Patong is dead

coconutbar

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last!! maybe some rich git will steamroll it reasonably flat and return it to the wilderness it was when we first introduced septics from PhuMhu and ubon to the joys of scouse gamefishing with Puying mak mak!!

When I went to Patonga about two years ago I was shocked how expensive food and alcohol was compared to pattay and bkk

It was almost back home prices eg $17 for a small fish dish which was about 8-11 in bkk and patttaya

Probably won't go back there

Hope the fish was not caught locally. Last time I was there I saw a group of maybe 20 locals hand pulling a 1/2 mile long gillnet towards the beach which they sell to local restaurants. It was set out where the runoff pipes end offshore.

When I went to Patonga about two years ago I was shocked how expensive food and alcohol was compared to pattay and bkk

It was almost back home prices eg $17 for a small fish dish which was about 8-11 in bkk and patttaya

Probably won't go back there

Hope the fish was not caught locally. Last time I was there I saw a group of maybe 20 locals hand pulling a 1/2 mile long gillnet towards the beach which they sell to local restaurants. It was set out where the runoff pipes end offshore.

nothing would surprise me in these asian countries,

and btw, 9am, even at 11am, the places aer empty, as its a lunch too late night destination, of course its going to be empty!

At 9am?

Well, most people are in bed with their new friend at that time

Either that or they are walking down the soi wondering where all the other people are.

Then theres the people who are at home with their pets. ;)

At last!! maybe some rich git will steamroll it reasonably flat and return it to the wilderness it was when we first introduced septics from PhuMhu and ubon to the joys of scouse gamefishing with Puying mak mak!!

Memories are great things Nignoy, enjoy them while you can.

Wishing a place would revert to how it was when you had your best times will never happen, anywhere in the world, no matter how much you wish it.

Patong is quiet at the moment because, guess what, it's low season and there's been a coup in the country scaring tourists away from all of Thailand.

However, to wander around at sparrows fart in a party town, and wonder where the party goers are, is naive to say the least.

At least it gave the sad sack Phuket bashers a vehicle to throw their usual crap, as they munch on their cheap, stale , sticky rice breakfast in Nakkon Nowhere!

Som nam na...... Guess all the bad press created by the mafia there has finally

caught up with the place. I lived there in 2000 and loved it. Went back in

2009 and hated it. Swore I would never set foot there again.....

Some good news there at least.

Patong is quiet at the moment because, guess what, it's low season and there's been a coup in the country scaring tourists away from all of Thailand.

However, to wander around at sparrows fart in a party town, and wonder where the party goers are, is naive to say the least.

At least it gave the sad sack Phuket bashers a vehicle to throw their usual crap, as they munch on their cheap, stale , sticky rice breakfast in Nakkon Nowhere!

Love it OC !

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Fact is, June saw the Coup Cancellations plus dodgy weather for most of the month, hotel occupancies under 20%. Weather getting better now, hoteliers are saying bookings for July-August are holding solid, so it's just a lull in what is normally the slowest month of the year.

Do you call Patong home? Have you looked at the capacity of the wastewater treatment facility? It is old and undersized for the demands placed on it.

I heard discussion there is a new one being planned but lack of finances have resulted in the plans being shelved. All those hotels and not any of them willing to contribute to the betterment of the area and the beach that they all depend on for their business.

Cheers

Do you call Patong home? Have you looked at the capacity of the wastewater treatment facility? It is old and undersized for the demands placed on it.

I heard discussion there is a new one being planned but lack of finances have resulted in the plans being shelved. All those hotels and not any of them willing to contribute to the betterment of the area and the beach that they all depend on for their business.

Cheers

I lived in Patong for about 9 months a couple of years ago before buying a house on the other side of the hills because that's where I prefer to live. Patong serves a purpose for many, but not all, people.

I'm not au fait with the workings of the waste water treatment facilities in that town, no reason to be, My crap always went away and stayed away. It's a pity the types who visited once, for a week, in the 1990's won't do the same.

It's rather creepy the amount of people who stalk a forum dedicated to the Province of Phuket just looking for a chance to state that they hate the place and have no interest in going there! I too have plenty of places, in Thailand, and around the world, where I will never go again, but I don't haunt social media to berate the locals.

Cheers

I lived in Patong for about 9 months a couple of years ago before buying a house on the other side of the hills because that's where I prefer to live. Patong serves a purpose for many, but not all, people.

I'm not au fait with the workings of the waste water treatment facilities in that town, no reason to be, My crap always went away and stayed away. It's a pity the types who visited once, for a week, in the 1990's won't do the same.

It's rather creepy the amount of people who stalk a forum dedicated to the Province of Phuket just looking for a chance to state that they hate the place and have no interest in going there! I too have plenty of places, in Thailand, and around the world, where I will never go again, but I don't haunt social media to berate the locals.

I chose to live in Patong. I like Patong, but yes, Patong is "dead" at the moment.

It could be the tsunami, bird flu, swine flu, terrorist threats, military coup etc etc - but the reason it is quiet is definitely not because it's overpriced, polluted, riddled with corruption and scams, has a growing crime rate and has no public transport. biggrin.png

I mean, there's no possible way Patong is dead because of anything the locals have done, or haven't done, right? biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Phuket is not real Thailand , only for playboys and gangsters

Dear oh dear. How little you know. Most of my fellow expats never venture to the west coast tourist areas, with it's overpricing and intimidatory practices by a host of businesses. Always best to keep in mind, big difference between visiting as a tourist, and living permanently as an expat. Phuket's got some great areas (and people), with quality service at 'normal prices'. Traffic congestion can be a pain at times (on the main trunk routes), but conversely has a range of services, shopping and leisure facilities and choices of lifestyle unrivalled anywhere else within the total square metreage, in Thailand, as well as good access to internal and international air links.