM and 18 litre of water (stir until molasses dissolve). Now you have 20 litre of EMA (secondary brew), distribute them into 20 (1 litre) plastic Cola bottles, seal the bottle tight and store in a dark cool place with no sunlight. Shelf live is best before 6 months but once you open the bottle you should use it within 7 days for result.

Just grab a couple of bottles and mix in the 20 liter backpack sprayer and use immediately. Don't do a third brew with additional molasses and water, it is unbalance and PH level is very acidic.

3. If you do a EMA base on 1/3 of each ingredients. Mixing 1 litre of EM, 1 litre of molasses and 1 litre of water (stir until molasses dissolve), distribute into 3 plastic Cola bottles ( 1 litre/bottle) and store in a dark cool place with no sunlight. Shelf live is 3 years.

Cheers smile.png

I've set my mind already on distributing it through the irrigation system though, as I have purchased the whole setup already. 150 liter tank connected to the system.

I have about 800 m² of lawn divided into 3 more or less equal zones. Do I understand that I will need 1 liter of EM per zone or can I make more use of it by mixing the molasses with it ?

Can it be used straight after I mixed it with the molasses or does it need some "maturing" time ?

Yes you can use it "straight from the bottle" (the 1st way) if you are in a hurry. You can pour in 2 litre of EM into 200 litre of water and use it straight away. The more you put in the better the ratio and strength.

But for future use, apply the 2nd way...for economical reason. You can use it straight after mixing with molasses but that defeat the purpose of expanding the groups of bacterias. Usually you let it ferment for 4-7 days when applying EMA method so that certain groups of bacteria will multiply. The indicator is when you see white light brownish yeast appear as a top layer and the liquid turns slight reddish brown (but not black colour as in the initial stage).

I would suggest you apply the 1st method at your own convenience... and also proceed to do the 2nd method at the same time. So as to once your first application is completed, you will have enough of the EMA brew in bottles store away for future use.

As I've mention before in past posts, there is no negative impact resulting in wrong mixing ratio, only positive (if use within a short period of time) ...but avoid doing a 3rd brew with additional molasses and water.

Edited by RedBullHorn

You can do it in 3 ways.

Cheers smile.png

Yes you can use it "straight from the bottle" (the 1st way) if you are in a hurry. You can pour in 2 litre of EM into 200 litre of water and use it straight away. The more you put in the better the ratio and strength.

But for future use, apply the 2nd way...for economical reason. You can use it straight after mixing with molasses but that defeat the purpose of expanding the groups of bacterias. Usually you let it ferment for 4-7 days when applying EMA method so that certain groups of bacteria will multiply. The indicator is when you see white light brownish yeast appear as a top layer and the liquid turns slight reddish brown (but not black colour as in the initial stage).

I would suggest you apply the 1st method at your own convenience... and also proceed to do the 2nd method at the same time. So as to once your first application is completed, you will have enough of the EMA brew in bottles store away for future use.

As I've mention before in past posts, there is no negative impact resulting in wrong mixing ratio, only positive (if use within a short period of time) ...but avoid doing a 3rd brew with additional molasses and water.

RedBullHorn, thanks again for the explanation.

With the 2 liter EM in 200 liter water, would that be enough for the whole 800 m² or per zone of approx 300 m² ?

I can wait a little longer, so I will straight mix 2 liter of EM with 2 bottles of molasses in 2 liter of water and let it mature for about 5 days, then I can apply it right after I cut the lawn.

Edited by JesseFrank

I would mix 2 litre of EM,2 litre of molasses and 40 litre of water and tightly seal in a 66 litre bin container for 4-7 days, then transfer the fermented contain and mix into your 150 litre water set up and irrigate through spriklers system...

That is what I'd do...

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some EM to get rid of odors in my dogs toilet area and was pleased with the results so I tried to find out more. If anyone wants to try a google search "How effective are ‘Effective microorganisms" the scientific community say there are no benefits that is after many years of research.

I bought some EM to get rid of odors in my dogs toilet area and was pleased with the results so I tried to find out more. If anyone wants to try a google search "How effective are ‘Effective microorganisms" the scientific community say there are no benefits that is after many years of research.

Got a smelly toilet? Dump half a litre of EM down the bowl. All smells gone in 24 hours.

The Thai government dumped tons of EM into the floodwaters a few years back. No disease outbreaks.

I put it into the drinking water of all our birds. No smells, no die-offs when the rains start....

I remember a few years ago Swiss scientists poo-pooing Bokashi. The morons were testing it on the second most fertile land (Alpine meadows) after Hawaii. Bokashi was designed to improve yields on exausted land.

If you peruse the kitchen garden section, you will find pinned threads on compost teas (using EM) and lots more besides.smile.png

Regards.

Teletiger...Why bother ?

post-42398-0-40951700-1406047708_thumb.g

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a fish farm (not aquaponic), the EM will take care of the fish poo. I have been told that spraying veggies or lawns adds very little of the beneficial microbes, only about 5 % of what is already a good soil. Poor soil will benefit some, but far from what it would get from good compost, mature manure or mulch. That was my 2 pennies worth...

You have to mix the son with molasses so long suggest the white bottle is the mother solution. I think the mother solution is sufficient to mix about 100 gallons. There is an organisation that will give a 3 day course on b it's use. This is free worth the effort.regards joe

I found the recipe somewhere but i agree that they should make an english manual. Everything for the garden is Thai language only, very frustrating and also dangerous.

I mixed the EM with sugarcane molasses in a big bucket of water and let it yeast for several days. The bucket had to be covered but not airtight.

After some days it was ready to spray everywhere, you can even spray yourself with it according to my neighbours.

Spray the tree's, soil, pond or anything that stinks.