Cricket International Series & General Chat

Australian sledging personal: AB De Villiers

HARARE South African captain AB de Villiers says Australia's sledging cricketers can't expect the Proteas to want to be mates with them off the field.

De Villiers admits there was "lots of personal stuff" said by Michael Clarke's side in their fiery Test series won 2-1 by Australia earlier this year, and some players in the South African squad weren't impressed.

When told Clarke had personally apologised for some of his heated on-field comments in the aftermath to the epic third Test in Cape Town, de Villiers quipped: "I didn't know about that, but apology accepted."

However he went on to indicate that the 'what happens on the field stays on the field' code so often trotted out by sportsmen doesn't necessarily apply when it comes to South Africa's attitude towards the current Australian side.

It's understood only one South African player ventured into the Australian dressing rooms after the Cape Town Test to partake in the customary beer with the opposition at the end of a hard-fought series.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-sledging-personal-ab-de-villiers-20140827-108u1n.html

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very harsh!!

Zimbabwe's Tinashe Panyangara sacked for sharing Mitchell Johnson video with teammates

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/zimbabwes-tinashe-panyangara-sacked-for-sharing-mitchell-johnson-video-with-teammates-20140827-10997e.html#ixzz3Bdsb6XyI

I read that, difficult to believe.

I guess the Zimbabwe cricket association is still in disarray

I said ages ago Cook isn't a great one day player.

I still think England are making a mistake with him, Bell and Co.

They're picking a test side with a few changes IMO.

Swann repeats his call for Cook to quit

http://www.gocricket.com/news/England-vs-India-2014-Graeme-Swann-repeats-his-call-for-Cook-ouster/articleshow/41179510.cms

It seems Cookie is still a bit touchy with the media.

Alastair Cook says Graeme Swann a 'so-called friend' after criticism

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/28960313

As discussed previously BookMan. Cook should stop worrying about the media

and concentrate on his game and side.

Boycott tells Cook to stop getting in a spin over critics

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24869876/boycott-tells-cook-to-stop-getting-in-a-spin-over-critics/

England Captaincy is a tough gig, more so when you have 20 ex Captains in the media.

Cook isn't handling it very well at all

The Aussie's are in big trouble again being 4/154 off 36 overs

on what look's like a good pitch for batting.

Can someone tell me why the most over-rated and overpaid

cricketer (Maxwell) in Australia batted at 4 behind Bailey?

Where do you think the two of them should be batting?

I meant Maxwell batting in front of Bailey.

I think if Warner, Watson and Clarke play,

there won't be room for both of them.

I don't think Maxwell should be batting in front of Bailey

as he's more of a finisher I think. In this team, I'd swap

them around.

Ideally with Clarke and Watson back, Maxwell should bat

at 6 methinks.

Edit: Keep an eye on young WA boy Mitch Marsh.

Just scored 31 off his last 9 balls including 20 off a

Steyn over. he's quite a sharp bowler as well.

them around.

at 6 methinks.

Whoa, that is good scoring for a one day match

7/282.

them around.

at 6 methinks.

Whoa, that is good scoring for a one day match

Yep, I watched him in a few under 16 games

about six years ago where he just destroyed them.

Finished with 86 NO off 51 including 5 fours and

7 sixes.

he can hit a long ball.

Aussie's at least have something to bowl at 7/282.

Yep, I watched him in a few under 16 games

about six years ago where he just destroyed them.

Finished with 86 NO off 51 including 5 fours and

7 sixes.

he can hit a long ball.

Aussie's at least have something to bowl at 7/282.

I'll have to catch up with the highlights from him for the game

Here are some of Mitch Marsh's highlights from the game

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/mitchell-marsh-spearheads-62run-australian-win-over-south-africa-in-oneday-triseries-final/story-fn2mcu3x-1227045339036

The OTHER Mitch, Mitchell Johnson, took two wickets bowled. Just watching those deliveries will send a tingle of fear up the English

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/mitchell-marsh-spearheads-62run-australian-win-over-south-africa-in-oneday-triseries-final/story-fn2mcu3x-1227045339036

The OTHER Mitch, Mitchell Johnson, took two wickets bowled. Just watching those deliveries will send a tingle of fear up the English

Video wouldn't open for some reason but thanks anyway.

I streamed the last 3 over of Oz batting.

Good win by the boys.

Woke up this morning to see England beaten by 9 wickets

so a good start to the daytongue.png

Good win by the boys.

if you have an ad blocking program you might need to disable that foxsports..or it could be a region issue, in which case you could use the add on http://hola.org/

Good win by the boys.

if you have an ad blocking program you might need to disable that foxsports..or it could be a region issue, in which case you could use the add on http://hola.org/

I'm pretty sure it's a regional thing.

Thanks for the link.

Mitchell Johnson breaks Ryan McLaren's arm

HARARE: It wasn't Jimmy Anderson, but Australian destroyer Mitchell Johnson has broken the arm of an opponent.

Ryan McLaren, the South African allrounder who is all too familiar with Johnson's thunderbolts, will miss the rest of the one-day tri-series in Harare after suffering a hairline fracture in his forearm during Tuesday's loss to Australia.

Back in February's first Test against the Proteas at Centurion, Johnson struck McLaren in the side of the helmet with a vicious blow which left the 31-year-old bleeding from the ear.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/mitchell-johnson-breaks-ryan-mclarens-arm-20140904-10c5p7.html

India disgraced themselves by not competing

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/773553.html

7by7, as I haven't seen the series, I would be interested to hear

your opinion on Chappelli's article.

Sorry, just seen the above.

Pretty spot on, I think.

Despite his sterling efforts with the bat when wickets were tumbling all around him, some of Dhoni's decisions in the field seemed inexplicable.

Meanwhile, England finally win an ODI.

India v England: Joe Root's ton sets up hosts' win in fifth ODI

Very interesting article, which I think sums up England's ODI problems perfectly; Where are England going wrong in one-day international cricket?

Essentially, England's focus has always been on Test cricket. That is where most of the resource is directed. One-day series are a necessary add-on to satisfy TV paymasters and bring in cash.

Usually the England one-day team is a sort of trial zone for future Test players, to see if they can handle the extra demands of being an international sportsman.

Exactly, the England ODI teams usually consist of established Test players and those being considered for the Test team.

As, I think, Michael Vaughan said on TMS, there are plenty of English players in county cricket who excel at the one day game, but are not considered for the England ODI team as they are not considered good enough for Test cricket.

These days, ODIs and Tests are completely different; horses for courses should be the rule; and that includes the captain.

Very interesting article, which I think sums up England's ODI problems perfectly; Where are England going wrong in one-day international cricket?

Essentially, England's focus has always been on Test cricket. That is where most of the resource is directed. One-day series are a necessary add-on to satisfy TV paymasters and bring in cash.

Usually the England one-day team is a sort of trial zone for future Test players, to see if they can handle the extra demands of being an international sportsman.

Exactly, the England ODI teams usually consist of established Test players and those being considered for the Test team.

As, I think, Michael Vaughan said on TMS, there are plenty of English players in county cricket who excel at the one day game, but are not considered for the England ODI team as they are not considered good enough for Test cricket.

These days, ODIs and Tests are completely different; horses for courses should be the rule; and that includes the captain.

I wasn't aware England still kept its one day team primarily the same as its test match team

I wasn't aware England still kept its one day team primarily the same as its test match team

Mate

Just have a loot at England's top 5.

Cook, Balance, Root, Bell etc. All test match

cricketers who are never going to scare anyone.

The average one day score now is about 275 and England's

bats have strike rates in the seventies.

IMO, they need to look at county players who can belt it. Guys like

Warner, Marsh, Finch etc.

Speaking of one day cricket.

Australia was hammered in the One day final against South Africa.

Australia scored 218 and South Africa ran that down in the 4oth over.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/dale-steyn-i-may-never-forgive-michael-clarke-20140907-3f0u1.html

Terrible effort by the boys.

Need Warner, Clarke and Watson back asap.

Glenn Maxwell selected in Test squad due to ‘X factor’, Steve O’Keefe picked on form

GLENN Maxwell has been gifted another Test squad place, with chairman of selectors Rod Marsh admitting the destructive all-rounder had been chosen as the “X factor” for next month’s tour against Pakistan in the UAE.

While uncapped NSW spinner Steve O’Keefe was forced to claim a season-high 41 wickets in the Sheffield Shield last summer before being awarded a place in the 15-man squad, Maxwell has been chosen on what he might do.

“He’s a bloke with immense ability who hasn’t done enough probably to warrant selection in the Test side but he’s the X factor,” Marsh said on Monday after announcing Test, one-day and Twenty20 squads.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/glenn-maxwell-selected-in-test-squad-due-to-x-factor-steve-okeefe-picked-on-form/story-fni2usfi-1227051719652

Archived