Tourism significantly recovers after curfew lifted

webfact

Tourism significantly recovers after curfew lifted

BANGKOK, 23 June 2014 (NNT) – The Department of Tourism is urgently promoting Thai tourism after the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) lifted the curfew order. The department has expected that tourist arrivals would increase by more than 26 million people and projected 1.9 trillion baht in tourism revenue this year.

The department on Sunday said it would launch tourism campaigns in which the government and private sectors worked together in making foreign tourists understand the situation in Thailand and restoring the country’s image after the curfew order was revoked nationwide on 13 June. There had been positive signs from foreign countries such as China whose citizens had started to visit Thailand more, said the department.

The department expected that more than 26 million foreign tourists would visit Thailand this year and help generate over 1.23 trillion baht for the country. When combined with the revenue from the “Thai Thiew Thai” (Thais Travel Thailand) campaign, the country’s tourism revenue would total 1.9 trillion baht at the end of 2014, the department said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-23 footer_n.gif

Restoring the countries image?

There has been so much negative press over the last 8 months it turned tourists off in droves and the suddenly it's all good again after a couple of days of lifting the curfew by the why can be reimplemented at anytime.

How about finally cracking down on all the well known scams that we all know about and running them right out of business once and for all!

People should be returning back to their home countries with nothing but good memories and stories for their family and friends not the one story that has spoiled their trip by being ripped off!

A pipe dream I know but one can only hope!

Agree 100%. The Junta has already shown their good intentions. Give them a little while and we should see more improvements. They have been amazing so far.

Given that in the last 10 years the western media (with a few notable exceptions) has not been interested enough to be able communicate clearly what is at play in Thailand - (always the poor unwashed versus the elite and middle classes) and that The Thai establishment from any side has rarely tried to correct what has been reported -

I applaud how they are now going to educate holiday makers in the finer points of Thai politics.

I especially look forward to how it will be explained that a foreigner must understand but not hold an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by getthaid

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Totally misleading headline! There's absolutely nothing in the story to substantiate that tourism has significantly recovered, only words such as expected and projected. Show us the numbers.

Except past history, which shows that tourism ALWAYS comes back, after periods of instability. It comes back and then increases. But don't facts get in the way of your whinging....have at it!

After reading the other thread with tourism reeling one can see the damage that the UDD led attacks have done to negatively impact on tourist confidence. It is good to see things are improving however and though still reeling numbers are on an upward trend which is typical after periods of instability. If one suggested they went down after 6 months of terrorist attacks ceasing then I would question the source.

The new richer Chinese middle class were an obvious litmus test to the lifting of the curfew due to their proximity to Thailand and their impulse shopping holidays. Last year alone Chinese tourism increased 107% so when one scoffed at suggested the people are waiting at the airports for the curfew to be lifted he was not far off the money. The Chinese were waiting and as has been proven they are back in droves. One can be assured, given time, the remaining countries that plan further ahead in their holiday planning will follow suit. Why not? All the signs are positive. It is pertinent to add these are signs the DRT cannot control.

Unless of course the baht stabilizing, investment increasing and the stock market rallying is all in our imagination just like the inflation was in our imagination brought on by the hot weather. Heay yingluck?

Rest assured we will not hear silly excuses that hold the people in contempt anymore and for that alone I thank the DRT.

Edited by djjamie

After reading the other thread with tourism reeling one can see the damage that the UDD led attacks have done to negatively impact on tourist confidence. It is good to see things are improving however and though still reeling numbers are on an upward trend which is typical after periods of instability. If one suggested they went down after 6 months of terrorist attacks ceasing then I would question the source.

The new richer Chinese middle class were an obvious litmus test to the lifting of the curfew due to their proximity to Thailand and their impulse shopping holidays. Last year alone Chinese tourism increased 107% so when one scoffed at suggested the people are waiting at the airports for the curfew to be lifted he was not far off the money. The Chinese were waiting and as has been proven they are back in droves. One can be assured, given time, the remaining countries that plan further ahead in their holiday planning will follow suit. Why not? All the signs are positive. It is pertinent to add these are signs the DRT cannot control.

Unless of course the baht stabilizing, investment increasing and the stock market rallying is all in our imagination just like the inflation was in our imagination brought on by the hot weather. Heay yingluck?

Rest assured we will not hear silly excuses that hold the people in contempt anymore and for that alone I thank the DRT.

No. The Chinese do not make instant plans for overseas vacations, they plan months ahead. Singaporeans, Malaysians, Hong Kongers are more likely to make spur of the moment decisions to travel.

There has been so much negative press over the last 8 months it turned tourists off in droves and the suddenly it's all good again after a couple of days of lifting the curfew by the why can be reimplemented at anytime.

How about finally cracking down on all the well known scams that we all know about and running them right out of business once and for all!

People should be returning back to their home countries with nothing but good memories and stories for their family and friends not the one story that has spoiled their trip by being ripped off!

Agree 100%. The Junta has already shown their good intentions. Give them a little while and we should see more improvements. They have been amazing so far.

And do you really think any tourist will read this in a foreign newspaper? all they will know is that the army have taken over the country and is now ruled by a military junta ,end of.

• Like 1

The curfew was lifted less than a week go. How can tourism 'significantly recovered' in less than 7 days?

The same as the usual this year the arrivals will increase xx %.

Or it is the illegal Cambodians labor on tourist visas? Recently a lot "tourists" left and maybe a lot "tourists" arrive from Cambodia?

And do you really think any tourist will read this in a foreign newspaper? all they will know is that the army have taken over the country and is now ruled by a military junta ,end of.

Spot On. I'm sure we all have family and friends overseas who tell us Thailand doesn't feature in domestic news broadcasts as the coup was bloodless and elsewhere in the world people are doing their best to wipe each other out which has big news value.

May i also suggest that Thailand is only seen as a holiday destination and hardly a player on the world stage.

None of my family and friends in the UK know what the situation here is unless i tell them, and furthermore...nobody cares. Anytime they want to come over they ask me if it's safe and will come if i say it is, providing they can get travel insurance, which would not be easy in the current circumstances, so they would go elsewhere. Surely sensible people everywhere will do the same. Sex tourists will come anyway as insurance doesn't matter when they stand a good chance of contracting HIV while they are here !

An article without numbers to prove the point, lets wait for real figures to come out before we celebrate a recovery. What I see around me is less foreign tourists and less domestic tour busses. But that is only in my small world, so lets get the figures on the table.

No. The Chinese do not make instant plans for overseas vacations, they plan months ahead. Singaporeans, Malaysians, Hong Kongers are more likely to make spur of the moment decisions to travel.

4.7 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand in 2013. The closest rival in your list is Malaysia which was 37% behind China. Then there is Singapore and Hong Kong which don't really rate a mention compared to the Chinese traveller numbers to Thailand.

If only 10% of Chinese traveller was "impulse traveller" it still dwarves the Hong Kong "impulse traveller" if 100% of Hong Kong nationals were "impulse travelers". If only 20% of all Chinese was "impulse traveller" then it would dwarf the Singaporean "impulse traveller" if 100% of them were "impulse travelers". The Malaysian are the closest yet are still 37% behind the Chinese.

So, sure you are true up to a point, but that point stops though when addressing the amount of travelers that travel to Thailand from the respective countries.

The curfew was lifted less than a week go. How can tourism 'significantly recovered' in less than 7 days?

the six limp-wristed tourists who could not find a drink during the curfew finally were able to go out and have a drink

We really can't expect anything other than this oh so positive nonsense.

As a poster said in a thread recently " were tourists waiting at international airports for the curfew to be lifted ? "

It's bad enough they come out with this rubbish but then insult everyone's intelligence by expecting it to be believed.

Naa, I love good news, pass the Kool Aide please :)

Oh, I bet by this time next week hotels will be at 100% occupancy and it will be difficult even finding a room :)

• Like 1

Tourist arrivals rise after curfew lift

6-23-2014-12-25-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Tourism now forecasts tourist arrivals will rise over 26 million people and tourism revenue to jump to 1.9 trillion baht revenue this year after the military junta has lifted nationwide curfew on June 13.

It said after the curfew lift, there was positive sign of increasing tourist arrivals, particularly from China.

They started to return after the curfew was lifted on June 13,it said.

It is now promoting tourism campaign jointly with the private sector in clarifying foreign tourists about the situation in Thailand and restoring the country’s image.

The department now forecasts more than 26 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand this year and help generate over 1.23 trillion baht for the country.

When combined with the revenue from the “Thai Thiew Thai” (Thais Travel Thailand) campaign, the country’s tourism revenue is expected to 1.9 trillion baht at the end of 2014.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourist-arrivals-rise-curfew-lift/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-23

Not only that, but thee Chinese are quite scared of things like a coup, military intervention, etc. And they have a lot of choices where they want to travel. So, the authorities need to do more to encourage travelers. Perhaps go as far as hire a PR agency, for an international campaign? Can you imagine such a thing?

It was only last week there was a report in the press saying how they don't want 'low grade' tourists coming to the country.

They were even pointing the finger to the Chinese tourist who doesn't spend much money here.

26 million tourists in 2014 my ar-se...

The western tourists is what this very same department wants, and that is unlikely to increase with stories breaking about slavery etc.... Don't Thailand know that certain things like that in the western press is enough to make a westerner baulk at the idea of going there on holiday and feeding the slave trade?

The curfew being lifted won't have filtered down to the prospective tourist in the west... Most will probably think it is still in force seeing as the imposition of it came in the same headlining news as the coup and martial law, but the curfew would not have made any news in the west at all.

The state of martial law is what is going to be more off-putting to a western tourist, it conjures up images of soldiers roaming the streets with 'shoot to kill' orders.

I am assuming this report is instigated by TAT in some way and we all know the amount of BS they spawn on a regular basis.

Again today we went into Tesco N Pattaya to shop ,again almost empty ,usually it is packed with Russians buying clothes by the trolly load ,nary a one , so dont know where all these extra tourists are ,must be in hiding. and friends in England still wondering if i am safe