Pick up-trucks - realistic fuel consumption?

My current 174 hp 2.5 litre likes to drink in the city - sitting in traffic jams.... maybe lucky to get 8 to 9 kms per litre. I think part of this is I get frustrated and drop my foot a lot when I get the opportunity.

On the highway though in overdrive I get about 16km per litre.

Is that the Mitsubishi 2.5 diesel?

No turbo right?

Just scrolled up and realised it's the Nissan, so I'm not interested

I dont recall replying to you unless you are the OP so what are you on about?

You obviously can't work that one out, it doesn't matter now because I thought you had the better Triton... But you have a... Nissan... [emoji33]

I worked out you can't read that's about it. BTW don't recall the Triton winning any truck of the year awards in Thailand in the last decade....

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Obviously voted by Thais and Thais like cheap... You get what you pay for... Cheap [emoji90] [emoji107]

The Triton is just as crap but a much better looking body "IMO"

Both are pants compared to the ford

yes the Ford is a nice truck - especially the 3.2 wildtrak. Makes me wonder why you asked me about what kind of fuel economy a Triton has then.

People throwing around the term 'overdrive' would be advised to look up the meaning of the word - just go to Wiki.

These days no manufacturer offers an 'overdrive' gear, whatever the advertising blurb or the armchair experts say. If the transmission is a 5 speed then the 5th speed is 5th gear, not overdrive.

Gearing in vehicles is designed to use most efficiently the torque/power available from the engine over all speed ranges and throttle positions. Overdrive is an outdated notion which has no place in the modern vehicle.

People throwing around the term 'overdrive' would be advised to look up the meaning of the word - just go to Wiki.

These days no manufacturer offers an 'overdrive' gear, whatever the advertising blurb or the armchair experts say. If the transmission is a 5 speed then the 5th speed is 5th gear, not overdrive.

Gearing in vehicles is designed to use most efficiently the torque/power available from the engine over all speed ranges and throttle positions. Overdrive is an outdated notion which has no place in the modern vehicle.

I am not throwing it around, there is even a little button on my shifter when pressed says Overdrive Off. Better take it up with Nissan :)

I am not throwing it around, there is even a little button on my shifter when pressed says Overdrive Off. Better take it up with Nissan smile.png

...as the man says..."Overdrive is an outdated notion which has no place in the modern vehicle.".....better update to a new Navara... biggrin.pngwink.png

I am not throwing it around, there is even a little button on my shifter when pressed says Overdrive Off. Better take it up with Nissan smile.png

...as the man says..."Overdrive is an outdated notion which has no place in the modern vehicle.".....better update to a new Navara... biggrin.pngwink.png

yea I better just refer to it as 5th gear, a big gear, that has a little button to switch off that coincidentally has a green notification on my dashboard that says OD Off.

Suppose when I win the lottery and get my 7 gear new one, it will become a mute point, unless of course it still has the OD off button and light. smile.png

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

regarding the post about a chip for the computer. Chips went out long ago in the states, now use plug in programmers and for those really interested in performance laptop programs. I know it's not a truck, but I had plug in hand held programer for my '02 Camaro SS 6 spd manual, really dropped the 1/4 mile times and got 26 mpg at 80 mph. I would love to have similar for my 2.8 Chevy Z71 with 6 spd auto here.

2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 2WD 6AT and the onboard computer shows 9.7L/100km - that was on a recent fastish run through the mountains using the gearbox in sport mode some of the time, mixed with the missus going around locally init when it rains.

Cheers

Pikey.

What the chip or piggy back or tune nay-Sayers often forget is that manufactures set vehicles up for what they consider the best all round vehicle which includes performance, fuel economy and engine longevity.

Taking the example of pickups, they're designed to haul heavy loads for hundreds of thousands of kilometers often over rugged terrain. They are also used as school buses and family town cars. So increasing the fuel pressure and tweaking the timing as these chips etc often do, can in fact improve overall economy and available power depending upon the circumstances and how its driven. If you chip tune or whatever you want to call it and floor it everywhere, well of course the economy is going to suffer. However, if your tune happens to increase torque at lower rpms enabling you to remain in a higher gear at lower rpms you will more than likely save fuel. Most is dependent on the driver. These chips etc allow the vehicle to be somewhat tailored to the driver.

Another example would be a 2.5 Vigo v's an otherwise identical 3.0 Vigo cruising at 120kph? I don't know for sure, but I expect the larger displacement engine would be turning slower with a higher gear ratio thus using probably less fuel than the 2.5 in this scenario.

Swings and roundabouts :)

My current 174 hp 2.5 litre likes to drink in the city - sitting in traffic jams.... maybe lucky to get 8 to 9 kms per litre. I think part of this is I get frustrated and drop my foot a lot when I get the opportunity.

bkkjames,

Going from your Avatar, am I correct in thinking that you drive a Nissan Navara? Manual or Automatic?

I am a little confused when you mention Overdrive, in my ignorance, I did not realize that any of the manufacturers here offered Overdrive.

I drive a 2011 Nissan Navara Calibre LE with the 5 speed auto box. On the gear lever you have a second button which is the overdrive switch which can be ' on or off ' in any of the 5 gears. ( Haven't tried it in reverse yet......but in the good old days when I used to drive a Mercedes truck you could engage overdrive in reverse gear ).

• Like 1

Is that the Mitsubishi 2.5 diesel?

No turbo right?

Just scrolled up and realised it's the Nissan, so I'm not interested

I dont recall replying to you unless you are the OP so what are you on about?

You obviously can't work that one out, it doesn't matter now because I thought you had the better Triton... But you have a... Nissan... [emoji33]

I worked out you can't read that's about it. BTW don't recall the Triton winning any truck of the year awards in Thailand in the last decade....

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Obviously voted by Thais and Thais like cheap... You get what you pay for... Cheap [emoji90] [emoji107]

The Triton is just as crap but a much better looking body "IMO"

Both are pants compared to the ford

yes the Ford is a nice truck - especially the 3.2 wildtrak. Makes me wonder why you asked me about what kind of fuel economy a Triton has then.

I was just a wee pished yesterday

I had a triton laid on by a company in S'pore when I worked in the base for a while... Economy figures for the triton are absolutely sh!te! Used to hammer that fuel card!

But I do think its one of the sexier looking pickups... But as we all know, looks aren't everything... Beauty's only skin deep & It's a nightmare to drive on S'pore roads in the wet!

I was just chatting about this today

I got a D4D Toyata turbo and i used to get 9-10 Km/L

I had a Commander chip installed and the Turbo boost upped and it averages 13-14 Km/L

That includes the extra 33% BHP, 66% Torque and extra 25 Kmph top end speed...

It's 205 BHP now!

And that extra torque is great for towing the boat over Phuket mountains [emoji106]

Well worth the 27,000 back in 2007

It must've paid for itself in fuel savings twice over now...

I don't know what the latest version is? But I'll be getting it fitted to the new model when I get one

It's real mystery as to why car companies spend billions in R&D just to slightly improve their motor each generation. They should just hire the genius who invented this magical chip.

+33% bhp, +66% torque and at the same time +40% mileage!

For just 27000 thb investment. That's the deal of the century.

This raises another question, why do not any car manufacturer propose this magical chip as an option or even as a standard. It would wreck all competitors.

Your spurning retort amuses me... Your lack of knowledge about engines and their performance capabilities doesn't, I can only blame you for the latter through your blatant ignorance or lack if interest in basic engine tuning.

I suppose you deny the boosted performance of a K&N filter too right?

I mean after all, car manufacturer's spend billions on designing the perfect air box & filter don't they... LoL

I'm not going through the trouble of taking the chip out just for you, but here's a few photos of it in place, it's the blue plug n play box FYI.

Excuse the dust as nobody goes behind the glovebox anymore.

As for the specs,

You'll find them online if you search for D Commander D 3000 ECU

It's not known as a chip to be pedantic, it's a commander... Hence the name.

Because the commander is fully programmable via a laptop or the company's own configuration tool it's better than a chip TBH and certainly not outdated.

It was installed by some guy in Phuket that does the Lao, Cambodia off-road challenge and he knows his engines, trophy's galore...

I feel like you've laid out a saucer of milk for two here...

Thank you, it was just what I needed.

Consider yourself OWNED nutty boy xx

Edited by Porkster

Spoonman, I don't know about here but in the states it was very iffy. I used hand held programmer on '02 Camaro SS and was able to get warranty work done, but the service manager was the brother of my long time friend and attorney's wife. Kinda' like Thailand. I'd like to find similar for my 2.8 Z71. Price seems a bit high though. I too went looking but didn't come up with anything. Maybe one of our drag race friends over on the V-8 thread can help.

Searching for D Commander D 3000 ECU brings up no results.

How does this wonder thing go with Factory Warranties.... does it void them ?

Of course it voids the Toyata warranty,,, but after 3 years the Toyata warranty expires so who cares!

I was guaranteed by the guy more power and better fuel economy, if I could prove him wrong he'd have given my money back and let me keep the Commander...

The only reason I went back a couple of months later was to Wai him and say thank you, and to buy a set of wheels n tyres from him also [emoji106]

I'll correct myself on the percentage of power increase figures though, the leaflet that came with it said 33% more BHP when it's been dyno'd at 30% (not mine, but I read it on some South African site years ago, and the Torque was actually 66% increase)

Another detail I thought I didn't need mentioning but as I'm being doubted/being called a <deleted> Liar so much... There's a switch that's also installed down by the mirror adjustment switch (remember I have the 2005 Fortuner), this switch is used to select between city and highway modes, up for city - down for highway to get the most out of the economy... I just leave it on highway mode as that gives the most power, it won't even stay in the up position now anyway...

Don't forget that I use "what I believe is" the best diesel on the market, Shell Nitro Power, although it changed it's name some years ago I've always put the the DB's She'll Diesel in it and the virtually smokeless exhaust shoes the engine appreciates it [emoji106]

What search engine are you using? I tend to use google... stick yahoo where the sun don't shine, it's pants mate.

Here's my top 2 hits from google: google translate is <deleted> too. If you don't do Thai you could ask your good lady to translate...

http://www.weekendhobby.com/offroad/toyota/shtml/20221.shtml

Stone me! It's on TVF as well!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/251934-modified-pickups/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/159374-fortuner-30-d4d-performance-chip/page-2

I believe this fella has the latest version?

http://www.thai2market.com/offroad/question_new.asp?id=63099&group=offroad

Spoonman, I don't know about here but in the states it was very iffy. I used hand held programmer on '02 Camaro SS and was able to get warranty work done, but the service manager was the brother of my long time friend and attorney's wife. Kinda' like Thailand. I'd like to find similar for my 2.8 Z71. Price seems a bit high though. I too went looking but didn't come up with anything. Maybe one of our drag race friends over on the V-8 thread can help.

Toyata still does the regular required service all 15 have been recorded on the SIM card, so it obviously doesn't show up on their computer, if it does, they just don't care.

They've never mentioned it so I doubt they even know it's there.

I always lock the glovebox and only give them the service key so I would know if they've opened the glove box or not, unless they've got a master key of some sort... But again, they would've mentioned it if if they think it's not good for the engine.

Are you taking the Mick about the V8 thread? Can't find bugger all?

Edited by Porkster

Please interpret 'taking the Mick', "Can't find bugger all". Were you looking for a hamburger or something about boomsing the bum, i.e. the hershey highway? You sir have a bad attitude. You have information that is more than likely helpful but delivered in such a way as to render it useless. Nobody here has doubted your statements. Maybe you don't understand English. I suggested there might be people in the V8 thread that have info on where one might acquire a chip or computer update as there are hot rodders posting there.

I had a Commander chip installed and the Turbo boost upped and it averages 13-14 Km/L

It's 205 BHP now!

And that extra torque is great for towing the boat over Phuket mountains [emoji106]

I don't know what the latest version is? But I'll be getting it fitted to the new model when I get one

It's real mystery as to why car companies spend billions in R&D just to slightly improve their motor each generation. They should just hire the genius who invented this magical chip.

This raises another question, why do not any car manufacturer propose this magical chip as an option or even as a standard. It would wreck all competitors.

Your spurning retort amuses me... Your lack of knowledge about engines and their performance capabilities doesn't, I can only blame you for the latter through your blatant ignorance or lack if interest in basic engine tuning.

I mean after all, car manufacturer's spend billions on designing the perfect air box & filter don't they... LoL

I'm not going through the trouble of taking the chip out just for you, but here's a few photos of it in place, it's the blue plug n play box FYI.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1403598661.052469.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1403598779.091080.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1403598806.755831.jpg

As for the specs,

Because the commander is fully programmable via a laptop or the company's own configuration tool it's better than a chip TBH and certainly not outdated.

It was installed by some guy in Phuket that does the Lao, Cambodia off-road challenge and he knows his engines, trophy's galore...

You are so cute. Actually my post was humoristic because I believed you made a typo. While still highly doubtful, it would have been possible to see such drastic improvement on the motor's performance along with a 40% increase in fuel consumption.

But it seems you are really believing in in your fantasy. Showing your pictures proves nothing else than you were scammed and still believe in that scam. There's a thing call thermodynamics. You can't bypass it whatever the specs of your magical gizmo are telling you wink.png

Edited by pistachios

Please interpret 'taking the Mick', "Can't find bugger all". Were you looking for a hamburger or something about boomsing the bum, i.e. the hershey highway? You sir have a bad attitude. You have information that is more than likely helpful but delivered in such a way as to render it useless. Nobody here has doubted your statements. Maybe you don't understand English. I suggested there might be people in the V8 thread that have info on where one might acquire a chip or computer update as there are hot rodders posting there.

Taking the Mick is a London expression "The Micky Bliss" rhymes with p!ss... In other words, are you joking? About the V8 thread because I can't "bugger all" meaning I can't find a V8 thread?

It appears you're not joking, so could you post a link please.

How can you say on one hand that my information may be of use but on the other hand it's been rendered useless because of the way I wrote it?

Information is still information regardless of the way it's been written, I see it as more of a way it's been read and not digested completely...

Here you go: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733825-theres-something-about-that-v8-sound-that-goes-hand-in-hand-with-a-classic-ride/?view=getnewpost . Thanks for the translation. I say that because your caustic attitude tends to make people disregard what you say. I for one certainly do not dis-value the chip (outdated) or hand held programmer. They are in general great additions to a vehicles all around performance. Like I said, I used one in my '02 SS Camaro, well worth the money for power and mpg. I would like to do similar for my 2.8 Z71. I'm an old hot rodder. I was a bit surprised at the price here. I think I paid around 6500 baht for mine in the states. I had a friend that had a big Ford diesel that paid a bit more if memory serves me, it often doesn't. By the time '02 rolled around chips were outdated and couldn't even be used except in older vehicles. Maybe here the computer is still that far behind? It was programing, whether hand held or laptop, laptop the best but required somebody that really knew what they were doing and most time a dyno. That ran into some expense.

It's 205 BHP now!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1403598661.052469.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1403598779.091080.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1403598806.755831.jpg

As for the specs,

You are so cute. Actually my post was humoristic because I believed you made a typo. While still highly doubtful, it would have been possible to see such drastic improvement on the motor's performance along with a 40% increase in fuel consumption.

But it seems you are really believing in in your fantasy. Showing your pictures proves nothing else than you were scammed and still believe in that scam. There's a thing call thermodynamics. You can't bypass it whatever the specs of your magical gizmo are telling you wink.png

Actually, your post was sarcastic, but you don't like the boot being on the other foot do you?

Anyway. it's got bugger all to do with thermodynamics.

The only time "thermodynamics" come into play is on a cold day when more air can get into the engine because it's thicker, especially at sea level.

You DO know that all D4D engines have an intercooler don't you? That little radiator on top of the engine that cools the air before it goes into the air chamber, it's why boy racers have an extra big radiator fitted on the front of their modified cars.

Thermodynamics... Basics [emoji99][emoji99][emoji99]

Engine tuning 101:

Do you know anything about Dyno jetting?

Same principle as what the Commander does continually throughout the RPM range.

It's got everything to do with the fuel/air mixture and the precise amount of a perfect mixture being forced into the cylinders at a certain given RPM.

With the increased boost pressure of the turbo it's getting more fuel/air forced in than the factory setting.

You didn't read & digest even after I painstakingly explained about the hi-lo power switch for the economy side of it.

Don't tell me... You're jumping to conclusions here aren't you?... You think too much but don't read & digest enough and I bet I know what conclusion you've mistakenly come to...

Read again what I wrote about the switch near the mirror switches and you'll understand it has a hi & lo power mode,

In Layman's terms:

Low power mode gives you better fuel economy, I.e. More kilometres per litre.

High power mode gives you more BHP & Torque hence more acceleration & top end speed.

I didn't think I'd need to explain that being it's a motoring forum..?

Do I really have to explain the noticeable feel of power gain of one's own car? Or comparing tank after tank of fuel to Km driven when resetting the trip counter upon fill ups on long journeys vs town driving? Bugger! I just did.

In 7 years of having this Commander installed I think I've done more than enough research to prove to myself that it really was money well worth spent.

I don't care to convince anymore as I know what I'm talking about and you seen to have just one mindset of shooting me down in flames because you can't comprehend what I wrote, well I hope you're more understanding about the D Commander now as I can't really explain any further.

You stick to what you think you know about my car and I'll stick to what I absolutely positively do know about my car, alright? Are you ok with that?

Where's this V8 forum???

Here you go: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733825-theres-something-about-that-v8-sound-that-goes-hand-in-hand-with-a-classic-ride/?view=getnewpost . Thanks for the translation. I say that because your caustic attitude tends to make people disregard what you say. I for one certainly do not dis-value the chip (outdated) or hand held programmer. They are in general great additions to a vehicles all around performance. Like I said, I used one in my '02 SS Camaro, well worth the money for power and mpg. I would like to do similar for my 2.8 Z71. I'm an old hot rodder. I was a bit surprised at the price here. I think I paid around 6500 baht for mine in the states. I had a friend that had a big Ford diesel that paid a bit more if memory serves me, it often doesn't. By the time '02 rolled around chips were outdated and couldn't even be used except in older vehicles. Maybe here the computer is still that far behind? It was programing, whether hand held or laptop, laptop the best but required somebody that really knew what they were doing and most time a dyno. That ran into some expense.

Firstly, let me apologise for coming across to you as a tad bitter,caustic.

I felt I was getting shot down in flames when what I was writing is fact as I've spent years doing personal tests & research on it.

But as I stated in great detail in my last reply to pistachio (in what you would no doubt brand a caustic attitude, but do you blame me?).

I am in no way trying to say that I get all that power gain and the better fuel economy at the same time in Hi power mode, that'd be awesome aye?

He's not getting an apology because he was blatantly trying to rip my facts apart, I hope he's wound his neck in now that he has more details and facts.

Anyway,

After I went back to see the guy a couple of months after install I had been convinced by the onboard computer and it's various read outs (avg km/l, actual km/l, range on tank).

Then after a few months more I started thinking "hang on a minute, he could've just tweaked the information that the computer displays also, so the economy maybe isn't all that better after all"

I didn't explain it earlier because nobody stopped to ask any detailed questions ,,, I just got shot down in flames.

I'm happy to explain things in detail if that's what people ask for, I just don't want to go on and onnn with boring details if nobody's interested.

I've got an excel file of all my tests on one of the old external HDD's somewhere, it's just finding the damn thing, but when I do I'll PM it to you.

Thank you for the link, going there now :)

Edited by Porkster

Actually, your post was sarcastic, but you don't like the boot being on the other foot do you?

The only time "thermodynamics" come into play is on a cold day when more air can get into the engine because it's thicker, especially at sea level.

You DO know that all D4D engines have an intercooler don't you? That little radiator on top of the engine that cools the air before it goes into the air chamber, it's why boy racers have an extra big radiator fitted on the front of their modified cars.

Engine tuning 101:

It's got everything to do with the fuel/air mixture and the precise amount of a perfect mixture being forced into the cylinders at a certain given RPM.

With the increased boost pressure of the turbo it's getting more fuel/air forced in than the factory setting.

You didn't read & digest even after I painstakingly explained about the hi-lo power switch for the economy side of it.

Don't tell me... You're jumping to conclusions here aren't you?... You think too much but don't read & digest enough and I bet I know what conclusion you've mistakenly come to...

Read again what I wrote about the switch near the mirror switches and you'll understand it has a hi & lo power mode,

In Layman's terms:

High power mode gives you more BHP & Torque hence more acceleration & top end speed.

Do I really have to explain the noticeable feel of power gain of one's own car? Or comparing tank after tank of fuel to Km driven when resetting the trip counter upon fill ups on long journeys vs town driving? Bugger! I just did.

In 7 years of having this Commander installed I think I've done more than enough research to prove to myself that it really was money well worth spent.

I don't care to convince anymore as I know what I'm talking about and you seen to have just one mindset of shooting me down in flames because you can't comprehend what I wrote, well I hope you're more understanding about the D Commander now as I can't really explain any further.

You stick to what you think you know about my car and I'll stick to what I absolutely positively do know about my car, alright? Are you ok with that?

Where's this V8 forum???

It's thermodynamics in the way you cannot improve the output of an engine without increasing at the same time the energy (fuel) it consumes.

You either have an increase of power but lower mileage, or better mileage but lower power. Your initial post was claiming both at the same time which is barely possible, especially with the ridiculous figures you were claiming.

Searching for D Commander D 3000 ECU brings up no results.

How does this wonder thing go with Factory Warranties.... does it void them ?

Of course it voids the Toyata warranty,,, but after 3 years the Toyata warranty expires so who cares!

I was guaranteed by the guy more power and better fuel economy, if I could prove him wrong he'd have given my money back and let me keep the Commander...

The only reason I went back a couple of months later was to Wai him and say thank you, and to buy a set of wheels n tyres from him also [emoji106]

I'll correct myself on the percentage of power increase figures though, the leaflet that came with it said 33% more BHP when it's been dyno'd at 30% (not mine, but I read it on some South African site years ago, and the Torque was actually 66% increase)

Another detail I thought I didn't need mentioning but as I'm being doubted/being called a <deleted> Liar so much... There's a switch that's also installed down by the mirror adjustment switch (remember I have the 2005 Fortuner), this switch is used to select between city and highway modes, up for city - down for highway to get the most out of the economy... I just leave it on highway mode as that gives the most power, it won't even stay in the up position now anyway...

Don't forget that I use "what I believe is" the best diesel on the market, Shell Nitro Power, although it changed it's name some years ago I've always put the the DB's She'll Diesel in it and the virtually smokeless exhaust shoes the engine appreciates it [emoji106]

What search engine are you using? I tend to use google... stick yahoo where the sun don't shine, it's pants mate.

Here's my top 2 hits from google: google translate is <deleted> too. If you don't do Thai you could ask your good lady to translate...

http://www.weekendhobby.com/offroad/toyota/shtml/20221.shtml

Stone me! It's on TVF as well!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/251934-modified-pickups/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/159374-fortuner-30-d4d-performance-chip/page-2

I believe this fella has the latest version?

http://www.thai2market.com/offroad/question_new.asp?id=63099&group=offroad

Ok maybe I should have said I cannot find the manufacturer of this wonderbox when I search google.....

Engine tuning 101:

In Layman's terms:

Where's this V8 forum???

It's thermodynamics in the way you cannot improve the output of an engine without increasing at the same time the energy (fuel) it consumes.

You either have an increase of power but lower mileage, or better mileage but lower power. Your initial post was claiming both at the same time which is barely possible, especially with the ridiculous figures you were claiming.

No I did not claim that at all,

I just didn't want to bore people with the details and just waited for further genuine questions, I wasn't expecting to get shot down in flames.

I wrote "and that includes" not once did I claim BOTH at the same time... I should've written "at the flick of a switch" to save all these false conclusions...

Enough of this matter, I'm happy with the results and performance I get from the "wonder box" and it's staying put.