Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, no more double-entry tourist visas?

No, you can still apply for a double or triple entry tourist visa, but once it's used up,

you probably wouldn't be issued another one soon after.

That's not what the OP says - it says to be restrictive in back to back visas.

It couldn't be any clearer.

• Like 1

No, you can still apply for a double or triple entry tourist visa, but once it's used up,

Depends on what they consider a double or triple entry tourist visa to be?

My definition is it's a single visa, that permits you to enter 2 or 3 times.

• Like 1

Depends on what they consider a double or triple entry tourist visa to be?

My definition is it's a single visa, that permits you to enter 2 or 3 times.

I would consider it to be two or three visas.

Someone with more knowledge than me can confirm that if you don't re-enter before the allocated date then the visa is cancelled. That tells me that they look at it as two visas too - as you must qualify for each portion.

In saying that, tourist visas are not mentioned in the letter - I wonder if George was given additional info?

Edited by Pattszero

I believe there is, at least there was a non o( others)

This was a 1 year visa issued to people who had a letter of invitation from a Thai .

Not sure if it still exist or issued, but this might be the only choices for those wanting to stay long term but under the retirement age.

Yes ED is still an option but I think they will start testing the skills

• Like 1

The letter refers to the "visa exemption scheme". This is not the same as possessing a tourist visa, so it would appear not refer to tourist visas or multiple entry tourist visas.

The letter is issued to Embassies and Consulates, and they have nothing to do with the "visa exemption scheme". It is likely to somehow address the issuing of tourist visas as well as visa exemption, as we understand it, and as The Immigration Bureau understands it.

But the info is not clear IMO. Hopefully we will get a clarification.

The letter refers to the "visa exemption scheme". This is not the same as possessing a tourist visa, so it would appear not refer to tourist visas or multiple entry tourist visas.

The OP does mention in the last sentence that back to back Tourist Visas would be restrictive.

Previously the Immigration Bureau has announced a crackdown for border runners. The published letter is said to be a strong indication that the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates now has been instructed to be restrictive in issuing back-to-back tourist visas.

Does it mean no more visa exemptions or just no more than 1 visa exemption? Or is it talking about tourist visas?

Yea, terrible wording here in the OP.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says the crackdown is aimed to prevent visa runners who abuse the visa exemption scheme from working illegally in Thailand.

What exactly will be cracked down on Aug 12?

The letter is issued to Embassies and Consulates, and they have nothing to do with the "visa exemption scheme". It is likely to somehow address the issuing of tourist visas as well as visa exemption, as we understand it, and as The Immigration Bureau understands it.

But the info is not clear IMO. Hopefully we will get a clarification.

Indeed, it"s as clear as mud!

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Can any please explain - or point me in the direction of a relevant thread, that would perhaps shed some light or clarify how this might affect those visiting spouses ( and not working) in Thailand?

For example - Joe arrives in Thailand on a tourist visa for 30 days, visits immigration and extends for another 60 days since he is visiting his spouse and children. At the end of this period, Joe must leave Thailand by air to a neighbouring country - and then returning the next day, would then re-enter Thailand on another 30 day tourist visa. Thus - Joe begins the cycle again... and possibly again - unless he returns to his homeland for a period of time for whatever reason. Under these new rules, will Joe be adversely affected?

• Like 1

Not exactly the best move considering the current tourist numbers, but they seem to want to go down the route of punishing countries who don't have visa on arrival for Thais. Hopefully, the reciprocal will mean that Thais will be scrutinised when applying for visas, exempted from owning property, companies and opening bank accounts in other countries.

How will this effect ED visas?

• Like 1

Ummm ...

Thai Embassies and Consulates now has been instructed to be restrictive in issuing back-to-back tourist visas.

Embassies issue visas. Immigrations deals with visa exempt entries. The letter is written to embassies.

• Like 1

I believe there is, at least there was a non o( others)

This was a 1 year visa issued to people who had a letter of invitation from a Thai .

Not sure if it still exist or issued, but this might be the only choices for those wanting to stay long term but under the retirement age.

Yes ED is still an option but I think they will start testing the skills

The days when getting a Non O for visiting Thai friends have long gone,

You need to be over 50 or married, but even then it isn't that straight forward.

For example - Joe arrives in Thailand on a tourist visa for 30 days, visits immigration and extends for another 60 days since he is visiting his spouse and children. At the end of this period, Joe must leave Thailand by air to a neighbouring country - and then returning the next day, would then re-enter Thailand on another 30 day tourist visa. Thus - Joe begins the cycle again...

Why even have a stay limit if this is allowed? Just to screw 'Joe' around?

He'll be told to book the next flight out and not try again for x months. In fact once it happens often enough and airlines get sick of whinging 'Joes' asking for refunds they'll probably check their passports and tell them not to bother trying a re-entry.

there's no need to worry for people who do visa run with 'B' or 'O' visa, this letter is aimed at those who abused the exemption visa scheme i guess mainly against citizens of countries who were given 90 days per entry.

Those who abused that scheme won't be allowed to redeem themselves by attempting to buy a proper visa at an embassy.

that's all folks :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For example - Joe arrives in Thailand on a tourist visa for 30 days, visits immigration and extends for another 60 days since he is visiting his spouse and children. At the end of this period, Joe must leave Thailand by air to a neighbouring country - and then returning the next day, would then re-enter Thailand on another 30 day tourist visa. Thus - Joe begins the cycle again...

Why even have a stay limit if this is allowed? Just to screw 'Joe' around?

He'll be told to book the next flight out and not try again for x months. In fact once it happens often enough and airlines get sick of whinging 'Joes' asking for refunds they'll probably check their passports and tell them not to bother trying a re-entry.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a Joe having a spousal visa and visiting his wife and children ( who are Thai) but the limit imposed is ludicrous. I have been married for 12 years and have 4 children by the same wife and Im still stuck in this stupid cycle because I don't have a business based in Thailand. My business is a very successful one in the UK, but I choose to live here. Im just trying to clearly work out if my cycle of travel and visa extension will be affected by this new tightening of the rules.

• Like 2