Citizenship? Dual nationality UK Thai.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Is the UK style birth certificate required for a half Thai-half UK baby of 7 months old required absolutely for processing and obtaining UK nationality

for my daughter? or is her Thai birth certificate, Translated to English enough to obtain her full first UK passport (VFS global at HMPO in Bangkok

have, indicated that a colour copy of her Thai birth certificate and translated is enough).

Is this true? and is that all that is required (as well as my documents and copies of them) for my daughter to obtain a her first full UK passport? and thus

UK nationality and UK citizenship?

What use is a UK style birth certificate? (she was born in Thailand)

weighing up things (9000 Bahts for UK style birth certificate and about 3,000 for passport) I am thinking..perhaps save 9,000 Bahts

if the Birth Certificate (UK style) is not neccessary or an absolute requirement.

What benefits are there to having a UK style birth certificate.

Thanks in advance

Only the Thai birth certificate is needed.

Looking at these guidance notes may help. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230586/OS_Guidance_Notes_08.13.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309169/OS_Guidance_Gp2.PDF

Link above I found a bit better. Appears the Thai birth certificate, a colour copy of and translation of that and her mothers birth certificate, translated and colour copy also as well as fathers UK birth certificate and UK passport copies and originals..

few questions, answers should be obvious, I am just seeking confirmation.

1) Will My daughter once she recieves her first full UK passport have obtained UK nationality and/or UK citizenship?

2) if so, what value (use or advantage) is there in obtaining a UK style birth certificate from the Embassy? I mean costs around 8 or 9000 Bahts where as

a Passport is around 4,000 Bahts.

Thanks in advance.

Link above I found a bit better. Appears the Thai birth certificate, a colour copy of and translation of that a

Also have the translation verified by MFA (ministry of Foreign Affairs).

Most translation companies provide this service for a fee.

• Like 1

Link above I found a bit better. Appears the Thai birth certificate, a colour copy of and translation of that a

Also have the translation verified by MFA (ministry of Foreign Affairs).

Most translation companies provide this service for a fee.

In the UK the translator usually has to be approved by the Foreign and commonwealth office (may well have been replaced by MFA).

There are approved translation companies around the corner from the VFS passport office in Wattana district.

ew questions, answers should be obvious, I am just seeking confirmation.

1) Will My daughter once she recieves her first full UK passport have obtained UK nationality and/or UK citizenship?

2) if so, what value (use or advantage) is there in obtaining a UK style birth certificate from the Embassy? I mean costs around 8 or 9000 Bahts where as

a Passport is around 4,000 Bahts.

Thanks in advance.

1. Your child has UK nationality from birth. The passport will be proof of that.

2. Not sure of all the benefits of getting the UK birth registration. But it probably can save some paper work later. Even the passport application requires less paperwork if you have it.

• Like 1

1. Your child has UK nationality from birth. The passport will be proof of that.

2. Not sure of all the benefits of getting the UK birth registration. But it probably can save some paper work later. Even the passport application requires less paperwork if you have it.

Thanks Joe.

2) appears to be so as per photographic proof of a 7 month old.

For photographic identity for first time passport applications...

"Please provide one of the following:

• your British passport (if you are renewing)
• non-British uncancelled passport
• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)
• driving licence
• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.
all of the above are pretty void with the exception of non-British uncancelled passport. Meaning to provide photographic ID of my 7 month old daughter
I will have to process her Thai Passport first as..no Id card, no Driving licence and no previous British passport.
Begs the question how does a UK national in the UK prove the identity photographically of their 7 month old child!
Thanks again Joe, Defo owe you a beer or two if/when I am in Udon or you in Roi Et!

Thanks Ubon Joe,

1) if processed, yes.

2) application for passport only requires colour copy of Thai birth certificate translated by an approved translator. Subsequent renewals do not require birth certificate but the actual copy of the passport.

I am not seeing any benefit of processing a UK style birth certificate other than spending 9000 Bahts to get it! If anyone has shed some light on that matter, feel free to do so.