Where to find backgammon...

beau thai

We wanted to try some board (bored) games and caused merriment in Robinson's trying to explain what backgammon is, finally resorting to images on the phone which just earned blank looks- and giggles.

So we bought Thai Monopoly, but I still want to find a backgammon board and, yep I know we can play on the PC but it's not the same.

Any thoughts please? Or maybe it's illegal here? Surely not.

I have asked several Thais about backgammon and so far no one has heard of it, I would suggest buying a board online. Or possibly find someone who can make one for you, could be cheaper and get something unique.

Almost certainly illegal and could mean a long period of not having to worry about visa extensions.

But surely only if gambling Harry??

It would I am sure be counted as gambling equipment. I do not think they actually have to catch someone in the act though any signs of chips or cash would certainly be considered for more money. Personally it is something I would rather not take the risk. It may be legal but if by some chance someone thinks it is not and has a word to the local constabulary they may not know either and they would not give you the benefit of the doubt.

Tesco for the lot. Backgammon in cold meat section and Chips in the freezer. If you want to sex it up a bit, try Eggs from the dairy section and a Pineapple Ring from the Fruit and Veg ! Boom Boom !

Get yourself out for some fresh air instead of thinking about board games - this is Thailand not Tilsbury !

Tesco for the lot. Backgammon in cold meat section and Chips in the freezer. If you want to sex it up a bit, try Eggs from the dairy section and a Pineapple Ring from the Fruit and Veg ! Boom Boom !

Get yourself out for some fresh air instead of thinking about board games - this is Thailand not Tilsbury !

Thanks for the humour (!) -from which I might have thought I was in Tilsbury

I am in the fresh air right now and get plenty thanks, running,playing tennis and golf- but maybe when you want to watch a movie in the evening I might want to play backgammon. In the fresh air, on the terrace with a drink Geddit??

Thanks for the humour (!) -from which I might have thought I was in Tilsbury

I am in the fresh air right now and get plenty thanks, running,playing tennis and golf- but maybe when you want to watch a movie in the evening I might want to play backgammon. In the fresh air, on the terrace with a drink Geddit??

I get most of it - just not the Backgammon. I don't do movies BTW, not unless stuck on a plane and nothing else to do - but the drinks on the terrace are a part of everyday life for me. Enjoy it anyway and good luck with finding the backgammon, but I suspect the hunt will be more interesting than the find !

Almost certainly illegal and could mean a long period of not having to worry about visa extensions.

It would I am sure be counted as gambling equipment. I do not think they actually have to catch someone in the act though any signs of chips or cash would certainly be considered for more money. Personally it is something I would rather not take the risk. It may be legal but if by some chance someone thinks it is not and has a word to the local constabulary they may not know either and they would not give you the benefit of the doubt.

Omg...i have one a friend brought over from greece, am i going to get busted in a crack down?

Omg...i have one a friend brought over from greece, am i going to get busted in a crack down?

Maybe not likely but I would not sit round on the verandah in sight of everyone with chips on the table. Consequences of just being caught with one would not be much. Like driving without a helmet maybe but no trip to hospital.smile.png

Edited by harrry

You can buy a cheap backgammon set in Thailand, but for a good quality one we have bought them abroad. There is a backgammon club in CM which plays regularly. Gambling is illegal of course, but playing backgammon is not. If you are interested in the CM backgammon group, please PM me.

• Like 2

They sell them in the duty free shops after the friendship bridge to Vientiene.

I'll give you a game anytime.

It's the Greek and Turkish national sport.

Can't understand why it's not included in the Olympic gameswhistling.gif

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 1

You can buy several versions at Toys R Us at Promenada Mall - the only store worth entering that ghost town for. I bought my son a nice "briefcase" type set from their. It's a decent size and has a nice soft lining, making it quiet to shake the dice in. Enjoy!

• Like 1

In either country I do not think I ever saw it played without stakes.smile.png

Many thanks to you all for your kind help. Looks like another btrip to promenada is in the offing.

And I think I would be too much of a rabbit to play you Costas - having watched Lebanese colleagues in Saudi play, what I thought was a quiet slow game.The speed and noise was amazing with a wooden board with wooden sides and wooden discs-all very macho and great fun to watch even. I suspect the greek and turkish versions are similar.

• Like 1

In either country I do not think I ever saw it played without stakes.smile.png

harry, I have to admit, the stakes are very high.

We usually play a set of 5 games at a time and the one that looses has to pay for the coffee or the Baklava for both.biggrin.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy several versions at Toys R Us at Promenada Mall - the only store worth entering that ghost town for. I bought my son a nice "briefcase" type set from their. It's a decent size and has a nice soft lining, making it quiet to shake the dice in. Enjoy!

Very many thanks Jim. Over at Prom tonight with friends for dinner at Ragu and dropped into Toy R Us and picked up the same very adult looking set you described.

Off topic, but when we came out of Ragu at about 915 we thought the curfew was back. All shops closed, exits chained up-except at basement car park level. No 4 July action there.

Thanks again.