Cricket International Series & General Chat

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/803649.html

Awful news, absolutely terrible.

I remember when I first started playing that people used to laugh about players wearing a helmet. This was an absolute freak of an accident and he will be greatly missed within the cricket community. A player really that never quite got established at the top, but pleant of raw talent. Really feel for the bowler involved as he will feel dreadful about this.

RIP

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not official but it seems as if Alistair Cook has been axed.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/812071.html

IMO, had to be done. In a way, Cook reminds me of Michael Clarke. A great

test player but not really suited to the ODI format.

If you look at the Oz openers of Finch and Warner, they're 100 % + strike rates

guys whereas Cook is probably a 75 - 80.

That would be the Michael Clarke with 7700+ runs at nearly 46, 8 centuries, 100 catches, 56 wickets, numerous run outs and a world cup?

That would be the Michael Clarke with 7700+ runs at nearly 46, 8 centuries, 100 catches, 56 wickets, numerous run outs and a world cup?

Yep, that's the one.

And a strike rate in the seventies.

I think Clarke has been a fantastic player, but IMO, the ODI format has gone past him.

You need guys like Warner, Finch, Smith and Co I reckon.

The old days of 260 being a winning score is long gone.

Yep, that's the one.

IMO, the ODI format has gone past him.

You need guys like Warner, Finch and Smith and Co I reckon.

High seventies. A better strike rate than Sangakkara, Dravid, Ganguly, Kallis, Inzamam, Haynes, Greenidge, Bevan, Dean Jones and similar to Ponting, Jayawardene, Lara. Your argument is flawed to say the least.

Yep, that's the one.

High seventies. A better strike rate than Sangakkara, Dravid, Ganguly, Kallis, Inzamam, Haynes, Greenidge, Bevan, Dean Jones and similar to Ponting, Jayawardene, Lara. Your argument is flawed to say the least.

It's futile to compare strike rates against guys who played 2 years ago, let alone 23 years like Greenidge.

Sangakkara is a wicket keeper also.

The game is evolving yearly.

A score of 300 is more the norm now.

Clarke's last 3 innings this year:

8 off 30 balls at strike rate of 30.76 Jan 2014

68 off 102 at SR 66.66 Aug 2014

11 of 22 at 55 Nov 2014

I don't think at his age he's going to get any better.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yep, that's the one.

It's futile to compare strike rates against guys who played 2 years ago, let alone 23 years like Greenidge.

11 of 22 at 55 Nov 2014

Gilchrist was a wicket keeper. Dhoni is a wicket keeper. Don't get your point?

Assuming Clarke will be fit, he will likely be one of the stars of the cricket world cup

11 of 22 at 55 Nov 2014

Gilchrist was a wicket keeper. Dhoni is a wicket keeper. Don't get your point?

Assuming Clarke will be fit, he will likely be one of the stars of the cricket world cup

Clarkey hasn't been in great one day form. Coming in at 4 I'd like to see his strike rate more around 88 than 78

Here is his ODI stats, innings for innings with strike rate

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/4578.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Yeah, Morgan got the nod. Hoping they keep Cook in the squad though so he can get back to what he does best, though yeah, he's more a Test player.

Alastair Cook 'gutted' after being replaced by Eoin Morgan

Alastair Cook has said he is "gutted" to be left out of England's World Cup squad after Eoin Morgan was confirmed as the new one-day captain.

Cook, 29, has been dropped from the 15-man squad to play matches in Australia next month and the World Cup.......

England selector James Whitaker confirmed that Cook's lack of runs had prompted the decision to remove him as captain.

"Having reviewed the recent series against Sri Lanka, we came to the conclusion that there was no place for Alastair Cook amongst our strongest 15 one-day players," said Whitaker.

Yeah, Morgan got the nod. Hoping they keep Cook in the squad though so he can get back to what he does best, though yeah, he's more a Test player.

Alastair Cook has said he is "gutted" to be left out of England's World Cup squad after Eoin Morgan was confirmed as the new one-day captain.

Cook, 29, has been dropped from the 15-man squad to play matches in Australia next month and the World Cup.......

England selector James Whitaker confirmed that Cook's lack of runs had prompted the decision to remove him as captain.

"Having reviewed the recent series against Sri Lanka, we came to the conclusion that there was no place for Alastair Cook amongst our strongest 15 one-day players," said Whitaker.

Carer ODI strike rate of 77.

Michael Clarke might be in a similar boat. About the same strike rate and not really in ODI form

Carer ODI strike rate of 77.

Michael Clarke might be in a similar boat. About the same strike rate and not really in ODI form

I still think of Clarke as a test player although he was quite valuable when a few years

ago when the average scores were lower.

I had a quick look at cric info and for the last 2 years he's averaged 37 with a SR of 80.

They're decent figures but nothing special. If he does get fit, I hope he just concentrates

on test match cricket,

Prior to 2014 Cook's record as ODI captain, not counting no results, was 30 wins from 53 games, with one tie; a win rate of 56.6%. But in 2014 it's 6 wins from 14 games; the win rate down to 42.8% .

But I, again, find myself agreeing with Aggers; it's not so much Cook's record as captain that has led to this decision; it's his own personal form.

Alastair Cook: England right to replace ODI captain

Though he was able to reverse both his own fortunes and those of his team in the five-day game, his position as leader of the one-day side is a different matter.

Even those who were calling for Cook to stand down as Test skipper would probably have conceded that he was worth his place in the team, but that is simply not the case in one-day cricket.

And that is what this decision boils down to. Even though England's results in one-day cricket have been relatively poor, Cook has been removed because of his dismal form, with an average of 27.52 in his last 20 matches telling its own story.

I hope that he will come to see this as an opportunity to concentrate on his test carrer, and that next August he will be holding a certain little urn aloft at The Oval.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!!

SA smashing WI

De villiers 100 of 31 balls new world recordblink.png

Amla closing in on 150 ...

SA 396-1

3 over remaining

100 off 31? whew!

I'll have to catch that.

Do it ,it was amazing .He come in in the 39th over ,said to Amla something like "I'm gonna have a look the 1st few overs" then smashed 24 in his 1st over .16 6's in total (WR).Out in the 50th over on 149 off 44 balls.

I'm not sure if the card system needs to be in place, but I'm sure something

needs to be done about Warner. The guy is a first class tool who is an embarrasment .

Like Crowe says, fines are not the answer. Most of these blokes are millionaires.

I expect we will be hearing more of his latest outburst.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8948692

Martin Crowe - Why cricket needs yellow and red cards

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/821891.html

"Warner can play, but he is the most juvenile cricketer I have seen on a cricket field. I don't care how good he is:

if he continues to show all those watching that he doesn't care, he must be removed, either by Cricket Australia or definitely by the world governing body."

needs to be done about Warner. The guy is a first class tool who is an embarrasment .

Like Crowe says, fines are not the answer. Most of these blokes are millionaires.

"Warner can play, but he is the most juvenile cricketer I have seen on a cricket field. I don't care how good he is:

if he continues to show all those watching that he doesn't care, he must be removed, either by Cricket Australia or definitely by the world governing body."

Warner is a clown but the Indian players are giving it back these days. Virat Kohli likes to stir things up too.

If you can, watch the highlights of De Villiers 140+ world record. He did some outrageous batting. Fox had them a few days back

Warner is a clown but the Indian players are giving it back these days. Virat Kohli likes to stir things up too.

If you can, watch the highlights of De Villiers 140+ world record. He did some outrageous batting. Fox had them a few days back

I agree with you about Kohli, he's very agressive also.

Warner goes at people like a mad dog. It's a pity that Smith is an inexperienced captain and

Bailey as well to a lesser degree. I can't imgaine him getting away with it under someone

like a Tubby Taylor.

Sometimes, I just wish Warner would let his bat do the talking.

Just curious with everyone's plan of attack of watching the World Cup over here? I always use the free streaming sites of Crictime, Webcric, etc however, with this being such a major event I would like something more solid and reliable. Can anyone recommend a paid streaming service with decent, reliable picture quality? Obviously a bar is always an option, but I would prefer to watch the majority of the tournament at home.

Cheers

Just curious with everyone's plan of attack of watching the World Cup over here? I always use the free streaming sites of Crictime, Webcric, etc however, with this being such a major event I would like something more solid and reliable. Can anyone recommend a paid streaming service with decent, reliable picture quality? Obviously a bar is always an option, but I would prefer to watch the majority of the tournament at home.

Cheers

I subscribe to ilikehd.com.

You can buy packages from as little as 40 Baht.

I buy "True Money" at the 7/11's and pay 350 Baht for a months

worth of viewing.

They lost the Sky channels for a week or so a while ago but other than that,

they are a really inexpensive great option for me.

I have streamed some of the sites you mention with various degrees of success.

One of the good things about ilikehd is that the cricket is broadcast in hd.

Just watched the Perth Scorchers win a semi-final in last nights Big Bash.

Just go and buy 50 Baht' s worth and give the ODI today a try.

Cheers

worth of viewing.

I checked out the website and it's like having True Visions plus much more for a fifth of the price! The array of sports channels (which is all I care about) is very impressive. I think I will give it a test run with the ODI Final on Sunday. Would the cricket most likely be on one of the Sky Sports channels?

Cheers

worth of viewing.

I checked out the website and it's like having True Visions plus much more for a fifth of the price! The array of sports channels (which is all I care about) is very impressive. I think I will give it a test run with the ODI Final on Sunday. Would the cricket most likely be on one of the Sky Sports channels?

It's always on one of the Sky channels, usually Sky 2 but sometimes 1 or 3 as well.

It depends on what other games are being played at the same time.

Quite often I will check here and it will show you who is broadcasting the game.

Like today it's Sky 2.

http://www.getyourfixtures.com/all/now/liveevents/cricket/anyCompetition

Cheers

worth of viewing.

It's always on one of the Sky channels, usually Sky 2 but sometimes 1 or 3 as well.

It depends on what other games are being played at the same time.

Quite often I will check here and it will show you who is broadcasting the game.

Like today it's Sky 2.

http://www.getyourfixtures.com/all/now/liveevents/cricket/anyCompetition

Thanks for the heads up on ilikeHD. It's a hell of bargin for 350B! Enjoying the ODI Final right now. World Cup & any other cricket viewing is sorted for me as well. Not to mention all the other sports channels & events that are also available. Nice one!

Cheers

Why are the Australian commentators going on about new movies on the cinema . New tv packages whilst the cricket should be commented on. Really losing respect for you guys. Talk cricket like you used to.

Interesting that two of of the commentators said they were enjoying 'Better Call Saul' which hasn't been released yet

Archived