Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action

webfact

Post removed

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously! What good is making laws with punishment if the police just use and abuse them to collect money for their lovers and parties? Until they get rid of the corrupt police who make checkpoints simply to fatten their pockets then any law the NCPO makes will be pointless....

Absolutely spot on! Until they address their number one problem, corruption, they're just "making noise".

Thailand desperately needs to do something about the traffic safety but it has to be enforceable. I don't see how they can revoke a license here for just 30 days, all that will happen is the driver will carry on driving and hope not to get caught.

If they want to be really tough they should confiscate ALL vehicles that are not insured or taxed at the roadside. The confiscation costs should be charged to the driver which he/she must pay when they collect their vehicle from the police pound and they can only do so when they show they appropriate tax and insurance.

Speeding, reckless driving and drunk driving are the next to crack. I think they should adopt the pointS system on the license for that. Lastly, proper driving lessons, proper tests and a whole load of education..

Despite this I like the fact they are saying the right things, lets hope they actually do something now, at least the ball will be rolling.

I agree and while we're "dreaming" I hope I dream that the police are in vehicles on the highways and spot people driving recklessly and do SOMETHING. These "road block" approaches are dangerous and only monitor a few things. Then the individuals SPEED off wanting to make up for "lost time." God help ya if you're in THEIR way.

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

Cops in Thailand are like waitresses in the west. They don't get much of a salary because people give them tips.

What is the typical Thai policeman/woman's salary? Is it listed somewhere?

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

Where do posters get this idea of paying these guys more to prevent corruption.

How much do you suggest ? .. considering they do close to nothing, then they should be payed accordingly.

They dont even know how to effectively direct traffic, its always one direction at a time .. have you not noticed ?

Get them out doing some work for starters.

Thank you. I could not agree more.

I've been told their starting salary ... and I think they need a HS diploma.... time served... lol is a/b bt 8000. Do they "work" nights/weekends/ around the clock? There's a police station w/ in walking distance of where we're living (Isaan village) and I NEVER see uniformed police.

Its not noble to think they should be paid more. If the money they earn from bribes were reduced or eliminated and the wage structure reviewed that would generate some increased incomes. Even a very modest movement of money from the fuel tax would help. There are many ways of doing it. Its all part of the need to redistribute wealth, which of course will be fiercely resisted by those who have it.

So long as 60% of the Thai public think "corruption" is acceptable, it will be difficult to make any real difference - regardless o how much they are paid. i bear in mind it it is the public at large (you and I) that are paying the police - every time they are stopped and hand over some cash through the car window.

Edited by wilcopops

Like I tell my friends back home:

Only in Thailand will you see a family of five on a 110cc scooter where at least one is less than a year old, none are wearing helmets, the driving is either talking on the phone or has a cigarette in hand, it's raining and one passenger is holding that infant (less than 1 yr old) with one hand and an umbrella with the other, they are going down the road in the wrong direction, it's night time and the scooter has no lights.

You can drive a car as fast as you want to and the only thing that stops you are:

1) Your courage

2) The traffic

3) The limitation of your vehicle

TIT!!!!!!!

Like I tell my friends back home:

Only in Thailand will you see a family of five on a 110cc scooter where at least one is less than a year old, none are wearing helmets, the driving is either talking on the phone or has a cigarette in hand, it's raining and one passenger is holding that infant (less than 1 yr old) with one hand and an umbrella with the other, they are going down the road in the wrong direction, it's night time and the scooter has no lights.

You can drive a car as fast as you want to and the only thing that stops you are:

1) Your courage

2) The traffic

3) The limitation of your vehicle

TIT!!!!!!!

Only a hugely unobservant foreign driver would feel the need to mention that