US goes soccer crazy as team eyes second round

Jonathan Fairfield

I can assure you that rugby tackles are hard.

The players, especially the forwards, are big men, too.

Union (Warning, the soundtrack to this video contains language which may offend.)

Rugby players, of both codes, don't need to stop for a rest when they're tackled either; they just get up and carry on.

I don't doubt the toughness and tenacity of rugby players. Arising from the last point you make, however, is the necessity for players to hold back during the game. They can't go 100 percent all the time, which is exactly what NFL players must do on every play, which is why the NFL collisions are so much harder and nastier. Too, I think that rugby makes you play the ball, not the man, right? In football, every player is fair game on every play. It doesn't matter if you're just the punter or the kicker trotting down the field. You are subject to being blocked and blindsided at full force. Some of the very hardest hits in the NFL take place away from the ball carrier. Fail to keep an eye out and you end being road kill.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I still agree with this, that soccer/world football has now definitely become a "THING" in the USA and it will only get bigger and bigger and bigger over time. But the detractors will whine of course until their pessimism is totally proven wrong.

Every World Cup seems to bring out its enemies in the U.S. You know who they are: The grumpy naysayers who insist soccer is un-American; the joyless pedants who cling to their guns and baseball, complaining about a lack of scoring; the bitter-enders who, to this day, cannot tolerate the delicate balance of a draw (sorry, a tie).

Every four years, they make the same noises – like shamans in a cave mumbling over beads and rabbit pelts – thinking their incantations may have wider effect in the changing world around them.

But they are on the wrong side of history.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/06/26/no-matter-what-happens-u-s-soccer-has-already-won/

Here is a great example of a right wing reactionary anti-soccer-in-the-USA political pundit. Clearly the anti-soccer side is the STUPID side:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/06/26/ann-coulter-soccer-column/11394947/

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting change in perception about USA football fans. From charming to obnoxious? Oh well!

I had been at that game too, between the U.S. and Ghana, and I’m not going to lie either: I, too, got a little choked up. But I had noticed something else. Midway through the first half, when yet another deafening “U-S-A!” chant drowned out any other sound in the stadium, a bald-pated man wearing the canary-colored jersey of the Brazilian national team rose from his seat and began a chant for Ghana. He did it with a smile, and we all understood: There were so few Ghanaian fans in the stadium, they needed all the help they could get (even though their team was thoroughly outclassing ours at the moment). When he was shouted down by the U.S. fans, with yet another thundering “U-S-A!” chant, his smile turned to a sneer. Soon, Brazilians in our section were chanting for their team, even though they weren’t on the field, with something that was morphing into outright hostility, as if to say: This is our game. In that moment, we were no longer the plucky underdogs we’ve been for so long, the lovable losers giving the world’s game a try with our clumsy passing and horrid first touch. Suddenly, we were a threat on the field, and in the stands at least, we were a bully.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/06/usa_portugal_2014_world_cup_the_u_s_national_team_and_its_rowdy_fans_have.html

Union (Warning, the soundtrack to this video contains language which may offend.)

Rugby players, of both codes, don't need to stop for a rest when they're tackled either; they just get up and carry on.

I don't doubt the toughness and tenacity of rugby players. Arising from the last point you make, however, is the necessity for players to hold back during the game. They can't go 100 percent all the time, which is exactly what NFL players must do on every play, which is why the NFL collisions are so much harder and nastier. Too, I think that rugby makes you play the ball, not the man, right? In football, every player is fair game on every play. It doesn't matter if you're just the punter or the kicker trotting down the field. You are subject to being blocked and blindsided at full force. Some of the very hardest hits in the NFL take place away from the ball carrier. Fail to keep an eye out and you end being road kill.

Not to draw out the argument, but I am not sure why one sport has to be better than another. I love watching American Football, and I liked playing it. However, while I like watching rugby, it was by far my favorite sport to play, and I was on a national championship team back in 1986.

Both games are great, and neither detracts from the other.

As far as football (soccer), I liked playing it when I was younger, but I was not as good at it as those who were born in other countries (I was the only US-born player on our team.) I will admit though, I only watch it every four years.

Sounds more like Rollerball than football.

Well, ignoring our opinions and differences ... congratulations to the Men's National US Soccer Team making it into the next round.

Sport, should always be encouraged*. Anything to get us, our Family and especially our kids outdoors and exercising is great.

Well done ... ussoccerlogo.png

*Sports shooting is not an outdoor exercise I endorse!

Another interesting commentary about the "debate" in the USA about whether soccer is REALLY gaining in popularity there, or not:

2014 World Cup exposes soccer haters for what they really are
It takes a special kind of logic to argue that rooting for the United States against international competition is, in actuality, being exceptionally un-American.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/2014-world-cup-exposes-soccer-haters-for-what-they-really-are/2014/06/28/c4219cc2-fe45-11e3-932c-0a55b81f48ce_story.html

Well, here's a different point of view: http://www.humanevents.com/2014/06/25/americas-favorite-national-pastime-hating-soccer/

Baseball and basketball present a constant threat of personal disgrace. In hockey, there are three or four fights a game—and it’s not a stroll on beach to be on ice with a puck flying around at 100 miles per hour. After a football game, ambulances carry off the wounded. After a soccer game, every player gets a ribbon and a juice box.

Interesting angle from the Americans given that in the rest of the world it tends to be girls and gays who hate football. wink.png

Not any more.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I notice someone mentioned equipment cost, which has been a big factor in building numbers compared to egg throwing. Another factor I've often heard quoted is the spinal injuries that are a put off.

I was talking yesterday to an American who knew his football from following his niece. She apparently had just got a scholarship to Stanford to play proper football. It's gone mainstream alright.

Edited by Chicog

I notice someone mentioned equipment cost, which has been a big factor in building numbers compared to egg throwing. Another factor I've often heard quoted is the spinal injuries that are a put off.

I was talking yesterday to an American who knew his football from following his niece. She apparently had just got a scholarship to Stanford to play proper football. It's gone mainstream alright.

My kids played a lot of sports in the US & abroad, including football (both gridiron and soccer). For sure, equipment costs are a big factor, as it's damn expensive to equip kids to pursue sports. BUT, ice hockey takes the cake. The expenses are truly astronomical to equip kids to play that sport, not to mention the travel expenses for the family following their kiddie around their intensive schedule.

As far as "proper football" going mainstream in America, that won't happen until there is a massive recruiting structure in place similar to baseball, basketball, and American football. Sports are so highly competitive in the US, that by the time the kid reaches high school, only the very best players are left, and the best of the best are already choosing specialties and being watched by scouts from not only colleges, but even pro teams.

I'm sure any of the forum's American members will disagree with what i'm about to say but the thrust of my post came from an American acquaintance years ago.

We were discussing the WC on at the time and the US doing well but he pointed out that American enthusiasm would wane as soon as the US was eliminated as he said " Americans don't do neutral spectator very well. "

It's natural the supporters of a team in any sport are knocked out of their stride when their team is eliminated but not necessarily to give up on a tournament completely.

Would any of our American friends care to advise if this attitude still exists or even if it ever did ?

Martin tyler said much the same thing on australian tv last night. from his experience working on US tv last world cup once they are out all interest is lost and everyone switches off more than any other country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I'm sure any of the forum's American members will disagree with what i'm about to say but the thrust of my post came from an American acquaintance years ago.

We were discussing the WC on at the time and the US doing well but he pointed out that American enthusiasm would wane as soon as the US was eliminated as he said " Americans don't do neutral spectator very well. "

It's natural the supporters of a team in any sport are knocked out of their stride when their team is eliminated but not necessarily to give up on a tournament completely.

Would any of our American friends care to advise if this attitude still exists or even if it ever did ?

Martin tyler said much the same thing on australian tv last night. from his experience working on US tv last world cup once they are out all interest is lost and everyone switches off more than any other country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks for that. i wasn't being insulting just repeating what my friend said.

I have spent my life watching games as a complete neutral and sometimes it's the best to enjoy to the fullest.

There is talk of the US bidding for the 20026 spectacle of football.

Might call it the World Series I guess.

smile.png

I reckon the USA would be an excellent candidate to host the event.

If they bid, I wish them well.

There is talk of the US bidding for the 20026 spectacle of football.

Might call it the World Series I guess.

smile.png

I reckon the USA would be an excellent candidate to host the event.

If they bid, I wish them well.

They certainly made a better showing against Germany than world class Brazil. Germany 7-1 vs. 1-0 against US!

• Like 1