What country is she applying to?

As far as the UK is concerned, the ECOs try to make their decisions based upon the documentary evidence alone. However, if this is insufficient then they will interview the applicant.

At the interview they will ask about the areas where the documents don't supply the necessary answers. They may ask questions about the relationship, where and when you met etc., and maybe about the sponsors situation in the UK, their family and the applicant's future plans and hopes.

As long as the answers in the interview are consistent with the documents, then there wont be a problem.

Another website has a Thai/English version of 'Possible interview questions', but it's in the members only section, so you will need to register to access it.

Don't worry, simply tell the truth. If the answer to a question is "I don't know" then that is what she should say.

She is hopefully coming to England.When we put application in we never had any photo's/letters so she will have to take them this time which may help.it all seems daft as we are married so why they need proof of the relationship.

....it all seems daft as we are married so why they need proof of the relationship.

One of the requirements of the immigration rules is that the applicant can satisfy the visa officer that s/he intends to live permanently with the spouse, and evidence of the relationship is the best way of attaining this.

Scouse.

She is hopefully coming to England.When we put application in we never had any photo's/letters so she will have to take them this time which may help.it all seems daft as we are married so why they need proof of the relationship.

You are making the mistake of thinking like a normal person would. You would think that , as you are married, you should be able to take your wife to the UK at any time whenever the whim takes you . To be able to tell the Immigration Officer to stamp her passport and be sharp about it . If only that were true. In reality you still have to jump through their multitude of hoops to get your wife to the UK.

It isn't a piece of cake and it worries me that you didn't even enclose photos or letters with your application. Did you enclose anything ?? The likelihood is that the visa officer will already have this in his/her "look at this one closely" pile because you didn't provide basic proof of your relationship, thus she is being asked to go to interview.

Start reading the official websites to see what you are expected to provide and between now and your interview date get your paperwork in perfect order . Check and double check you have everything asked for and she will have to take it to interview with her and hope that they will give her the curtesy of looking at it . Forget the notion you seem to have that you are married so thats it . This is immigration we are talking here . You have very few rights , use those you have carefully. Good luck !!

People have in the past entered into a marriage of convenience in order to obtain a visa for the UK (among other countries). Proof of the marriage used to be enough, but now it unfortunately isn't.

It is because of the activities of these criminals that genuine couples now have to show that the relationship is genuine.

We supplied all of the items required exept photo's/letters which she left in Chiagmai,tommorrow when she attends the interview she is taking these along.Maybe we will be lucky but if not is there a time limit befor we can stump up another 18750 baht for another application?

cheers

binnsy

If your wife is unfortunate enough to be refused, then there is nothing to stop her applying again straight away.

However, before doing so you should look carefully at the reasons for the refusal and deal with them. If you don't she'll only be refused again!

Tell her to make it clear to the ECO at the start that she has brought the extra evidence with her. Tell her not to wait until she is asked for it, as she may not be!

Best of luck.

Cheers GU22

I will be calling her before i go down the pub to see the footy and i will inform her to show the letters/photo's as early as possible in the interview.Hopefully she can explain that they were left in Chiangmai at the the time we put in the application.

If they turn us down i was of the impression that they do not have to give a reason is this not the case?

Binnsy :o

If they turn us down i was of the impression that they do not have to give a reason is this not the case?
If they refuse to grant a visa, they must give their reasons for doing so in writing. As spouse applications attract the right of appeal if refused, they must also give her details of this.

Basically, unless the applicant is a known terrorist, has a criminal record, previously broken the immigration rules, previously been deported from the UK or similar, they can only refuse a spouse, fiance or civil partner visa if:-

You have not shown that you can support and accommodate her suitably without recourse to public funds.

or

You have not shown that, on the balance of probabilities, the relationship is genuine.

See Diplomatic Service Procedures - Entry clearance Volume 1 - General instructions

Chapter 26 - Refusals

So, relax, enjoy the game and expect good news tomorrow.

If they refuse to grant a visa, they must give their reasons for doing so in writing. As spouse applications attract the right of appeal if refused, they must also give her details of this.

Basically, unless the applicant is a known terrorist, has a criminal record, previously broken the immigration rules, previously been deported from the UK or similar, they can only refuse a spouse, fiance or civil partner visa if:-

You have not shown that you can support and accommodate her suitably without recourse to public funds.

or

You have not shown that, on the balance of probabilities, the relationship is genuine.

See Diplomatic Service Procedures - Entry clearance Volume 1 - General instructions

Chapter 26 - Refusals

So, relax, enjoy the game and expect good news tomorrow.

My Friends Fiancee (now wife) was refused the UK -VV for not being able to answer questions like which county he is living in england (she knew the City though) . The ECO (African origin) even pointed out that everything the Woman Documented is simply a lie including Emails & sponsorship letter from her now husband . Funnily her Husband to be was sitting outside and wasn't allowed in. The very same day 11 out of 12 interviewed Visa applicants did not receive the VV . I found this rather disappointing. I recall the time when i made the VV to go to Austria with my Wife.....piece of Cake. Maybe it was just a bad day ..... :o

rcm :D

T

My Friends Fiancee (now wife) was refused the UK -VV for not being able to answer questions like which county he is living in england (she knew the City though)
If the questions were getting this detailed, then the documentary evidence must have been sadly lacking!
The ECO (African origin)
What relevance does the ethnicity of the ECO have to anything?! Unless one is a paid up member of the BNP!
her Husband to be was sitting outside and wasn't allowed in.
Sponsors have never been allowed into interviews, to prevent prompting etc.

My Friends Fiancee (now wife) was refused the UK -VV for not being able to answer questions like which county he is living in england (she knew the City though)

If the questions were getting this detailed, then the documentary evidence must have been sadly lacking!
Guess so too,that there was something the ECO in the paperwork didn't like . Although everything was submitted according to the checklist.

The ECO (African origin)

What relevance does the ethnicity of the ECO have to anything?! Unless one is a paid up member of the BNP!
This was supposed to be just plain information , nothing else.

her Husband to be was sitting outside and wasn't allowed in.

Sponsors have never been allowed into interviews, to prevent prompting etc.

So why is the ECO explaining to the Applicant that everything is a lie when she can see the proof sitting outside? Anyways they opted for settlement Visa now and get their help from and Agent...the only real problem that they had for the VV was they have only met for about 14 days in Real and knew each other just about 6 month. There was a good chance to fail with this and my Friend knew about this. What was rather upsetting is the reason....by mentioning everything is a lie. If the ECO would have pointed out that they know each other not long enough than this would have been a reason.

As mentioned before maybe just a bad day , but things could have been handeled much friendlier by the ECO.

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

Guess so too,that there was something the ECO in the paperwork didn't like . Although everything was submitted according to the checklist.
The checklist is just that, a list of documents that applicants are advised to submit. It is the quality of the documents that determine whether an interview is needed, not the quantity. For an interview to be required there would be something missing from the documents that the ECO will try to clarify at the interview.
This was supposed to be just plain information , nothing else.
So what is it's relevance? Why not say what the ECO was wearing, that's information too, and just as irrelevant.
So why is the ECO explaining to the Applicant that everything is a lie when she can see the proof sitting outside?
The sponsor was sitting outside, but what proof is that of the relationship? None, except that they have at least met.

After knowing each other a mere 14 days, I am not surprised she was refused. Indeed, your friend seemed to expect it

...the only real problem that they had for the VV was they have only met for about 14 days........ There was a good chance to fail with this and my Friend knew about this.
What was rather upsetting is the reason....by mentioning everything is a lie.
Are you sure that the ECO said this, i.e. used those words? Was the interview in English or Thai. If in Thai, it is unfortunate that sometimes the translators have been known to be rather blunt in their translations. For example the ECO saying that the evidence doesn't show that the relationship is real could be translated as "He doesn't believe you. He thinks you are lying"
If the ECO would have pointed out that they know each other not long enough than this would have been a reason.
Whatever the reason, she would have been given a refusal notice detailing why the visa had been refused. What does that say?

This does sound like rather a weak application . However it does seem that part of the complaint is about the somewhat aggressive way it was handled. I have never really understood why any application, however absurd, can be treated with disrespect and rudeness by the interviewing officer. Surely any application they wish to refuse could still be handled with the upmost sympathy and politeness , with the ECO pointing out in a friendly manner why it has been refused and giving a few tips on how to improve it next time.

This would be helpful to the applicant which is surely the aim.

It may be true that not allowing the sponser in avoids prompting. It also ensures that the sponser cannot see and make notes on the way the interview was conducted , or spot any discrepancies between what the applicant says and what is recorded. Nor can he instantly clear up any misunderstandings which then go on to lead to a refusal. So you see, not so black and white as you have been lead to believe.

Wether one finds the visa process a piece of p--- or a p---take, you'll sure to be p---off on a refusal. So what should be done, For most it's simply a case of taking heed of the refusal notes piecing it together and reaply at the appropriate time, having said that, i do know of numerous cases where a refusal was non appropriate. One such case was where the ECO's notes of refusal were proven to be wrong or in the sponsor's words lies, i'll not go into details other than to say the refusal was overturned and visa granted within one hour of the refusal and may i just add a Thai interpreter was used !. As for it being a bad day, It was'nt one day last week was it, the ratio in favour of refusal being 7-1 or was it just another day for tears.

My wife recently had her application refused. I didn't go to the embassy with her because I interpretted the website (UK) to mean I wouldn't be allowed anywhere near her during the entire process....

They asked her when we met and she said the date in 2005 (should have said 2004) but as we know under that kind of pressure anyone can make a mistake especially as those aren't Thai years. They jumped on her and she realised her mistake and kept saying, we met just before the tsunami. They were like a dog with a bone and kept on at her until she was finally reduced to tears in the interview.

There were some errors on my behalf regarding the information, nothing too drastic and with a little bit of diligence they would have understood the information, but they just dismissed it all off cuff.

Anyway, I have sent it off to appeal in London and there will be a hearing in July. Hopefully the decision will be overturned.

We were applying for a 2 week holiday visa for her. We signed the marriage certificate in December last year and were having the buddhist blessing in April. The plan was to then go to the UK so she could meet her new family. We were living together in Bangers for 18 months prior to the visa apllication.....

There were some errors on my behalf regarding the information, nothing too drastic and with a little bit of diligence they would have understood the information, but they just dismissed it all off cuff.
I obviously cannot comment on individual cases without knowing the full facts. However, it is vital that people realise that the onus is on the applicant and sponsor to provide full and correct information. The ECOs will, and can, only base their decision on the information presented to them. If that information is erroneous or incomplete then, I'm sorry, but the fault lies with the applicant or sponsor, not with the ECO.

I obviously cannot comment on individual cases without knowing the full facts. However, it is vital that people realise that the onus is on the applicant and sponsor to provide full and correct information. The ECOs will, and can, only base their decision on the information presented to them. If that information is erroneous or incomplete then, I'm sorry, but the fault lies with the applicant or sponsor, not with the ECO.

I agree 100%. In this situation however, my circumstances are very different to 99% of other candidates. I work on a contract basis and only get paid at the end of a contract. As each contract lasts up to 7 months, my current account in the UK is 'dormant' for long periods as I live off of cash tips from my customers (about 50k a month). I detailed all of this in the application and included all of my bank account statements, a letter from my company explaining this and it was all dismissed without scrutiny. My wife was told "We don't have time to look at all of this information" When she tried to explain it they cut her off and stated that one reason her application was declined was that I failed to provide the necessary information. It was all there in black and white, and she also tried to explain verbally. It was a major failing on their behalf to not think 'outside the box' and take a little time over an exceptional case. That is why I sent it to appeal and it is now going to a hearing.

The result was that we were unable to go ahead with a party in the UK to celebrate our marriage with my family. I understand the need to be tough on immigration, but the sadness that they caused not just to my wife but to my family and friends back home does grate a little.

I found the interviewer was very nice(Canadian Embassy) My wife was so worried about her english but the interview was done in Thai not english which really helped. The hardest time we had was with the Thai Police and my wifes background check. They wanted a bribe/Extra fees to speed things up or they said that if not paid things would slow down.

All

My wife attended the interview and she took along the missing evidence the photo's/letters and has to go back on Thursday for the outcome.When i spoke to her she seemed quite upbeat so its fingers crossed until Thursday then i will go to the pub to either celebrate or drown me sorrows hopefully it will be the first!!!

Thanks to all for the postings some made good reading others make me wonder why as the UK is full of eastern europeans scrounging and here i am prepared to sponsor my wife and have to go through this.

binnsy

tourleadersi,

You say that you are living together in Bangkok. Provided the documents supplied with the application show that you are living together in Thailand and that you can afford the visit, then usually, in these circumstances, the visa is issued without an interview.

I can see that your complicated financial position may have needed some explaining. Did you do so in your sponsor's letter?

Edited by GU22

tourleadersi,

You say that you are living together in Bangkok. Provided the documents supplied with the application show that you are living together in Thailand and that you can afford the visit, then usually, in these circumstances, the visa is issued without an interview.

I can see that your complicated financial position may have needed some explaining. Did you do so in your sponsor's letter?

Yeah, I did but they didn't read it (it was sent along for the second interview). One of the problems was that my current account was with an internet bank, and the printouts from the internet did not have my name and address on them (probably for security reasons). It did however show my account number so I gave my wife my bank card and paying in book to link them together (as they both had the account number on them). When my wife tried to explain this she was told in no uncertain terms "My time is important, I don't have time to listen to your explaination"

My current account at that time was empty and had no activity on it for a few months (already explained to them why in the sponsorship letter) so I included a letter from my employer plus a copy of my contract confirming that I would be paid 10K Sterling just prior to the visit. I included insurance details that I would take out for her for the duration of her visit, plus a letter of invitation from my parents who are pretty well off stating their income and that they would be more than happy to take care of my wife during her 2 week visit.

My wife took along the contract for my appartment and the UBC bills to that address in her name for the last 8 months. We had photos of us together in Cambodia and Laos where on 3 seperate occassions she travelled on her own to meet me in those countries whilst I was working.

Everything was laid out clearly as yourself and others have explained. All they had to do was look at the information provided. Instead they seem to have laid in to her, firstly because I wasn't there with her (the website does say that only the applicant should attend, why the h_ll doesn't it say the husband should stand outside?). This really upset her as she thought that I had lied to her and wasn't interested in going, I also lost face with her family for abandoning their daughter.

Then in the second interview they went back to the date that we met. If you remember I said she accidentally told them 2005 instead of 2004? Well, in the second interview they asked her again and she told them 9/12/2004. They leapt on her and said "you told us 5/12/2004." She said "No sorry, I made a mistake with the year, not the day. I told you 2005 not 2004 but always said the 9th." Slam, she was accused of lying and told that the interviewer felt that she would run as soon as we got to the UK. "Do they think I am a bad person? Why would I do that when I love you?" Needless to say the tears flowed for a couple of days. I know for a fact she would not have said the 5th, it is possible the person taking the notes had 5 stuck in their mind after repeatedly saying 2005 and wrote the day down incorrectly.

On the whole it was a pretty painful experience. She was left distraught, I lost face in the eyes of her family as I couldn't even get her a 2 week visa to my own country. My parents were upset as they had planned a big surprise party for us in the UK. Whenever I hear about illegal immigrants in the UK I just feel really sad. I married a woman I had know for well over a year. We lived together for most of that time and my Government don't trust:

1. My judgement of character.

2. My ability as a husband to take care of my wife for 2 weeks.

It actually tested our relationship a little. I was angry and hurt and she thought it was directed at her for failing in the interviews. She felt stupid for not making it through the interview without crying. She is a sweet, lovely woman that always tries to do the best for other people. To have someone you love be treated in this way for a guy like me was terrible. I felt so useless and unable to help. That is now water under the bridge, and the appeal is our hope that the UK government can do us some justice. If only the people in the embassy understood the aftermath of some of the decisions they took, perhaps they would have given my case a little more time?

It certainly seems that she was harshly treated, and you have my full sympathy and best wishes for the appeal.

Was the interview in Thai or English? I have heard many reports of rudeness in interviews, which have later turned out to be rudeness by the Thai interpreter, not the ECO. This was certainly the case when my wife (then fiance) was refused a visit visa. Even with her (then) limited English she found the ECO to be reasonable, but says that the interpreter was very rude. She also felt that not everything she said was being passed on to the ECO.

We complained about this at the time and I would encourage anyone who has encountered similar rudeness, whether by the ECO or the interpreter, to complain vigorously to the head of the visa section.

GU22

When i spoke to my wife she seemed ok i asked what the interview was like and she said that they never upset her.The interview was conducted in Thai and hopefully the 2nd will also be in Thai as my wifes english is about as good as my Thai

binnsy

Binnsy,

Your wife's experience is the norm, with both the ECO and interpreter being polite and helpful.

Unfortunately, though, there have been complaints on this and other boards about rudeness, and when this does occur then a complaint should, IMO, be made to the manager of the visa section.

Fingers crossed for Thurs for you.

Tourleadersi,

Your wife does appear to have had a torrid time at the hands of the visa section.

Currently, appeals are taking about 3-4 months to be heard, so you might wish to write to the Entry Clearance Manager stating why the visa officer's decision was wrong and asking that it be reviewed. Alternatively, you can write to UK Visas asking the same. At least you then stand a chance of the visa being issued without having to wait for the appeal.

I'd write, amongst other things, that despite having foreseen the concerns that the ECO has, your wife's attempts to explain any perceived discrepancies were disregarded and, as such, natural justice was breached.

Scouse.