Songwriter Gerry Goffin dies at 75

Lite Beer

Gerry Goffin, writer of song Natural Woman, dies

Songwriter Gerry Goffin, who penned chart-topping songs with his then-wife Carole King, has died at the age of 75 in Los Angeles.

He wrote dozens of hits over two decades, including The Loco-Motion, Will You Love Me Tomorrow and (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.

He was inducted, along with King, into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

In a statement, King said Goffin was her "first love" and had a "profound impact" on her life.

"His words expressed what so many people were feeling but didn't know how to say."

Born in the New York city borough of Brooklyn in 1939, Goffin married King when he was 20 and she was 17. They had their first hit, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, sung by the Shirelles, shortly afterwards.

After their divorce in 1968, Goffin continued writing songs, including a hit for Whitney Houston, Saving All My Love for You, in 1985.

He is survived by his wife, Michelle Goffin, who confirmed he died from natural causes. He had five children and six grandchildren.

A statement from the Recording Academy, which presented him and King with a Trustees Award in 2004, called Goffin a "legendary songwriter" and "profound lyricist".

"His prolific career has left an indelible mark on our culture, and his exceptional legacy will continue to teach and inspire many generations to come," said Neil Portnow, the Recording Academy's president.

"Our music community has truly lost one of its finest, and our deepest sympathies go out to his family, his friends, and all who have benefited from and have been moved by his extraordinary and heartfelt talent."

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27934624

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-21

Spanning over 50 years of song writing. from King to Whitney, wow.

One of my favourites is Whitney's " Savin all my love for you" Brilliant all of them. Legend these stars are getting few and far between, we have many now but are they as talented--not so many, and in 50 years will they be around.???

end of an era G. bye.