Telephone

northernjohn

I have a cheap phone that I bought 8 years ago when I first came to visit Thailand. I was considering upgrading to a new phone. Not looking for a big list of aps. Free ones are OK.

The main reason I am looking for a new one is to find one I can turn the volume of the phone and the ringer up. Also I would very much like to get better reception and I don't know if any phone makes a difference in that department using them all from the same location. Was thinking in the 5,000 to 6,000 baht range if those things are better than what I have particularly the reception is it consistent.

I realize that at times it is not my phone it is there's. As my friend in Pai will call me and it soon fades out. I call him back and we have no problem.

Any suggestions appreciated.

John, I noticed www.ais.co.th has a wide range of phones for sale on their website.

To be honest with you I am not that tech savvy.

I was kind of hoping for some one who has had experience with telephones in the area I am interested in.Reception and loudness or clearness of sound.

But I will have a look at them.

Volume and reception varies so much phone to phone that it is really impossible to make general recommendations. Best thing is to ask friends about their individual phones. Most "Name" brand phones sold today are well within the acceptable range.

When you set up a new Android phone, in the "Incoming Calls, Ringtone" section you will be offered an "Outdoor" option for ring volumes. This is generally louder than "Normal" ringtone volume. Also, most phones will have a long list of various ringtones you can audition and select. If you pick a tone with some sharp, loud peak sounds, you will be more likely to hear it over street noise. Don't pick a soft, melodious tone if your hearing isn't sharp,

My LENOVO phone has a setting that senses when the phone is in a pocket and raises the ring volume accordingly. Other brands may have this same feature.

There is currently a very large selection of very decent Android and Windows phones in many screen sizes within your stated price range. Unfortunately, it is usually not possible to "test drive" a phone in advance of purchase but any decent model will probably fit your needs. If you look back in the "Internet/Mobile Devices forum on this website, you will find many recommendations for inexpensive "I-Mobile" phones from satisfied users.

Look for a phone whose size and form factor appeals to you. Try to get one with at least 1gb RAM and 4Gb internal memory. Also buy an auxiliary Micro SD memory card of at least 8gb.

If you do not have a friend to show you how to use your new phone, you can find many tutorials searching YouTube.

BTW, AIS does sell a number of inexpensive Android phones that include an AIS account starting at less than B2000.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1