Thai assistant teacher in English classes?

BAYBOY

Curious. Is it normal practice to have a Thai assistant teacher ( who speaks reasonable English), in English classes for pratom 1 to 6?

At my school we have an English teacher from the Philippines who looks after pratom 1 to 3,sadly her pronunciation of English is poor, and she has great difficulty in conveying English to the children. She has been at the school for 3 years and had assistance from a Thai English speaking teacher. This year she is on her own and knows that she is not coping because the children have difficulty in understanding her. She wants to be a good teacher and fits in well with the teachers and children.

I have the same problem... No assistant in Pratom 4 to 6 but also find it hard to teach as the children's English vocabulary is so limited and a 2 sentence long speech is all most can cope with.

The Thai assistants I used to have were great and between us we could explain things so the children could understand Englishn better, than they do today.

The reason why the assistant teachers have been taken away is the " shortage" of teachers in the school.

The Principal who has a P hd in English , but can't string 2 sentences together is currently in the USA for a month, looking at schools and their programs, but here she wants to cut back services in the English Dept.

Any comments?

BAYBOY?

TIT All the principle's in most Thai Government schools are interested in as far as I can see is lining their pockets... Sad for the kids & for the Teachers who want to do their jobs properly, although they're in the minority as far as I can tell...

I'm currently working in a school where I'm teaching k2 & k3. This school has given me a Thai assistant teacher to have in my classes. It's good for controlling the kids behavior but it isn't helping with them actually learning anything.

The last school I worked at I was teaching k-P6 and the kids seemed to know a lot more and could understand more of what I was saying.

Today as my assistant was helping me teach lyrics to a familiar kids song-- all the children now think "Lay them straight" is "Ray dem sturlate"

ZzzZZzzz I am annoyed by her. I need her to control the kids but to stop trying to speak English and stop trying to tell them how to pronounce anything because her English is horrible. I'm really not sure how she got the job.

I think Ray Dem Sturlate sounds really cool! It's that funny business where R's and L's get displaced in translation.

My wife says she wants me to correct her English when she talks to me, and sometimes I do, but I just enjoy hearing English "rendered" in her wonderful way. I understand it perfectly, and most English speakers that she meets are able to understand her. After a fashion.

I taught Prathom 5 and 6 at the same school for two years, I never had a classroom assistant, but some of the time a Thai teacher would come in and sit at the back of the classroom, but it was to make sure the students behaved themselves. The times a Thai teacher was there, she never ever took part in any lessons. I was always left to do things my way without any interference.

• Like 1

Bayboy said:

"At my school we have an English teacher from the Philippines who looks after pratom 1 to 3,sadly her pronunciation of English is poor, and she has great difficulty in conveying English to the children. She has been at the school for 3 years and had assistance from a Thai English speaking teacher. This year she is on her own and knows that she is not coping because the children have difficulty in understanding her."

You're saying the Filipina teacher's poor English pronunciation is the reason students can't understand her? Yet you say later that "I have the same problem... No assistant in Pratom 4 to 6 but also find it hard to teach as the children's English vocabulary is so limited and a 2 sentence long speech is all most can cope with."

With your better English pronunciation -- can your students understand you any better and are you able to hold a dialogue with them any better than the Filipina teacher

The fact is that accented Native English or accented international English or accented Asean English will encounter the same difficulty anywhere where the vocab is too limited, where the students are not motivated to learn English speaking and reading, etc.

Edited by aledarrkie
  • Like 2

Just another example that Thai degrees arent worth a ****

That is a useless remark.

Until recently, most Thai university students didn't have regular access to native English speakers.

Most Thai assistants have English degrees, it is hardly their fault they were not able to have access to English speakers.

I've seen schools with and without assistants. The students at schools without assistants were quite often weaker than the ones with.

I think for most foreign teachers, since so many know little or no Thai and know little if anything about Thai students, do better with an assistant.

For those of us who have spent many years here, can speak at least enough Thai to control students, it probably is not necessary. I know for sure mine has about the easiest/most boring job in the world. Usually she just has to hang out at the back of the class and occasionally remind a student to be quiet.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Until recently, most Thai university students didn't have regular access to native English speakers.

Most Thai assistants have English degrees, it is hardly their fault they were not able to have access to English speakers.

Soooooo...then the "remark" would appear to be quite true.....I find that useful!

I've seen schools with and without assistants. The students at schools without assistants were quite often weaker than the ones with.

I think for most foreign teachers, since so many know little or no Thai and know little if anything about Thai students, do better with an assistant.

For those of us who have spent many years here, can speak at least enough Thai to control students, it probably is not necessary. I know for sure mine has about the easiest/most boring job in the world. Usually she just has to hang out at the back of the class and occasionally remind a student to be quiet.

An assistant to translate anything a "native English" speaker's saying, doesn't make any sense at all. You're absolutely right about that knowing the Thai language, their cultural environment they grow up in, plus having enough experience, does make the trick.

Having an assistant to keep them quiet would definitely make sense. And she/he would learn a better English just by having daily conversations and of course through teaching....

There're various researches and it’s a fact that simultaneously translations do not work, as the sentence structure, meaning, etc. is completely changing.

Kids have to learn English in English and not having all explained in Thai, which is usually the norm, when taught by Thai English teachers. It helps a lot if you can explain words in Thai.

And if you’re able to \write the Thai word of the new English vocabulary on the board, you’re good to go.

I don't understand the OP's statement about the Filipina with her “poor” English, while he seems to have bigger problems to actually teach them in English without an assistant.

I have the same problem. after your explanation about her poor teaching ability doesn't make you look better at all.

Teaching is the profession that creates all occupations. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Bayboy, it seems you have managed to belittle the Thai education system, your school's principal, your fellow English teachers, and are admitting you are having trouble teaching elementary school children without an assistant.

I'm currently working in a school where I'm teaching k2 & k3. This school has given me a Thai assistant teacher to have in my classes. It's good for controlling the kids behavior but it isn't helping with them actually learning anything.

The last school I worked at I was teaching k-P6 and the kids seemed to know a lot more and could understand more of what I was saying.

Today as my assistant was helping me teach lyrics to a familiar kids song-- all the children now think "Lay them straight" is "Ray dem sturlate"

ZzzZZzzz I am annoyed by her. I need her to control the kids but to stop trying to speak English and stop trying to tell them how to pronounce anything because her English is horrible. I'm really not sure how she got the job.

Have you thought the Thai assistant teachers are there for reasons other than helping you maintain order? Could it be the Thai assistant teachers are there to learn better English and that you are expected to help them do that?

I know the policy is that English teachers should not speak Thai in the classroom, and some schools prefer their farang teachers to be ignorant of Thai, but in all the teaching jobs i have had (corporate, private and university) I find speaking Thai (or at least knowing how, so appreciation of the grammar differences) make my job much easier. I personally feel all English teachers should make reasonable effort to learn the native language of the country their teaching in. A teacher can bang their head off the wall for a whole class, or just explain in Thai and move forward.

• Like 1

Have you thought the Thai assistant teachers are there for reasons other than helping you maintain order? Could it be the Thai assistant teachers are there to learn better English and that you are expected to help them do that?

That's an interesting perspective. I'm not sure it really happens much, but I suppose it does.

One thing I noticed is the OP's quote "I need her to control the kids but to stop trying to speak English". I think this is the wrong way to approach this. I have always insisted my assistants speak English except when complex instructions have to be given. I feel it actually gives the students confidence seeing another Thai speaking English.

My wife works as an assistant and she speaks English with the kids almost all the time. Many of them will speak English with her outside the classroom. It is hard to argue with her technique when I hear her students speaking English.

In reference to the principal, does she not speak English, or is her pronunciation so bad she is difficult to understand? If it is pronunciation only, she may well have earned her PhD. My Vietnamese ex-wife, had a Master's in Economics from the Sorbonne. She read and wrote perfect and fluent English and French, but had a terrible accent. She is the retired CFO of a major US Credit Card company.

That's an interesting perspective. I'm not sure it really happens much, but I suppose it does.

One thing I noticed is the OP's quote "I need her to control the kids but to stop trying to speak English". I think this is the wrong way to approach this. I have always insisted my assistants speak English except when complex instructions have to be given. I feel it actually gives the students confidence seeing another Thai speaking English.

My wife works as an assistant and she speaks English with the kids almost all the time. Many of them will speak English with her outside the classroom. It is hard to argue with her technique when I hear her students speaking English.

I'll wager you help both your wife and assistant teachers with pronunciation.

I'll wager you help both your wife and assistant teachers with pronunciation.

Sure, I also help my English and Australian friends with their pronunciation. :)

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do you say that? How does your comment connect to this thread?

She's not there to supervise you, she's there to learn from you. I understand why it makes you uncomfortable.

There are lots of not very useful comments in this thread, but that's TVF for you. I am myself a person without a degree, and I'm not a native speaker. Sure, a degree is in many cases just a piece of paper – but, you have to understand that Thai people don't hear English on a regular basis (dubbing all movies and TV shows and whatnot), and they don't have the chance to speak English very often. This limits their ability to learn the language. In addition, very few Thai English teachers speak much English while teaching. As such, many Thai people can often understand and write English, but they're hesitant to speak.They simply don't have the practice and they feel uncomfortable as a result.

My first thought is that she's there to learn from you. She's probably a novice teacher.

Thanks for the replies..... Very interesting comments.

Some answers are due.

JO1973. The principals PhD was from Assumption University, Bangkok.

Aledarrkie. I may have not been clear in the OP. For the first 6 years I taught at this school there were 17 classes in Pratom 1 to 6, and I taught each class for 1 hour per week and actually assisted their Thai English teacher. Generally the classes went well, as difficult items would be explained in Thai by their teacher. The Thai teachers enjoyed the assistance of a native speaker and would try to get pronunciations correct, as well as keeping discipline in the room. The children seemed to be keen to learn and often I would be asked to help if the Thai teacher was having any problems with English.

I left the school for 4 years and returned again in 2007. The school was pleased to have me back and the same procedure as before was resumed. Three years ago there's her from the Philippines started with Thai teachers assisting her. My hours were reduced as she took over my junior classes. This year the Thai assistant was taken away from her and that has caused her present problems.

I have found that the general attitude shown by the students to learning English has fallen in the last 10 years. Talking with other teachers, foreign or Thai the consensus is the girls are out performing the boys in all subjects and there seems to be growing number of boys who are not interested in any learning. I also must say I teach in a rural district.

Also. Something must be right as the school features very well in the English oNet exams every year. Three years ago it was in the top 50 schools in English for the oNet

smotherb. Tell me why I should be praising the Thai education system? I am not belittling the school's Principal just stating fact. The concerns the teacher from the Phillipines is having are what she tells me.

Keeloff. In my Op I did not state the remarks you have attributed to me.

Slightly off topic. My son was an MEP programme last year , his first year of High School. He speaks reads and understands English very well got 100% in English ONet two years ago. In the MEP four teachers were from overseas English Maths, Computers, and Science. My wife and I felt he was losing his English at the High School and were bitterly disappointed in the whole programme. We went to the school and discussed our complaints. We mentioned that we may remove him if things did not get better. The English and Maths teachers were not happy as he was doing all their translations as the Thai assistant was totally useless. They pleaded that we keep him in the MEP. Interesting.

Thanks

BAYBOY.

ok..but a if someone has a PhD in English, that implies that they are at the HIGHEST educational level someone can get in a certain field....if they cannot string together a few sentences than that in itself proves the fact that the degree isn't worth a dime....or at least the institution's standards on what sort of qualifications someone needs to have to earn such a degree is seriously lacking....

if someone really qualified as a PhD, you would think that their knowledge would match up with the piece of paper given to them after completing all the requirements for said diploma...right?

it would be the same as saying someone with a doctorate degree in mathematics that can't calculate the square root of sixty-four....

I agree that it might not be their (PhD students) fault that they haven't had the access to Native English speakers, so blame it on the educational establishment that formulates the criteria for earning such a degree...degrees aren't given out like party favors, someone should show they are capable and worthy of earning such a thing....

at the end of the day,

if you aquire a professional degree in a field, I would certainly hope that the your level of expertise in the subject would match what you were given on a piece of paper.....so if a degree is given out without any sort of proficiency on behalf of the candidate in said field, then yes, the degree isn't worth much at all is it?

p.s I also didnt quote the post that I was referring to....someone had mentioned a principal at their school who had a PhD in English and couldnt string together more than two sentences.....

Edited by Smurkster

ok..but a if someone has a PhD in English, that implies that they are at the HIGHEST educational level someone can get in a certain field....if they cannot string together a few sentences than that in itself proves the fact that the degree isn't worth a dime....or at least the institution's standards on what sort of qualifications someone needs to have to earn such a degree is seriously lacking....

if someone really qualified as a PhD, you would think that their knowledge would match up with the piece of paper given to them after completing all the requirements for said diploma...right?

it would be the same as saying someone with a doctorate degree in mathematics that can't calculate the square root of sixty-four....

I agree that it might not be their (PhD students) fault that they haven't had the access to Native English speakers, so blame it on the educational establishment that formulates the criteria for earning such a degree...degrees aren't given out like party favors, someone should show they are capable and worthy of earning such a thing....

at the end of the day,

if you aquire a professional degree in a field, I would certainly hope that the your level of expertise in the subject would match what you were given on a piece of paper.....so if a degree is given out without any sort of proficiency on behalf of the candidate in said field, then yes, the degree isn't worth much at all is it?

I can see you have not taught English to many if any high school or older students.

Thais with English degrees can actually do more than string sentences together, when writing. But this is a much different thing than being able to speak and understand.

I see it all the time; students as young as 12 years old who can read and write English very well, but have little or no listening and speaking skills.

Many Thai teachers still lingering around Mathayom and universities learned English long before seeing our white faces around the school became a regular thing. They learned to read and write quite well and do a very good job with the resources they have teaching Thai students the same skills.

I understand where you are coming from. When I first came here I worked in a government school and could not believe how few of the English teachers could carry on a conversation. But, over time, I came to understand the reality of the situation instead of criticizing it.

at the end of the day,

Thais with English degrees can actually do more than string sentences together, when writing. But this is a much different thing than being able to speak and understand.

so if you cannot speak and understand...(listening and speaking skills) then the qualifications for an English Degree aren't really there anyway... its good that they can read and write, but mastering a language is a multi faceted endeavor in which speaking and understanding are critical points, no matter WHERE you are in the world

My point was simply that you would expect anyone anywhere with a "degree" in English to be able to at least understand and speak with some level of proficiency, if they cannot do that then case in point, the english degree doesn't really stand for much does it?

No one said anyone has to be a great English or even attempt to learn it, but if you have a piece of paper that says you have spent four or more years trying to master a certain subject (any subject at all), then yes, you should be able to not only read and write, but carry on a conversation to some extent as well

Edited by Smurkster

at the end of the day,

I can see you have not taught English to many if any high school or older students.

I see it all the time; students as young as 12 years old who can read and write English very well, but have little or no listening and speaking skills.

Many Thai teachers still lingering around Mathayom and universities learned English long before seeing our white faces around the school became a regular thing. They learned to read and write quite well and do a very good job with the resources they have teaching Thai students the same skills.

I understand where you are coming from. When I first came here I worked in a government school and could not believe how few of the English teachers could carry on a conversation. But, over time, I came to understand the reality of the situation instead of criticizing it.

In all fairness, please look at so many foreigners. living and working here for a long time, who can't even order a freaking noodle soup at a restaurant.

And there're people here for more than 15 years, without any command of the country's language they're living in.

Why did those NOT pick up some basic Thai to have a basic conversation????

Once some of them can say Sawasdee khrap/ka, they're telling people that they can speak Thai. facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

In all fairness, please look at so many foreigners. living and working here for a long time, who can't even order a freaking noodle soup at a restaurant.

And there're people here for more than 15 years, without any command of the country's language they're living in.

Why did those NOT pick up some basic Thai to have a basic conversation????

Once some of them can say Sawasdee khrap/ka, they're telling people that they can speak Thai. facepalm.gif

oh yes, there are many foreigners here who can't any Thai, but most of these foreigners aren't professing to having any sort of degree in the thai language either

Edited by Smurkster

Bayboy,

You say, "smotherb. Tell me why I should be praising the Thai education system? I am not belittling the school's Principal just stating fact. The concerns the teacher from the Phillipines is having are what she tells me."

I did not suggest you should praise the Thai system. I said, "Bayboy, it seems you have managed to belittle the Thai education system, your school's principal, your fellow English teachers, and are admitting you are having trouble teaching elementary school children without an assistant."

You demeaned the Filipina teacher, by saying, "At my school we have an English teacher from the Philippines who looks after pratom 1 to 3,sadly her pronunciation of English is poor, and she has great difficulty in conveying English to the children." That statement is in very strange English if it is supposed to connote the Filipina said it about herself.

You cast aspersion toward the principal, by saying, "The Principal who has a P hd in English , but can't string 2 sentences together is currently in the USA . . . " That sounds like a slur to me. Somewhat akin to me saying, "The OP does not even know it's PhD, and he still wants to make fun."