One-way Ticket To Bangkok?

Greetings,

I recently purchased a one-way ticket from SFO to Bangkok. My plan is to travel within Southeast and East Asia for a couple of months or so, and then decide whether to look for work teaching somewhere, or to return home instead.

My airline (ANA) informed me that they may not let me board the flight without proof of a return ticket or through ticket, OR a valid Thai visa. When I look at the requirements for obtaining a tourist visa, it looks like one necessary item is a copy of the airline ticket or itinerary.

Am I up a creek? Any suggestions hugely appreciated!!!

Todd

That's the best suggestion but I've never had any problem arriving without a return or onward journey ticket OR a visa - never any questions asked but if you feel worried at all then like the previous poster said, get a cheap ticket onwards, try out Phnom Penh or Pennang, you might need it after a month in Thailand :o

best of luck

I believe most Consulates in the US do not require a ticket if you have a US passport. Or would accept your itinerary rather than a return ticket.

?

True, no return ticket needed to get any kind of Thai visa. And then, once you have a Thai visa, no airline will want to see your "out of Thailand" ticket.

But, as I understand it, the OP's dilemna is: No return ticket, plus no visa.

And yes, ANA just might deny boarding without either a visa or an "out of Thailand" ticket. Why? Because they're a code-share with United Airlines. And I know first-hand that United -- on occasions -- will ask to see your 'out of Thailand' ticket if they can't find a visa in your passport. (In our case, my dual-citizen wife just showed her Thai passport, which temporarily threw the agent, but which finally surficed as a visa equivalent.)

This on surfaces with monotonous regularity :o

The answer is always the same:-

1. Immigration don't give a hoot whether you have an onward ticket or not :D

2. The airline DO give a hoot and are quite likely to prevent you from boarding if you don't have EITHER a valid visa OR confirmed onward AIR travel. :D

The requirement for onward travel is actually an immigration requirement for the visa-waiver 30 day stamp. The airlines are covering their back because they get stuffed with a fine and having to fly you home should you be denied entry.

SOLUTION. Get an onward ticket OR a visa QED.

You should be able to get a tourist visa with nothing other than your passport, but each embassy / consulate seems to have their own rules.

This on surfaces with monotonous regularity :o

The answer is always the same:-

1. Immigration don't give a hoot whether you have an onward ticket or not :D

2. The airline DO give a hoot and are quite likely to prevent you from boarding if you don't have EITHER a valid visa OR confirmed onward AIR travel. :D

The requirement for onward travel is actually an immigration requirement for the visa-waiver 30 day stamp. The airlines are covering their back because they get stuffed with a fine and having to fly you home should you be denied entry.

SOLUTION. Get an onward ticket OR a visa QED.

You should be able to get a tourist visa with nothing other than your passport, but each embassy / consulate seems to have their own rules.

absolutely correct crossy

I travel a lot on one way tickets back to Thailand and yes I have had many problems if I dont have a visa. I have been refused a boarding pass on air canada and lufthansa. They say the airline can be fined in Thailand, if they allow me to board (without a visa or an onward ticket). I usually buy a ticket to Singapore (one way good for a year around Bt 3000.) then refund it before it expires. I usually dont have any problems if travelling on Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably evidence that I am going on a cruise from Chonburi to Singapore will carry the same weight as an air ticket to Singapore for the purpose of the 30-day visa waiver? I can't think of a sensible reason why not but if anyone has experience please let me know.

(Background: I am British and entering Bangkok on the return leg of a plane ticket on 21 August. The cruise starts on 22 August. The cruise company do not issue formal tickets but they will probably issue a letter "to whom it may concern" confirming that I am listed on their passenger manifest.)

Incidentally, my repeated past experience has been that Sri Lankan Airways at Heathrow have not asked to see my 60-day Thai visas, even though I have been entering Bangkok on a return leg (i.e. no onward flight). I'm not inviting people to rely on that though!

The airline will want to see proof of onward travel as noted by others they can get fined heavily.

I used to always travel back to Thailand on the return leg of a roundtrip ticket purchased in Thailand since for Business Class on Northwest the price difference was signficant between buying in Thailand and buying/orginating in USA (about 2,000 USD!). I did that about 10 times, the first 6 no problems at all asking for visa or return/onward ticket. The 7th the agent asked, told me the official rules and then lucky for me I happened to have a BKK/SIN ticket unused which made her happy.

Alternative is buy a cheap AirAsia or other ticket or get sufficient proof from your cruise company that shows you are leaving Thailand. Worst case you get stuck at the airport purchasing a one way refundable ticket out of Thailand. Or as others have said you just should get a valid Tourist Visa then no problem either.

Question is how lucky does someone feel and want to push it.

Dan

Presumably evidence that I am going on a cruise from Chonburi to Singapore will carry the same weight as an air ticket to Singapore for the purpose of the 30-day visa waiver? I can't think of a sensible reason why not but if anyone has experience please let me know.

(Background: I am British and entering Bangkok on the return leg of a plane ticket on 21 August. The cruise starts on 22 August. The cruise company do not issue formal tickets but they will probably issue a letter "to whom it may concern" confirming that I am listed on their passenger manifest.)

Incidentally, my repeated past experience has been that Sri Lankan Airways at Heathrow have not asked to see my 60-day Thai visas, even though I have been entering Bangkok on a return leg (i.e. no onward flight). I'm not inviting people to rely on that though!

I recently had the same 'no onward ticket' situation flying from London to BKK with Emirates, for the first time in 4 years and some 12 trips. However I had already booked another BKK-London-BKK return for 2 months ahead, but had not paid for the ticket yet. Emirates checked this reservation and printed it out on a 'voucher' which proved I had an 'onward reservation'. This obviously covered their position and was at no cost to myself. Not sure if this is a one-off and whether it would work with other airlines.