Russian Rented Motorbike Rampage in South Pattaya

webfact

"He decided to demonstrate his biking skills to his friends"

The guy is a pro and I bet his mates are still pissing themselves laughing.

They need to make it law that you can't hire a bike unless you have a motorcycle licence.

license doesnt prevent stupid

But pothole can cheesy.gif

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that I mean Z800 and Z1000.

The little ones (Ninja's 250 / 300 etc) are there for those without the cash and masculinity.

Bullshit they still go as fast

Edited by fabphil

Thailand is one of very few countries in the world where you can rent a superbike, the only problem with that is that you don't need a licence or to even know how to ride a motorbike.

Putting a young man who only has experience of smaller bikes on a superbike is a recipie for disaster. It's actually surprising there isn't more carnage than there is.

Don't know much about bikes, do you? From the photos, the wrecked Ninja could be anything from a 250cc to a 650cc, neither which fall into the classification of "super bike". 250-300cc are classified as "quarter liters". A 650cc falls into the class of "half liter". You have to have 1,000cc or better to be considered a "full liter" bike, and at least 1,500 cc to be considered a "super bike". And if you knew anything about Russia, you would know that most bike sold there are 500cc or bigger. Unlike S.E. Asia, they seldom do the "scooter" type of bike, with 250-300cc being considered as "beginner bikes".

Please try to have some knowledge of a subject matter before you expound on it.

You learn something everyday, dont you! Been riding bikes, 150cc to 1500cc, for over fifty years and never came across those tallies before! I currently have more than a "full liter" bike, well I never!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand is one of very few countries in the world where you can rent a superbike, the only problem with that is that you don't need a licence or to even know how to ride a motorbike.

Putting a young man who only has experience of smaller bikes on a superbike is a recipie for disaster. It's actually surprising there isn't more carnage than there is.

Don't know much about bikes, do you? From the photos, the wrecked Ninja could be anything from a 250cc to a 650cc, neither which fall into the classification of "super bike". 250-300cc are classified as "quarter liters". A 650cc falls into the class of "half liter". You have to have 1,000cc or better to be considered a "full liter" bike, and at least 1,500 cc to be considered a "super bike". And if you knew anything about Russia, you would know that most bike sold there are 500cc or bigger. Unlike S.E. Asia, they seldom do the "scooter" type of bike, with 250-300cc being considered as "beginner bikes".

The Ninja on the photo is a 650 CC, I have one myself, top speed around 220 km/h, a disaster for any intoxicated driver, this guy is lucky to be alive.

They need to make it law that you can't hire a bike unless you have a motorcycle licence.

Oh yes. Let's crack down on everybody for the outrageous behavior of one pinheaded Russian... NOT a good reason to eliminate the industry, which is what this completely over-the-top suggestion would effectively do. Banning the offender for life from ever operating one again in Thailand might be a better one. Perhaps in view of this dumb cluck's utter recklessness (which is the cause factor here; not "inexperience"...), he should be ordered to pay more than just the injured guy's medical expenses and for the damage to the other vehicles.

'Hope they tested this idiot for blood alcohol, and charged him with DUI if above the limit.

By that I mean Z800 and Z1000.

The little ones (Ninja's 250 / 300 etc) are there for those without the cash and masculinity.

Bullshit they still go as fast

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh please, no more.

What a complete croc of BS, i have been riding big bikes all my life and have never heard this BS before.

A superbike is simply defined in the Oxford dictionary as "A high-performance motorcycle". which makes perfect sense, as any motorcycle can be modified/tuned to become a high performance machine.

So by your dopey definition, you don't class a Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R ABS as as superbike, as it falls 200cc short!!!

Best liter laugh i have had in ages.cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 2

Clearly a case of "hole" to blame

No, a bike rider esp in a Third World country has to expect potholes and be prepared to deal with them, otherwise don't ride. Any of us who've been riding in PTY for years have hit a few. If you're not drunk or speeding (or just a klutz who shouldn't be on a bike, period) you come out OK.

Funny we didn't hear any other reports of this particular pothole causing accidents--and that's a very busy soi. I travel down it frequently w/o mishap. It didn't cause other drivers to "loose" (gotta love TV poster spelling) control and wreck a lot of other bikes and break somebody's leg, now did it?

That he was going the wrong way on a one-way already tells you about his driving skills and judgment. He already had to dodge traffic going in the opposite direction. The mistake was probably quickly obvious--and didn't it call for even greater caution? Obviously he didn't get the message.

And then there was the main cause: speeding, i.e, driver misjudgment. Duh. If it wasn't hitting a pothole, probably been something else. "Cruisin' for a bruisin'." Lesson learned, we hope.

That's Russian!

No, coulda been any nationality. Seen bad or dangerous driving from all of 'em. Some of the worst are just the old farang farts, usually 'Mercan, Brit, or German.

Sometimes going by Big C on 2nd Rd I think of the two young Brits who died there some years ago, speeding on a big bike late at night, hitting the curb, and bouncing into a pole.

But let me not further interrupt the critical discussion over the term "super bike." We're blessed with so many experts here. ;) Thais, now, call a Honda Phantom a "chopper."

• Like 1

Russians dont have the monopoly on being unable to ride large bikes. I seem to remember at least one German and one American and one Brit killing themselves fairly spectacularly on large bikes here over last year. And of course loads more people of various nationalities, including Thais, have died or maimed themselves here on large and small bikes over the same time period. Personally I think all motorbikes should be banned, especially the rental ones.

Dont quite see how this event qualifies as a "rampage" though.

• Like 1

Russians dont have the monopoly on being unable to ride large bikes. I seem to remember at least one German and one American and one Brit killing themselves fairly spectacularly on large bikes here over last year. And of course loads more people of various nationalities, including Thais, have died or maimed themselves here on large and small bikes over the same time period. Personally I think all motorbikes should be banned, especially the rental ones.

Dont quite see how this event qualifies as a "rampage" though.

A speed exhibition up Soi Yamato (or most any of the sois that run between Beach Road & 2nd Road, for that matter)? 'Pretty much fits MY definition of "rampage"! It doesn't GET much more reckless than that.

Another definition getting satisfied here: "kneejerk". The idea of banning all motorbikes 'cause of a few cretins like this...

We live in a world now that demands the liberties of everyone be curtailed because we can't just stand to appropriately deal with those who flout the rules along with everyone else's rights. All in the name of "tolerance". This guy should pay dearly for the injuries and damage he caused, not to mention the reckless endangerment he's guilty of; and THEN be banned from operating a motorbike for life. (And if he then flouts THAT prohibition >> serious jail time...) No one else did anything wrong; no one else need be punished. Simple.

We live in a world now that demands the liberties of everyone be curtailed because we can't just stand to appropriately deal with those who flout the rules along with everyone else's rights. All in the name of "tolerance". This guy should pay dearly for the injuries and damage he caused, not to mention the reckless endangerment he's guilty of; and THEN be banned from operating a motorbike for life. (And if he then flouts THAT prohibition >> serious jail time...) No one else did anything wrong; no one else need be punished. Simple.

Nice idea, but how would that work in practice for tourists? Hence my suggestion that rental bikes especially should be banned outright.

I do also think that non-rental bikes should be banned for the protection of their riders (many of whom here appear to have no idea at all about safe driving practices) but it's true that as a pick-up driver I don't run a huge risk of being injured by a motorcyclist, and so if people care to put themselves in danger on them it's no skin off my nose (literally).

Agree sixpack.

A Honda Phantom ain't a chopper, I would say its a pile of sh#te.

Same as saying a Ninja 250/300 is as fast as a Z1000, oh that was a good one.

Unfortunately, all of them in the hands of the inexperienced or just plain daft can be suicide / killing machines.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Or fix up the roads , so there are no pot holes in the city center?

Na, I vote for more pot holes and less Russians......

Less Russians? so they are much worse then other countries for riding bikes in Pattaya?

No no no !! Not just for riding bikes !! tongue.png

"

Ditto!

"at least 1,500 cc to be considered a "super bike".

WRONG!!

I ride a GSXR1000. It's considered both a litre bike (999cc) AND a superbike.

World Superbikes race bikes are mostly 1000cc(or just under) with the Ducati at 1199cc and the EBR at 1190cc. Ducati and EBR allowed the 200cc advantage (but with some restrictions) due to being only two-cylinder machines,compared to the other 4-cylinder Japanese/Italian bikes.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1

Nice idea, but how would that work in practice for tourists? Hence my suggestion that rental bikes especially should be banned outright.

I do also think that non-rental bikes should be banned for the protection of their riders (many of whom here appear to have no idea at all about safe driving practices) but it's true that as a pick-up driver I don't run a huge risk of being injured by a motorcyclist, and so if people care to put themselves in danger on them it's no skin off my nose (literally).

I just don't think an outright ban is gonna' happen. I never rent them, and agree strongly that many renters in the tourist areas ride them carelessly, but I just don't think Thailand's gonna' kill off that business. It's part of the shtick.

Focusing on the actual offender though: the suggestion is that a visitor who's involved in something as serious as this gets his name (& other identifying info) put on a list by police and issued a document telling him he's banned for life from ever operating a motorbike again, with a warning included on the document that tells him if he's ever caught operating a motorbike again, it's a jailable offense and will result in deportation and blacklisting as well. These offenders also pay the administrative fees necessary to maintain such a reporting system. In practice, I realize the list won't usually get checked except hopefully in cases of accident or arrest (dui, etc.), but it might raise the stakes and at least make any future incidents much more "expensive", if not terminally so, for the "tourist" involved.

I don't know if Thailand has a "reckless driving" offense on its books or not, but it seems to me that even on a 1st offense, reckless endangerment such as in this case, esp. with injuries to an innocent bystander and significant damage to private property involved, deserves deportation. And if alcohol or drugs were involved, maybe at least a little time in the clink...

Happened to go down Soi Yamato today. I remembered this news report and kept a look out for the infamous pothole.

All I saw was small irregularly-shaped pothole about 8x6x0.5 in. Rolled right over it easily. Only the most drunken, reckless speeding could possibly make that lil' pothole dangerous. As potholes go, what a pussy.

No, I didn't see any recently-filled potholes.

OK

"supersport"=600ccor so engine (Kawasaki had a 636cc ninja that fell in this class);

"super bike"=1000cc (and can be up to 1200cc if a twin in world superbike racing, which is where the name comes from"

"hyper sport"=sport bike with over 1000cc like GSXR1300 and Kawasaki Ninja 1400. Despite powerful engine, not really a racing bike. Very large size and meant primarily for touring.

a ER-6 is not supersport or superbike. I consider it a UJM (universal japanese motorcycle)