2000 baht compensation for 1.7 mil baht worth of lost lotto tickets

webfact

1.7 Mil Baht Worth of Lotto Tickets 'Lost In The Mail'
By Khaosod English

14037746601403774689l.jpg
Fortune seekers buy lottery tickets from a vendor in Kanchanaburi province, 12 June 2014 [MATICHON].

BANGKOK — Thailand’s postal service will compensate the Governmental Lottery Office (GLO) a meager sum of 2,000 baht for losing 1.7 million baht worth of lottery tickets in the mail.

"Its much less than the actual damage," complained Kunthira Tantirangsi, deputy director of the GLO.

The loss occurred on 5 June when a mail truck carrying 16 bundles of lottery tickets in Ayutthaya province lost two packages of lotteries en route to its destination. The truck was driven by an employee of the state-owned Thailand Post who was accompanied by a GLO official.

The pair told police they realised on their way home that the back of the truck had been open. The two missing bundles contained a total of 42,800 lottery tickets, which have seen been nullified by the GLO.

The GLO will only be given 2,000 baht for the damages because Thailand’s postal service allows a maximum compensation of 1,000 baht per lost package, Ms. Kunthira said.

She said the GLO did not apply for insurance because it would have greatly raised the price of transportation. She added that said no problem has ever occurred over the 30 years that GLO has been using Thailand Post.

"The GLO would like to ask Thailand Post to consider additional help for us," Ms. Kunthira said, adding that the GLO is also planning to insure all of its lottery packages from now on.

The police say they are investigating incident. No suspect has been charged of any crime in connection with the missing lottery tickets so far.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1403774660

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-06-26

The tickets were canceled. No loss incurred, non story.

sure there is a loss ..who paid for the paper, the printing, the box they were put in and of course the idiotic thailand post delivery fee + anyone who has bought numbered hologrammes (48,000) will tell you the price really adds up

Thailand post is a wonderful 1960's type buisness ...only problem its now 2014

Edited by terryp

There is a loss to both lottery vendors and the govt because of perception.

Although the govt has said the lost ticket numbers have been cancelled, lottery tickets sales are down because a lot of people feel they may still end up buying one of the cancelled tickets therefore just wasting their 100 to 110 baht investment in the ticket. And fewer ticket sales means lower revenue for the govt and the vendors. I saw two TV news reports last night where vendors where complaining about the lost tickets lowering their sales because many people felt the tickets were indeed being sold "regardless of what the govt says"....that is, the bad guys have already resold the tickets....the tickets are in the system being sold by vendors. I expect what ever period the lost tickets covered will cause reduce sales for vendors and revenue for the govt. The vendors are probably the biggest losers since they may end up with more unsold tickets.

GLO didn't insure the shipment so why should they get more compensation for the lost packages than anyone else gets. Should they get additional compensation for being "cheap and dumb"?

• Like 1

Funny that, as a woman came into the wife's shop when I was there yesterday morning. She wasn't an official ticket seller, she just held the tickets fanned out in her hand like a deck of cards.

GLO didn't insure the shipment so why should they get more compensation for the lost packages than anyone else gets. Should they get additional compensation for being "cheap and dumb"?

I do find the 1000B max compo to be very low though, but I do agree with you.

The tickets were canceled. No loss incurred, non story.

Of course there was a loss, if the tickets had reached their destination they would have netted 1.7 mollion Thb.

I pay 100 baht a ticket so actual sales value would 4,280,000?

The Government Lottery Office has been mired in skullduggery ever since its inception decades ago. This latest story is just a new twist.

Remember kids the lottery is just "optional tax for suckers". And that is even if it was run honestly.

As it is now, it is "optional Mercedes for GLO senior officials and their partner politicians".

• Like 1

the postman, your friendly neighboorhood THIEF... many times my mail from abroad does not arrive

many times, mail from other people end up in my letter box... if nearby, i bring them

but i don't think other people do the same