Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is true and yes it is super stupid. I can understand why the little step though moped type bikes with small under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly. But surely they could say proper motorbikes, which are incidentally far safer in a good riders hands, of over say 200cc engine capacity should be allowed on all Thai motorways. The main criteria is that the motorbikes are not slow creeping mobile obstructions on these main motorway roads. A proper bike over 200cc should if properly ridden be going just as fast as the majority of cars and other vehicles on the motorway and thus has to be far safer.

I personally have a 600cc Honda Steed and i like to think I ride it well and safely having been properly trained years ago back in the UK, but I find it very frustrating when I want to go say touring that I cannot take it on the motorways and see no point in such a restriction on motorbikes of this size and ability. Heck I would feel and truly be far safer riding on a motorway on my bike than on the alternative roads with drivers and riders jumping lights, 3 or more on a bike and going in the wrong direction in a traffic lane. As we all know because of the appalling dangerous riding and driving on the roads here it is a real hazard course and a nightmare having to ride so very defensively at all times awaiting the inevitable stupid driver who comes out of a side junction without stopping or even looking. Sure such drivers should get a ban and big fine, maybe that just may start to reduce the road casualties a little bit

Certainly this is a law here that does need changing sensibly..

"under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly."

Being from the UK it is surprising that you don't know that motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on motorways. And its been like that since 1959 when the first section of the Preston by-pass (M6) was opened.

Clearly, in over 50 years there has not been a problem or the law would have been changed. However, safe drivers and safe motorcyclists can co-exist easily - bad drivers and idiotic motorcyclists together will always be a problem, especially on high speed roads.

It is not the ability of the bike that is in question - it is the ability of the rider and the surrounding drivers.

"Clearly, in over 50 years there has not been a problem or the law would have been changed."- how trusting you are!

​The law DOES state that any motorcycle must be OVER 50 cc to drive on UK motorways - you must also possess a full d/l. No L plates allowed on motorways in the UK.

Did you not notice that I said "motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on motorways."?

Another criteria is you must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

And be able to read and understand....

those criteria are general and not related specifically to driving on motorways.........

The first move should be to put all police through an intense "traffic rules" course, so that they can understand and know the rules as most clearly do not at this stage.

Most Thai mororcy riders do not seem to understand the meaning of RED and GREEN lights. Usually if they are waiting on RED and cannot see any traffic , they just proceed regardless. Once one goes, usually a young male, the rest all follow. Only today this happened to me and the idiots behind were tooting me because they could'nt get past as i waited for the GREEN.

• Like 1

Since when did they issue real tickets?

Wife just got a ticket in the mail today - crossed a line a little too close to a bridge, as she went up the bridge. Seems very minor to me, but still a 500 baht fine. And this happened a month ago. Someone must sit there and go through hours of video to check for this.

Just set up camera on every set of traffic lights - government revenue will easily increase 5 times and there should, eventually, be far fewer accidents from light jumpers.

I really do wonder: go to ANY grammar-school in Thailand, when the kids start to go home; have a look at what's on display here: very young kids, 3 or 4 to a motorbike; NO helmets, No license (because they're only 8 to 12 years old ! !) and therefore NO insurance.

Then go and take a look at the High-School kids: also more than 2 on a bike; NO helmets and NO clue as to traffic-safety. Some of the boys drive like total morons (TO IMPRESS THE GIRLS, NO DOUBT) - but a grave danger on the road.

Are they going to crack-down on this too ? ?

w00t.gif

No,how are the kids to get to school,mum and dad don't have a licence either. I blame the schools,they could ban all motorbikes being driven by children but instead they provide parking spaces. When i take my 6 year old son to school i always wear a helmet and make sure that my son wears his, and the teachers who should be setting a good example drive past me without helmets,two who i know personally don't even have a driving licence because '' It's not necessary as i live near the school''

My partner's two children are not allowed to ride on a m/c with other "children" riders. If she is unable to take them, they ride on a tuk tuk bus. Too many parents could not care less what their kids do.

The first move should be to put all police through an intense "traffic rules" course, so that they can understand and know the rules as most clearly do not at this stage.

Most Thai mororcy riders do not seem to understand the meaning of RED and GREEN lights. Usually if they are waiting on RED and cannot see any traffic , they just proceed regardless. Once one goes, usually a young male, the rest all follow. Only today this happened to me and the idiots behind were tooting me because they could'nt get past as i waited for the GREEN.

Traffic rules????? until the police get even the slightest idea of an overview of road safety then any "measures" - enforcement or otherwise are a complete waste of time.

Every time these threads start up, I'm horrified by the lack of understanding of road safety by TV members, it is quite appalling.

It's great if it happens. But I will believe it when I see it.

Yes, all one can do is hope for positive change. Traffic law enforcement is two or three decades overdue. Traffic safety is nearly non existent. Thousands of lives per year could be saved if the police decide to devote themselves to real law enforcement instead of revenue collection only. Imagine the police here upholding traffic law? It is a beautiful vision seeing reckless drivers locked up, having their vehicles confiscated, and imposing real fines. The ones with an actual summons. A written ticket. Imagine?

Spidermike007

• Like 2

OH NO! Tea money just went from 200 to 300 baht?

More than that now. Tuesday 24 Jun.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

Any chance of you telling us if it is tea money or fines.?

Never Sure was talking about tea Money and you said fines.

There is a big difference.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

So if you pay on the spot and they give you a receipt.........so what? You try to chase that up later and you'll hit a blank wall. how much money gets into the poise station and how much goes on to the proper bank account after that is anybody's guess.

I think enforcing something is only as good as enlightening people as to what is going to be enforced.

Roads with no paint stripes, lights that malfunction, or don;t work, or are not where they would do good, signs of all sorts missing to speed, caution, warning, direction etc. et al.

There are so many holes in the system, let alone the obvious which are not made clear by traffic enforcement either when driving or at the time someone bothers to take and pass the test. Most of the items in the drivers pre-test booklet cover items the driver never encounters. This includes (but is not limited to) situations and signs and stripes that should be there but aren't.

I guess I don't mind obeying the law, but wouldn't it be prudent to inform me of what the law is, and then place in my environment reminders of those things?

My suggestion would be to go after those who do not have licenses and / or those who are uninsured, as well as under-aged drivers.

But when one really sits down and thinks about all of this, one is compelled to conclude that this is simply another method to spite righting the wrongs of this society, and merely add to the list of wrongs that afflict this society; all for the sake of saving face and lining pockets.

Yes you are right there are a lot of holes in the system. How ever there are plenty of them plugged that people know about that should be enforced. I doubt very much they are going to be looking for cars parked 36 centimeters from the curb. Not sure if it is 30 or 35 centimeters. I sincerely hope that they do enforce the obvious ones and are not like their predecessors just talk. It would be nice for a change.

Also it would be nice if they were a lot harder on the driving portion of getting a drivers license. There are a lot of people on the road with a license who should not be there.

With all the holes that are not plugged they could still write a lot of tickets. Drunk driving, speeding, Failure to signal, running red lights and the list goes on. Read the traffic code and see if you think they have enough people to enforce every thing in it.

Plus as you say paint lines and maintain the lighting system if in deed they have one.

So if you pay on the spot and they give you a receipt.........so what? You try to chase that up later and you'll hit a blank wall. how much money gets into the poise station and how much goes on to the proper bank account after that is anybody's guess.

You can say the same about the money you take into the station. In fact I had heard a rumor a few years ago that the officers writing the ticket would get a kick back if it was paid at the police station.

My question still stands. Was it tea money or a fine?

Edited by northernjohn

I think enforcing something is only as good as enlightening people as to what is going to be enforced.

Roads with no paint stripes, lights that malfunction, or don;t work, or are not where they would do good, signs of all sorts missing to speed, caution, warning, direction etc. et al.

There are so many holes in the system, let alone the obvious which are not made clear by traffic enforcement either when driving or at the time someone bothers to take and pass the test. Most of the items in the drivers pre-test booklet cover items the driver never encounters. This includes (but is not limited to) situations and signs and stripes that should be there but aren't.

I guess I don't mind obeying the law, but wouldn't it be prudent to inform me of what the law is, and then place in my environment reminders of those things?

My suggestion would be to go after those who do not have licenses and / or those who are uninsured, as well as under-aged drivers.

But when one really sits down and thinks about all of this, one is compelled to conclude that this is simply another method to spite righting the wrongs of this society, and merely add to the list of wrongs that afflict this society; all for the sake of saving face and lining pockets.

Yes you are right there are a lot of holes in the system. How ever there are plenty of them plugged that people know about that should be enforced. I doubt very much they are going to be looking for cars parked 36 centimeters from the curb. Not sure if it is 30 or 35 centimeters. I sincerely hope that they do enforce the obvious ones and are not like their predecessors just talk. It would be nice for a change.

Also it would be nice if they were a lot harder on the driving portion of getting a drivers license. There are a lot of people on the road with a license who should not be there.

With all the holes that are not plugged they could still write a lot of tickets. Drunk driving, speeding, Failure to signal, running red lights and the list goes on. Read the traffic code and see if you think they have enough people to enforce every thing in it.

Plus as you say paint lines and maintain the lighting system if in deed they have one.

you would need curbs too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Off topic I know but this is extremely irritating. When are people going to learn the correct use of the apostrophe? In the above post; camera's - no. cameras - yes.

I want to give you one million Likes !!!!!

The very concept of actual law enforcement in this country boggles the mind. Imagine the average policeman converting himself from a revenue collection agent, into a law enforcement official? That would be a major transformation, and would benefit the country to no end. What would it take? Here is what it would take, in my opinion:

1. The central government getting serious and committing more money to police reform, than the previous Yingbat committed to the rice pledging scheme. I am estimating it would require a minimum of 15 billion dollars to train, equip, and bring up to iinternational standards, the police department nationwide.

2. Forensics. Billions would have to be spent bringing the police out of the dark ages, when it comes to crime labs, technicians, modern equipment, processing, computer systems, training, etc.

3. Salary. Compensation nationwide would have to double. Currently, from what I am told, the starting salary is around 8,000 to 10,000 baht per month, for the rank and file guys. A Sergeant Major, who has been with the force for 10-15 years, earns about 16,000 per month. I hear many police use money from their own pockets to pay for equipment, as the state is too stingy and misguided, to equip them properly.

4. Overseas training. The only way Thailand is ever going to bring itself up to an international standard, when it comes to detective work, and forensics, is to either train overseas, or bring in experts from overseas to head up the training in the labs, and in the field. Does anyone imagine something like this could ever happen?

I could go on, and on, and on. But, you get the message.

• Like 2

If you jump a red light for the first time you should be banned for life, as you may end someone elses ! Get tougher guys!!!!!

Not enough Lee - let's also castrate them and forcibly anal probe them too. Lighten up dude, you'll live longer.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Leave him alone Strad----- he's trying to get his post number up------- and doing well in a short timeclap2.gif

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

Can you tell me/us what the starting salary of a policeman/woman is? How about advancement e.g. time in service/promotion etc.? What might be their educational background etc. in relation to a factory workers salary? I often hear a/b low salaries of police/teachers but would LOVE to see the facts.

Thanks

I was told by a policeman's step-daughter (my crazy deluded paranoid EX-GF) "my father's salary is only 22,000 a month"

But she was full of bulls manure... Looked like a katoy also! Maybe that had something to do with all the lies...

• Like 1

I'm always getting up behind motorbikes who's driver is on the bloody phone!

Crawling along holding up the traffic and causing people to be late or just get pissed off!

So I give then a good blast on the horn!

Not that it's going to teach them not to talk on the phone while driving

But at least they can't hold a conversation anymore

Edited by Porkster
  • Like 1

Seriously! What good is making laws with punishment if the police just use and abuse them to collect money for their lovers and parties? Until they get rid of the corrupt police who make checkpoints simply to fatten their pockets then any law the NCPO makes will be pointless....

Better still, train them so they know what they can and cannot do, crack down on corruption especially in cities , and above all pay them properly. Oh and a few small things, clarify when and why you can go through a red light, do a U turn in front of the vehicle on your right, ride a motorbike without a helmet or tail light, not look right especially if you are a motorcycle rider, drive bumper to bumper if you are a tourist bus, and play 'sandwiching' with any car that dares to get between you, or drive faster to get away from rain.

Seriously! What good is making laws with punishment if the police just use and abuse them to collect money for their lovers and parties? Until they get rid of the corrupt police who make checkpoints simply to fatten their pockets then any law the NCPO makes will be pointless....

Better still, train them so they know what they can and cannot do, crack down on corruption especially in cities , and above all pay them properly. Oh and a few small things, clarify when and why you can go through a red light, do a U turn in front of the vehicle on your right, ride a motorbike without a helmet or tail light, not look right especially if you are a motorcycle rider, drive bumper to bumper if you are a tourist bus, and play 'sandwiching' with any car that dares to get between you, or drive faster to get away from rain.

And where is the money to pay them properly going to come from exactly? And if unable to pay them properly, and you "eliminate the corruption", then what are they & their families (what you call "their lovers and parties") going to live on? It sounds so simple and so noble when you don't think things through...

Police salaries are a pittance, yet I'm told that if you want to work in somewhere like Pattaya, you may incur up 1 million baht "expenses". Apparently in is a worthwhile "investment". This would seem to indicate that most police have "secondary" incomes, and that Thai police are not so much law enforcers as businessmen.

Aside of this in the end they will have to face the facts that in a modern world of forensics and electronic surveillance (including radar), they will have to come up to date......this means a sea change in the way the police operate. It would be nice therefore to assume that the current changes in those in high positions in the force is more than replacing the old guard with those sympathetic to the new regime and will result in endemic corruption being tackled.

• Like 1

Funny how the cops get off their fat ars*s only now to do their jobs. dry.png

What makes you think that? As far as I can see, this is just another in a long line of dictums dating back decades......... it would nice if this was wrong, but I haven't seen anything YET to indicate it is in any way different.