Importing a caravan from a Chinese supplier via Alibaba

rodger

I want to import a caravan purchased from Alibaba into Thailand. We have a fiend who imported this particular model into NZ and a very satisfied with the quality and price.

Does anyone have experience with the process and cost of importing a caravan or trailer from a Alibaba supplier?

I have no idea .... but I think you could be opening a can of worms...i'd love to know how you get on.

have you also considered the law regarding caravans in Thailand? Registering it, towing it AND parking it up overnight etc.?

There was a chap outside Pattaya on Bkk - Trat road who had several second-hand caravans in various conditions, you might try to contact him.

If you fail and decide on a trailer tent, send me a PM.

Think about one of these? I saw it at a show a few years ago there were people all over it, it was respectably priced and well laid out. Definitely less hassle then importing probably cheaper too, the one you're seeking can't be that cheap so as to account for import and everything and be cheaper then this one.

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome/

Hard to follow the lingo. He asked for a caravan the listing I gave is for a caravan in Thailand attempting use the lingo commonly used by the British which I thought meant trailer too but like the Thai's , often times one word is used for multiple terms but not specifically defined. I would call the one I posted a motor home (RV) too and trailer a trailer (or caravan) but the site listing is a caravan and likely uses British English for the translation so which is it he's looking for? Motor home or trailer? I think what is listed there is perfect sizing for Thailand roads.

So nonsense then? whistling.gif When having a conversation with someone we don't feel the need to be told the difference between trailers and trailers. Instead we use what is called context clues and that pretty much easily defines the topic. As in this case if he was looking for a "caravan" it's easy for me to deduce that he means something to camp in on the road so obviously a trailer IF he doesn't mean an RV, but flat bed or sided trailer would never enter my mind... wai.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

I imported a caravan for a client a few years ago. If you want any info you can pm me

Could you share how much the tax was? I've heard that's the #1 issue regarding bringing in vehicles. A tax sometimes equaling the cost of the vehicle.

OP: does it have AC? If not, it's going to be bloody hot. And if so, how are you going to power it?

There are some suppliers here, but seems you've already bought it.

I imported a caravan for a client a few years ago. If you want any info you can pm me

Could you share how much the tax was? I've heard that's the #1 issue regarding bringing in vehicles. A tax sometimes equaling the cost of the vehicle.

OP: does it have AC? If not, it's going to be bloody hot. And if so, how are you going to power it?

There are some suppliers here, but seems you've already bought it.

Tax and duties was approx $25,000 for a small 2nd hand caravan. We didn't pay taxes

Just a word of warning: Not everyone on Alibaba is honest. You really need to cross check any company names with multiple sources, check web site details and remember to contact the company through their official web site at least once. If you contact the company, and they refer you back to the Alibaba contact (who maybe an agent) their probably OK.

If you get to the stage where they send you an invoice and it's not the same company name on the invoice....you are not dealing with the company who made the goods. You really need to deal with the manufacturer of the goods, not 3rd parties.

I've had my fingers burned once.....US$3500. That was with a shipping agent.

I have 3 reliable suppliers who send me good with a better than 97% pass rate for quality, which means I can have my warehouse guy do a 1 in 20 quality check. I have 2 new suppliers with goods on the water now. First shipment is 1 in 4 QC until I know their trustworthy. If defects are 6 out of 20 we open all the boxes!

Another company in the same street had a complete container load listed as defective! They sent the container back to China.

Be Careful!

Really? We have trailers with hydraulic brakes here.. Tongue brakes have a little reservoir on top of the brake master with brake fluid in it on the tongue and when the inertia of the trailer shifts it depresses the master. Admittedly they aren't as popular as once was since magnetic brakes came out. Mostly used on boat trailers as the water would kill electric brakes. I guess newer caravan type trailers wouldn't have those though in hind sight but for some reason it's the first thing that came to my mind. They also have them on rental trailers as they are self contained and can transfer to any vehicle and have their own brakes with a any mods needed.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Our modern ones are still ...tongue.pngwhistling.gif But I guess you get my meaning and why I said what I did initially. Still I get your meaning but really hydraulic systems are ideal for those applications as they are self contained and require no extra investment or complicated electronics to be installed and maintained, just hook up and go. BTW your AV needs a waxing..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^ Would appear it might be regional or national. With American/Australians favouring electric brakes, whereas Europeans use inertia/overrun braking. May also be size related.

So everyone is correct.

Ermm I'm American Neal, still in heavy use here.. Usually electric brakes are used on larger, heavier cargo or transport trailers I.E. car trailers for example as there is to much inertia and the loads vary in weight so they can have sudden lockups, unless really big then it's air brakes. Anyway not arguing, just sharing info. ..

Our modern ones are still ...tongue.pngwhistling.gif But I guess you get my meaning and why I said what I did initially. Still I get your meaning but really hydraulic systems are ideal for those applications as they are self contained and require no extra investment or complicated electronics to be installed and maintained, just hook up and go. BTW your AV needs a waxing..

Mechanical operated discs (or drums) are popular. same deal nothing else required just hook up and go and not need to worry about fluid loss.

A-frame%20brake%20setup.jpg

Thanks everyone. I am specifically looking at a caravan that is towed behind a vehicle. Most trailers towed by cars in NZ have the inertia hydraulic systems. Seems towing trailers is not very popular with the widespread use of pickups in Thailand.

One use I have for the "caravan" is a food cart or hotdog cart rather than used as a mobile home. The intention would be to tow the caravan to each location and have the vehicle free to move out of the way from the food selling and eating area.

These arrangements are very common in NZ at markets where food and other sellers set up their stalls.

I was hoping to see if anyone had imported a vehicle of this type into LOS and what the tax was so I could work out if it was economical to do so. I have looked at the Thai customs web site but cannot find any reference to a trailer or caravan. I am also very keen to see if there are local manufacturers.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well like I said check out the Carryboy website and maybe even give them a call, they manufacture locally and seem to be able to manufacturer what you're looking for if not have one in stock, probably more reasonable than importing.

Rodger it sounds like you want what we refer to in the uk as a catering trailer rather than a caravan. Probably much cheaper to import/buy locally a box trailer and have it locally fitted out to your spec inc. a side serving hatch.

You may check this link: http://www.caravansthailand.com/

Somewhere in Chonburi is a guy who imports caravans from Europe. Couple of years ago shop was on Highway 36 left side, from Rayong to Pattaya behind the old Esso station.

Now there is only one caravan left in front of that building, but the guy must still be in business as I saw him on TV couple of month ago promoting his business.

You want to build something like this, right?
8814506.jpg

Why not, thats a eyecatcher in Thailand. But I would check carryboy as well they have pick up kiosks and trailers too.

bg_mazda_car_eng.png

inthanin2.jpg

http://www.carryboytrailer.com/special/

Last year on bahtsold, 8 month old - 150.000 THB:

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/mobile-food-kiosk-trailer-125944

Edited by uwe_rayong

• 1 year later...

In the first post above there is link to a map that shows the general location, Click on the highlighted "Esso" there is a link there, but the webpage link doesn't work anymore so no idea if the company being referenced is still there? There have been threads here that have had a few links to trailer sellers and hitch installers, but maybe someone else has an idea how to bring one up I can't remember the topics and a search does not bring up anything for me.

Edited by WarpSpeed