Buffet Staff Attempt to limit me to Three Plates?

deknoiJT

What should he do then?

Wai at waitress and beg forgiveness for thinking the all you can eat buffet was in fact a crock of doggy doo doo.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You know and everyone else knows no one is limited to three normal sized plates at a buffet unless it is lobster or caviar. Normal and the OP are not in synch.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weho...... is that you?

We should be so lucky! clap2.gif

Weho was the BEST!

_________

General note. Not to Thaddeus.

Look, folks, I'm not THAT dense. Please stop insinuating that I am posting as this interesting and charming DeknoiJT character. Think about how STUPID that would be for me to do. Yes, it's obvious that he is playing some kind of playful shadow game with my identity. In my view, that's fun and can be taken in good humor. What's not fun is hecklers suggesting that person is me, because it's not. I've got my own issues with my own posts. I need a new DeknoiJT character to post under like a hole in the head. Got it now? thumbsup.gif Good.

Next ...

My good Sir, I can assure you I am playing no shadow game with your identity. I was barely aware of you until 2 months back. Even now I am not overly familiar.

Unless you have a fetish for brightly colored 'twirly caps' I see very little similarity in ourselves.

I apologise if some posters would think I am someone I am not.

Thanks for your response.wai.gif I don't really believe you, but that's my right, isn't it?rolleyes.gif So it's all a coincidence then? Gay check. Minority non-Christian religion check. Loves restaurants check. Overweight check. User name JT check.

Could be that someone is messing with you on the other hand it could be an coincidence. I would not have thought of it and I know of you. But now that you mention it i see your point. But I just don't see the point of doing something like that.

I agree with the OP if it's a buffet and no rules are posted about return times, they are out of bounds announcing new rules after the customer has committed to eating there. I also agree it is not necessarily (but may indeed be) glutinous to visit the buffet many times. That is because different people have different plans of attack at buffets. One might want small samples of a variety of foods ... and then later go back for more portions of the ones that prove personally pleasing. Or any number of reasons. Of course it is no secret many people overeat at buffets. That's their business ... and if restaurants are in the business of selling buffets, they've made the offer, they are obligated to HONOR it.

A buffet is a buffet and as long as there are no rules announced you should be able to eat all you want. I sometimes go to Oishi bufet for all the nice salmon and such. They do have a time limit there (seems only normal) Otherwise no limits, if there are limits they should be clear, however as this is Thailand you can't always expect it to be in English.

But I would say.. buffet means eat all you want for a certain time.

Some all you can eat buffets have time limits, and some do not.

Of course with buffets the price everyone pays is impacted by the reasonable expectation that some people are going to be eating quite a lot, especially of any special foods.

That limits the quality of the food on many buffets.

Exceptions might be very high priced buffets.

There's a difference between "buffet" which simply means that the customer serves his or her self and "all-you-can-eat buffet" is where the customer is welcome to gorge themselves to bursting point. The latter I particularly associate with the low food standards of America and the resulting waistlines of the people there.

If the OP's buffet wasn't specifically described as "all-you-can-eat buffet" then the staff were quite right trying to curb the gluttony of a selfish, inconsiderate customer.

• Like 2

Humor I guess. I don't really mind but I do mind to be falsely accused of BEING deknoiJT. That is not cool.

Stupid humor in my book why would you call yourself this unless your a total masochist

Dek = child

Noi = little

Loosely translated little child JT

Anyway stupid to do such a thing if it was intentional, and to be honest it does look a bit like this.

I want to know which place this was. I've tried just about every buffet in Pattaya (including several I would certainly never return to, even under duress) and no one has ever bothered me about the number of plates I have had.

The buffet or hotpot style places in shopping malls often have a time limit of about 75-90 minutes, but I think this is more to do with getting as many bums on seats as possible than to actually stop people eating. I've certainly never been tempted to hang around for more than an hour in those places anyway.

There's a difference between "buffet" which simply means that the customer serves his or her self and "all-you-can-eat buffet" is where the customer is welcome to gorge themselves to bursting point. The latter I particularly associate with the low food standards of America and the resulting waistlines of the people there.

If the OP's buffet wasn't specifically described as "all-you-can-eat buffet" then the staff were quite right trying to curb the gluttony of a selfish, inconsiderate customer.

I don't agree with you at all. If they have any limitations in their rules, they must state them before the customer commits. I realize there are common sense factors. For example if a buffet serves fresh crab and one customer takes ALL of the crab the moment it is put out and leaves no crab for other customers, the restaurant would be in their rights to BAN that customer from their establishment. But for that meal, he would have the right to eat his full ... of crab, or whatever.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thanks for your response.wai.gif I don't really believe you, but that's my right, isn't it?rolleyes.gif So it's all a coincidence then? Gay check. Minority non-Christian religion check. Loves restaurants check. Overweight check. User name JT check.

My dear boy, your sense of self importance and arrogance astounds me!!

Yes I am Gay. Are you allowed to be the only Gay on this forum?

No I am not part of a minority non-christian religion. I am Muslim. Not a minority. I have no idea what religion you are Sir.

I do not love restaurants more than any average Thaivisa poster. I love food. Good food. I am an excellent cook. Big difference.

Overweight? I am 120 kilos but I am also 192 cm (6'3). I have been a sporty type for many years. Do you play sport? I am a big boy, always have been.

User name JT?? They are the initials of my actual first and last name. J and T. I am sorry I did not message you for approval before I chose my username. Is that a requirement for all new Thaivisa members to message you for name approval!?

My nickname amongst friends and family, since i was 3 years of age, has been 'Little Man', ironic because I was always so large (like a giant man being called Tiny). In Thai, i was told Little Man is basically Deknoi...followed by the initials of my name.

• Like 2

Dude, I wouldn't have brought it up except that OTHERS saw the exact same thing that I saw and accused ME of posting under your user ID. I am not interested in arguing with you. If you weren't playing games with shadowing me, so be it, but believe me, based on all those coincidences it was not unreasonable for others (including me) to suspect that you were. Carry on and leave it be, OK?

Humor I guess. I don't really mind but I do mind to be falsely accused of BEING deknoiJT. That is not cool.

Stupid humor in my book why would you call yourself this unless your a total masochist

Dek = child

Noi = little

Anyway stupid to do such a thing if it was intentional, and to be honest it does look a bit like this.

There is a vein of paranoia running through here that is hysterical! giggle.gif

Let me look at you: Your name Robblok

Robb = Criminal/thief

Lok = pick the key hole

Am I to make out you are a burglar sir?

Is this name intentional? To be honest it does look a bit like this.

• Like 1

Dek = child

Noi = little

Robb = Criminal/thief

Lok = pick the key hole

You got me I am a burglar.. its a miracle that I have been able to get away with it for so long. You must be the smartest guy on Thaivisa. Please don't turn me in.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. If you offer a buffet, you have to understand some people like to eat a lot, for whatever reason. I like a good breakfast buffet and will have at least six plates/bowls of various items. That's what buffets are for.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I don't care what people do as long as they as polite and courteous.

You confuse me. You dont care what people do AS LONG AS....giggle.gif

So you actually do care a lot what people do. You impose YOUR conditions on other peoples behavior as to what is acceptable. What is polite and courteous to you might not be to others, my dear

I know people that go to buffets and gorge themselves ridiculously but they will also buy a few bottles of wine or other drinks with their meal

Well jolly good for them!!

Once again, there you are imposing your conditions of behavioral acceptance onto other people.

Unlike yourself, I choose to be my own person.

It would be just as insulting to ask for an extra half a dozen plates of food at the Mosque on Fridays.

How is that relevant Madam?? I am speaking here of a buffet restaurant, a place of business, designed specifically for the indulgence of food.

You compare that to a place of worship?

At least at a resuaraunt there is something worth worshiping.

I don't care what people do as long as they as polite and courteous.

You confuse me. You dont care what people do AS LONG AS....giggle.gif

So you actually do care a lot what people do. You impose YOUR conditions on other peoples behavior as to what is acceptable. What is polite and courteous to you might not be to others, my dear

I know people that go to buffets and gorge themselves ridiculously but they will also buy a few bottles of wine or other drinks with their meal

Well jolly good for them!!

Once again, there you are imposing your conditions of behavioral acceptance onto other people.

Unlike yourself, I choose to be my own person.

It would be just as insulting to ask for an extra half a dozen plates of food at the Mosque on Fridays.

How is that relevant Madam?? I am speaking here of a buffet restaurant, a place of business, designed specifically for the indulgence of food.

You compare that to a place of worship?

At least at a resuaraunt there is something worth worshiping.

Oh I don't know, go to a Catholic church you get a wafer and a sip of wine :lol:

I do go to the buffet 7, 8, or even 10 times. But then I do not like to mix my starter, mains, and dessert all on one plate. Never been stopped from doing that.

So you have 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. How many kilo's / pounds do you weigh ?

Buffet in Pattaya:

Dunno if ok to name it, but wifey and I were pretty happy with the spread obtainable for the breakfast buffet over at LK Royal Soi Bukhaou, near the Hospital.

Really, really was all you could eat between 6:30am and 11am.

all that for Bt150 per pers.

Only complaint we had, and it was about 'the one' female staffer, who made the mistake of judging the missus was a WL/BG.

I'm sure the suggestion book had her straightened out by now... so the deal should be good to go... and you do not have to be a guest

They didn't worry the 'uaan' russians about what they shoveled in - quite a spectacle w00t.gif

Robb = Criminal/thief

Lok = pick the key hole

You got me I am a burglar.. its a miracle that I have been able to get away with it for so long. You must be the smartest guy on Thaivisa. Please don't turn me in.

Thankyou for your compliment Sir! I am very smart.

My point though was to illustrate the folly of assumption and how ANY forum username can be twisted one way or the other. I admire your loyalty in standing up for your friend. wai.gif

The issue today though is the humble Buffet!

I do go to the buffet 7, 8, or even 10 times. But then I do not like to mix my starter, mains, and dessert all on one plate. Never been stopped from doing that.

So you have 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. How many kilo's / pounds do you weigh ?

The issue here is the serving portions. Most mid range buffet desserts are smaller in size. 5 or 6 star Hotels generally have larger portions when it comes to desserts.

3 self chosen mains at a buffet can often be less than a 3 course restaurant meal.

Robb = Criminal/thief

Lok = pick the key hole

Thankyou for your compliment Sir! I am very smart.

My point though was to illustrate the folly of assumption and how ANY forum username can be twisted one way or the other. I admire your loyalty in standing up for your friend. wai.gif

The issue today though is the humble Buffet!

Ok now you have to pay for my broken chair and desk and injuries i sustained while bouncing on the ground laughing. Me and JT friends cheesy.gif .

That I don't consider him a friend (not an enemy either) does not change the facts that we are in Thailand and that your name has a certain meaning and that there are other similarities. Coincidence. maybe but its a whole lot of coincidence.

I wasn't suggesting that massively overindulging at a buffet was couth, polite, or advisable -- only that customers should expect to eat all they like at a buffet at a restaurant unless limits are clearly communicated in advance of commitment.

• Like 1

Ok now you have to pay for my broken chair and desk and injuries i sustained while bouncing on the ground laughing. Me and JT friends cheesy.gif .

That I don't consider him a friend (not an enemy either) does not change the facts that we are in Thailand and that your name has a certain meaning and that there are other similarities. Coincidence. maybe but its a whole lot of coincidence.

I am sorry to hear you are no longer friends.

As for the other, not really a coincidence. If you read back a few posts or so you will see where I answered him and explained the name. From that answer you can see there is no similarity except the initials J & T.

If I may ask you: Do YOU like a buffet?

Edited by deknoiJT

Technically if you go and get served by someone, is it no longer actually a buffet?

The concept of being served a portion, not by yourself sounds very much more like a cafeteria instead