What has happened to the road surface in second road?

Asiantravel

Has anyone noticed the highly irregular surface in the second road near the corner of South pattaya road ? Just after the traffic lights as you go along Second road where are all the baht buses are parked on the left (passing places like boat bakery, which is on the right) the road surface has become wavy. blink.png

Does anyone know what is causing this?

You keep going up and down, up and down for quite a considerable distance along second road ( as if the ground below is not so stable anymore ermm.gif ) and then when you reach Royal Garden Plaza, they have a huge number of holes that have been driven into the road and there are pieces of fabric sticking out these holes.huh.png I can only assume that all of this is related.

I'm mentioning this because you hear about sinkholes developing.

Edited by Asiantravel

About a week or so ago they had signs up prohibiting parking over night along the westerly section running up to the area around where Royal Garden is at least. Fairly early the next morning (possibly throughout the night) they were using jackhammers doing something. In places where they had finished it looked like they had put in a number of small holes from which something ... black rubber or plastic ... showed slightly above the surface. Haven't thought to look since then. At the time it almost looked like they were adding drainage, but drainage into what remains unclear.

At this time of the year thoughts turn to tackling flooding ... with varying degrees of success.

• Like 1

It is because they don't hold the contractors to any standard of due dilligence. They do shit work with no consequences. I live in Jomtien Beach and when they did the new 2nd road there was a section about 500 meters long that didn't get finished for a year because neither contractor was "responsible for it"... Typical 4th world infrastructure. Rhompho Market gets about 3 feet of water during a hard rain as do other places.

About a week or so ago they had signs up prohibiting parking over night along the westerly section running up to the area around where Royal Garden is at least. Fairly early the next morning (possibly throughout the night) they were using jackhammers doing something. In places where they had finished it looked like they had put in a number of small holes from which something ... black rubber or plastic ... showed slightly above the surface. Haven't thought to look since then. At the time it almost looked like they were adding drainage, but drainage into what remains unclear.

At this time of the year thoughts turn to tackling flooding ... with varying degrees of success.

" black rubber or plastic ... showed slightly above the surface "

yes, that's it and it's all still there

Edited by Asiantravel

It is because they don't hold the contractors to any standard of due dilligence. They do shit work with no consequences. I live in Jomtien Beach and when they did the new 2nd road there was a section about 500 meters long that didn't get finished for a year because neither contractor was "responsible for it"... Typical 4th world infrastructure. Rhompho Market gets about 3 feet of water during a hard rain as do other places.

Typical 4th world infrastructure.

Typical Thai Visa bashing without any sense of what the situation is back in Farang Utopia.

asce-bridges.png

Apparently rain in North Yorkshire is an unforeseen event.

Sixth sinkhole in a month as more rain forecast Three houses are evacuated in Ripon, North Yorkshire, amid fears they could collapse, as forecasters predict more rain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10645570/Sixth-sinkhole-in-a-month-as-more-rain-forecasted.html

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

When i first came to Pattaya (all those years ago) you could swim in the potholes in 2nd road after rain.smile.png

First you'd need to locate the potholes beneath the waves ... and you needn't go back many years.

pattaya_flood_3.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Typical Thai Visa bashing without any sense of what the situation is back in Farang Utopia.

asce-bridges.png

Sixth sinkhole in a month as more rain forecast Three houses are evacuated in Ripon, North Yorkshire, amid fears they could collapse, as forecasters predict more rain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10645570/Sixth-sinkhole-in-a-month-as-more-rain-forecasted.html

The fact that not all bridges in America are perfect doesn't mean construction in Thailand is good...it also doesn't mean standards of construction in Thailand can be excused....Thai standards of construction are a lot crappier than in the US, of that I am sure....and by the way, I am not American...but you seem to have chip on your shoulder

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

It's still bad today. It's slowly becoming a motorX track.

If they are pumping what falconsforge said looked like concrete into the pre drilled holes that’s all the way up at Royal Garden Plaza so I can't see how they're going to address that undulating surface near the traffic light junction?blink.png

asce-bridges.png

Apparently rain in North Yorkshire is an unforeseen event.

Agree...you gotta wonder why such wingers came to or choose to stay in such a "4th World" country! Considering the relative levels of economic development, (per capita GDP around US$ 5,500 vs 50,000 [2013 World Bank]) I think Thailand's infrastructure, while certainly not perfect, fares pretty well.

.......But not everybody on Thaivisa comes from a 3rd world infrastructure country like the US of A, Suradit!!!

I'm sure the roads will be better when Thailand has those overall 70-90 percent tax rates found in many countries with really nice roads and bridges (often to nowhere).

It's still bad today. It's slowly becoming a motorX track.

Just travelled along it again today and it's definitely getting worse!sad.png

The part that was already undulating has even deeper undulations and has spread from Royal Garden Plaza down to Mike shopping mall.

I'm no engineer, but It could be that recent heat has caused road sections near the south end to expand, creating buckling and pressure into the next section. That section then pushes onto the next until you end up with a wave like undulating formation that damages the whole road. It could have started at one end and essentially moved further along, like a rope shaken at one end.

• Like 1

I'm no engineer, but It could be that recent heat has caused road sections near the south end to expand, creating buckling and pressure into the next section. That section then pushes onto the next until you end up with a wave like undulating formation that damages the whole road. It could have started at one end and essentially moved further along, like a rope shaken at one end.

Agreed...just about everything bad about Thailand can be put down to the heat! I even blame the coup for the heat...it's so hot in Thailand the the hot-heads in politics could never get cool enough to iron out their differences.