An amusing Thainess moment, got any?

ppmacready

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered fried chicken with garlic on a beach in Koh Chang.

In both Thai and English.
The lady brought me a green chicken curry.
I explained to her I don't eat curry and ordered chicken with garlic.
''That is fried chicken with garlic'' she sneered.
I showed her the menu which also had photos.
In front of me was a bowl of green curry.
I asked the lady to point to the photos on the menu of what I had in front of me and she pointed to a plate of fried chicken with garlic.
I couldn't stop my self laughing!
After that she would not serve me.
But didn't charge me for the food.

Stopped at a roadside stall with wifey for some fried banana.

How much? she asked

7 pieces for 20 bht

Ok says wifey

Vendor says 40 bht please

You said 20 bht says wifey

Minimum order is 14 pieces says vendor

No thanks says wifey

• Like 1

3 of us mates staying on Samui in a really nice resort drinking a few beers in 1 of the rooms got the beer munchies and ordered spring rolls off the room service menu.

'How many spring rolls on a plate please'? I ask...4 sir.

'Ok, can I get 12 spring rolls please"...yes sir.

30 minutes goes by, we start thinking they must be making the pastry also, then a knock at the door.

At the door is 2 waiters and 2 tables with 12 plates of spring rolls... a total of 48 spring rolls!w00t.gif

I didn't complain to the staff, English isn't their first language, Thais not mine.facepalm.gif

Did they misunderstand or just take advantage of the chance to sell/charge more ? Thats the question

Surely a misunderstanding.

Who seriously orders that many spring rolls. Then again why wouldn't they question that amount?

I ate them cold for 2 days btw out of the mini bar fridge. No way I was gonna bin them.

• Like 1

I think an ability to view utterly vain stupidity with a reluctance to offer decent and responsible service as " amusing" is a prerequisite for residing happily in Thailand.

I find it annoying.

I agree, having a very good sense of humour is a must to enjoy life in Thailand.

You just can't sweat the small stuff.

A few weeks ago I went to my local restaurant and ordered breakfast No1, eggs any style they can manage and a cup of tea.

Ive been ordering the same breakfast for 8 years there.

The bosses wife took the order and gave me mixed vegetables with chicken.

It made a pleasant change!

• Like 2

Year's ago [1989],I ordered a cheeseburger,it was presented with cheese and an egg,but no meat ,i sent it back,only for them to bring a cheese burger with no egg and no meat,i asked again ,they brought it back again with the egg,i finally realised,back then a cheeseburger was a glorified cheese roll,with egg,i left unsatisfied,and with the staff bewildered,what did the falang want,it was a dark and rainy night,and on finally getting back to our accomodation,i was looking forward to the twix bar, i had saved only to find it had be consumed by jungle rodents,dissapointed i consoled myself by giving my English girlfriend a good xxxxxx,before falling into an uneasy and food haunted sleep,as the rain cascaded down outside.

Edited by Rooo
profanity
  • Like 1

Orderd chops, sauteed potatoes, fried veg served with gravy one time and it did arrive but no chops. Apparently the chops were as pointed out to me by the waiter with a chopping motion of his hands indeed refered to the chopped onion gravy.

Edited by enyaw

I bought a new laptop last week. Browsed around in Vichusin for about an hour. I was the only customer in there, about 7 staff on the floor all engrossed in their web-surfing. I finally made my selection, and appealed for some help. A few language difficulties, but all sorted. Yep, I'll buy this one. Go and do the rigamarole at the cashier, with the sales guy still with me, when I remembered I want a mouse because wifey dislikes the pad. Chose a mouse, and completed the purchase (credit card, no refunds), whereupon they presented me with the free mouse that comes with the laptop. It was not an afterthought because the sales guy had placed the package of the free mouse beside the laptop and the mouse I had chosen to buy.

Well, he got an extra 290 baht sale, and I got a spare mouse.

I agree, having a very good sense of humour is a must to enjoy life in Thailand.

You just can't sweat the small stuff.

A few weeks ago I went to my local restaurant and ordered breakfast No1, eggs any style they can manage and a cup of tea.

Ive been ordering the same breakfast for 8 years there.

The bosses wife took the order and gave me mixed vegetables with chicken.

It made a pleasant change!

The eggs were 'hatched' what's the problem? smile.png

Did you get the tea?

I have hundreds of these kind of experiences .......

When I first arrived here (eons ago) I was having lunch in a department store in the Banglampoo area when these three uni girls came over and asked me, in reasonable English, if I would agree to be interviewed by them. I hastily nodded as it's not everyday that 3 stunning girls want to sit and chat with me. So the interview over,one of them produces a small bouquet of flowers and graciously hands it to me which I accepted and they went on their way. After a while I decide to leave the place and was walking down from the 5th floor to the Ground when I realised I had this bunch of flowers in my hand. So being a bit of a joker, I decided to approach the first good looking girl I saw and present them to her in dramatic fashion.

I saw a likely candidate behind a cosmetic counter and walked right up to her, saying that she was by far the most beautiful thing I has seen all year when I noticed someone coming on one side. I heard a burst of giggles and turned to see the three ladies who had given them to me! I wanted to just slide in between the floor tiles and disappear forever!!!!!

I ordered Garlic chicken in English from my local restaurant when I first moved into this area. When the meal arrived it was pork. I told the lady who then told the chef. He yelled at her saying they have to cook the pork today so just tell the farang it's chicken lol. She told me with a nice smile that it was chicken haha I replied to her in Thai say that this chicken really tastes like pork but I will eat it anyway tell the chef thank you. She went bright red and told the chef I understood what he said lol. It's now a running joke when ever I return.

I ordered Garlic chicken in English from my local restaurant when I first moved into this area. When the meal arrived it was pork. I told the lady who then told the chef. He yelled at her saying they have to cook the pork today so just tell the farang it's chicken lol. She told me with a nice smile that it was chicken haha I replied to her in Thai say that this chicken really tastes like pork but I will eat it anyway tell the chef thank you. She went bright red and told the chef I understood what he said lol. It's now a running joke when ever I return.

You didn't wonder why he has to cook the pork today?

Maybe because it was already 4 days in the fridge and starting to get alive again?

I would never return to a restaurant like that.

I had a fellow building a new little shed in which to relocate my pool pump.

It needed a sold brick wall on which to hang the electrics. He spent nearly a full day slowly building this wall to a height of about 5' including rendering. When finished, he stood up to admire his work, put a hand on the wall to support himself and knocked the whole thing over! He hadn't buttressed it or used any steel to bind the thing together and the wet cement didn't hold it.

About a week or so after he finished the job, I had a proper workman come in to demolish the structure the first guy cobbled together, and replace it with something usable. During demolition the expensive electrics just pulled straight out of the wall, they hadn't been fixed securely. When the cheap wooden frame was removed the wall fell over again. The rubble was used to fill potholes in the road outside and the rest of the cheap, nasty materials in the structure were dumped.

Lesson learnt, no point trying to get refunds from people like this.

• Like 1

Today I went to the post office to pick up a package. I did that, came out, and found my car was blocked in.

No problem. I tried to push the blocking car so I could get out, but the parking brake was on. It wouldn't budge.

I waited about ten minutes and no one came out. I went back inside, explained the situation to a clerk, and was told to go upstairs. Before I could do that, a young Thai couple came out and went toward the blocking car. Great, I thought, they will move it.

But they didn't. They also tried to push it as they, too, were blocked in. Then the Thai woman went back in, upstairs, and finally the culprit, another Thai woman, ran out, got in the blocking car, started it up and eventually drove away, leaving me and the couple unblocked.

Actually it wasn't amusing. It was a pain in the butt. Why do they do this kind of stuff? Why not leave the brake off so the car can be moved?

Edited by mesquite

what fun! start a thread about amusing thai moments knowing full well the thai bashers will come crawling out from every rock with all their "stupid thai" anecdotes!

I'd politely suggest you change your grey coloured glasses to rose.

what fun! start a thread about amusing thai moments knowing full well the thai bashers will come crawling out from every rock with all their "stupid thai" anecdotes!

So far though, it's just been non Thai-bashers with affectionately retold amusing tales.

• Like 1