Pick up-trucks - realistic fuel consumption?

Out of the current range of pick-up trucks available here in Thailand, what is the true average diesel consumption that you achieve? As we all know, manufacturers figures do rather tend to be on the optimistic side.

I do realize that consumption can vary drastically with different driving styles and conditions but it would be interesting to see how many Kms other TV members get to the Litre.

I drive a 2013 Mazda BT 50 Pro (4X4), that has covered over 50,000 Kms of mixed driving over the last year or so and manage, on average between 10 - 11 Kms per Litre. Having said that, I do not often exceed 140 KPH, but I do use the available acceleration, as and when necessary.

The new Ford Ranger 2.2, particularly in automatic configuration interests me, as does the newly announced Nissan Navara (not yet released, I know), but what about current Navaras?

My current 174 hp 2.5 litre likes to drink in the city - sitting in traffic jams.... maybe lucky to get 8 to 9 kms per litre. I think part of this is I get frustrated and drop my foot a lot when I get the opportunity.

On the highway though in overdrive I get about 16km per litre.

My current 174 hp 2.5 litre likes to drink in the city - sitting in traffic jams.... maybe lucky to get 8 to 9 kms per litre. I think part of this is I get frustrated and drop my foot a lot when I get the opportunity.

bkkjames,

Going from your Avatar, am I correct in thinking that you drive a Nissan Navara? Manual or Automatic?

I am a little confused when you mention Overdrive, in my ignorance, I did not realize that any of the manufacturers here offered Overdrive.

bkkjames,

Going from your Avatar, am I correct in thinking that you drive a Nissan Navara? Manual or Automatic?

I am a little confused when you mention Overdrive, in my ignorance, I did not realize that any of the manufacturers here offered Overdrive.

5 speed automatic, 5th is overdrive.

The new one is 7speed auto.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Never worry about fuel consumption as diesel is cheap here at 30 THB a litre. My D4D 3L auto averages out at 13kpL. That's the normal truck, not a Pre runner or 4x4.

Started using the PT diesel now, seems good stuff.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My 7 year old Ranger 3.0 4x4 (manual box) manages around 12km/l on my daily runs into BKK, much better on a long cruise.

I think the best I measured was about 14.5km/l on a trek to Chiang Rai.

2012 Mazda BT-50 Pro 4x4 (3.2 litre, 6 speed auto) - I get 50 mpg (miles per gallon) which is about 4.7 l/km (US) - around town.

You sure there isn't a typo there? 50mpg is about 80km per gallon. (multiply miles by approx 1.6 to get kilometers)

1 US gallon is 3.78 litres so 21.16km per litre

1 UK Gallon is 4.54 litres so 17.62km per litre

Neither seems likely.

• Like 1

I've got a 4 yr old Navara LE 2.5 Auto (5 speed). It has 60,000km on the clock and a couple of months ago I recorded 12.5 km/litre over a 1,500km trip. I was reasonably happy as this was what the dealer told me I should get when I bought it 6 months ago!

2012 Mazda BT-50 Pro 4x4 (3.2 litre, 6 speed auto) - I get 50 mpg (miles per gallon) which is about 4.7 l/km (US) - around town.

You sure there isn't a typo there? 50mpg is about 80km per gallon. (multiply miles by approx 1.6 to get kilometers)

1 US gallon is 3.78 litres so 21.16km per litre

1 UK Gallon is 4.54 litres so 17.62km per litre

Neither seems likely.

I agree that that sounds remarkable if correct. I have a 2012 BT%) 2.2 manual. For the first 6 months I averaged 37 mpg (imperial) but a bit less now - 7.5-8.5 l/100km which averages out around 35 mpg.

I was just chatting about this today

I got a D4D Toyata turbo and i used to get 9-10 Km/L

I had a Commander chip installed and the Turbo boost upped and it averages 13-14 Km/L

That includes the extra 33% BHP, 66% Torque and extra 25 Kmph top end speed...

It's 205 BHP now!

And that extra torque is great for towing the boat over Phuket mountains [emoji106]

Well worth the 27,000 back in 2007

It must've paid for itself in fuel savings twice over now...

I don't know what the latest version is? But I'll be getting it fitted to the new model when I get one

Edited by Porkster
  • Like 1

My experience after having owned pickup trucks from Nissan, Isuzu and Mazda: Isuzu is best in fuel consumption, Navarra worst. Difference between the 2 is about 3 km/liter, Mazda is in between.

• Like 1

Is that the Mitsubishi 2.5 diesel?

No turbo right?

Just scrolled up and realised it's the Nissan, so I'm not interested

Edited by Porkster

I had a Commander chip installed and the Turbo boost upped and it averages 13-14 Km/L

It's 205 BHP now!

And that extra torque is great for towing the boat over Phuket mountains [emoji106]

I don't know what the latest version is? But I'll be getting it fitted to the new model when I get one

Additional

I've always used Shell Nitro Diesel

Well I think I've got the oldest truck of you lot... 2002 Ranger 4x4, 2.5 turbo, manaul, with over 280,000 km on the clock.

I usually get anywhere bewteen 300-330 km to 1,000 bt top-ups.... sorry no idea what that is in "real money" (i.e. I can't be bothered to work it out).

Most of my driving is open road (quick/fast acceleration) or rough country lanes (slow/acceleration) stuff, with little city or motorway, but even when I do these I seem to get little variance.

So 3-3.5 bt/km is the way I look at it, no matter how hard I push.

Edited by steve73
  • Like 2

No turbo right?

I dont recall replying to you unless you are the OP so what are you on about?

No turbo right?

You obviously can't work that one out, it doesn't matter now because I thought you had the better Triton... But you have a... Nissan... [emoji33]

No turbo right?

You obviously can't work that one out, it doesn't matter now because I thought you had the better Triton... But you have a... Nissan... [emoji33]

I worked out you can't read that's about it. BTW don't recall the Triton winning any truck of the year awards in Thailand in the last decade....

• Like 1

Never worry about fuel consumption as diesel is cheap here at 30 THB a litre. My D4D 3L auto averages out at 13kpL. That's the normal truck, not a Pre runner or 4x4.

That is a pathetic attitude. Diesel prices are subsidised by higher taxes on gasoline fuels. The junta are studying the need to reduce the subsidies on Diesel and LPG and, although it may hold below 30 p.l. for a while it will rise. 'I'm all right Jack' shows your environmental colours!

2013 Ford ranger 2.2 auto. 12l per 100 km City (stuck in Pattaya traffic). Highway 8l per 100 km.

Since mostly used for school runs and short trips in the weekends, we seldom gets more than 700 km on a 78 lit tank.

About the same as my ex Honda City 2006 but thankfully the diesel is app 20-25% cheaper and the City could only take about 42 lit.

That is a pathetic attitude. Diesel prices are subsidised by higher taxes on gasoline fuels. The junta are studying the need to reduce the subsidies on Diesel and LPG and, although it may hold below 30 p.l. for a while it will rise. 'I'm all right Jack' shows your environmental colours!

Jack may be alright,but Somchai the fisherman wont be happy,and wont go out.Therefore price of seafood rises.Tricky thing,the economy.

es

Listen you tree hugger, I am only a guest here and my attitude has b*gger all to do with fuel prices. Take it up with the junta.

No turbo right?

I worked out you can't read that's about it. BTW don't recall the Triton winning any truck of the year awards in Thailand in the last decade....

Obviously voted by Thais and Thais like cheap... You get what you pay for... Cheap [emoji90] [emoji107]

The Triton is just as crap but a much better looking body "IMO"

Both are pants compared to the ford

Edited by Porkster

It's 205 BHP now!

It's real mystery as to why car companies spend billions in R&D just to slightly improve their motor each generation. They should just hire the genius who invented this magical chip.

+33% bhp, +66% torque and at the same time +40% mileage!

For just 27000 thb investment. That's the deal of the century.

This raises another question, why do not any car manufacturer propose this magical chip as an option or even as a standard. It would wreck all competitors.

• Like 2

No way are you getting 50MPG, I owned the same truck and got around 20-21MPG.

Also your conversion from English to metric is off, at the rate you say you get it would be 21KPL which again is

not possible unless you have some type of conversion kit. Should be around 8KPL