Coffee

intel4004

I've been told the best place to get coffee beans is Hillkoff house of coffee. Anyone been there?

What I've noticed in the short time I've been here is coffee works out maybe more expensive than what I used to pay at Costa's back home. I used to order the Massimo Latte as a takeaway, about 560ml or a pint of coffee in old money, 20 fluid oz if your American. Here you only seem to get one size.

Okay haven't been to many coffee places here but are there places where you can order large sizes, drink in or take out. I'm trying to avoid going to Starbucks btw!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know your various reasons for avoiding Starbucks...but I will say the quality of the coffee is most excellent and I have spoken to wholesale coffee "buyers" in various regions of the World and they all give SBUX high marks on their beans.

Of note, the beans here are not over-roasted like they are at the US stores. The reason for this is that the US now makes so many types of syrupy drinks that a milder coffee roast flavor would be completely overwhelmed by the additions. (if you look at the typical coffee purchase stateside, it looks more like a desert drink than a coffee--and most likely a contributor to American obesity.)

I don't know your various reasons for avoiding Starbucks...but I will say the quality of the coffee is most excellent and I have spoken to wholesale coffee "buyers" in various regions of the World and they all give SBUX high marks on their beans.

Of note, the beans here are not over-roasted like they are at the US stores. The reason for this is that the US now makes so many types of syrupy drinks that a milder coffee roast flavor would be completely overwhelmed by the additions. (if you look at the typical coffee purchase stateside, it looks more like a desert drink than a coffee--and most likely a contributor to American obesity.)

There was a documentary on fast food I saw last year. They compared a big mac to a coffee from SB. The highest calorie coffee in SB is 750 Calories - 750! Big Mac and Fries (large) is something like 550 (still high but not quite) - even Pizza Hut couldn't outdo SB from their standard menu. Be better off drinking a glass of Maple Syrup!

I get my coffee beans from Macros - lots of choice (I actually prefer their own medium roast Arabica - but I prefer to double espresso a weaker coffee to avoid the bitterness :)). YOK (the bakery shop on the Super Highway opposite the old Carre Four ) also does a fair selection of beans from up country growers.

I often purchase my beans at Hillkoff, I prefer the City Blend which they describe as Moca which is not chocolate flavored but just the coffee part for making it. As for having a cup of coffee there it's nothing special, basically a cup of coffee made by someone not very well versed in the art of being a barrista in basically their parking lot. For a real good cup go to Risto8to http://www.ristr8to-coffee-chiangmai.com

Mc Donald's, best coffee around, not sure what beans they use.Coffee Villa a close second and they provide free bags of grounds for your plants.

We desperately needed a new coffee thread to take our minds off the political situation.

Edited by Thailand

Mc Donald's, best coffee around, not sure what beans they use.Coffee Villa a close second and they provide free bags of grounds for your plants.

We desperately needed a new coffee thread to take our minds off the political situation.

Agreed. Wish we could include Bangkok ;-)

duang dee hill tribe ground or beans you wont get better.tell.no.053-219361 mob.0816029180 they have a shop in cm.

Found this but no luck locking down the location

Okay got this far....

Maneenoparat Road, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000.................so Duang Dee House is somewhere on that street.

duang dee hill tribe ground or beans you wont get better.tell.no.053-219361 mob.0816029180 they have a shop in cm.

Rimping supermarkets sell DuanDee in 250 & 500gm packs

Edited by Maybole

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for whole beans or ground, you might check out YOK on Hwy 11, across from Makro. Good prices and quality.

Believe it or not haven't yet been to Hillkoff house of coffee. Am determined to get there though :)

If you are looking for whole beans or ground, you might check out YOK on Hwy 11, across from Makro. Good prices and quality.

Albert and his lovely wife supply YOK with their coffee beans, they even roast them at their Hang Dong coffee shop, the roasting oven is like a museum time piece and worth a look in itself.

While not quite as good as Akha Ama they are still streets ahead of Starbucks, Wawee, Doi Tung, etc.

http://www.alti-coffee.com

Best coffee in Thailand, without a doubt is Akha Ama.

As of a few weeks ago it was 500 baht per kilo.

http://www.akhaama.com/products

Which of their 4 do you favour - the Italian Blend looks good? And is it only available at their cafe in Chang Puak.?

Thanks

Full city roast is my fave, but Italian blend is great too. Perhaps sample 100gms of each to start with, they can do that for you.

The Chang Puak cafe is the only place I get it from.

Which of their 4 do you favour - the Italian Blend looks good? And is it only available at their cafe in Chang Puak.?

Thanks

Full city roast is my fave, but Italian blend is great too. Perhaps sample 100gms of each to start with, they can do that for you.

Many thanks for the heads-up.

Tracked the cafe down today and tried an espresso shakerato made with their City Roast. Not special but maybe I ordered the wrong thing. Bakery expensive and so-so

. They offer 6 bean varieties in the cafe (only 4 on their website) but they wouldnt sell me 100gm of each. I passed on their Ponlamai as they described it as sour (!) but bought the Peaberry, Full Roast and Italian Cafe Blend. So I wont need to buy more beans for a while and look forward to sampling these three.

Thanks again

Thanks

Many thanks for the heads-up.

Tracked the cafe down today and tried an espresso shakerato made with their City Roast. Not special but maybe I ordered the wrong thing. Bakery expensive and so-so

. They offer 6 bean varieties in the cafe (only 4 on their website) but they wouldnt sell me 100gm of each. I passed on their Ponlamai as they described it as sour (!) but bought the Peaberry, Full Roast and Italian Cafe Blend. So I wont need to buy more beans for a while and look forward to sampling these three.

Thanks again

I never mentioned their bakery, i don't stop there long enough. I order my coffee that's it.

Rimping supermarkets sell DuanDee in 250 & 500gm packs

but they charge something like 30% more than if you buy it direct. 1 kg minimum at Duang Dee.

Tried most of the suggestions often touted here but Akha Ama head and shoulders above imho. Just bought some Alti peaberry from Yok, and its very nice too but expensive.

Better to get it direct from Alti in Hang Dong. Very nice shop and gardens to have some delicious home made apple pie and whipped cream with a coffee while you wait (not that you will wait long, bags of coffee pre packed).

The peaberry is my favourite too.

But....Akha Ama still the top of the pops by far, hard to beat.