Ubon Ratchathani Hotels short stay

mcfish

Hi all

I live in Bangkok and have not been to Ubon Ratchathani as of yet and will head down next week either by sleeper train or by air not sure yet

Im looking for a hotel commendation for a few nights close to any action. I cant walk long distances due to nerve pain in my feet so I would like to walk out the hotel into an area with restaurants and bars, to give an idea I would stay at the Nana hotel when I used to visit Bangkok. A night out would be dinner and then some beers at the farang pubs and Maybe, just maybe see a go go as well

​around 1000bht, any recommendations?

I see, the hotel looks okay actually. So what do local farang do to entertain themselves?

Well, I think many stay home alot. The Wrong Way Bar is an expat hangout but there are no hotels nearby. Also, the Outside Inn Guesthouse has great food, be sure to check it out. It is also a good place to stay. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. They always use their meters.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I see, the hotel looks okay actually. So what do local farang do to entertain themselves?

Well, I think many stay home alot. The Wrong Way Bar is an expat hangout but there are no hotels nearby. Also, the Outside Inn Guesthouse has great food, be sure to check it out. It is also a good place to stay. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. They always use their meters.

Thanks Paul you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly the type of info I was after.

cheers

Unfortunately England are now out of the World Cup, but neve rmind, there are far more pressing issues at stake such as ISIS imminent assault on Baghdad.

Louie is fine and well at the NJoy pub, Lance is rockin', Gerbil Jason is still pounding the streets, Admiral Ken is still organising the Fleet, and Andrew, the former owner of Peppers and closet Dtai Oratai stalker, continues to atagonise from afar!!!

Happy Sunday to all!!

• Like 1

Well, I think many stay home alot. The Wrong Way Bar is an expat hangout but there are no hotels nearby.

Not true. They have a hotel 20 metres behind them with clean room for approx 500 baht. Can book with Wrong Way. Pha Daeng Mansion which has great 550 baht rooms are a 75 metre walk away and T3 which to me is the best valued hotel in all of Ubon is one block around the corner.

• Like 1

Well, if the OP is wanting something comparable to the Nana Hotel, staying in a 500 baht place behind the Wrong Way isn't going to cut it. I think the best option for him is still the Laithong/Ant Bar combo.

I was correcting the incorrect information that there are no hotels close to the wrong way. IMO the Laithong hotel rooms at twice the price are actually worse then the rooms at T3. I do agree though that the Laithong hotel does have TC Kitchen, Ant Bar and some half decent coffee shops very close by

Laithong will be more expensive than 1,000 baht. T3 House is the best medium price hotel in the centre of Ubon. About 750 baht.

I stay in Ubon once a month and choose a different hotel often to check out the quality value. My recommendations are:

Backpacker (250 to 400 baht) - Pandinthong Apartment (behind Wrong Way cafe), but I have not checked this category out widely yet

Budget (450 to 550) - Phadeang Mansion (Chatsuree Mansion a close second)

Budget plus (600 to 800) - T3 House or Outside Inn (equally good but different)

Mid Range (850 to 1,000) - None found yet in this range that I recommend

Sub luxury (1,050 to 1300) - Rapeepan Ville (Laithong or Tohsang are ok seconds)

Luxury (1350 to 1750) - Sunnee Grand (Laithong executive rooms only if Sunnee is full)

My hotel inspectors report is attachedsmile.png

Ubon hotels file for posting to websites.pdf

• Like 1

Hooo haaa.. starting to look forward to the trip now I know where to go. Im open to cheaper hotels if they are located in a good position

Santisuk your post should be pinned , the guide and reviews are gold. :-)

Edited by mcfish

Thanks. Good to know my sideline project (product of coming up town for hashing) is worthwhile to a visitor.

Not sure about the pinning or who moderates the Isaan forum. Pinning seems a bit haphazard to me and of course anything that conflicts with the interests of sponsors is a non-starter.

There - I just got myself banned. Never mindsmile.png

• Like 1

There's also the Tokyo hotel, which isn't really far away from Wrong Way, appr. 600 baht with WIFI.

Then you could take a cab to the Turkish Bath house, without these Turks.Were somehow replaced by female Thai bath helpers.

Or some other establishments, where Mr.Santisuk might know more about at Chajanghoon rd......

There's one of the best Italian restaurants, I've visited in Thailand,, a good International food restaurant with a bakery called Peppers, with delicious food and quite a few others.

If you like good Thai food, please try the Somtahm II, right after the police box opposite the Tokyo hotel.

I'm pretty sure that you'll get some help to get on the right way at the Wrong Way. thumbsup.gif

Edited by sirchai

There's also the Tokyo hotel, which isn't really far away from Wrong Way, appr. 600 baht with WIFI.

Then you could take a cab to the Turkish Bath house, without these Turks.Were somehow replaced by female Thai bath helpers.

Or some other establishments, where Mr.Santisuk might know more about at Chajanghoon rd......

There's one of the best Italian restaurants, I've visited in Thailand,, a good International food restaurant with a bakery called Peppers, with delicious food and quite a few others.

If you like good Thai food, please try the Somtahm II, right after the police box opposite the Tokyo hotel.

I'm pretty sure that you'll get some help to get on the right way at the Wrong Way. thumbsup.gif

Thanks buddy, The Thai restaurant sounds good to me and of course a Turkish bath without the Turks is a big bonus

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

SantiSuk: in the backpackers category you maybe like to add: when we (staying in the remote area of Ubon R.) visit Ubon we use to stay at SengTong. It's on the road to Trakan, near the ringroad. (15;17;20.79 N - 104;53;12.41 O) . What you may expect: clean rooms, airco, TV, beds are o.k., WIFI, (heated)shower, nice friendly personell and a basic breakfast (coffee and rice soup) for 300 Bath.

What you might miss: someone who can speak English (but, then again, living in Isaan gets you used to that), shower separated from toilet and, true, there are not many nice bars and restaurants nearby.

Tawan Deng etc. are at 10-15 minutes driving.

Anyway, living in rural isaan the luxury level of this hotel is quite acceptable.

Yes - I must add some backpackers to my hotel inspection regime. The only one in the sub 400 category I have tried hitherto - but before I was taking a rather clinical approach to reviewing!- remains Pandinthong (as noted above - behind Wrong Way so close to some ents. Good value if you want big, basic and clean. Some rooms used to smell a bit but I think their latest round of renovations have resolved that. My latest review version includes Doubletree Zara, Excella and Outside Inn; I'll post the PDF file when I get back from a shopping/eating trip to Ubon (Sunday roast at N-Joy Bar).

It's a shame we can't do an unexpurgated guide to Ubon's nightlife (for obvious reasons). Difficult to unravel unless you are local.

The Toshang is nice though a bit higher than 1k baht. The N joy is nearby.

Tohsang City have been working though their room conversions. Was easy to get 1k rooms a year ago and beyond Marty. Maybe they can charge more now. There is also a dearth of higher quality rooms developing in Ubon (and the opposite at the mansion 450 to 750 baht level). Sunnee is becoming more difficult to get sub-1600 baht unless booking well in advance. Laithong seems to have resurrected itself in recent years and is now probably Ubon's highest occupancy hostelry. I was impressed with their higher end rooms (1,800 baht) and the breakfast when tried out in June. The growth of ents around that area must have helped them enormously.

Such an excellent and broad range of choices in Ubon, particularly in the 500 to 900 baht range. I suspect the building boom of the last 3 years needs to cool down now to allow businesses to edge the prices up, otherwise uneconomic returns for investors must be looming.