Gunmen attack mosque in Pattani

webfact

One dies in gun attack at mosque

PATTANI: -- A 66- year-old local was killed and another injured when gunmen opened fire into a mosque at Thamuong village in Panare district of Pattani Monday morning.

Uma Saramae, the father of the mosque’s imam, or a local religious leader died, died and an assistant village headman Toning Tohuamuang was injured. He was admitted to Panare district hospital for treatment.

Police are investigating who or which group of people was responsible for the attack.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-dies-gun-attack-musjid/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-30

jaidam post # 3.

What is it with local muslims that make them behave like animals? The Islamic states and caliphates in the rest of the world seem to exist in supreme harmony, peace and prosperity earning Islam the moniker "religion of peace". Come on Thai Islamists, stop letting your religion down.

I wonder what Jaidam read.

Muslims were the victims here.. maybe the perpetrators too.. but it could be a Buddhist para military group too or just normal criminals. Some people see Muslim in a text and go blind to the context and post based on their convictions.

I have to agree with you it did not say who was responsible. With my bias against Islam it would be easy to blame them as killing a Muslim is not a problem to them.

But I can easily see where another group of people could well have done it in what they perceive as revenge.

This is an area that the coup has made some changes in dealing with it but in my opinion they are going to have to drop the military approach to solving the problem and work to earning the trust of the common law abiding citizens.

Not sure but I believe the Democrats had made some progress in that area.

Much as it hurts me to say it. I believe that Yingluck could have gone far in achieving a rapport with them. She obviously felt different or didn't care.

Edited by metisdead

jaidam post # 3

What is it with local muslims that make them behave like animals? The Islamic states and caliphates in the rest of the world seem to exist in supreme harmony, peace and prosperity earning Islam the moniker "religion of peace". Come on Thai Islamists, stop letting your religion down.

One is led to wonder whether it is all due to local or non local Muslims. In my experience of Muslims I've always found them decent down to earth sorts as is the case with many other creeds too.Yes there are extremists in all areas of religious s beliefs and other groups social or political, sport etc .
Plenty of evidence of anti abortion religious characters attacking staff at abortion clinics along with arson attacks, bigotry is not limited to one group.
However any discontent as may be stirred up could in the eye and minds of those involved in the attack embarrass the junta a little more and of course prompt outbursts of self righteous indignation among the western world. All rather interesting propaganda if one looks at it with more than one eye and an open mind. However bear in mind that now as from Sunday 29th of June in fact Ramadan is now upon Muslims and peace normally prevails.
One wonders whether, something, someone, somewhere is trying to engineer an ''action replay'' scenario. whistling.gif
Remember it didn't concern Thaksin when the 78 Thai Muslims died as a result of being''weak'' due to Ramadan fasting.whistling.gif

1 killed, 1 wounded in Pattani mosque attack
By Digital Content

PATTANI, June 30 -- One man was killed and another was wounded in a gun attack in Thailand’s restive southern province of Pattani on Monday.

An unknown number of gunmen opened fire into a mosque in Ban Tha Muang village in Pattani’s Panare district where a number of Muslims were attending morning prayers.

The shooting killed a 66-year-old man, father of a Muslim imam, and wounded a 47-year-old assistant village head who was taken to Panare Hospital. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-30

Whilst I have been/ am a big fan of NCPO to date. When are they going to do something about the problems is the south ? I understand it is a very complicated situation but they don't even seem to have a policy on it. Why don't they move their successful weapons seizure operations down there where it is so desperately needed ? I am sure the caches they could seize down there would dwarf that of what they have done throughout the rest of the country.

jaidam post # 3.

Muslims were the victims here.. maybe the perpetrators too.. but it could be a Buddhist para military group too or just normal criminals. Some people see Muslim in a text and go blind to the context and post based on their convictions.

I have to agree with you it did not say who was responsible. With my bias against Islam it would be easy to blame them as killing a Muslim is not a problem to them.

But I can easily see where another group of people could well have done it in what they perceive as revenge.

This is an area that the coup has made some changes in dealing with it but in my opinion they are going to have to drop the military approach to solving the problem and work to earning the trust of the common law abiding citizens.

Much as it hurts me to say it. I believe that Yingluck could have gone far in achieving a rapport with them. She obviously felt different or didn't care.

When Yingluck came to power she did say she was willing to negotiate some form of autonomy / provincial self governance. The military refused to co-operate on the basis of loyalty to "Nation, Religion, King" (represented by the Thai Flag)

Way too many variables to guess why the killings happened, could be killing informer, settling business / political dispute etc etc

Edited by simple1

Man shot dead in Thailand mosque attack: police

BANGKOK, June 30, 2014 (AFP) - Gunmen opened fire at a mosque in insurgency-hit southern Thailand Monday, killing one man and injuring another a day after Muslims began observing the holy month of Ramadan, police said.

The pre-dawn attack by suspected militants in Pattani province appeared to target a Muslim deputy village chief but instead fatally wounded a 66-year-old man after morning prayers, said Police Lieutenant Colonel Somchai Janyoung.

"The man died at hospital after suffering two gunshot wounds at the mosque, he was the father of the imam (mosque's leader). The deputy village chief escaped with minor injuries to his leg," Somchai said.

He could not clarify exactly how many gunmen were at the scene.

Thailand's three Muslim-majority southernmost provinces are in the grip of a decade-long insurgency which has seen more than 6,000 people killed -- the majority of them civilians.

The rebels are fighting for a level of autonomy, accusing Thai authorities of riding roughshod over their distinct culture and carrying out human rights abuses.

These grievances are frequently seized upon by militants as a reason for targeted killings of Buddhist and Muslim representatives of the Thai state, including teachers, government officials and security forces.

The fasting month of Ramadan is sacred for the world's estimated 1.6 billion Muslims because it is during that month that tradition says the Koran was revealed to the Prophet Mohammed.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-30

jaidam post # 3.

Why should Yingluck or any other Buddhist care. The Muslims appear very adapt and happy to keep killing each other off around the world. So let them get on with it. If that's what makes them happy. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Muslims killing Muslims? Possible, but I doubt it in this case. I'd wager that this attack was made by a private non-Muslim on local Muslims not to persecute Islam, but as some kind of retribution, possibly for some loved one(s) killed in the many Muslim attacks in the area.

Whilst I feel for the victims' families and would hate to see what I would turn into and do to any group that would murder my family, this kind of attack will only aggravate the situation. The military should be the ones to take charge to clean up or clean out the Muslim problem down south before it turns into a civil ethnic war.

jaidam post # 3.

I think you've been eating too much of your Edam, my friend; a Buddhist pare Military group" is, by its own virtue, a contradiction-in-terms. Seriously; can you offer even one (1) example of "Buddhist Violence" ? ? ?

coffee1.gif

jaidam post # 3.

I think you've been eating too much of your Edam, my friend; a Buddhist pare Military group" is, by its own virtue, a contradiction-in-terms. Seriously; can you offer even one (1) example of "Buddhist Violence" ? ? ?

coffee1.gif

Google the events in Myanmar last year. Not real peace loving Buddhists then.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

Tons of religious bigotry here and not one creative suggestion: give these people the autonomy they ask for and deserve, not just more BS-- (somebody else's) 'Nation, Religion, King'. And no, I will not monitor responses to this post. I have better things to do.

• Like 1

Oh do wake up. Islamist's all over the world take pleasure in killing innocents every day. If they are asked to justify their actions, rather than explain they will kill.

Even in South Thailand thousands have been killed. Religion of peace, rubbish.

jaidam post # 3

One is led to wonder whether it is all due to local or non local Muslims. In my experience of Muslims I've always found them decent down to earth sorts as is the case with many other creeds too.Yes there are extremists in all areas of religious s beliefs and other groups social or political, sport etc .
Plenty of evidence of anti abortion religious characters attacking staff at abortion clinics along with arson attacks, bigotry is not limited to one group.
However any discontent as may be stirred up could in the eye and minds of those involved in the attack embarrass the junta a little more and of course prompt outbursts of self righteous indignation among the western world. All rather interesting propaganda if one looks at it with more than one eye and an open mind. However bear in mind that now as from Sunday 29th of June in fact Ramadan is now upon Muslims and peace normally prevails.
One wonders whether, something, someone, somewhere is trying to engineer an ''action replay'' scenario. whistling.gif
Remember it didn't concern Thaksin when the 78 Thai Muslims died as a result of being''weak'' due to Ramadan fasting.whistling.gif

Amazing, you still managed to get Thaksin in there...cheesy.gif

• Like 1

That is that for saying Muslims are the aggressor, seems the ordinary people are always the victims of extremists.

Indeed, so many "ordinary people" suffer needlessly. I don't think I understand what you mean by "that is that for saying Muslims are the aggressor." Its such curious statement that I am intrigued. Are you saying that non-muslims must have been the perpetrators? The jury is out... muslims are not "the aggressor?" If you've the time, please advise. Thanks.

I think my aging disables me from noting sarcasm as often as it appears; is this sarcasm? First, there are no "caliphates," and it wouldn't be plural if there was. Of course, this is the goal of Islamists, at least Sunni. The Shia wait for the Madhi. Yet if sarcastic, there should be a hint of truth to enable the sarcasm. There is no "supreme harmony, peace and prosperity" anywhere in the Islamic world. Since 9/11 there have been 23,285 terrorist attacks claimed by "the religion of peace."

In two days of Ramadan, 2014, there have been 15 terrorist attacks, 100 dead, and 78 wounded. This data is derived from multiple sources processing local news stories throughout the Islamic world. The Religion of Peace is more accurately described in its arabic to "Surrender." Sounds kinda wonderful, doesn't it? To so believe that one surrenders into communion with their god? Yet the surrender intended is very here and now, as Islam offers no surrender to their dualist concept of deity. Indeed, this is why Sufi runs afoul of Sunni and Shia. The surrender does not only apply to adherents of the faith, but to everyone! Everywhere!

They kill each other and others because it is a duty, sometimes explicit, but clearly authorized. Whether southern Thailand or anywhere else on earth, no progress will be made to halt the expansion of such ideology and hatred until it is first recognized, and declared for what it is. As long as people continue to delude themselves, disregard history and the valuable lessons it offers, then we will be doomed to experience this butchery and heinous humanity on increasingly greater scales.

• Like 1

what is it with ignorant people who come up with ridiculous assumptions that Muslims in southern Thailand attacked a mosque?

come on man, stop shooting your own foot and get a life! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Man shot dead in Thailand mosque attack: police

BANGKOK, June 30, 2014 (AFP) - Gunmen opened fire at a mosque in insurgency-hit southern Thailand Monday, killing one man and injuring another a day after Muslims began observing the holy month of Ramadan, police said.

The pre-dawn attack by suspected militants in Pattani province appeared to target a Muslim deputy village chief but instead fatally wounded a 66-year-old man after morning prayers, said Police Lieutenant Colonel Somchai Janyoung.

"The man died at hospital after suffering two gunshot wounds at the mosque, he was the father of the imam (mosque's leader). The deputy village chief escaped with minor injuries to his leg," Somchai said.

He could not clarify exactly how many gunmen were at the scene.

Thailand's three Muslim-majority southernmost provinces are in the grip of a decade-long insurgency which has seen more than 6,000 people killed -- the majority of them civilians.

The rebels are fighting for a level of autonomy, accusing Thai authorities of riding roughshod over their distinct culture and carrying out human rights abuses.

These grievances are frequently seized upon by militants as a reason for targeted killings of Buddhist and Muslim representatives of the Thai state, including teachers, government officials and security forces.

The fasting month of Ramadan is sacred for the world's estimated 1.6 billion Muslims because it is during that month that tradition says the Koran was revealed to the Prophet Mohammed.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-30

Makes one wonder.

If it wasn't these grievances would people like the terrorists just find other reasons?

jaidam post # 3

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/news

You are so full of shit look at what the Muslims are doing in Iraq now all because they want there own bigoted law . About time someone stood up to them. All they preach is poison.

I think my aging disables me from noting sarcasm as often as it appears; is this sarcasm? First, there are no "caliphates," and it wouldn't be plural if there was. Of course, this is the goal of Islamists, at least Sunni. The Shia wait for the Madhi. Yet if sarcastic, there should be a hint of truth to enable the sarcasm. There is no "supreme harmony, peace and prosperity" anywhere in the Islamic world. Since 9/11 there have been 23,285 terrorist attacks claimed by "the religion of peace."

In two days of Ramadan, 2014, there have been 15 terrorist attacks, 100 dead, and 78 wounded. This data is derived from multiple sources processing local news stories throughout the Islamic world. The Religion of Peace is more accurately described in its arabic to "Surrender." Sounds kinda wonderful, doesn't it? To so believe that one surrenders into communion with their god? Yet the surrender intended is very here and now, as Islam offers no surrender to their dualist concept of deity. Indeed, this is why Sufi runs afoul of Sunni and Shia. The surrender does not only apply to adherents of the faith, but to everyone! Everywhere!

They kill each other and others because it is a duty, sometimes explicit, but clearly authorized. Whether southern Thailand or anywhere else on earth, no progress will be made to halt the expansion of such ideology and hatred until it is first recognized, and declared for what it is. As long as people continue to delude themselves, disregard history and the valuable lessons it offers, then we will be doomed to experience this butchery and heinous humanity on increasingly greater scales.

You are wrong about the caliphates.

They just declared one in Iraq. Prior to it there had been none since the Ottoman Empire. Just a minor point. [probably won't last]

You are quite correct about the violence inherent in the religion. Seems like Pakistan is averaging over one a day killing of women for Religious or educational reasons. Somalia, Nigeria, Afghanistan along with parts of Africa are being turned into a living nightmare by these peaceful religious people.

It is wonderful to have a book that talks about love and peace in it. Then comes out and says kill the infidels you just have to wonder. All over the world this peaceful religion is bringing disharmony.

They say it is the extremists. Well the extremists seem to have the backing of the normal peaceful people..

Here in Thailand the average Muslim citizen is peaceful. Yet in the last ten years the extremists have managed to kill 600 a year and show no sign of slowing down. About a year ago they caught about there of them because some citizen did the right thing and told the authorities where they could be found. I have no doubt in my mind that the normal every day Muslim's if they wanted to could tell the authorities of where at least 75% if not more of the extremists are located.

But do they? NO

• Like 1

You are wrong about the caliphates.

They just declared one in Iraq. Prior to it there had been none since the Ottoman Empire. Just a minor point. [probably won't last]

You are quite correct about the violence inherent in the religion. Seems like Pakistan is averaging over one a day killing of women for Religious or educational reasons. Somalia, Nigeria, Afghanistan along with parts of Africa are being turned into a living nightmare by these peaceful religious people.

It is wonderful to have a book that talks about love and peace in it. Then comes out and says kill the infidels you just have to wonder. All over the world this peaceful religion is bringing disharmony.

They say it is the extremists. Well the extremists seem to have the backing of the normal peaceful people..

Here in Thailand the average Muslim citizen is peaceful. Yet in the last ten years the extremists have managed to kill 600 a year and show no sign of slowing down. About a year ago they caught about there of them because some citizen did the right thing and told the authorities where they could be found. I have no doubt in my mind that the normal every day Muslim's if they wanted to could tell the authorities of where at least 75% if not more of the extremists are located.

But do they? NO

There has been a number of reports stating the local Muslim / Buddhist population are sick and tired of the conflict. It is claimed that the nine different insurgency groups comprise about 10k - 20k members that are countered by around 150k Thai security forces, with increasing success in killings of armed insurgents. Killing alone is not going to bring about an end to the conflict. As always stated by counter insurgency specialists there has to be a political component, a political solution that to date has evaded the Thai government.

Informers are regularly murdered, even Imams (example below) calling for peace are murdered by the "insurgents". The death toll is not just insurgent killings, but includes all sides of the conflict, of which the majority of deaths are Muslims. The Thai authorities have admitted that the death count allocated to the conflict is very likely inaccurate as many of the killings are gang / personal dispute related - not unique to the deep South as prevalent thoughout Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Leading-imam-shot-down-as-violence-escalates-in-So-30211971.html

Muslims killing Muslims? Possible, but I doubt it in this case. I'd wager that this attack was made by a private non-Muslim on local Muslims not to persecute Islam, but as some kind of retribution, possibly for some loved one(s) killed in the many Muslim attacks in the area.

Unfortunately the Muslim communities in the Middle East are at each others throats. Could be happening down south, hoping the Buddhists get the blame. It is more than possible. Just saying. Who knows?

Unfortunately the Muslim communities in the Middle East are at each others throats. Could be happening down south, hoping the Buddhists get the blame. It is more than possible. Just saying. Who knows?

The issue of sectarian killings between Sunni & Shia does not apply to the situation in the deep South.or elsewhere in Thaialnd