Will a BA in English and a 120 hour TEFL suffice?

Well, my two year waiver ended and I need to get an Education degree to continue working. I have no problems with that , it's about time Thailand made sure those working in schools have got the qualifications required (guilty as charged, but I'm not too bad even though I say so myself). I once had to do a visa run before I got a job here. I'll never forget the guy in his mid twenties drunk out of his mind at 6am. A few hours into the journey he called what seemed like his boss (all the time swigging from a can of the old style 7% Chang). The converstaion went something like ''Oh come on. Giz me job back. I'm nonnot drunnnk (hic). Oh, go on. I'll stop ma drinking all the time, I promise, mate.'' Not a good look for Thailand and it's that lot that have forced Thailand into action.

I worked in a countryside school where the rules were a little more relaxed (a HND and TESOL was enough for a permit, but not anymore). I've enrolled on a BA in English and have a 120 hour TESOL from the UK. I've also read conflicting info that an Education degree is needed/any degree plus a 120 hour TESOL or an English or Education degree to survive the waiver. And you may need to have or be enrolled on a M.Ed/PGCE.

As my waiver 'ended', will it reset in three years time when my degree ends? I will have a new passport by then and I hear the waiver is connected to your passport number. Or will I need to start a M.Ed/PGCE as soon as my course ends to get a work permit? Assuming I get my degree, I would love to obtain a PGCE or M.Ed, but would need a year or possibly two to save the money. I know the rules change here at the drop of a hat, but I'm only interested in how to stay beyond two permit renewals. Although any more hoop jumping beyond a degree/PGCE and I may just bugger off anyway.

Also, do we expect salaries to rise by 100% after the new requirements? Hmmmm.

You should be good for 2 waivers as long as you can show you are progressing

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks. Had a feeling it would be ok. I Just hope I don't have to obtain a Phd after a PGCE! That may be beyond me (and Thailand). At that point I'll get the hint that they want the honkeys out.

You can get a second waiver with a B.A. in Education without any Tesol or such.

Seems the plan is to finsh the English degree, save for a year and enrol on a PGCE or M.Ed. As long as I obtain the PGCE.M.Ed, I understand I can then apply for a full Teacher's License and never worry again about hoop jumping?

Cheers guys.

You can get a second waiver with a B.A. in Education without any Tesol or such.

I think you'll find that every teacher gets 2 waivers, it's the 3rd one that's the problem. Still waiting to see what the TCT have up their sleeve.

I rather doubt that Thailand will go beyond what California requires to get an ESL teaching job at a two-year college: an MA in English, ESL, Linguistics or a closely related field and an ESL certificate. I think that the certificate requires 15 units (five three-unit classes.)