Patong is dead

coconutbar

At last!! maybe some rich git will steamroll it reasonably flat and return it to the wilderness it was when we first introduced septics from PhuMhu and ubon to the joys of scouse gamefishing with Puying mak mak!!

Steamrolling would be a cake walk compared to the Tsunami damage they had experienced. It would just grow back.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, I wouldn't say it's dead but it has changed.

In 2002, it was a fun place, too fun in fact.

Now, Bangla Rd seems like a mini walking street but another difference I noticed, and it's not all bad, is that the demographics has definatley changed:

Way more women visitors than before.

More families.

I did not see alot of men with their date for the night, as it just seems that ppl are just there to look/gawk and drink a little.

With this being said, had an awesome time at Tiger disco.

I preferred Karon beach area, as it resembled Patong over 10 yrs back..

Am surprised that the Royal Paradise is still by far the largest structure in patong after a decade.

Sorry if some of my details were off topic.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Phuket is not real Thailand , only for playboys and gangsters

Dear oh dear. How little you know. Most of my fellow expats never venture to the west coast tourist areas, with it's overpricing and intimidatory practices by a host of businesses. Always best to keep in mind, big difference between visiting as a tourist, and living permanently as an expat. Phuket's got some great areas (and people), with quality service at 'normal prices'. Traffic congestion can be a pain at times (on the main trunk routes), but conversely has a range of services, shopping and leisure facilities and choices of lifestyle unrivalled anywhere else within the total square metreage, in Thailand, as well as good access to internal and international air links.

Not all of us were tourists - some have lived there and moved on - I was forced to and looking back realise it was a cesspit. Its easy to live on a cocoon though pretty much anywhere until a predator arrives!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Good Point.

I previously lived there for 6 years and would have defended the place when I did live there.

Having moved on and been back a few times, I too realize what an absolute craphole Phuket is.

One day soon, those that move on will look back and realize they lived in a sewer too...

Phuket is not real Thailand , only for playboys and gangsters

Dear oh dear. How little you know. Most of my fellow expats never venture to the west coast tourist areas, with it's overpricing and intimidatory practices by a host of businesses. Always best to keep in mind, big difference between visiting as a tourist, and living permanently as an expat. Phuket's got some great areas (and people), with quality service at 'normal prices'. Traffic congestion can be a pain at times (on the main trunk routes), but conversely has a range of services, shopping and leisure facilities and choices of lifestyle unrivalled anywhere else within the total square metreage, in Thailand, as well as good access to internal and international air links.

Not all of us were tourists - some have lived there and moved on - I was forced to and looking back realise it was a cesspit. Its easy to live on a cocoon though pretty much anywhere until a predator arrives!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Good Point.

I previously lived there for 6 years and would have defended the place when I did live there.

Having moved on and been back a few times, I too realize what an absolute craphole Phuket is.

One day soon, those that move on will look back and realize they lived in a sewer too...

Good to hear from people whose opinions are based on first hand knowledge, gained by living here, unlike most of the inconsequentials who normally jump in with this type of invective,

A pity your views aren't expressed more as constructive criticism with the emphasis on what it was that so upset you, as opposed to just using base language in a general way.

May I ask, are you describing Phuket Province in it's entirety, or just Patong? And, where did you live in the province and where do you live now? I may wish to move to this piece of paradise! smile.png

Edited by Old Croc

High season is the new low season

In the past, "high season" was used to describe a higher amount of tourists coming to Phuket, usually as a result of the European winter, and therefore, a higher amount of turnover and profits.

Now, "high season" still describes a higher amount of tourists coming to Phuket, but nowhere near the same amount of turnover and profits.

It's due to the new demographic of tourist Phuket is attracting to it, package holiday makers from emerging economies. They just don't have the purchasing power of the western market Phuket once attracted, in vast numbers.

Some businesses will do better. Eg. 7/11, Family Mart and supermarkets.

Some businesses will suffer. Eg. smaller guest houses, beer bars, nightclubs, tuk-tuks, higher priced activities and sports, salons, massage shops, restaurants etc.

The success of any business, in this case, the tourism industry on Phuket, is always judged by profits, which in turn stimulates the economy.

In relation to "high or low season" - Phuket used to see a higher amount of tourists, with higher money being spent. Now, Phuket still sees the higher amount of tourists, but with a lot less money spent by them.

For those who judge "high season" in a similar way to the TAT, that is, simply, the amount of tourist arrivals, you may well think there is still a "high season."

For those that judge "high season" by higher sales and profits, you will most likely see in the future, if not already, a big narrowing of the gap between high and low season, as they start to blend into each other.

No longer will businesses here be able to rely on "high season" to get them through "low season" like they have in the past.

I think many small businesses will suffer and many will be up for sale, most likely unable to be sold, and will remain derelict. For the expats that live here, that will mean, a reduction in variety of choice, and higher prices, mainly due to the Thai business model of "money go down - put price up." This may very well cause the Phuket bubble to burst, creating a mini "financial crisis" in the Phuket economy.

I predict tough times ahead for those in business here. It doesn't mean you are not running a good operation, it's just that you are being undermined by greedy Thai landlords, poor infastructure, no public transport, dirty beaches, scams and rip offs, higher crime and drugs abuse, traffic, polution etc - all the things that are out of your control, but, unfortunately, all surround your business, and effect Phuket's reputation, particularly on the internet, and by word of mouth, as a nice place for a holiday.

Edited by NamKangMan

In the past, "high season" was used to describe a higher amount of tourists coming to Phuket, usually as a result of the European winter, and therefore, a higher amount of turnover and profits.

Now, "high season" still describes a higher amount of tourists coming to Phuket, but nowhere near the same amount of turnover and profits.

It's due to the new demographic of tourist Phuket is attracting to it, package holiday makers from emerging economies. They just don't have the purchasing power of the western market Phuket once attracted, in vast numbers.

Some businesses will suffer. Eg. smaller guest houses, beer bars, nightclubs, tuk-tuks, higher priced activities and sports, salons, massage shops, restaurants etc.

The success of any business, in this case, the tourism industry on Phuket, is always judged by profits, which in turn stimulates the economy.

In relation to "high or low season" - Phuket used to see a higher amount of tourists, with higher money being spent. Now, Phuket still sees the higher amount of tourists, but with a lot less money spent by them.

For those who judge "high season" in a similar way to the TAT, that is, simply, the amount of tourist arrivals, you may well think there is still a "high season."

For those that judge "high season" by higher sales and profits, you will most likely see in the future, if not already, a big narrowing of the gap between high and low season, as they start to blend into each other.

No longer will businesses here be able to rely on "high season" to get them through "low season" like they have in the past.

I think many small businesses will suffer and many will be up for sale, most likely unable to be sold, and will remain derelict. For the expats that live here, that will mean, a reduction in variety of choice, and higher prices, mainly due to the Thai business model of "money go down - put price up." This may very well cause the Phuket bubble to burst, creating a mini "financial crisis" in the Phuket economy.

I predict tough times ahead for those in business here. It doesn't mean you are not running a good operation, it's just that you are being undermined by greedy Thai landlords, poor infastructure, no public transport, dirty beaches, scams and rip offs, higher crime and drugs abuse, traffic, polution etc - all the things that are out of your control, but, unfortunately, all surround your business, and effect Phuket's reputation, particularly on the internet, and by word of mouth, as a nice place for a holiday.

It is the Costa del Sol syndrome. Corruption and scams send away the slightly more affluent which are replaced with significantly less affluent (in spending habits particularly). Businesses decline and proprty goes vacant and eventually into dereliction which makes the place look tatty so even less come and on into a cycle of downward attraction. Eventually the place becomes a ghost town and the hotels turn into condos in a desperate attempt to recoup something. But with no business and no tourists there is no work so no one wants

To live there either.

iPhone app will not let me delete following line so please ignore.

hhhh to live there eitherattempt to

Edited by slipperx

It is the Costa del Sol syndrome. Corruption and scams send away the slightly more affluent which are replaced with significantly less affluent (in spending habits particularly). Businesses decline and proprty goes vacant and eventually into dereliction which makes the place look tatty so even less come and on into a cycle of downward attraction. Eventually the place becomes a ghost town and the hotels turn into condos in a desperate attempt to recoup something. But with no business and no tourists there is no work so no one wants

To live there either.

iPhone app will not let me delete following line so please ignore.

hhhh to live there eitherattempt to

I agree. I commented sometime ago of the many similarities between what happened with Costa del Sol and what is happening on Phuket.

When I went to Patonga about two years ago I was shocked how expensive food and alcohol was compared to pattay and bkk

It was almost back home prices eg $17 for a small fish dish which was about 8-11 in bkk and patttaya

Probably won't go back there

Patong is a really dreadful place. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to live there. I made the mistake of staying there, and could not wait to leave. On my next trip to Phuket I visited for two hours, and that was enough. Kata was a lot more pleasant. Or Surin. Many better spots on Phuket. Very overpriced. Very congested, and not clean, or tidy. Food was grossly overpriced. Skip this place. Do yourself a huge favor.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I first went to Phuket in 1999 for a month and had a great time , non stop party pretty much. Ive been back since a few and was there for a few days over Christmas when the Tsunami happened. The last 4 years I've played in the Phuket 7s , so stay for a long weekend . I must say to me it has the Tourist trap feel about it now . I wanted a pick up from the airport , the hotel wanted paying up front for 800Bt , 5k open credit card at reception in case I break something or raid the mini bar. Just struck me that the Farangs are there treating the locals like shit and the locals are doing the same. Beautiful place though all the same

Patong is dead.

Long live the Patong!

If Patong is dying - that means Phuket is dying, particularly the Phuket economy.

Of course, those with a business and property interests here, will not acknowledge such a down turn in economic factors, let alone, an upshift in crime.

The Thai Army is here, doing some good work.

A local economy has been forged on Phuket on the back of free spending western tourists. Phuket, for many reasons, is now not so attractive to that market base, and that market has moved on.

It's the last throw of the dice for Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

When I went to Patonga about two years ago I was shocked how expensive food and alcohol was compared to pattay and bkk

It was almost back home prices eg $17 for a small fish dish which was about 8-11 in bkk and patttaya

Probably won't go back there

I went to Karon beach twice in 2013 between November and December. loved the food and the ocean. Loved the big white buddha overlooking the beach. So serene. The nightlife was all I needed. But, I finally made it up to Patong for two nights. It was more expensive than Pattaya or BKK. It was very crowded. The big mall was , well it was a big mall. But I did catch a movie which was a break from the heat of the day. the beach was too crowded compared to Karon beach. The nightlife venu Soi Bangla was OK. certainly would seem wild to many people but after 12 trips to Thailand it wasn't anything special. The seafood was really good. That large eatery place just before you get to Bangla really had quite a choice of fresh goodies. But no scenery from there. Eating at Karon or back over in Ao Nang was a better overall experience. All in all, I might go back for a few days if I was on Phuket to go swim at Karon or some other place. Probably will stay in Karon and rent a motorbike to go back and forth to Patong. That taxi/tuk tuk shenanigans was too much of a put-off. What they need is some sort of decent public travel between Patong and Karon.

IMO, I wouldn't say it's dead but it has changed.

In 2002, it was a fun place, too fun in fact.

Now, Bangla Rd seems like a mini walking street but another difference I noticed, and it's not all bad, is that the demographics has definatley changed:

Way more women visitors than before.

More families.

I did not see alot of men with their date for the night, as it just seems that ppl are just there to look/gawk and drink a little.

With this being said, had an awesome time at Tiger disco.

I preferred Karon beach area, as it resembled Patong over 10 yrs back..

Am surprised that the Royal Paradise is still by far the largest structure in patong after a decade.

Sorry if some of my details were off topic.

I agree with your perceptions. I stopped in for three nights back in December 2013. Bangla seemed more lookers than anything else. People seemed drunk enough (probably from store bought cheaper beer) and hyped up on something, but not much going on in the bars.

I love it in my part of Phuket Province. Especially at this time of the year. It's very quiet, other than all the noisy birds around here! The beach has been cleared of loungers and umbrellas, what's not to like? Cooler weather, fewer tourists, less traffic… I hope all those who hate Phuket stay wherever they think is so great. I just did an Issan tour to Korat, Buriram and Sa Kaew. I was very happy to get back to my quiet home here in Phuket.

• 1 year later...