AIS Airnet

wpcoe

Can somebody help me with translation, please? I'm checking out AIS's Airnet packages, but can't read enough Thai to make heads or tails of it. As always, they embed the text as images so it cannot be run through Google Translate. This is from their AIrnet home packages web page:

post-33251-0-72299000-1403538728_thumb.g

What are the pairs of numbers in the second column for each package, e.g. 7/7 and 10/4 for "Home 590"?

What is the difference in a "Home" versus a "Home Plus" package?

Thanks!

The number pair are how the circuit is set up, either allowing 7/7Mbps Download/Upload speeds or 10/4Mbps Download/Upload speeds with better download speeds by sacrificing the upload speeds.

Home Plus allows "Port Forwarding" (think BitTorrent seeding, or home CCTV camera access from Internet)

ThaiVisa Thread

Ais Airnet - Restrictions / Packages / Advice
Started by ThaiLife, 2013-05-04 16:47
Started by muratremix, 2014-02-12 19:12

Thanks for the info!

[edited to add:]

How high does the antenna need to be? I live on the top floor of a five-floor condo building. Assuming there is an Airnet signal in the area, would I have any luck putting an antenna in the dead space ("attic") above my unit beneath the roof? Would roofing tiles block the signal and/or is that too low?

Edited by wpcoe

Airnet is very similar to TOT Winet which we had until a couple of months back (we now have fibre).

It's not something you can install yourself, needs a site survey and a little dish antenna pointing at the tower. Strictly line-of-sight, so that's what determines the height of the antenna, if the man can't see the tower it's not going to work :(

Airnet is very similar to TOT Winet which we had until a couple of months back (we now have fibre).

It's not something you can install yourself, needs a site survey and a little dish antenna pointing at the tower. Strictly line-of-sight, so that's what determines the height of the antenna, if the man can't see the tower it's not going to work sad.png

Hmmm. Wonder if he actually has to physically see it, or if as long as he knows which direction it is, he could still set it up? My five-story building has unobstructed views to the horizon to the north and east, but not to the south and west. Actually, I'm probably just dreaming. The chance that I'd get an installer who can think outside the box and not install the antenna outdoors, is pretty slim. Oh, well. It was a thought.

I'm currently halfway through a six-month rental in Mérida, Mexico enjoying reliable high speed internet, but will be returning to my Jomtien condo in September where the condo management cut all the phone lines coming into the building and won't let any new ones be installed. Luckily there is guy in the building who managed somehow to retain his existing phone line and he runs a WiFi service in the building. Should he leave, though, I'm screwed. I'm totally spoiled by the reliable 10Mbps DOCSIS (~THB1400 with basic CATV) that I have now Mexico. As a bonus: <100ms ping times to U.S. servers.

It's not something you can install yourself, needs a site survey and a little dish antenna pointing at the tower. Strictly line-of-sight, so that's what determines the height of the antenna, if the man can't see the tower it's not going to work sad.png

Hmmm. Wonder if he actually has to physically see it, or if as long as he knows which direction it is, he could still set it up?

[...]

Actually, I'm probably just dreaming. The chance that I'd get an installer who can think outside the box and not install the antenna outdoors, is pretty slim. Oh, well. It was a thought.

[...] [....] will be returning to my Jomtien condo in September where the condo management cut all the phone lines coming into the building and won't let any new ones be installed.

The tower antenna has to 'see' the customer antenna, meaning no obstructions - outside - usually extended up in the air on a pole.

As for the cut phone lines, this sounds very odd.

I can understand the condo management making a 'deal (with kickbacks)' for non-compete service ...but cutting the existing lines? That usually only happens when they get sacked.