Short holiday in Siem Reap

corkman

Hi All,

So, I'm a bit stuck for time. Got 2-3 days. Would love to see Wat Ankor. Is there anything else worth visiting in Siem Reap? There's several flgihts per day from Bangkok (where I live) so I am wondering is it best to fly in early (lands at 09.10am) check in to the hotel and spend the rest of day 1 "exploring" (enter reocmmended activity here). Then day 2 get up early an visit Wat Ankor. Fly back lunch time day 3.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts, experience, and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on how interested you are in Khmer history, 1 day in the Angkor Archaeo-logical Park should suffice. I suggest you get up REALLY early on the day and get there in time to see the sun rise over AW. Do some "Googling" before hand, there is loads of info out there on the various temples. Buy a guide book when you get to Cambodia otherwise... I seem to recall they were about 5 USD in 2011

This site is very helpful IMO http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srstarted.htm. Oh and I suggest that you book a taxi or Tuk-Tuk the day before, let him pick you up from your hotel and stay with you the whole day... that way you have personal transport smile.png

As for the rest of SR, there's a market and some very good restaurants and bars for your evenings relaxation. I didn't find any night life as such but then I wasn't looking for it. Have a good trip.... I did.

Edited by VBF

Yes worth the visit;

pick up the guide "Ancient Angkor" all the kids sell them ($5-10)

one day pass is $20

Visit the Museum in town BEFORE you go, well worth the cost of admission.

A visit to the villages on stiles on the lake ( Kampong Phluk) is also worth it

tuk tuk/day 5am- .... $13-15/day

Note if u go to the park at 4:30 u can get in for free and than but your ticket for the next day so for the price u get 2 sunsets!!

Don't get up for the sunrise as there isn't any most days at the moment.

Personally, I do not think one day is enough for Angkor.

Tuk-tuks have becole a little more expensive, USD 18.00 - 20.00 a day.

They stopped the being able to go in the evening before at one stage, not sure if that is still the case (after 5 years here, i do not get stopped anymore:-).

Floating village is nice to visit but chose wisely as some of them are tourist traps. There is nightlife but it caters more to Khmer and Backpackers.

Personally, I avoid Pub Street like the plague but there are plenty of places away from it.

PM if you need restaurant or bar recommendations. I eat out a lot and there are few restaurants I haven't tried....

are you saying they don't stop and ask for your ticket before you enter a temple? ( yes u can enter the area for free but not a temple)

I have photographer friends ant tour agents friends that have been there 10 years an still need the pass.

agree 1 day is very tight, ( just visit Angkor wat an the Bayon)

but better than nothing

are you saying they don't stop and ask for your ticket before you enter a temple? ( yes u can enter the area for free but not a temple)

I have photographer friends ant tour agents friends that have been there 10 years an still need the pass.

agree 1 day is very tight, ( just visit Angkor wat an the Bayon)

but better than nothing

No, just to go running and cycling, not to visit the temples.

It was a big pain when I first came here. As you say, access to the are is theoretically open to all, but the guards are not aware of that.

I thought the place was charming and cheap. April this yr.) I loved Pub street ; draught beer @ $2/3. I thought tuktuks (for 4) very reasonable. We spent a fascinating chunk of a day at a silk farm 20/30 kms out of town.

PM if you need restaurant or bar recommendations. I eat out a lot and there are few restaurants I haven't tried....

Have you been there?

A positive comment is appreciated to be made here, a negative in PM.wink.png

Owner is a fellow country man, I know.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297390-d3365043-Reviews-Schnitzel_Wirtin-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html

Have you been there?

A positive comment is appreciated to be made here, a negative in PM.wink.png

Owner is a fellow country man, I know.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297390-d3365043-Reviews-Schnitzel_Wirtin-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html

Absolute fantastic value for money, I have yet to finish a portion there. Though I have not spent much time in Germany, genetics come through every so often and I feel like a massive "Schnitzel" with "Kartoffelsalat". Shame about the location as he has no walk-in guests. Oh, and my Dad is Austrian, he eats there at least once when he visits (he lives in Africa and no Austrian food where he is).

Oh, and my Dad is Austrian, he eats there at least once when he visits (he lives in Africa and no Austrian food where he is).

=hanno=

Thank you for your positive respond. So a Austrian get-together should be arranged.

You, your father the Austrian restaurateur and me. wink.png

I have just came back from Siam Reap... Yes Angor Watt is a must. As for,the Village tour on the Lake, to be honest they tried to com us, gave us a hard lucky story, blah blah and on the way back asked if we would like to donate to the local school which I was all for, just before we got,there, they stopped the boat of at a house boat and asked if we would buy rice for the school starting at 60 dollars ???? When I said I would rather make a donation they said the teachers would keep the money ?? Anyway, it went down hill from here, it was an ovcious com. So I said no, once we got to,the school there was no donation box, anyway, gave the teacher 10 dollars and promptly told the guy to take ius back to the mainland..... Honestly left a sour taste in my mouth, DEFINETLY tried to com us, so beware of that boat trip with the hard lucky stories...

Apart from that Dian Reap was Ok would not want to live in Cambodia it's about 50 years behind Thailand, and as for the driving they do drive slower that the that but still very dangerous...

It all depends on WHAT village you visit, there are more than one an the one closest to sr is usually the worst,

I always go to Kampong Phluk an never had any cons, scams or trouble or saw any other tourists.

Just came back from Kampong Phluk were we had a clean-up campaign. The place to go, people are nice and none of the scams you have in other floating villages. There is one that is even better, but I am not telling....

• 3 weeks later...

Back one week now from my first trek into Siem Reap.

My hotel (7 clicks from AW) had many tuk-tuk drivers available at $15 a day. We left at 4:45AM, cleared the ticket booth, and still had plenty of time for beautiful light on Angkor Wat.

The most popular ticket is $40 for three days, and unless you're running the entire time, that's the way to go. After midday, the weather makes it impossible to enjoy the sites, so I recommend hitting the pool, having a cocktail, and enjoying some good food. At sunset, walk down the river to the markets and Pub Street. It's worth a look.

Angkor and Wat Thom make Thailand look pale by comparison, and the food in SR is of a much higher standard as well. It's a great place to visit, and even in low season it's a booming town.

Hi All,

We are 3 pax (2 English men, 1 with Thai wife) arriving into SR at lunch-time on Sunday next, departing for PP Tuesday a.m..

We would be grateful for suggestions/advice on how to spend our time, where to go to, where to eat.

Thanks in advance.

Obviously, the temples are a must. That will take up at least a whole day.

What sort of food are you looking for? There are no good Thai restaurants but everything else is readily available.

Thai food not necessary.

Can eat anything.

Not first visit to Cambodia, but first to SR.

Good, typical Cambodian food, not too expensive?

For the temples, is it best to hire a tuk-tuk / guide for the day?

How is the weather?

Thank you.

It all depends on WHAT village you visit, there are more than one an  the one closest to sr is usually the worst,

I always go to Kampong Phluk an never had any cons,  scams or trouble or saw any other tourists.

First visit I also got ripped off at the main boat station at the top of the Tonle Sap.

Kompong Klaeng is OK nut Kompong Phluk is the best I have seen.

[attachment=276639:DSC05355.jpg]

my advice; avoid ANYWHERE mentioned in lonely planet or on trip advisor!!

PS the little min hot dogs with chile at kfc for $1 are great as well  :-)

Whilst certainly true sometimes, it is not always like that; two of the best Khmer restaurants are in the LP and on TA. They did not let it go to their heads though.

my advice; avoid ANYWHERE mentioned in lonely planet or on trip advisor!!

PS the little min hot dogs with chile at kfc for $1 are great as well  :-)

That is one of your very few nonsense posts !

Trip Advisor, at least, is a good start point.- especially for hotels. BUT, read the reports and see who they are coming from - an annual tourist will be coming from a different perspective to a long-term expat.

OK, so the top rated restaurant appears to be a cup cake cafe - but they have it right with The Haven at number 2.

I try to always avoid places mentioned anywhere in LP an I never read TA until after i have come back for somewhere and add my $/.05 worth

an prefer to try different restaurants an hotels, and ask locals or friends where they eat & visit, stay , I guess for a tourist its different if u dont have friends that travel alot

true , sometimes disappointing but many times i get real gems

PLUS i am a firm believer of spreading my money to new places that LP has not yet made it too.

Lats trip i just came back from was Mandalay an Bagan an Mogok in Myanmar last week and found lots of things to new to be in LP or even on ta cause all the tourists seem to eat and stay ONLY in places that they read about. ;-(

Over the years it has paid off well for me

Edited by phuketrichard