Chiangmai-mae Sai And Back

Maejo Man

Well I picked up young "Ormgard" at 08.00 hrs and we headed off to Mae Sai. The road up past Mae Cachan has vastly improved, and it won't be too long before it's complete. An undramatic trip up, with no records broken, parked the car, and went through immigration, we were the only ones there!

Tatchilek it's self was like a ghost town, with maybe half a dozen tourists walking around, I've never seen it that quiet, it was eerie.

Did some shopping, and headed back to the thai side only to be confronted by a brand new X-Ray machine at customs. Everything had to be placed on the belt, even all the produce coming in from Myanmar. One little Burmese lass was nearly in tears, as they had asked her to remove her "platform" shoes, and place them in a basket for scanning! It wasn't there a few weeks ago, and they all seemed very keen on scanning every item. I wonder how long the novelty will last?

Lunch at the "Riverside" and home in time for tea :o

Well I picked up young "Ormgard" at 08.00 hrs and we headed off to Mae Sai. The road up past Mae Cachan has vastly improved, and it won't be too long before it's complete. An undramatic trip up, with no records broken, parked the car, and went through immigration, we were the only ones there!

Tatchilek it's self was like a ghost town, with maybe half a dozen tourists walking around, I've never seen it that quiet, it was eerie.

Did some shopping, and headed back to the thai side only to be confronted by a brand new X-Ray machine at customs. Everything had to be placed on the belt, even all the produce coming in from Myanmar. One little Burmese lass was nearly in tears, as they had asked her to remove her "platform" shoes, and place them in a basket for scanning! It wasn't there a few weeks ago, and they all seemed very keen on scanning every item. I wonder how long the novelty will last?

Lunch at the "Riverside" and home in time for tea :D

Very interesting and informative MM, but you skipped right over the most important part.....

You mean you didn't stop at the pie place ?????

Gonzo :o

Very interesting and informative MM, but you skipped right over the most important part.....

You mean you didn't stop at the pie place ?????

Gonzo :D

Gonzo me old mate, do you seriously think that I would pass up a chance to take in the stunning vista of the Nam Mae Sai from the little room over the pie shop? :o

what pie shop???

:D:D:D

I'd like to tell you ..... but...... You can't get there from here :D:D

Probably at least 50 different types of pies..... I think its a National Treasure Site >

:o

Pretty sure he's hinting at Charin Resort in Mae Suay, KP 141...

They ain't got 50 pies... Not a 'National Treasure' sight either...

charin.jpg

^ coffee and a great slice of pie before coming out of the mountains and returning home.

Got a feeling though that 'pie shop' might be a nudge-nudge-wink-wink euphemism for something like the 'housewives' - know what I mean???

^ coffee and a great slice of pie before coming out of the mountains and returning home.

Got a feeling though that 'pie shop' might be a nudge-nudge-wink-wink euphemism for something like the 'housewives' - know what I mean???

You couldn't possibly mean something like a "Euphemism House" or a "House of Ill Euphemisms"

and come on be fair Ajarn, there is more than 1 display cooler, as I seem to remember at least 4 on my last visit,... to the tsk tsk hee hee "Pie Place".

Why I can remember, just laying back there one time, at the bottom of a gentle slope, through which ran a small stream of water, and a beautiful young lady just begging me to try a piece of her pie. I believe she said it was cherry. Why it seems like only yesterday, :o:D

It wasn't there a few weeks ago, and they all seemed very keen on scanning every item. I wonder how long the novelty will last?

I imagine that the process will last until the X-ray machine breaks down the first time and the immigrations folks find that they don't have the budget to fix it. :o

Heading up today and looking forward to a stop at the Charin Resort for some apple pie. Though Gonzo's "cherry pie" sounded interesting. :D

Never have stopped there before, but as far as I can tell MM and Gonzo are jesting about the special :o "pie shop" :D aspect of the place. Or maybe there is some other "pie shop" in Mae Sai that they are referring to?

Heading up today and looking forward to a stop at the Charin Resort for some apple pie. Though Gonzo's "cherry pie" sounded interesting. :D

Never have stopped there before, but as far as I can tell MM and Gonzo are jesting about the special :o "pie shop" :D aspect of the place. Or maybe there is some other "pie shop" in Mae Sai that they are referring to?

"Seek-er and ye shall find-er"

Hor-ate-io

:D

> Got a feeling though that 'pie shop' might be a nudge-nudge-wink-wink

> euphemism for something like the 'housewives' - know what I mean?

Hm.. On this forum, when in doubt, it's always a safe bet that it's actually about food. :o