O visa through child of father have one already, what to do next?

Do they also issue multi non O based on having children instead of based on marriage?

They will but you must be the legal father of your child by way of marriage to their mother or legitimization of your parenthood by way of a court order or an Amphoe.

Ok, thanks. Legitimization by my embassy and PP of my country does not count I guess?

I assume you mean your were able to register you child's birth at your embassy under the laws of your home country in order for them obtain citizenship. That would not be considered legitimization here.

Info about legitimization of your parenthood is here. How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

Being the legal father of your child would also allow you to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration.

Hi this quote above is from another thread (I think it was worry free non O from Savannakhet but I closed the window, sorry). In any case I have a few questions. I am the father of a Thai child, we also did the necessary paperworks and DNA test for him to be my son under US law and he has a born abroad certificate and US passport now (we are planning on going to the US in as soon as the near future as we can more below). I also have been having 1500$ US being transferred into my bank here over the last year, monthly, So that is over the 40000K baht they require.

I have been reading threads on here and it is confusing me and frankly making me a bit cross eyed now.

So my current visa was obtained May 23 (the day after the coup) before this for the last 6 or 7 months I had been doing the Jack Golf thing to Poi Pot as it was the cheapest option at the time and I didn't even know about the non O as result of having a child, to be honest. I read and posted on here and got advice, so now I am back as my next issue is less than a month away.

Now thinking about the future, I am going to get married with in the next few to 6 months.... I plan on trying to get a US visa CR-1 (for my wife to be) through the Bangkok US embassy. One of the conditions for filling that aboard is having an O, ED, or B for CR-1 as such cases filed with USCIS Bangkok are taking about 3-4 months from filing of the initial petition with USCIS to visa interview at the Embassy

but you need to have had your O, ED or B for 6 months prior to do this.

When I went to to my extension of stay in May, I filled out the (I think it was called a) TM7.

So my first question is, is that an O visa that I got? I assume it is but no where on the stamp does it say that (simply says extension to stay), also can I based on being my child's father get a year long visa (here in Bangkok)?

When we went to immigration last month they said I could not do a one month extension (when this expired) when I asked.And they also asked for my lease which was eaten by termites a few years ago and I don't want to bother our landlord (and didn't) about having a new one because well.... she is a hassle, an absentee land lord and our actual lease ran out like 3 years ago, I think she would take the opportunity to raise our rent and she would know I have no way of proving I paid a security deposit.

Anyway. last time we ended up get a statement from a neighbor saying we live here written on a copy of his ID by telling them our L.L. was unavailable, as she does spend a lot of her time up north. Immigration didn't like that much though and they sort of yelled at my GF about doing that.

My GF does have her home paper but since we live here and not there they said that wasn't enough. So the essence of my questions: do I have to go to Savannakhet? If I do does that mean I have to go every 3 months? From the quated above it sort of sounds like I should be able to get a year at Chaeng Wattana or am I not reading it correctly?

Sorry, as I just said it's confusing (and I have been reading numerous posts) and I just want to get answers and get out of here asap. Thanks in advance for your replies.

You are on a O visa that gave you a permit to stay and you can extend that permit to stay. If you have an extension of stay that will meet the requirements to file the I-130 in Bangkok.

But is seems to me that you got a non-o visa in May at Savannakhet. But have not got the extension yet at immigration.

If you went to immigration in May that was to early to do it (45 days early is the max),

I suspect the longest extension you will be able to get is 60 days. But you will have to get the proof of residence problem sorted out.

Then you would have to go out for another single entry non-o visa. Unless you have gotten married by then and can qualify for the one year extension of stay.

• Like 1

You are on a O visa that gave you a permit to stay and you can extend that permit to stay. If you have an extension of stay that will meet the requirements to file the I-130 in Bangkok.

But is seems to me that you got a non-o visa in May at Savannakhet. But have not got the extension yet at immigration.

If you went to immigration in May that was to early to do it (45 days early is the max),

I suspect the longest extension you will be able to get is 60 days. But you will have to get the proof of residence problem sorted out.

Then you would have to go out for another single entry non-o visa. Unless you have gotten married by then and can qualify for the one year extension of stay.

No, I haven't gone to Savannakhet yet, I got the 60 day extension at immigration here in BKK. Before that I was doing monthly border runs the last 6 or 7 months. I haven't ever been to Savannakhet. I didn't know about the extension to stay (for being the parent of a Thai child) until reading on this board in May before and during the coup. My stamp from April was coming up at that point and I was trying to find out what to do and saw a thread about being a parent. My kid is already 2 years and three months old. I probably would have used that option before if I did.

I assume you mean I need to go to Savannakhet when this extension is up and I can't apply for a year (at all?). But I am wondering why it was mentioned in the read I quoted above my post. I could certainly go to the Amphor before my visa is up this coming month.

And no I haven't found a way of getting a copy of my lease with out asking. Still thinking about whether I want to do that. For one thing. I don't want to commit to another year or pay more for the ****hole I live in.

BTW thanks for the reply and sorry I made it confusing.

Edited by 7777777

In order to get the one year extension or a multiple entry non-o visa you will need to have your parenthood legitimized by the court because your child is is not old enough to do it at the Amphoe.

You can go to Vientiane or Savannakhet and get a single entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai child. You just need their birth certificate and house book. This would give you a 90 day entry that you could extend for 60 days at immigration.

By the time those 5 months end you could have the legitimization done or of gotten married and you could then apply for the one year expression.

• Like 1

In order to get the one year extension or a multiple entry non-o visa you will need to have your parenthood legitimized by the court because your child is is not old enough to do it at the Amphoe.

You can go to Vientiane or Savannakhet and get a single entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai child. You just need their birth certificate and house book. This would give you a 90 day entry that you could extend for 60 days at immigration.

By the time those 5 months end you could have the legitimization done or of gotten married and you could then apply for the one year expression.

Silly maybe stupid question but it is called a non O because it is a non immigration O visa right? I mean it is an O visa in reality, isn't it? I just ask because it is better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake. And does the stamp I get ever tell me which visa I have? Looking through my passport, I just don't see that there.

Edited by 7777777

Non Immigrant Ordinary Visa.

The reason your stamps do not tell you what Visa it is?

You are not applying for a Visa.

You are applying for an Extension of your Temporary Permission to Stay in the Kingdom.

It is not a Visa

Yikes, so back to my question in the beginning if I don't have an O visa now as it is an extension and I will just be getting my O visa when I go to Laos on July 23rd and then only if I go back to Laos again (and not get the extension based on the child again for 2 months) 3 months after that, will I be able to apply for the CR-1 abroad. (which you need at least 6 months of and O, ED or a B visa for)?

I will be trying to get married somewhere in that time but the marriage visa, does it even figure into this (in other words do I really even need that ?) because after we are married and have filed the CR-1 my plan is to go back ahead of them and try to do things that establish my domicile as we will be using a cousin and/or my sister as co-sponsors for the CR-1 visa. I also need to find a job, apartment and set up our life there as fast and much as possible (I have been away from the US for 8 and a half years now 7 of which have been in Thailand, so I don't have a residence or property etc...).

Sorry, if that is confusing but I am trying to articulate while still wrapping my head around the question as I ask it.

Edited by 7777777

The USCIS office in Bangkok can be a little flexible on your 6 month stay. They might even count the 60 day extension you have now.

You can get the non-o and then the 60 day extension because that would be a continuous stay of 5 months on a non-o visa entry.

It does not seem that you will not need the one year extension..