Make your own faggots

billd766

I have been looking around for a while to making my own faggots and one thing that has held me up so far is pigs caul to wrap the faggot in.

I went online and found pigs caul then saved that to MS word and also did a Google translation of it.

I then copied a photo as well and sent 'er indoors off to the local market to talk to the local pork lady.

My wife explained what I wanted and the lady eventually got on to her supplier and maybe 500 gm turned up this afternoon for 50 baht.

Now I will defrost the liver and the belly pork but as I am a bit squeamish I will skip the pigs heart.

I found a couple of recipes online and I will try the v02 version.

I have no mushy peas either but out here in rural Thailand it is make do with what you have and either substitute, improvise or skip what I don't have.

Faggots recipe v01.doc

Faggots recipe v02.doc

Caul fat.doc

Be careful Jing does not see this thread or we will see another new thread about discrimination and homophobic use of words smile.png

That's pretty idiotic considering this topic is about a food dish. I have tasted faggots and I don't see the appeal. Chacun a son gout. Pardon my French.

Probably have to grow up with them or something to like them, but at least not as horrible as haggis. I had better karma than that.

Carry on with your cooking. I would probably pay money to not eat faggots!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

add French truffles and just before eating top with Iranian caviar!

Naam,

I'm really not liking the new avatar. You are a much better looking Man in the old one, please change back.

xoxo nd

I second that.

Be careful Jing does not see this thread or we will see another new thread about discrimination and homophobic use of words smile.png

That's pretty idiotic considering this topic is about a food dish. I have tasted faggots and I don't see the appeal. Chacun a son gout. Pardon my French.

Probably have to grow up with them or something to like them, but at least not as horrible as haggis. I had better karma than that.

I was about to suggest haggis using caul, knotted up with string, instead of sheep bladder, just need to get the barley and spices.

The others can go to BKK Soi 4 for their faggots.

As we're getting a la mode, the worst thing I have ever eaten was Andouillette (spelling about right?). Forever remembered as sh*t sausage, with reason.

Unfortunately I was the guest and the French family cooked it over the home hearth. Had to swallow my, err, pride, and the rest.

Naam,

I'm really not liking the new avatar. You are a much better looking Man in the old one, please change back.

xoxo nd

stupid stubborn software doesn't let me change and is distorting my beautiful Klingon face. i have tried a dozen times, but to no avail. any advice?

i am slightly agitated and will sue George for all the cookies he owns!

Worf%20angry.jpg

Edited by Naam

Naam,

xoxo nd

stupid stubborn software doesn't let me change and is distorting my beautiful Klingon face. i have tried a dozen times, but to no avail. any advice?

I think you're a total snogmonster. If your wife ever gets tired of you just tweak my winkle rolleyes.gif

now you are talking my food started making faggots when I worked for a yr.for woodly's the butchers[1960] every tues I would put just about everything through the mincer,sheeps and pigs inners known as lites,the windpipes,stale bread,packets of sage and onion stuffing mix just about anything.then take the trays of faggots to the bakery to be cooked.the peas had been soaked overnight,pick the faggots up at miday then by 4pm.not one left.

as the op loves his faggots surely he must love brawn I make it every 2months,brawn,fresh bread and HP brown sauce.

both the recipes were taken from a copy of a 1930s cook book of a famous lady anyone know her name?

GOT IT MRS.BEATON.

Edited by meatboy

Billd766 thanks for the OP...Going to give these a go.

In the N-E UK we call them Savoury Ducks.

Mushy Peas...I dream of mushy peas me.

I find a good substitute for them is Chick Peas (Garbanzo or Gazebo beans as they are sometimes called)

Only thing is, is the colour...sometimes yellow doesn’t look good with some foods...Like fish and chips etc...

(Got to please the eye before you please the stomach)

I have just read recently that the tinned peas here are a good substitute also (ucl brand or uni or something like that)

Will give them a try when we go shopping.

I’m like you also, it’s a case of make do and mend.

Cheers,

Hace a Nive Day.

now you are talking my food started making faggots when I worked for a yr.for woodly's the butchers[1960] every tues I would put just about everything through the mincer,sheeps and pigs inners known as lites,the windpipes,stale bread,packets of sage and onion stuffing mix just about anything.then take the trays of faggots to the bakery to be cooked.the peas had been soaked overnight,pick the faggots up at miday then by 4pm.not one left.

as the op loves his faggots surely he must love brawn I make it every 2months,brawn,fresh bread and HP brown sauce.

both the recipes were taken from a copy of a 1930s cook book of a famous lady anyone know her name?

GOT IT MRS.BEATON.

Well you’ve done it now,

Brawn…that’s another craving I’ve got now,… must make some soon.

Me Mam had 2 cook books…Mrs Beaten and the Bero book, and all her

cooking was to die for.

I managed to download a copy of a 1920s bero book. Excellent it is.

Yes all the ‘Ls’ used to go into faggots…Lites, Lips, Lugs and labia.

My Uncle was a butcher by the way.

Cheers

Have a Nice Day.

I will make a big batch especially for you and then make a selfie video. If you don't pay me 10,000 baht I will claim it is you eating them.

One thing worse than haggis is deep fried haggis that I tried once in Scotland. I am sure that is against the UN conventions of biological warfare.

• Like 2

GOT IT MRS.BEATON.

OMG!!

My dear old mum used to sometimes buy brawn and make sandwiches just as you say. Lovely brawn from Pork Farms, fresh good bread and HP brown sauce (made in Birmingham then not the current Dutch version). She made her own to on occasion.

Faggots, black pudding, pork pies, real cheeses, steak and kidney puddings, bread and butter puddings, and all those lovely sweet and savory pies and haggis.

The tripe in Thailand is good and they prepare it in more ways than my mum did.

My missus loved all the above apart from black pudding when in the UK.

Now off for my lunch - som tam poo pra rha and sticky rice!

I find a good substitute for them is Chick Peas (Garbanzo or Gazebo beans as they are sometimes called)

Only thing is, is the colour...sometimes yellow doesn’t look good with some foods...Like fish and chips etc...

I have just read recently that the tinned peas here are a good substitute also (ucl brand or uni or something like that)

Cheers,

Hace a Nive Day.

The NE. Made me think of a savloy dip - with peas pudding, stuffing and all that juice!

Fish and chips - at Skeggy, Yarmouth or Blackpool - them were the days!

• Like 1

We New Zealanders are known for being practical and sensible people. We continue to fool the Brits into believing we like our Commonwealth apron strings, but in facts it's really only about our beef, lamb and butter exports. The Brits swallow it. During our formative years, we picked the best of British (a short list, sadly), and threw out the rest. When someone wanted to make faggots or haggis, we handed them over to the warring Maori tribes. It seemed a sensible solution. However the Maori tribes revolted and tried to hand them back. We said no. The price of learning to cook hangi pizza from our Italian migrants is to find a solution to the haggis/faggot problem. The Maoris were no fools, so they took their war paint, striped the haggis/fagot cooks and called them Prisoners of Mother England and shipped them off to Tasmania in inter-continental, spar-rigged canoes. And that's why, to this day, the only place in the Southern Hemisphere where you can buy haggis or faggots is Tasmania.

• Like 2

Cheers,

Hace a Nive Day.

you call them savoury ducks eh,well why not give us a recipe for stoti cakes and ash.

one tip if making brawn as its always hot in the kitchen get some gelatin[home fresh] sells packets of leaves.

using just trotters to make the jelly you will find it melts easy so gelatin is a must otherwise it wont slice.

and good old fashion bread pudding,you might have to dry your own orange/lemon peel as I haven't found any.

• Like 1

We New Zealanders are known for being practical and sensible people. We continue to fool the Brits into believing we like our Commonwealth apron strings, but in facts it's really only about our beef, lamb and butter exports. The Brits swallow it. During our formative years, we picked the best of British (a short list, sadly), and threw out the rest. When someone wanted to make faggots or haggis, we handed them over to the warring Maori tribes. It seemed a sensible solution. However the Maori tribes revolted and tried to hand them back. We said no. The price of learning to cook hangi pizza from our Italian migrants is to find a solution to the haggis/faggot problem. The Maoris were no fools, so they took their war paint, striped the haggis/fagot cooks and called them Prisoners of Mother England and shipped them off to Tasmania in inter-continental, spar-rigged canoes. And that's why, to this day, the only place in the Southern Hemisphere where you can buy haggis or faggots is Tasmania.

so that's why a famous nz.rugby coach who was a personal friend of mine in the uk. used to love his faggots and peas.

they tell me the brown trout fishing in nz.is fairly good.

Edited by meatboy