Ancient pottery and human skeleton unearthed in Korat

webfact

Ancient pottery and human skeleton unearthed in Nakhon Ratchasima

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 27 June 2014 (NNT) – The most recent discovery of ancient pottery and human skeletons in Nakhon Ratchasima was revealed on Thursday, with the Fine Arts Department expressing the belief that the items were at least 1,500 years old.

The spot of discovery is a rice paddy belonging to a local in Ban Khok Sung in Mu 1 of Khok Sung sub-district, Mueang Nakhon Ratchasima district. The paddy owner stumbled upon the numerous buried artifacts while dredging the top soil for rice growing.

After learning of the finds, the Khok Sung municipality has erected signs banning digging in the area. The provincial Fine Arts Department office was also called in to collect the items, which were initially believed to be at least 1,500 years old.

Meanwhile, locals have sought the Fine Arts Department's permission to take the discovered skeletons to a local temple to conduct religious rites for 7 days. Locals consider the skeletons to be those of their ancestors, and have kept a close around-the-clock watch on the remains to prevent theft.

In 1983, ancient remains, pottery and bronze ware were discovered in Noen Sung district of Nakhon Ratchasima. The items were found to be from the Tharawadi and ancient Kmer cultures, and were dated between 1,500-3,000 years old. The site of that discovery has since become an important tourism site for the province.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-27 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Meanwhile, locals have sought the Fine Arts Department's permission to take the discovered skeletons to a local temple to conduct religious rites for 7 days. Locals consider the skeletons to be those of their ancestors, and have kept a close around-the-clock watch on the remains to prevent theft.

Here's a secret photograph sent to me by the farmer who owns the land, where they unearthed the earth.

One can only use his imagination what these monks are doing to THESE BONES.........facepalm.gif

post-108180-0-36815800-1403861371.jpg

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

hey! thats my husband's village!!!... when i get hold of him (he's still in thailand either at home or in bangkok already) i will ask him... that's really cool... since there are onlyu about 6 main family groups in the village, maybe its one of his family that found the stuff. too bad im already back here in israel.. cause that would have been major cool (i bet they are all thinking of ways to sell off smaller bits and pieces or collect them, as many of his family are really into the ajarn /amulet stuff in a really major way, going spelunking to search for magic stones (amber) etc...

Why can't the 'finder' keep his findings and sell them any way he wishes? Is there some sacred Thai Law that states "all ancient crap dug up in the earth belongs to the government"? He should have kept his mouth shut and sold it on Ebay.

• Like 1

What no RIP comments? The pottery is 1,500 years old,are they sure about the skeleton? all this unseemly hurry to get it to the temple.

Price check, aisle 7.

Grocery_Queue_Skeleton_Sitting_Small-300

Wonder if the pottery still has a bar-code sticker on it.

Also here if u find antiquities they belong to the government and keeping them is a criminal offensive and do get caught..we have tons here where I live and officially they belong to the antiquities office part of some larger gov. Office

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are we sure its not a store of previously-used falang husbands of Korat bar girls, with a few bits of old pots strewn around to put the police of the scent?

Honestly speaking, my first thought was that these were some victims of Thaksin's war on drugs, where a couple of thousand innocent people got killed.

Then the Satthahip containers, where too many fishermen had bones, skulls, etc in their nets,. but then all in a sudden disappeared..

Time to party folks we have a new tourist attraction.

That might be the hit, dancing together with my Morlam girls in wife's ( for Brits: Misses) village. We could call them "The Sexbombbones.".

P.S.They're all still single and properly virgins. Please page me, if you'd like to meet one of them...laugh.png

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4uQD3n5YyE

Edited by sirchai