early morning coffee shop

kiwitezza

re

McDonald's has good, cheap coffee. It is right by Thapae Gate and open all night.

i dont know about the coffee but if you want to hold a political meeting or take pics inside there its a no no :(

pics taken yesterday !

dave2

ps ... i had went to see if starbucks or burger king had the

same or similar notices up but no !

so why single out mc ds ?

post-42592-0-99555700-1403838852_thumb.j

post-42592-0-24123500-1403838879_thumb.j

• Like 1

In the US, McDonalds has good(weak) cheap coffee from a pot. The coffee in Thai McDonalds(McCafe) is actual espresso type cafe style coffee(and not cheap). Two totally different beasts. Same with Dunkin Doughnuts. Some of my favorite coffee in the states, here its the same as any other cafe.

• Like 1

I lived in the Boston suburb where Dunkin Donuts was from and when I saw that the DD in KSK didn't sell coffee (!!!) I had to FB post if for my homeys to see. Should have just been called Donuts as nutin' to dunk in!

Hey Dave2 maybe the "No Photo" sign was made intentionally for you.

But I love how some of the coffee shops open at 11 am (and others close on the main highway right before the afternoon traffic), I guess it's a good job if you can get it and wonder who they blame when they go out of business after 3 mnths?

I lived in the Boston suburb where Dunkin Donuts was from and when I saw that the DD in KSK didn't sell coffee (!!!) I had to FB post if for my homeys to see. Should have just been called Donuts as nutin' to dunk in!

But I love how some of the coffee shops open at 11 am (and others close on the main highway right before the afternoon traffic), I guess it's a good job if you can get it and wonder who they blame when they go out of business after 3 mnths?

Not quite the same but a new pizza place opened near us a few weeks ago, sent their advertising leaflets around so thought I would give them a try for lunch. 11 am no answer tried it little later and got a Thai gentleman telling me they don't open until the afternoon! Surely people eat pizza at lunchtime or is it just us?

Anyway,I called our usual supplier and we enjoyed our choice 30 minutes later. I won't be calling the new place again.

In the US, McDonalds has good(weak) cheap coffee from a pot. The coffee in Thai McDonalds(McCafe) is actual espresso type cafe style coffee(and not cheap). Two totally different beasts. Same with Dunkin Doughnuts. Some of my favorite coffee in the states, here its the same as any other cafe.

They have cheap regular coffee - I think that it is 30 baht for a small cup - in Thailand as well as the more expensive espresso type drinks. Either one beats Starbucks by a mile on price though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

don't think I've ever seen a coffee shop open at the time of the morning the OP is referring to. i'm only up at that time maybe 2X per year but have never seen a coffee shop open so early. mcdonalds is probably the best bet. i got coffee at mcdonalds the other day for the first time. not bad. 115 Baht for cafe late. little high price wise and was surprised to see so many students in there drinking such expensive coffee.

I had no idea. Might be worth another try.

OP, there are a few places in the Nimman area that are 24hrs. The workspace on the top floor of Maya is 24hr, I believe both Coffee Monster and Tom & Tom are open about 6am.

They have cheap regular coffee - I think that it is 30 baht for a small cup - in Thailand as well as the more expensive espresso type drinks. Either one beats Starbucks by a mile on price though.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not quite the same but a new pizza place opened near us a few weeks ago, sent their advertising leaflets around so thought I would give them a try for lunch. 11 am no answer tried it little later and got a Thai gentleman telling me they don't open until the afternoon! Surely people eat pizza at lunchtime or is it just us?

Anyway,I called our usual supplier and we enjoyed our choice 30 minutes later. I won't be calling the new place again.

Yeah I love to eat out but rather be home at night with the family and find too often that a place I want to try is only doing dinner. Wish my 25 yrs in the restaurant business I could have afforded to only be open such short hours! They must really be successful or ....

re

Hey Dave2 maybe the "No Photo" sign was made intentionally for you

nahhh ... it says no photo etc inside !

i was outside :)

dave2

ps .... the thaphae gate free hugs man on his trike has had

a haircut since yesterday and hes now bald :(.

post-42592-0-43697600-1403869208_thumb.j

It seems that Thai's aren't all that much for early morning breakfasts.I wake up early myself.Theres nothing I would like better

Than go to my nearest coffee shop to take care of my caffeine fix.And the only thing I can do is head on over to the local McDonalds til restaurants open up at around 9.

• Like 1

Nice sweet place (bakery and coffee shop) opens early they also have all butter croisants. Moon muang opposite lucky bar.

For my tastes, their tasty, very inexpensive cheese omelets are a great deal. I have been eating them for more than two decades now.

I've been saying to myself for years, if someone opened a good coffee joint that opened at 5:00am(the time I usually rise when I'm in Chiangmai) they'd make a fortune. Then again maybe I'd be their only customer.laugh.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

don't think I've ever seen a coffee shop open at the time of the morning the OP is referring to. i'm only up at that time maybe 2X per year but have never seen a coffee shop open so early. mcdonalds is probably the best bet. i got coffee at mcdonalds the other day for the first time. not bad. 115 Baht for cafe late. little high price wise and was surprised to see so many students in there drinking such expensive coffee.

Or find a 7 11 that has someplace to sit outside. That is my only option in Sansai. I.m up and at em just before day break so its nice to sit alone, quiet and watch the sun come up and the clouds settle on Doi Suthep mountain

my favorite new coffee places are:

1. (just opened about 2 weeks ago) is inside the mini shopping center on the Super Highway in front of Arcade bus station. can't recall the name (has an Italian ring to it) but it is fantastic. i get the feeling that the very nice owner is a coffee aficionado and not particularly in it for the money alone. i believe he does the roasting. they sell beans, and all kinds of coffee gadgets, although some are priced way OTT. nice people who run it and great coffee. not expensive - around 45-55 Bath for coffee and it beats the pants off the expensive (and terrible tasting coffee) Korean chain in the same shopping center. probably a BKK chain but I believe the only one in C.M. small place with only about 5 tables and already very popular so can be very busy. its near the Super Highway exit . there is a motorcycle shop on the corner and its the 4th? shop up.

2. not new but inside Promenada upstairs right near Dukes. A Swiss company that you can't miss as it's the only coffee shop/travel agency in there! just look for the Swiss flag. really great coffee, not quite as dark a roast as the shop above but also very good coffee and also in the same price range 50-65 Baht.

sorry i'm bad with names of coffee shops are there are hundreds here...

my favorite new coffee places are:

1. (just opened about 2 weeks ago) is inside the mini shopping center on the Super Highway in front of Arcade bus station. can't recall the name (has an Italian ring to it) but it is fantastic. i get the feeling that the very nice owner is a coffee aficionado and not particularly in it for the money alone. i believe he does the roasting. they sell beans, and all kinds of coffee gadgets, although some are priced way OTT. nice people who run it and great coffee. not expensive - around 45-55 Bath for coffee and it beats the pants off the expensive (and terrible tasting coffee) Korean chain in the same shopping center. probably a BKK chain but I believe the only one in C.M. small place with only about 5 tables and already very popular so can be very busy. its near the Super Highway exit . there is a motorcycle shop on the corner and its the 4th? shop up.

2. not new but inside Promenada upstairs right near Dukes. A Swiss company that you can't miss as it's the only coffee shop/travel agency in there! just look for the Swiss flag. really great coffee, not quite as dark a roast as the shop above but also very good coffee and also in the same price range 50-65 Baht.

sorry i'm bad with names of coffee shops are there are hundreds here...

i was wrong about #2, it's a Thai company http://www.amitcoffee.com/index.htm with a Swiss partner but they have Cuban style coffee, Turkish, Brazilian style, doppio, espresso con panna and some other interesting cups of coffee not usually found around here.

• Like 1

If you can wait till 8am I know a great place called The Hideout just behind Wat Chai Sriphum at NE corner of the moat. Not only do they have a good latte, their breakfasts start at 55 baht. They don't call it The Hideout for nothing so you can call this number for directions 08 1960 3889. I have no financial interest in the The Hideout.