Pick up-trucks - realistic fuel consumption?

Back on fuel consumption. I have the 3Ltr V-Cross AT 4*4.

Now when it was newer I could get an indicated 18+kpl driving to Kanchanaburi at just under 80kph provided little traffic. It's now done 40K+ Kms and surprisingly it is not so frugal. Also I have blanked the EGR and it definitely now uses more fuel when driving around town and in heavy BK traffic. It certainly won't now do an indicated 18kpl even on a long run and at that speed.

Once you get towards 100kph the fuel consumption increases quite a lot. When manufactures talk about overdrive they could mean when the overall ratio is less than one, as is in my 5th gear.

www.fuelly.com is worth a read, I'm on there now and showing an average around 12kpl. I will invest in a basic Racechip shortly.

Thanks Spoonman, do you have a link for them? I don't believe they are on my list of 3 approved dealers from K&N. FAST CORNER 396/14-15 NARATIVAJ RACHANAHARIN ROAD, CHONGNONSE, YANNAWA, BANGKOK 10120 Thailand mailto:[email protected]

NP MOTO COMPANY, LTDBuy OnlineInstaller 333/1 LARDPRAO SOI PIBOON-UPATHUM, HUAYKWANG, BANGKOK 10310 Thailand mailto:[email protected]

WORLDTECH ENGINEERING CO., LTD. 3/64 MOO 2,CHALOEMPHRAKIAG RATCHAKAN, THI 9 ROAD. PRAWET, BANGKOK 10250 Thailand mailto:[email protected]

• 1 year later...

The pickup truck based Song Taews with ISUZUs out number all other makes by 4 to 1. I wonder why?

That one is simple. Because the coachbuilders making the box on the back offer better pricing on versions that fit Isuzu trays (economics of scale), and don't make versions for many pickups.

The same goes for the guys making cages and 2-ton wheel & suspension upgrades for pineapple farmers.

In these cases, you choose the pickup based on the parts available, not choose the pickup then try to find the parts to modify it.

Edited by IMHO

• 2 years later...

Well i got a good laugh reading some of the posts in this thread.

Sy whatever you like Isuzu beats the pants off the rest for fuel economy.

The on-board gizmo in our d-max reckons wife is getting 16.1 kms per ltr, which i think is very good.

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i got a good laugh reading some of the posts in this thread.

Sy whatever you like Isuzu beats the pants off the rest for fuel economy.

The on-board gizmo in our d-max reckons wife is getting 16.1 kms per ltr, which i think is very good.

Driving where though?

21 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Driving from home to school, and a few times to Khonkaen.

No long distance, just normal driving in the locality.

Not normally stuck in traffic then? This is what kills fuel consumption.

Why do they put that silly 6km/100 on Showroom Vehicles it means F/A to me.Also Newton Meters instead of BHP. What a bloody apple landing on a kids head has to do with an engine seems rather silly.BHP  and 18 MPG at 60 MPH is all i know or need.

13 minutes ago, transam said:

It's now the other way round for me...:stoner:

And Me.!!

On 3/28/2018 at 6:11 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

Why do they put that silly 6km/100 on Showroom Vehicles it means F/A to me.Also Newton Meters instead of BHP. What a bloody apple landing on a kids head has to do with an engine seems rather silly.BHP  and 18 MPG at 60 MPH is all i know or need.

And don't get me (or transam) started on those bloody silly Kilopascals!!!

• Haha 1

Just took the sports lorry (3.2 Ranger) on a thrash from Isaan to the seaside and back and the calculated fuel consumption was 8.5 l/100km which is a fairly decent 33.2 mpg (UK) or 27.7 mpg (US).

Took the 'mountain' route and the 624 km took 8.5 hours so average speed was 75 kph including 1 piss stop.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

My Ford Ranger (2011) averages 12km/l around town and 15km/l on the highway. I generally stick to 100kph on the highway, just over 2000rpm.

Works out at about 2B/km. I fill a tank for 1500B, and it gets me from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

For you old guys, 12km/l = 34mpg (UK) and 15km/l = 42mpg (UK).

If you can't even get a gallon right, I have no idea. And l/100km - couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, naboo said:

My Ford Ranger (2011) averages 12km/l around town and 15km/l on the highway. I generally stick to 100kph on the highway, just over 2000rpm.

Works out at about 2B/km. I fill a tank for 1500B, and it gets me from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

For you old guys, 12km/l = 34mpg (UK) and 15km/l = 42mpg (UK).

If you can't even get a gallon right, I have no idea. And l/100km - couldn't care less.

Using your methodology, I'm getting 11.8 km/l = 33.3 mpg (UK) over the 642 km with the cruise control set at 100... but the real average speed around 75 kph. I didn't have cruise control on the 2.2 Ranger and I would get the occasional speeding ticket despite "generally sticking" to 100 kph. The cops on the Mitrapharp generally position themselves just after the crest of a hill to catch the 'speed creep' effect. Since I got the new one with cruise control, no speeding tickets... but I am older!

Is that the 2.2 Ranger?

• Like 1