Cricket International Series & General Chat

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

After winning the toss and batting, the Aussies are 0/126 at lunch with Warner on 100 from 78 balls.

Only the 5th batsmen to score a century before Lunch on 1st day of a Test.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cartwright goes.

Sensational batting!

I missed the entire session...woke up after his 100

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some exciting games in the BBL

Owen Morgan needing 5 runs to win off the last ball and he blasts one straight back over the bowlers head for a huge 6!!

Have to wonder how the ratings for the BBL will compare against the test match series.

Two great days in the test so far.  I missed the last session, so I can only speculate that KhunWill's man, Nathan Lyon, came on to bowl.

9 hours ago, BookMan said:

Owen Morgan needing 5 runs to win off the last ball and he blasts one straight back over the bowlers head for a huge 6!!

Have to wonder how the ratings for the BBL will compare against the test match series.

Two great days in the test so far.  I missed the last session, so I can only speculate that KhunWill's man, Nathan Lyon, came on to bowl.

The BB has been sensational again.

I wonder if CA will start to move the fixtures around to allow the test and one day players to participate.

I'm pretty sure the crowd at the SCG was bigger than the test crowd. Would've been a big day to watch both.

A huge game tonight with the Scorcher and Heat playing.

Your boy Nafe is threatening to tear the game apart again.

He had a catch dropped at slip in the penultimate over of the day.

Leg slip that is. He wouldn't have a catch go to regulation slip as he

never bowls at off stump. Chimpy (whose is Lyon's spin coach) told me that

Nafe thinks the off stump is only there to hold the bails up.

Edited by Will27

10 hours ago, BookMan said:

Highlights of last nights BB game.

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/big-bash-201617/m181444/match-clips/thunder-seal-last-ball-win-vs-stars/2001803496

Woah, just saw the biggest power hitting of all time I think.

I thought the Scorchers score of 174 was about 15 below par.

Lynn 98 off 49 including 11 sixes and McCullum 50 off 31 basically went ballistic.

Heat wrapped it up with 5 and a bit overs to go.

I reckon these "new" bats add 10 to 15 meters and when you bring the boundary

in as well, it makes it tough.

For the Scorchers sake, I just hope Lynn has played himself into the ODI squad and misses the rest of the BB.

If he doesn't get in, there should be a Royal Commission methinks.

On ‎5‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, Will27 said:

Lynn 98 off 49 including 11 sixes and McCullum 50 off 31 basically went ballistic.

For the Scorchers sake, I just hope Lynn has played himself into the ODI squad and misses the rest of the BB.

Uncapped Lynn, Stanlake in Australia ODI squad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-pakistan-2016-17/content/story/1076042.html

On 1/5/2017 at 6:58 PM, Will27 said:

http://www.bigbash.com.au/video/chris-lynn-highlights-big-bash-league-bbl-sixes-brisbane-heat-perth-scorchers/2017-01-05

Highlights for those, like myself, who missed it

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Lowlights for me BookMan:sad:

I wonder if the Poms have ever thought of bringing KP back to their T20 side.

I was thinking about this the other day..

T20 can extend a players career by 10 years....Bradley Hogg...46?

A test player finishes about 32-35 usually.....they can get a good ten more years out of T20

2 minutes ago, BookMan said:

I was thinking about this the other day..

T20 can extend a players career by 10 years....Bradley Hogg...46?

A test player finishes about 32-35 usually.....they can get a good ten more years out of T20

Yep, Brad Hodge is 42.

A lot of guys topping up their superannuation. Good luck to them.

I think KP's card has been marked.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Yep, Brad Hodge is 42.

A lot of guys topping up their superannuation. Good luck to them.

I think KP's card has been marked.

I reckon it wont be long until we see test teams allowed to have an extra 1-2 bowlers per match....perhaps limited to 10 overs each...
to relieve the burden on other players..

Top bowlers are more likely to opt for more t20 in future...much less demanding on their bodies and pays well now there is an international circuit developing.

On  a side note...I think Australia scored at a run rate of almost 8 an over in the second innings of the test match 

3 minutes ago, BookMan said:

I reckon it wont be long until we see test teams allowed to have an extra 1-2 bowlers per match....perhaps limited to 10 overs each...
to relieve the burden on other players..

Top bowlers are more likely to opt for more t20 in future...much less demanding on their bodies and pays well now there is an international circuit developing.

On  a side note...I think Australia scored at a run rate of almost 8 an over in the second innings of the test match 

Guys like Shaun Tait basically gave up first class cricket to play T20.

I think KP plays in 4 T20 tournaments around the word.

Player like Hodge and Hoggy are the same.

Dave Warner and now Chris Lynn basically got their careers started in T20 cricket as well.

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

A massive blow for Brisbane Heat.

I would've liked to have seen Peter Handscomb in as keeper for Wade.

"The demoting of Finch and Bailey marks a significant selection shift for Australia: both men are currently in the top 20 on the ICC's ODI batting rankings, an indication of their performances over a long period of time. In fact, in the past four years, Bailey has been Australia's leading ODI run-scorer with 2603 at 40.67, and Finch third on the list with 2520 at 35.00."

43 minutes ago, BookMan said:

Highest run rate in a Test inns (100+ runs)

7.53   Australia 241/2d  v  Pakistan 3 Jan 2017

6.82   West Indies 173/6   v India  23 Feb 1983

6.80   South Africa 340/3d   v  Zimbabwe 4 Mar 2005

6.78   West Indies 129/1  v  England 8 Jun 1995

6.60   Pakistan164/2   v   India 14 Nov 1978

1 hour ago, BookMan said:

"The demoting of Finch and Bailey marks a significant selection shift for Australia: both men are currently in the top 20 on the ICC's ODI batting rankings, an indication of their performances over a long period of time. In fact, in the past four years, Bailey has been Australia's leading ODI run-scorer with 2603 at 40.67, and Finch third on the list with 2520 at 35.00."

IMO both are suspect against real good sides, a bit like Adam Voges.

In his last 2 series, Bailey averaged 22 in the 5 games against SA and

20 in the 3 against NZ.

Finch averaged 21 against SA and 7 against NZ.

I find Geoff Lawson quite acerbic but he often speaks a lot of sense.

Good article this one.

Australia v Pakistan: Crisis over? India tour will be ultimate test for a team still on drawing Board

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-pakistan-crisis-over-india-tour-will-be-ultimate-test-for-a-team-still-on-drawing-board-20170106-gtn2q1.html

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I find Geoff Lawson quite acerbic but he often speaks a lot of sense.

Good article this one.

Australia v Pakistan: Crisis over? India tour will be ultimate test for a team still on drawing Board

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-pakistan-crisis-over-india-tour-will-be-ultimate-test-for-a-team-still-on-drawing-board-20170106-gtn2q1.html

India could be a 3-0 whitewash to India... Our batting is good and we could post some big scores...

But...I cant see how we are going to take wickets...

India's batsmen will be licking their lips at the thought of facing Lyon. World class batsmen don't take him seriously and India will treat him with the disdain he deserves. (sorry KhunWill...i know you rate him highly)

O'Keefe showed a bit of range and some thinking skills but im not sure he is up to the standard of India yet.  He has more promise and a full 3 test tour there will be interesting

Edited by BookMan

How ODI selections will impact run home for all eight Big Bash League clubs

THE Sydney Sixers run to the Big Bash League finals has been bolstered by the return of three stars from Test duty — but the news isn’t so positive for the Adelaide Strikers and Brisbane Heat.

The announcement of Australia and England’s ODI squads for their respective series against Pakistan and India will have a major impact on all eight clubs involved in the BBL.

With just a fortnight remaining in the regular season, these changes could be the difference between earning a semi-final spot or missing out.

Here’s how Australia and England’s recent ODI squad announcements impact your BBL team’s run home to the end of the regular season.

ADELAIDE STRIKERS

In: N/A

Out: Travis Head and Billy Stanlake

L adder position:7th (2-3)

Run home: Stars (away), Renegades (home), Thunder (away)

As happy as the Strikers would be for Head and Stanlake — the latter being the clear bolter of the ODI squad — the timing for the club couldn’t have been much worse. Not only do they lose one of their best hitters in Head — although the left-hander has been relatively subdued compared to his breakout BBL05 campaign — they also farewell emerging fast bowler Stanlake, who has terrorised opposition batsmen with his pace and bounce on his way to six wickets from four games. The club’s next two games are against the two Melbourne teams, which both have strong bowling attacks.

BRISBANE HEAT

Out: Chris Lynn

Ladder position: 1st (4-1)

Run home: Scorchers (home), Stars (away), Renegades (home)

They only lose one player to international duty, but the top-of-the-table Heat are arguably the biggest loser of the lot as they farewell the player of the tournament to date. Lynn’s power-hitting over the past few weeks — which has seen him blast a clear league-high 26 sixes — undoubtedly played a part in his call-up to Australia’s ODI squad for the Pakistan series. Now Brisbane must find a way to maintain their dominance without the league’s most dominant player in Lynn, who has scored 309 of the Heat’s 900 total runs across their first five matches.

HOBART HURRICANES

Out: N/A

Ladder position: 6th (2-3)

Run home: Thunder (home), Renegades (away), Scorchers (home)

No Hurricanes player enters in or out of the team following the ODI selections, but they still find themselves in the winning corner after George Bailey was left out of the squad. The Hurricanes have had to make do without the star right-hander in recent seasons due to international duty but now have full access to him for the rest of BBL06. Bailey has yet to hit top form for the ‘Canes so far this summer, but his knock of 74 not out against the Stars on Boxing Day proved he still has plenty to offer the Hurricanes, who have just two matches to play after Sunday night (Renegades in Melbourne and the Scorchers in Hobart).

MELBOURNE RENEGADES

Out: N/A

Ladder position: 5th (2-2)

Run home: Sixers (away), Hurricanes (home), Strikers (away), Heat (away)

No ins or outs for the Renegades, who always knew they were going to be without wicketkeeper Matthew Wade at this time of the year. However the non-selection of Aaron Finch in the ODI squad ensures the Renegades hold onto their captain and best player at the top of the order. Finch’s presence is crucial for Melbourne’s red team, which now sits fifth on the table with a 2-2 record. The right-hander’s experience and power hitting will be vital for the Renegades, who will now rely heavily on Finch and Cameron White with injured all-rounder Dwayne Bravo sidelined.

MELBOURNE STARS

In: Peter Handscomb

Out: Adam Zampa, James Faulkner and Glenn Maxwell

Ladder position: 4th (2-2)

Run home: Strikers (home), Scorchers (away), Heat (home), Sixers (home)

As always, the Stars are heavily affected by the Australian selectors, with three now-regular members of the country’s ODI team to switch their focus to the 50-over game. Despite Faulkner and Maxwell’s undoubted all-round ability, it’s the loss of Zampa that could prove most costly for the Stars, with the leg-spinner claiming five wickets at a team-best seven runs per over so far in BBL06. However the good news for the Stars is they regain the in-form Handscomb, who is statistically the Stars’ best ever batsman. Of the players to have batted in 10 innings or more for the Stars, Handscomb has the best average (52.00) followed by Brad Hodge (43.15) and Kevin Pietersen (42.44). Handy in, to go with the in-form duo of Pietersen and Bob Quiney.

PERTH SCORCHERS

In: Hilton Cartwright, Ashton Agar and Tim Bresnan (England)

Out: Mitchell Marsh and David Willey (England)

Ladder position: 2nd (3-2)

Run home: Heat (away), Stars (home), Hurricanes (away)

A very busy time coming up for the Scorchers’ match committee. Not only do they have to contend with the personnel changes to the Australian team, they’ve also been hit hard by the English selectors, who have re-called star all-rounder David Willey for England’s ODI series against India. While the return of all-rounders Cartwright and Agar are important, the departures of Willey and Mitch Marsh are a massive blow for the Scorchers, with both men making major contributions with both bat and ball during the early stages of BBL06. At least they still have Shaun Marsh at the top of the order.

SYDNEY SIXERS

In: Stephen O’Keefe, Jackson Bird and Nathan Lyon, Colin Munro (New Zealand), Michael Lumb (England)

Out: Jason Roy (England), Sam Billings (England)

Ladder position: 3rd (3-2)

Run home: Renegades (home), Thunder (home), Stars (away)

While they’ll be without Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazelwood, the Sixers’ bowling attack has been significantly boosted following the end of the Test series. After spinning Australia to victory over Pakistan at the SCG, O’Keefe and Lyon return to Sydney’s magenta side with three regular season matches remaining. O’Keefe, who was excellent in the Sixers’ first three BBL06 games, should come straight back in, but whether Lyon plays straight away will be interesting to see, as fellow spinners Johan Botha and Will Somerville are both conceding less than seven runs per over respectively so far this summer. Paceman Bird is also available should the Sixers need him too.

SYDNEY THUNDER

In: James Vince (England)

Out: Pat Cummins and Eoin Morgan (England)

Ladder position: 8th (1-4)

Run home: Hurricanes (away), Sixers (away), Strikers (home)

Alongside the Heat, the Thunder are one of the biggest losers due to international selections, with their roster hit by both Australia and England’s upcoming ODI series. Morgan, the man who single-handedly kept the Thunder’s faint finals hopes alive last week with a match-winning final-ball six, links up with England’s ODI team for the India series, while Cummins, who has bowled an equal team-high 19 overs so far in BBL06 and shown off his power hitting with the bat, joins the Australian squad ahead of five games against Pakistan. England’s Vince will somewhat strengthen the batting line-up, but Sydney’s hopes of a miracle fightback seem shot without Morgan, Cummins and the re-called Usman Khawaja.

Sydney Sixers unhappy with Cricket Australia over Steve O'Keefe withdrawal from BBL

Cricket Australia's decision to withdraw Steve O'Keefe from the Big Bash League has brought a terse response from the Sydney Sixers and questions about the spinner's best preparation for next month's Test tour of India.

Just hours before the Sixers' clash against the Melbourne Renegades on Monday night, CA revealed O'Keefe would not feature in another Twenty20 match this season after he and the game's governing body agreed he needed more red-ball cricket ahead of joining Australia's pre-India training camp later this month in Dubai.

This preparation won't be in the Sheffield Shield, for the season is on hold because of the BBL, but rather through grade and Futures League matches.

Fairfax Media can reveal Sixers general manager Dominic Remond argued to CA team performance boss Pat Howard that the left-arm NSW finger spinner would be better off preparing for the spinning sub-continent decks and India's aggressive batsmen by playing in the BBL.

"We would have liked him to play another couple of games and do whatever else he is going to do, to work on his [fitness] loads and get his bowling loads up. I think there was a position where he could do both, from our perspective," Remond said.

"I haven't had any discussions with Steve directly. I spoke to Pat Howard and suggested that to Pat. They have got their [CA] medical opinions on what's best for him in terms of preparation for, potentially, if he gets chosen for that Indian series.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/big-bash/sydney-sixers-unhappy-with-cricket-australia-over-steve-okeefe-withdrawal-from-bbl-20170109-gtoab4.html

12 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I don't rate o'keeffe,spinners are meant to spin the ball.

Ahmed gets the most rip out of all our spinners.

At least BookMan's boy Lyon can spin them.

O'Keéfe bowls nude balls, there's nothing on them.

I agree with Warney about O'Keefe, he's a limited overs bowler.

I'd be taking Zampa.

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

At least BookMan's boy Lyon can spin them.

O'Keéfe bowls nude balls, there's nothing on them.

I agree with Warney about O'Keefe, he's a limited overs bowler.

I'd be taking Zampa.

But can Zampa sing a good team song?...Nathan can. Can't bowl, but boy can he sing!!

Looks like Gorilla Macgilla has some free time...recall!!!

Former cricketer Stuart MacGill served with AVO by partner Julie Singleton

Former Australian Test cricketer Stuart MacGill may appear in a Sydney court this week, after his girlfriend Julie Singleton served him with an apprehended domestic violence order.

Ms Singleton, a Sydney lawyer and the ex-wife of high-profile businessman John Singleton, sought a provisional AVO on Boxing Day, and the case is set to be mentioned in court on Thursday, where police will apply for orders on her behalf.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/former-cricketer-stuart-macgill-served-with-avo-by-partner-julie-singleton-20170110-gtoolq.html

Warner slams 'very, very poor scheduling'

Australia's vice-captain, David Warner, has labelled as "very, very poor" the scheduling decision that will lead to Australia playing a Twenty20 international at home the day before they begin a Test series in India.

The Test players will have a long preparation for the first Test in Pune, spending up to two weeks training on spinning pitches at the ICC Academy in Dubai before heading to India for a warm-up game in Mumbai. However, while the Test players are acclimatising in Asia, a T20 team will be representing Australia in three internationals at home against Sri Lanka.

The T20s take place in Melbourne, Geelong and Adelaide on February 17, 19 and 22, and the first Test in India begins on February 23. That means several members of Australia's first-choice T20 side - including Warner, captain Steven Smith, Usman Khawaja and Mitchell Starc - will be unable to play in the T20s, while others such as Glenn Maxwell could yet find themselves in the Test squad too.

"Scheduling is obviously Cricket Australia's area," Warner said in an interview with Fox Sports. "They play the big role in putting that on. For me, it's about going out there and playing the game and not worrying too much about that. In saying that, it is very, very poor scheduling. To have your Test team going away to play a Test match... it doesn't make any sense to us.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2016-17/content/story/1076800.html

The Scorchers have dropped to 5th.

Playing the Heat again tomorrow is a must win.

We're the only side that plays them twice.

At least Lynn isn't playing although Marsh and Willey are big outs.

Another good game tonight that went down to the wire.