Buffet Staff Attempt to limit me to Three Plates?

deknoiJT

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a Mr Creosote in the making w00t.gif

...but I've always been prompted by my close Thais, to not eat like a farang.

A farang fills plate to overfilling and gorges in bursts ( I am visualising Homer Simpson's tactics here)

A Thai puts a bit on their plate, and comes back again, again, again, and... again, and again...

Do it the Thai way, and your eating experience won't be questioned wai.gif

A farang fills plate to overfilling and gorges in bursts ( I am visualising Homer Simpson's tactics here)

A Thai puts a bit on their plate, and comes back again, again, again, and... again, and again...

Another Thai way is to order the cheapest dish that includes unlimited salad bar and take the main home untouched after 20 trips to said salad bar.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another Thai way is to order the cheapest dish that includes unlimited salad bar and take the main home untouched after 20 trips to said salad bar.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was in the Bangkok, Pan Pan Italian restaurant and saw how abusive some can be at a buffet.

They have a nice 'anti-pasta bar' with lunch. You can order a small or large plate. (the small appetizer plate gets one trip to the anti-pasta bar)

I noticed a sign 'no sharing' and we watched a Thai lady pile it up high on the small plate, then added more, then added more then added more and even more after that.

It's was astonishing how much food could be piled so high, I thought she was going to get the entire buffet on a small plate.

Then she sat down and fed the entire family.

Edited by ZigZagMan

But why do people have the misconception that they need to eat as much as they can just because it's a buffet lol.

I know it's about the money and i love buffets but i will still eat as much as i feel like eating instead of stuffing my mouth until i can barely move just so i can say: even though i feel like vomiting, this money was well spent. I consumed as much food as i do during three meals on other occasions.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This reminds me of an occasion at a buffet in Ayutthaya. There were three grossly obese Americans sitting at the next table - two of them so large they could only walk with quad canes. They spent the whole time grumbling about how dreadful Thai food was - too spicy - whilst repeatedly refilling their plates, piling them high. Utter gluttony. And they accompanied all this with diet Coke!

• Like 1

Someone in the restaurant industry here told me that the cost (variable) for the avg 5 star buffet goer is between 28 and 35%. They obviously never seen my wife eat smoked salmon...

For the cheapo buffets I imagine the cost is a bit higher.

I hate to admit it, but he has a legitimate beef. The whole point of a buffet is that one can eat as much as they want. Personally, I rather go somewhere with better food and order a reasonable amount.

UG, don't you find this whole thread a little on the bizarre side? Has it happened to you? I've been to countless buffets in Thailand and never, I mean NEVER has anyone ever questioned how many times I go back for a dish. Was it a miscommunication? Perhaps. It's puzzling to me how farangs in Thailand find themselves in such bizarre situations that most of us folks don't. It's not just this thread, but various others. That's why I question many of the things that people say on this and other Thailand forums.

• Like 1

Unless its an international hotel's seafood on ice buffet dinner night and then step aside as a single Thai family clears the entire display in one fell swoop. biggrin.png