Expensive Melons in Thailand

Chao Lao Beach

Produce prices vary, maybe they are imported, best price will always be at the fresh market... related, I have never seen Lychee cheaper and sweeter than now and the mangosteens and mangos are rockin now too. (In C.M.)

Yep, Cantaloupe is fairly expensive and very popular too.

I was surprised to hear the Isan folks to use such a foreign word.

Put one on the table and you will hear cantaloupe, cantaloupe! biggrin.png

I have no idea where the price results from.

It is culitvated in Thailand, so probably no imported food (?).

200 Baht is really steep.

It costs around 2 Euro (90 Baht) in Germany.

Simliar price at Tesco, UK.

I find most fruit and veg to be way overpriced in Thailand, except when there really is a glut of it. It's probably due to some Thai-style cartel middleman system.

I do not share this generalization.

Of course it makes a big difference whether you look at local produce or fancy for imported strawberries, cherrys, grapes etc.

What are you referring to and what country do you compare it to?

--------

In this older thread there is speculation that the overly expensive ones are imported from Japan.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541499-cantaloupe-prices/

Edited by KhunBENQ

I find most fruit and veg to be way overpriced in Thailand, except when there really is a glut of it. It's probably due to some Thai-style cartel middleman system.

Maybe if you are buying imported fruit in places like Villa Market etc

In Chanthaburi the fruit is dirt cheap. loads of mangosteens, rambhutans and Durian at present smile.png

I find the melons here in Thailand are not expensive, but are also not that big. For big melons go to places like Colombia, Las Vegas, or even New York City, but be prepared to pay, especially in LV and NYC.

• Like 1

I find the melons here in Thailand are not expensive, but are also not that big. For big melons go to places like Colombia, Las Vegas, or even New York City, but be prepared to pay, especially in LV and NYC.

Don't forget the German beer Kellers..giggle.gif

• Like 1

Japanese melons are expensive sold in big-c, because its imported... I see no problem with the price of the local fruits, but agree with you the melons are expensive in Thailand. You can buy cheap thai melon or cantaloupe but literally it doesn't have much taste/scent its better to buy the expensive...

There is not much choice left unless we start grow it in the garden... thumbsup.gif

Luckily there is an alternative sometimes in Tops they sell very good green Japanese melons at fair price. A half and packed melon costs around 59-89Baht, its something between most of us could afford who like the good old tasty melons... wai2.gif

Why are peanuts so ridiculously expensive here don''t they grow here? Probably the key to getting rich in Thailand is not through competition but through monopolies... cell phones, beer, agriculture the list goes on.

I do not share this generalization.

Of course it makes a big difference whether you look at local produce or fancy for imported strawberries, cherrys, grapes etc.

What are you referring to and what country do you compare it to?

I'm comparing locally-grown things like tomatoes and lettuce to locally-grown tomatoes and lettuce in Europe (not hot-house grown). All purchased in large supermarkets.

But the same comment applies to other things like broccoli, celery and even things like mangoes which can be cheaper imported from Brazil and sold in European supermarkets than the locally grown ones are here. Mangoes are certainly a lot cheaper in the Philippines.

Dried bananas are also cheaper in Europe than they are here.

I never buy expensive imported items like cherries here though I do buy imported grapes and apples which for some unknown reason are often cheap.

Cantaloup melon in Thailand is not nice, never had a nice sweet one like in Europe.

The japanese rock melons are expensive and nice but i even think they are not imported at all, grown in thailand and making somebody rich.

Sometimes i see small rock melons on the market for 20 baht and they are not bad. 200 baht for a rockmelon is very expensive compared to europe.

I also think fruit is expensive in thailand but what i miss is the big fruit stands who are cheap. I only see small fruitstands and then the labourcosts make it expensive.

We have melons in the farm with out chemical!

Something on market I cannot eat when chemical use is to high

I think on pumpkins and Melons there are some "hormons" to make them more big. Recently were news from China from some fields where they exploded. Too much pressure inside and the outside could not grow fast enough, rofl.....Can't be healthy.