Visit Visa to Australia (subclass 600)

Have read through some great info on this forum, so know most of the in's and outs, but I need to write down my Wife's application to clarify to myself and so you good guys and girls can read through to see if i have missed anything, as its not straightforward!

Background:

I'm from the UK. Met Thai wife 7 years ago, married 4 years, have 4 year old daughter, live and work legally in Thailand for last 7 years. I have a brother (#1) that lives in Australia for last 6? years, he with his girlfriend have Australian citizenship. My parents, oldest brother (#2) and nephew (UK nationals) are going to visit Australia in November to see brother #1! We also want to go at the same time!

Me and Daughter have British passports so i'm assuming straight forward free eVisitor visa's for us.

My wife will need subclass 600 Visit visa, so have printed application and filled out most of it. But a few things could prove confusing to Department of Immigration.

1: Wife is self employed, works by herself, has a Sandwich shop on an Island and has no register of ownership, pays no tax, no papers at all!- I can give photo's of the shop etc. but have no official documents.

2: We don't have much in the way of savings will have maybe 40-50k in a Thai account before application, depending if there is a high season! We will stay with my brother for whole time while there, so will get brother #1 to give me photo's of house and letter of invitation, do i need also house deed's/rental agreement? I can also get my parents to show bank statements to aid financially and give covering letter as to their plans. My Parent's are going to pay for our flights and this will be included in cover letter.

3: Reason to return:

Ownership of new motorbike bought 6 months ago (does that need to be translated?).

Deposit (96000 thb) payed on new shop unit (2nd sandwich shop) that might be open before we visit Oz.

2 daughters (16 + 24 years old) from previous relationship.

Me, I have a job as a diveinstructor, shop closes in November as low season (do i need a letter from my employer for this?)

So with the application my wife will submit the following:

-Form 1419 Application for a Visitor Visa

-Payment
-A photocopy of passport biodata page and any pages with stamps (have UK visa from 4 years ago)
-One recent passport photograph
-Copy of ID Card
-Copy of 2 older daughters ID card
-Copy of Tabien Baan (house book)
-Copy of birth certificate (translated?)
-Bank book (original)
-Copy of motorbike receipt
-Copy of marriage certificate
-Copy of birth certificate of daughter that will be traveling with us.
-Photo's of Sandwich shop.
-Letter of Invitation from Brother in-law #1
-Photo's of house where we will be staying
-Letter from Parents in-law stating that they can support financially and will pay for return flights.
-Copy of bank statements from parents in-law
-Letter from husband (me) detailing holiday plans
-Letter from husbands (me) dive shop detailing salary, holiday leave and time of employment
-Copy of Work permit for husband (me)
Which documents need to be certified? and or translated? i'm hoping none or very little for a visit visa...
Anything missed? Just 1st full day of looking through everything and have big headache!
Thanks for the assistance!

That checklist that the above poster mentions is a good start.

The lack of funds you collectively have in Thailand may raise an eyebrow,

but should be covered if your brother provides the sponsorship.

The motorcycle is an asset of little consequence, I'd mention it in passing, but not more then that.

If you use the VFS service, they usually certify (but not translate) any attached documents.

Do you plan to post the application or lodge in person in Bangkok?

With the photos of the existing Sandwich shop, show engagement.

Show an outside image and images of your wife behind the counter etc.

Work big time on the reason to return to Thailand.

You are married so make a brief and clearly understandable that it is low season for you,

thus have time off. Define that time and make sure that aligns to stated period you want

to visit Australia.

As for your wife, explain how the sandwich business will be run in her absence.

The deposit on the second shop is advantageous as it shows a reason to return.

Definitely show the receipt and hopefully that money came from a Bank Passbook

and you can cross-reference the withdrawal.

If there is a lease agreement in place, them maybe invest a few Baht and have the important

pages of that document translated to show a financial reason to return to Thailand.

Photo of that shop.

Maybe (briefly) discuss the cash flow of the business and demonstrate the logic why that time

of the year is opportune to leave the business for a short time.

That's my quick take on it.

• Like 1

Thanks David,

Good advice thanks, I did look at that link already.

Isn't the fact that applicants husband and daughter don't have any right to stay in Australia and are settled in Thailand enough of a reason to return! Absolutely genuine as well, we love Thailand.

Having spoke to the wife it might be difficult to get ID copies of two older daughters, as not in touch. The 16 year old lives with her father and the oldest lives in Bangkok. We don't have much contact with either. Are photos of sister's and nephew's, niece's good to show strong family ties? Photo's on there own probably don't show much...

Was going to post the application.

Edited by gwyd1982

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Having a reason to return is probably the biggest (and often most overlooked) aspect of the application.

1. "Business"; if you want to include this as evidence of your reason to return you will need to register this business. Without official documents it's worthless.

2. Work Permit: Despite the closure during low season, does your WP go beyond November or does it cease? If it ends, you might need to provide proof that you continue to legally work and reside in Thailand.

3. "Isn't the fact that applicants husband and daughter don't have any right to stay in Australia and are settled in Thailand enough of a reason to return! Absolutely genuine as well, we love Thailand." - Not really, to be blunt, you need evidence to back that up.

4. Living arrangements; does your wife own the house or is it a rental agreement or owned by her parents? If she owns it, provide the evidence of that, include in your application - helps to assist in the reason to return.

5. Income; don't force this into the account to inflate it. DIAC aren't stupid.

6. Marriage Certificate; ensure it's the one from the Amphur (if you were married in Thailand) and certified by the MFA.

Follow that checklist that khun simple1 posted, tick those boxes (legally and not just in your head) and you should be fine.

Thanks, good advice here

1. will look into registration

2.yes wp. is up to may 2015 so yes i will be working after November

3. noted

4. just renting

5. noted, i wont.

6. yes had it certified for uk visa a few years back

thanks