The Worst Party in Asia? (You know it)

I reckon this will be of local interest:

Koh Phangan’s Full Moon Party long ago lost its original innocence, devolving into a mess of drunken foreigners cramming onto a once-beautiful beach to celebrate nothing more than the party itself. But in recent years, things have gotten much worse. There have been rapes, fatal accidents, suicides, and gang-related murders. “In the nine months I lived there, one guy I admired hung himself, while another died drunk-driving his motorbike,” a former expat told me. Meanwhile, the local environment has been decimated. In fact, one’s first taste of the island pleasures that await can be found in the water itself, which glistens with oil and plastic.

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/the-worst-party-in-asia/

Apologies if this has been posted before. I searched and didn't see it.

• Like 1

so why do you ask, if you know the answer. Never mind, you don't have to answer that.

But maybe: Are there some Samui locals thread starting in the Pattaya thread with nothing else than one of thousands of trivial sensational journalism articles from somewhere?

I wasn't questioning your right to post. Just wondering why anyone would post on a topic they have no interest in. Now I get it. Its clear you think I have "invaded" your territory. Don't worry ... you can keep it. I am no threat. I do wish for the locals there sake that not all long term locals are so surly though!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I was at the FMP in 1993, had a great time.

Naturally something that involves more and more people coming each year will become commercialized, people want to make money off of the attraction, normal.

But to call it "the worst party in Asia", seems someone has an axe to grind as thats just over the top.

I also think its fair to say that with a party that attracts anything from between 10000 to 30000 partygoers its going to have the odd serious incident.

• Like 2

So this article comes from a web-site known as slate.com

http://www.samuitimes.com/slate-com-hail-full-moon-party-debauched-depraved-deadly/

Definition - to slate - to harshly criticize.

This is hardly going to be a well balanced critique. whistling.gif

Saying nice things about the full moon party will not sell an a slating web-site. shock1.gif

Better that people come and see for themselves. burp.gif

and Jingthing - thank you for bringing this one to our attention. I did not realise that there were such strange web-sites out there. Amazing what people get up to, but I do not think that I will bookmark this one. Still - interesting to see another point of view.

Please keep on posting

• Like 2

People for at Glastonbury nearly very year

The fact that it is crammed full of people might mean that we don't like them but the people cramming themselves in there like it

It is actually so popular that it is a must do when travellers come to Thailand which means their business goes to samui and koh Tao After

So from a business point of view the tradition is great and would wide famous

People get a stabbed and die and injured at nearly every out door event

Difference is that normally people have to pay to get it

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

If not interested, why post? Excuse me for thinking there might be some local interest. I will know better next time. rolleyes.gif

No problem with spreading the word as to who is writing rubbish as mentioned it is just someone who described full moon as rubbish

Ask the people at the party maybe get a different answer

People who write this really have allot to answer for

Just trying to full space

Next they shall interview some one hat has a decree in what is rubbish

What a load of runny brown sorcer

If not interested, why post? Excuse me for thinking there might be some local interest. I will know better next time. rolleyes.gif

No problem with spreading the word as to who is writing rubbish as mentioned it is just someone who described full moon as rubbish

Ask the people at the party maybe get a different answer

People who write this really have allot to answer for

Just trying to full space

Next they shall interview some one hat has a decree in what is rubbish

What a load of runny brown sorcer

What "runny brown sorcer"? biggrin.png

• Like 1

I was at the FMP in 1993, had a great time.

Naturally something that involves more and more people coming each year will become commercialized, people want to make money off of the attraction, normal.

But to call it "the worst party in Asia", seems someone has an axe to grind as thats just over the top.

Might be young persons slang like bad is great and phat is cool

It might be the basest party in Asia meaning the greatest party

The worst might be new modern day slang the best

I haven't a clue what my daughter is babbling on about now days my teenage one )

Yes Slate is a major American news, culture, and current affairs website, ranked very high on Alexa. Most internet savvy Americans would probably know it. I read it regularly and think very highly of it. Obviously not as a sole source of news but for some alternative viewpoints:

http://www.slate.com/

Also, it is very common for digg.com to have Slate articles in their top rankings.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I wasn't questioning your right to post. Just wondering why anyone would post on a topic they have no interest in. Now I get it. Its clear you think I have "invaded" your territory. Don't worry ... you can keep it. I am no threat. I do wish for the locals there sake that not all long term locals are so surly though!

Sure the locals are going to stand up & get tough. You fired the first salvo with the topic title, you couldn't just leave the Original title, you had to add to.

The Worst Party in Asia? (You know it)

So please don't play all innocent & offended.whistling.gif

Excuse me, but You know it, meant literally You know WHICH party the title refers to BECAUSE this is posted in this local forum and you all certainly know which party would be mentioned in THIS local forum. DUH!

I was just sharing an article. I was not sharing any opinion about the party because I have NO OPINION about the party.

If you have a complaint about the article, contact the author and Slate.

I will go away again. This is clearly a VERY HOSTILE forum for interlopers. In case "you" didn't know that already.

Other "outsiders" BEWARE!

The "natives" are restless. Defensive much?

Enjoy.

Edited by Jingthing

Excuse me, but You know it, meant literally You know WHICH party the title refers to BECAUSE this is posted in this local forum and you all certainly know which party would be mentioned in THIS local forum. DUH!

I was just sharing an article. I was not sharing any opinion about the party because I have NO OPINION about the party.

If you have a complaint about the article, contact the author and Slate.

I will go away again. This is clearly a VERY HOSTILE forum for interlopers. In case "you" didn't know that already.

Other "outsiders" BEWARE!

The "natives" are restless. Defensive much?

Enjoy.

Very humorous reply. I apologize on behalf of the locals if they offended you, me included. ( NOT )

You obviously never gave a second thought that us animals / hostile characters on this forum being offended about a sensationalist article & responding accordingly in the same tone to the topic/ news article .

But I am wrong again, that was the aim of your topic / post from the start, to get that sort of reaction & responses. Let's not kid each other.

So please stop trying to make us out as a bunch of hostile uncivilized hoons..

Yes Slate is a major American news, culture, and current affairs website, ranked very high on Alexa. Most internet savvy Americans would probably know it. I read it regularly and think very highly of it. Obviously not as a sole source of news but for some alternative viewpoints:

http://www.slate.com/

Also, it is very common for digg.com to have Slate articles in their top rankings.

This really does make me feel much happier. thumbsup.gif

Such a biased report. whistling.gif

No mention of the hundreds of thousands of party goers who get home safely every year having had a great time - and yes, they come back! The tens of thousands of boat trips that make the journey every year and the last one sank in 2005! Not a bad safety record from 1987?

Yes - bad things can happen - everywhere.

Anyway - back to the plot.

So - the web site that produces this 'award winning journalism' is read regularly by internet savvy Americans.

Excellent.

Then hopefully those gun carrying, student murdering folk will not be coming to KPN.

Full marks to slate.com for making KPN a safer place.

Seriously Jingthing. I thank you once again for quoting the article. I enjoyed the read. Please keep them coming. wai.gif (Only the Samui/KPN/KT ones of course.)

• Like 2

Is it still a flounce when one makes a dramatic exit from just a sub-forum?

Still. I find it unsettling that a young hoons raving 'rite of passage' on KPG is afforded more social acceptability than the old mongers one in Patts, albeit a seated one.

Ageism is a bugger but maybe an opportunity for a coffin dodgers full-moon knees-up on Koh Larn? Big speakers belting out Barry Manilow between sets of AC-DC for the young uns* amongst us? Lot's of plastic seats too.... and the vista of the dawn brightened beach littered with soiled incontinence pants and crumpled kamagra packets.... Priceless.

* just qualified for their first retirement extension.

• Like 1