Have you ever seen Pattaya so empty of tourists?

Jingthing

Probably the movie theater, some new movies just released.

I wondered about that too but I couldnt see anything special on the signs in the theatre. I park there often on Thursdays and have never seen it like that before. Central wasnt full either.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this topic needs to be debated at length so we can get an idea of what to expect.

Firstly prices have gone through the roof and that includes LT asking prices 1500 BF 4500 LT which I use as the economic cornerstone for Pattaya . . . It's almost cheaper in Europe now. When prices are even we can expect them to level out at the least.

Anyway I have a background in Economics so I was surprised then prices increased faster with decreasing demand

I believe this is why

Let's take the UK for example . . After recession hit In 2009 we saw inflation on goods and services go up to the highest level for many years. 6-7%

1. This is because people and business try to match falling demand with higher prices

2. this works for a short period as customers have savings and people will in turn continue to pay more to maintain there standard of living.

3. After some time people run out of money and only then stop buying.

4. Then one of 4 things tend to happen. Business aether go bust or drop there price to become competitive or the currency devalues. If the currency is pegged/ or a single money is used like in Europe and currency can't devalue the service quality reduces or prices fall which is more damaging.

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But then again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

One post removed:

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

I second that ! This is an interesting topic that deserves extended analysis. So what kind of a poster would be making posts that need to be removed ???

I think this topic needs to be debated at length so we can get an idea of what to expect.

Firstly prices have gone through the roof and that includes LT asking prices 1500 BF 4500 LT which I use as the economic cornerstone for Pattaya . . . It's almost cheaper in Europe now. When prices are even we can expect them to level out at the least.

Anyway I have a background in Economics so I was surprised then prices increased faster with decreasing demand

I believe this is why

Let's take the UK for example . . After recession hit In 2009 we saw inflation on goods and services go up to the highest level for many years. 6-7%

1. This is because people and business try to match falling demand with higher prices

2. this works for a short period as customers have savings and people will in turn continue to pay more to maintain there standard of living.

4. Then one of 4 things tend to happen. Business aether go bust or drop there price to become competitive or the currency devalues. If the currency is pegged/ or a single money is used like in Europe and currency can't devalue the service quality reduces or prices fall which is more damaging.

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But then again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

Your economic cornerstone only applies to some go-go bars. The majority of the other venues are about 1/4 that.

On your conclusion : If this continues, that is, the rest of low season and well into/through high season.

Then the laws of supply and demand may finally start to applying to Thailand. Applying to all local businesses especially this 2 & 3 star hotel bubble.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

I believe this is why

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues the there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But thene corr again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

You have a background in economic do you? Are you sure? If you had knew anything about economic then you would know that the jump in prices in the UK followed a huge fall in the GBP and price rises were largely a response to the correspondingly higher import prices.

Dunce

• Like 1

So what kind of a poster would be making posts that need to be removed ???

Some people just swear all the time. They don't even notice they are doing it and see nothing wrong with it. I have an Australian lady customer who fills her emails to me with a huge number of f-words even when discussing banal things like the weather. She also punctuates her sentences with the same word at full volume even in classy restaurants and suchlike. I've noticed other Australians doing the same. It's quite embarrassing.

• Like 2

Firstly prices have gone through the roof and that includes LT asking prices 1500 BF 4500 LT

That does LT and BF mean? Do you mean ST and LT? blink.png

Yesterday I have never seen Festival Beach so busy, mainly Thai's I must say

It was a big sale at Central the last week so that could explain it. A lot of Thais have money to spend, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I believe this is why

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues the there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But thene corr again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

You have a background in economic do you? Are you sure? If you had knew anything about economic then you would know that the jump in prices in the UK followed a huge fall in the GBP and price rises were largely a response to the correspondingly higher import prices.

Dunce

YUP, a "dunce" indeed . 6,000 baht to get your end away,with a third world farm girl.

• Like 1

I believe this is why

Conclusion

Any thoughts?

Dunce

YUP, a "dunce" indeed . 6,000 baht to get your end away,with a third world farm girl.

She was gold-plated.

What's striking to me is that I have been for years and this is really the emptiest I've seen it. I'm afraid I'll get spoiled! Fishing village redux?

I was upstairs in Central in AKA (not cheap) restaurant last week on a Monday and it was nearly packed out with Thai customers. Most other restaurants up there were doing well too.

Edited by tropo

Few hours ago walked from 3 road to 2 road via Pattaya tai, past friendship and tuk com.

All cafe's empty, tuk com, almost empty, hardly any people on the street. Saw 2 foreigners on that entire stretch

I went to Friendship today after a few days in BKK, 1pm and it was very busy all the way down Tai and back upto Jomtien. Different times give different perceptions.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great time to buy at a two for one pricing......clap2.gif

We were in Krabi two weeks ago and all the tour boats. beaches, and island stops were full....no place to park/beach the boats hardly....don't know if that translates to less vacancy at the hotels....the good places to eat were hoppin'

Yes I have noticed many price increases for sure. Like a buffet I used to like went went up 25 percent since last month so I looked at it but they had stopped offering the main dish I used to go there for. Good move ... they got nada from me. Raise the price and offer less, good business IF you can get it.

Yes, I have noticed that prices are not going down. Very curious. The worldwide tendency to exercise the competitive edge seems to not exist here. Am I missing something? One would think you would be looking to fill up your restaurant, your rooms in your hotel, or your establishment with patrons. Half price drinks, discounts, etc? Raising prices when biz is low is insanity, and a complete lack of common sense and reason. Wait a minute, did I just describe planet Thailandia?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi Mike

Actually the practice of raising prices under these circumstances is not as stupid as you may feel. Just because we in the West do something or think something, does not mean that people who don't do it lack common sense at all.

Our Western business practices of systematically cutting each others' throats in the bad times ensures one very likely outcome; the death of the businesses unless the bad times are very short indeed. There's only so far you can go when you're competing with the guy in the restaurant across the road with our Western attitude. I cut prices, then he cuts prices... then what? I cut them again and so does he? Finally, neither of us is making anything. It's just plain stupid, and definitely not what I'd consider common sense at all.

Here, they get together with the guy across the street and hike the prices and make other adjustments (perhaps staffing) that quite often means that they can both survive through these times. Additionally, when the bad times are over, the prices seldom return back to the way they were before (price cutting or price raising).

If you ask me, that's smart, and it's actually we Westerners who lack the common sense. These people have been trading for thousands of years in Asia, one of the toughest trading environments in the world.

Regards

Thaimlord.

• Like 1

It seemed very quiet in Cha Am recently (where I have a condo, so I know it's usually pretty quiet in comparison to Pattaya). The local beach bar/restaurant I frequent was closed for the season and another Thai owned restaurant I use looked as if it had very few customers and was on its last legs. A popular seafood restaurant was packed with Thais. Hua Hin was also quiet - hotel occupancy down and bar scene not very lively.

A couple of months ago I found one Pattaya hotel chain had reduced room rates to 600 baht from 950 baht after the New Year.

Las Vegas thought they were immune to bad times too - and many people lost jobs, lost their homes and money. What makes Pattaya and Phuket think "that can't happen here." - because it's Thailand????? Phuket and Pattaya have been grossly over-built as well as over-priced - they are not immune to a global slowdown.

I believe this is why

Conclusion

Any thoughts?

I was quoted lower prices than you just last week. Two girls, both known to me, said "BWPattaya, pay bar for me, I go with you for 500 Bt."

You were either in somewhere catering for rich Japanese or Koreans, or they saw you coming.

• Like 1

What's striking to me is that I have been for years and this is really the emptiest I've seen it. I'm afraid I'll get spoiled! Fishing village redux?

I recall many years ago when June/July/August were really empty. You could walk across Pattaya Tai or Second Road without much in the way of traffic to worry about. Certainly no tour buses, no taxis. no long queues of song taeows waiting for riders.

Dongtan Beach was deserted. The only businesses along the walkway were Bookazine & the boat noodle shop down past Tui's Place. No Rabbit Resort, hardly any condos.

TukCom was an empty, derelict building. The only shopping to speak of was at Big C North, Mike's and the open markets. No Carrefours/Big C extra nor Big C on Pattaya Tai. No Central. Many of the girls and boys who worked in the bars headed back home, maybe to return in the fall.

Certainly not a fishing village when I first came, but during the summer months it was truly empty of tourists and something of a ghost town.

Hard times for the beach concessions, bar workers and street vendors, but it really was laid-back and peaceful then.