Labour Ministry seeks to regain confidence from abroad by improving alien workers registration

webfact

Labour Ministry seeks to regain confidence from abroad by improving alien workers registration

PNECO570626001000201_26062014_101418.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 June 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Labour is looking to put in place a more thorough alien workers registration system, to regain confidence from the international community following the United States' relegation of Thailand to Tier 3 on its human trafficking watch list.

Department of Labour Protection and Welfare director-general Phanit Chitchaeng indicated on Wednesday that in addition to the improved registration system, the Ministry of Labour will check existing records on migrant workers and also encourage participation from businesses and other sectors in the tackling of the unregistered labour issue.

Mr. Phanit said inbound migrants were of primary concern, thus the labour system needs to ensure that these individuals were working legally, so they would be entitled to legal protection like their Thai counterparts. He also commented on labour in the fishing industry, which recently drew fire for the reported prevalent use of forced labour.

Mr. Phanit said these cases were fishing operations conducted away from the Thai waters. A labour coordination center for the fishing industry has already been established to allow officials to work with the fishing operators in addressing this issue.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-26 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Wow, We bounce from denial that the US and EU can affect Thailand, to a scathing denouncement, to getting onto bended knee, and then back up again.

I've never heard so much billshirt in my life as these guys can come up with. Geez. Just fix the darned problem.

• Like 1

Thats all Bullshit Ive been to all these so called non human trafficking countries. Their borders are more open and porous than Thailand ever thought about being. And yes they have slave labor and sex slaves, Sweat shops and the whole works... Just not true at all. In my opinion..I think Thailand needs to stop worrying about what others think quite frankly. But its nice to show an effort............:)

At least the Army are doing something which is more than any government in the last 20 or so years doesn't seem to have done.

It is odd however that by doing something they are castigated and the politicians who did nothing get a free pass.

• Like 2

To put it mildly what did you expect from the international community, a hand shake, what Thailand has to remember is there are rules and International rules, your rules mean SFA outside of Thailand, to think you can call Thailand a modern economic country is a load of salt , you treat outsiders like sh!!t unless there is money involved, then everyone is playing Thailand's song, it's time Thailand joined the international community or face isolation as a rebel nation not worth the price of a few beers to piss on., show some responsibility, maturity and treat every one like you would like to be treated.bah.gif

• Like 2

They need to require the proper papers for immigrant workers and they need to require the employers to pay the legal wage, same as Thai people are paid.

As for what other countries say, I tell my wife when she is concerned about what other people think, "If these people do not feed you, pay your bills, care for you when you are sick, to hell with them".

The EU and USA have plenty of problems to take care without worrying about Thailand. The UN is another worthless and expensive facade.