Why don’t you “fly the flag”?

Costas2008

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

The flag should be raised no earlier than first light and lowered no later than dusk.

When the flag is raised or lowered, or when it is carried in a parade or review, everyone present should be silent and face the flag. People in uniform should salute.

The flag should always be flown freely and as close as possible to the top of the flagpole with the rope tightly secured.

Unless all flags are raised and lowered simultaneously, the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last.

When the Australian National Flag is flown with flags of other nations, all flags should be the same size and flown on flagpoles of the same height.

When flying with only one other national flag, the Australian National Flag should fly on the left of a person facing the flags.

Two flags should not be flown from the same flagpole.

The flag may be flown at night only when it is illuminated.

The flag should never be flown if it is damaged, faded or dilapidated. When the material of a flag deteriorates it should be destroyed privately and in a dignified way. i.e. it may be cut into small unrecognisable pieces then disposed of with the normal rubbish collection.

The flag should not be flown upside down, even as a signal of distress.

The flag should not fall or lie on the ground or be used as a cover (although it can be used to cover a coffin at a funeral).

it is a pleasure to know some people still observe proper flag etiquette. Most people have no idea. I fly the Australian flag here but considerably lower than the national flag as is required also as I have no illumination my flag is lowered every evening and raised every morning. As the symbol of your nation and something that many have fought and died for I believe it is important to treat the flag with reverence, respect and dignity. 

• Like 2

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is a pleasure to know some people still observe proper flag etiquette. Most people have no idea. I fly the Australian flag here but considerably lower than the national flag as is required also as I have no illumination my flag is lowered every evening and raised every morning. As the symbol of your nation and something that many have fought and died for I believe it is important to treat the flag with reverence, respect and dignity. 

True, in that case you shouldn't let a foreign nation's flag fly higher. Good reason not to fly your nation's flag altogether.

Edited by KarenBravo

A little disappointed here.

Lot's of answers about my flag being lower or higher than the Thai flag and if the pole is short enough or long enough.

My original question was, are you proud of your own country as to display your national flag or you have just forgotten everything living the good life in Thailand?

Well if my people would be of superior genetic/race, I would be very proud to be member of the group of Ubermensch.

We tried that already in the 1940s, but as the lower races kicked our azz we figured out that we aren't any better. In fact we are the same quality. There are very minor differences between different populations and none when you just look at some borders.

If we would have won the Second Worldwar, they might have teached me in school to be proud of my national flag and we would both proudly display the German flag (no I am not German).

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

The flag should be raised no earlier than first light and lowered no later than dusk.

When the flag is raised or lowered, or when it is carried in a parade or review, everyone present should be silent and face the flag. People in uniform should salute.

The flag should always be flown freely and as close as possible to the top of the flagpole with the rope tightly secured.

Unless all flags are raised and lowered simultaneously, the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last.

When the Australian National Flag is flown with flags of other nations, all flags should be the same size and flown on flagpoles of the same height.

When flying with only one other national flag, the Australian National Flag should fly on the left of a person facing the flags.

Two flags should not be flown from the same flagpole.

The flag may be flown at night only when it is illuminated.

The flag should never be flown if it is damaged, faded or dilapidated. When the material of a flag deteriorates it should be destroyed privately and in a dignified way. i.e. it may be cut into small unrecognisable pieces then disposed of with the normal rubbish collection.

The flag should not be flown upside down, even as a signal of distress.

The flag should not fall or lie on the ground or be used as a cover (although it can be used to cover a coffin at a funeral).

Exactly. I am a flag man from my days in the Internal armed forces and much of this stuff flag stuff is deep inside me.

I don't play with flags now but I feel very special when I attend services like Anzac Day and so forth, I see the men and women doing it the right way and it just feels right inside.

I don't like morons driving around with flags hanging off their cars and idiots walking around draping the. over their shoulders........I could also very easily go rouge during those times and fill a few coffins. If one understands the meaning behind these things, they'd have a lot more respect. The education system is letting us down. ;)
  • Like 1

If there were, and I emphasise IF there were any type of civil unrest, and ferangs were being targetted in your area, how long would yuu leave that flag up ?

Just a thought.

I would rise the flag: white eagle on white background tongue.png

for what its worth this topic is interesting in that i haven't seen it brought up before...

my flag view; nothing wrong with them, they represent something important to a lot of people. People can respect/love their flag/country of origin and still not be an a**hole about it, its possible. But as long as I am here, I would only show it inside my place of residence.  

Edited by kblaze

They're the same height @ NATO:

b040326a.jpg

And what relevance is this to Thailand? Did they join Nato? 

What relevance does membership of NATO have on examples of international flag etiquette, which, incidentally is observed @ ASEAN too?

Is Nato located in Thailand? Like it or not it is offending to Thais to have your flag as high or higher than the Thai Flag.

Again, I repeat, go look at the what the Thai Flag represents and you will get a clue as to why this is so. 

Care to produce an example from UN, ASEAN or similar external organisation showing the Thai flag legitimately occupying a position higher than anyone elses?

Edited by evadgib

Human beings don't have wars.  Countries with flags have wars.  The US even had a war with Canada.  How can anyone have a war with Canada; they are so nice.  When you have a war now days (except for SF guys) troops wear subdued insignia. 

Many battles were won because snipers would target the generals.  In Vietnam it might have helped but I'm talking a normal war. 

They shoot the guy with the gold braid and the one carrying the flag.  Does anyone realize the playing of the national anthem at a football game is a PR deal? 

The world cup is a good example of the Neanderthals last stand.  It is like a little war glorifying the physical skills of one country over another.  Or Olympic boxing.  Do you really want anything decided by two guys beating each till one can't get up? 

Is that how right and wrong in the world should be decided? 

Edited by thailiketoo

True, in that case you shouldn't let a foreign nation's flag fly higher. Good reason not to fly your nation's flag altogether.

Obviously you missed the whole point of flag etiquette then? There is no problem with flying your own flag in another country but out of respect it is the practice that the flag of the host nation flies highest. Same as the Olympics same as on state buildings, same as on embassys, same as on multinational corporations and exactly the same on ships. The colours of the flag state fly highest on the mast and then below that the flag of the nation where the ship works as a sign of respect, it isn't some competition about the size of your di*k, it is mark and measure of respect towards the country you are in. On a side note I am damn proud to be an Aussie and will fly my national colours anywhere the f@#* I choose thanks mate..

Obviously you missed the whole point of flag etiquette then? There is no problem with flying your own flag in another country but out of respect it is the practice that the flag of the host nation flies highest. Same as the Olympics same as on state buildings, same as on embassys, same as on multinational corporations and exactly the same on ships. The colours of the flag state fly highest on the mast and then below that the flag of the nation where the ship works as a sign of respect, it isn't some competition about the size of your dick, it is mark and measure of respect towards the country you are in. On a side note I am damn proud to be an Aussie and will fly my national colours anywhere the f@#* I choose thanks mate..

Plonker...

• Like 1

Human beings don't have wars.  Countries with flags have wars.  The US even had a war with Canada.  How can anyone have a war with Canada; they are so nice.  When you have a war now days (except for SF guys) troops wear subdued insignia. 

Many battles were won because snipers would target the generals.  In Vietnam it might have helped but I'm talking a normal war. 

They shoot the guy with the gold braid and the one carrying the flag.  Does anyone realize the playing of the national anthem at a football game is a PR deal? 

The world cup is a good example of the Neanderthals last stand.  It is like a little war glorifying the physical skills of one country over another.  Or Olympic boxing.  Do you really want anything decided by two guys beating each till one can't get up? 

Is that how right and wrong in the world should be decided? 

No no they aren't nice, they kill these lovely baby seals......

In the past it was common that different towns made war against each other. Due to TV and cars this local nationalism Ban Kwai is feeling superior to Ban Nok and they beat each other is complete gone.

But when my father was a child in Europe (now 74) he still heard the last "racist" rantings about the neighbor towns.

In Europe with the European Union a lot of the racism and nationalism is gone. French and Germans were never so friendly to each other. Now it is more the White against the Chinese or Arabs. But even this prejudices collapse and I hope when I am old all these nationalist/patriotic/racist nonsense is gone.

Obviously you missed the whole point of flag etiquette then? There is no problem with flying your own flag in another country but out of respect it is the practice that the flag of the host nation flies highest. Same as the Olympics same as on state buildings, same as on embassys, same as on multinational corporations and exactly the same on ships. The colours of the flag state fly highest on the mast and then below that the flag of the nation where the ship works as a sign of respect, it isn't some competition about the size of your dick, it is mark and measure of respect towards the country you are in. On a side note I am damn proud to be an Aussie and will fly my national colours anywhere the f@#* I choose thanks mate..

Order of precedence

The Australian National Flag takes precedence over all national flags when it is flown in Australia or Australian territory.

After the Australian National Flag, the order of precedence of flags is: national flag of other nations, state and territory flags, other Australian flags prescribed by the Flags Act 1953, ensigns and pennants.

The Australian National Flag should not normally be flown in a position inferior to any other flag or ensign and should not be smaller than any other flag or ensign.

Just the same as every other sovereign nation the national flag ALWAYS takes precedence over other flags in it's own territory

I think it is inappropriate.....

I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

I've seen many Greek immigrants flying their flags in the USA, and Germany.

Haven't been to Australia, but I believe they do the same.

Never noticed Greek flags, but have seen many houses with ostentatious Greek style columns and statues.. You can easily spot them..

Plonker...

passifier.gif

If there were, and I emphasise IF there were any type of civil unrest, and ferangs were being targetted in your area, how long would yuu leave that flag up ?

Just a thought.

What they are targeting all farangs of every nationality in this fantasy civil unrest? Like the Thai's in your neighbourhood don't know where the farangs live already? Give me a break, a coward dies a thousand deaths a brave man dies but one.,

Just a thought.

What they are targeting all farangs of every nationality in this fantasy civil unrest? Like the Thai's in your neighbourhood don't know where the farangs live already? Give me a break, a coward dies a thousand deaths a brave man dies but one.,
That would entirely depend on location, if you are in a small village, chances are only the villagers know, the general area wouldnt, unless of course you advertised it with a big flag !

http://www.twainquotes.com/Patriotism.html

Man is the only Patriot. He sets himself apart in his own country, under his own flag, and sneers at the other nations, and keeps multitudinous uniformed assassins on hand at heavy expense to grab slices of other people's countries, and keep them from grabbing slices of his. And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood of his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"- with his mouth.

costas may well disagree with the above, but is Europe so different in 2014 to the Europe of Twain's era ? Nationalism is alive and well and easily manipulated by politicians who know how to fire up a mob - particularly in countries where the austerity measures are biting. I dont have a problem with people who love their country - I just know how quickly that can manifest itself as xenophobia. 

I see nothing good coming of flying the Australian flag in this country in any way, shape or form and I avoid any business which seeks to capitalise on the fact that I'm Australian. If I wanted to wear something that instantly identified me as an Aussie bogan, I need look no further than a Singha or Bintang singlet  

Why does flying the Australian ensign make you a bogan? 

They're the same height @ NATO:

b040326a.jpg

And at the EU Parliament:

Flag-and-Parliament-335x210.jpg

And UN:

united-nations-day.jpg?1

Again it flag etiquette Nato being part of the UN all the flags are flown at the same height in alphabetical order even though the headquarters of the UN is in the USA it is the only time the national flag would be flown on american soil at the same height as other nations, same goes for the EU. Do a bit of research  Exceptions to the Rules:

• In any nation the national flag must be placed in a place of prominence. The flag code only applies to flags flown on American soil.
  • In foreign waters or to salute a foreign country, the U.S. Navy may fly the country's national flag on the masthead of the ship. This is not a violation of the flag code because the code only applies to civilians (not the Navy), and also because the stern and gaff of a ship are more prominent positions to fly a flag.
  • A church pennant may be flown above the American Flag if a church service is done by naval chaplains at sea for personnel of the Navy. After the service is over, the American Flag must again be placed in the prominent position.
  • The United Nations' headquarters may fly the flags of all 188 member nations in alphabetical order. Although it is technically located within the United States (banks of the East River in Manhattan), the headquarters is owned by all the members of the United Nations, so it is not considered to be American soil.

Flags and symbols of nationalism are dangerous sometimes, especially when you are an outsider in a foreign country.

Perhaps if you discussed it with your neighbours first and explained that you weren't annexing a part of their country, on behalf of your country of origin, there won't be any problems but it just seems unnecessary to me.

I wouldn't imagine it'd be a problem on a short term basis during the World Cup or similar events but a permanent reminder of a foreign presence can interpreted in different ways by different people, and not always as a benevolent sysmbol.

Wow talk about storm in a teacup! We aren't talking about fascist nationalism here the OP was  asking about whether you would fly your nations flag or not. I guess most people wouldn't see it as a big deal it's not about saying your better than anyone else it is just having a little pride in your country.

Just a thought.

If you didn't recognize it, the white flag thing was a joke......

Of course I would join the Farang Resistance!

Just a thought.

If you didn't recognize it, the white flag thing was a joke......

Of course I would join the Farang Resistance!

Hey H90 my apologies I got the white flag joke. I was replying to Charlie and quoted the wrong post wai.gif

Just a thought.

Charlie, if farangs were being targeted during a civil unrest, believe me, the flag will have no part in getting me.

Where I live and many others live in rural areas, people make it their business to know, not only where you live, but every minute detail of your life.

This flag, will never come down, as long as I live.

The flag is sacred for me and is connected to my national identity.

My forefathers died for this flag and what it represents, as in other countries all over the world.

I detest, all these "blasé" answers from various posters, as to the flag being just a cloth.

It's not, it is your country, it is your national Identity.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

Charlie, if farangs were being targeted during a civil unrest, believe me, the flag will have no part in getting me.

Where I live and many others live in rural areas, people make it their business to know, not only where you live, but every minute detail of your life.

This flag, will never come down, as long as I live.

The flag is sacred for me and is connected to my national identity.

My forefathers died for this flag and what it represents, as in other countries all over the world.

I detest, all these "blasé" answers from various posters, as to the flag being just a cloth.

It's not, it is your country, it is your national Identity.

Obviously something you are passionate about Costas and I can appreciate that.

I commend you on your patriotism.

Not a view I share but each to his own, and I respect your point of view.

• Like 1

What flag should I fly, even if I was so inclined?

I grew up abroad (Kenya) but kept my German passport as it was continued. I have lived 20 years in Asia and SE Asia so these countries are a lot dearer to me than either Kenya or Germany. But I am certainly not going to fly a Vietnamese or Cambodian flag.

What flag should I fly, even if I was so inclined?

I grew up abroad (Kenya) but kept my German passport as it was continued. I have lived 20 years in Asia and SE Asia so these countries are a lot dearer to me than either Kenya or Germany. But I am certainly not going to fly a Vietnamese or Cambodian flag.

I dunno. Gay pride flag ? :P
  • Like 1