Nannies And Nurses

eddiecr

I'm looking for somebody to take care of my wife and new-born baby in Chiangmai while I

have to work in Bangkok. I've had a look around and the choice appears to consist of 14 year old

Lahu girls who find cars and concrete so frightening that they refuse to leave the house and crazed

old women who learned their child-care skills from Atilla the Hun. If anybody here knows of any

reliable and trustworthy providers of childcare/nursing services in Chiangmai would you please

let me know. I've also posted this message in the local/Chiangmai forum.

Thanks,

Eddie

I've just had another thought. Why do you need someone to help? I nver had anyone :o nor did my mum, sister or any other familily member. Is it an accepted thing in Thailand that you have an assistant afer the birth? This is not a criticism just an honest query :D

• 1 month later...

If my 11 week old daughter is anything like other newborns, I think for many new moms, the crying and confinement in the home all alone all day while the husband is at work is enough to drive any good woman CRAZY.

So I think having help is not only a smart thing to do, but protects the child from mistakes (like dropping the child by accident or becomming angry with the little one) a weary new mother may be feeling.

This is also in addition to taking care of the home and cooking for the man when he returns from work.

For some women this may be a piece of cake.

But for many, having someone come in every day (or every other day) for a few hours for assistance or freeing you up to go run an errand may be necessary to keep your sanity and safely care for the little one.

JMHO

Edited by paulfr

I've just had another thought. Why do you need someone to help? I nver had anyone :o nor did my mum, sister or any other familily member.

Indeed. Is the mother disabled in any way or unstable after giving birth? My baby (first to both, now 2.5yrs) grew up in Ekkamai area and we had a nany (a friend from the building) only when the mother was going to evening classes.

First week her sister was there to help while the wound from the cesarean was healing.

Professional nurse from a nearby hospital would cost 12K baht per month. The same hospital has a nursery which the baby is with for almost 2 years now, 6700B for 6 days a week.

Family would be nice to have around if they happened to be there. It was not worth bringing someone in and dragging them from their own children. Or sending wife and the baby to the sticks where everything is poor - hospitals, roads, many insects...

I'm looking for somebody to take care of my wife and new-born baby in Chiangmai while I

have to work in Bangkok. I've had a look around and the choice appears to consist of 14 year old

Lahu girls who find cars and concrete so frightening that they refuse to leave the house and crazed

old women who learned their child-care skills from Atilla the Hun. If anybody here knows of any

reliable and trustworthy providers of childcare/nursing services in Chiangmai would you please

let me know. I've also posted this message in the local/Chiangmai forum.

Thanks,

Eddie

I think if you are gone for extended periods it is not a bad idea to have another woman in the house to help your wife out. Does your wife have a late teen niece or daughter of old family friend that woudl like to live in the "big city" for awhile? From what I have seen that is the common route. You could trade that for room and board with some part-time schooling.

TH

Actually this should be an easy problem to solve if you are willing to pay someone say 7000THB per month. You could find countless girls with boring jobs paying less that would prefer a family type life for a while. They could then return to their existing job when you no longer need her or find another such position as a nanny.

If you do not want to pay, then family or extended family/friend contacts would be the way to go.

• 2 months later...